Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

Sonic Generations is starting to be released in several regions, confirmed so far include Texas, Denver, California, and a few others. As such, it's time to start discussion of the game. Mind you, this is not a spoiler topic, and so all spoilers should be marked with the appropriate tags. This topic is for discussion, help, impressions, and more of Sonic Generations. To make spoiler tags, simply type in your post a "[" symbol then the word "spoiler" then another "]". After this, you type out what you want to mark with spoilers, and then end it off with the same Spoiler tag but before writing the word spoiler and after the "[" symbol, you also type in the symbol "/", to signify that is the end of the spoiler. It'll be like this (don't worry, no spoilers in this one):

I was spoiled once!

Edited by Time Eater
  • Thumbs Up 1

The irony of Time Eater opening a Generations Help topic

But anyway, I'm thinking of doing some local checking of some stores to see if by luck one of the three Best Buys close by might be selling it early. The place I got Colors doesn't have it, but I do want to try but am also thinking it might turn up fruitless.

So....

My system specs is something like this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows 7

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU ---860 @ 2.80GHz, 2793 MHz

8 GB ram

ATI Radeon 5770

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should i get the PC version, or 360 version?

I figure Getting the PC version would be Fine, but i wanted to know what everybody else thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

If anyone needs help on the game, I can help now. I was gifted with a most wonderful surprise by my dad after he came home tonight, he knew I canceled my pre-order in the hopes to get it early (I could pre-order again at a different store a couple days ahead if nothing turned up) but he had the game. I just played up to rescuing Amy, and I am WAY to tired right now to post my full impressions but I am having a wonderful time with the game, say more why I am when I am not struggling to go to sleep. Thinking I might go through two files at once, make a post why on the spoiler topic for anyone who doesn't care. It's almost 5 AM here, type more when I wake up.

How does Modern GHZ feel compared to the demo? And can you get under 1min on Classic GHZ with the help of the skills and stuff?

How does Modern GHZ feel compared to the demo? And can you get under 1min on Classic GHZ with the help of the skills and stuff?

I know I can indefinitely not answer the second question, I don't even have any skills yet (or really messed with that element of the game yet).

I recall someone during early game-plays, stated that skills are only for Modern sonic. Though I could be wrong.huh.png

I recall someone during early game-plays, stated that skills are only for Modern sonic. Though I could be wrong.huh.png

Skills are for both Sonics, we've seen it in a few playthroughs now. There's a deal on the right side that says "Act 1, Act 2, or both."

The game's release date is on November 4th in Europe. So that I got a confirmed shipment email on October 29th frightens and confuses me. I'm I'm lucky I'll be playing the game tomorrow, half a week before the rest of the continent.

Yay for preorder screwups! Unless this sort of thing is normal, then it's yay for ignorance!

Holy incompetent delivery man.

The official release date for Sonic Generations is November 4th in the EU, November 1st in NA. If I'd bothered to check my mail on a saturday, I'd have been playing the game on October 29th. As it is, I have the game in my hand right now.

All Scandinavian members, choose CDON.COM for your preorders. They screwup delivery ridiculously in the opposite direction of normal screwups. Delivering the game six days before release date is incompe-awesome!

Not sure where to ask this but I would like to know what we have in the options menu. I recall someone saying that the white noise boost filter can be turned off, but I never got confirmation one way or the other.

I've played through the modern and classic version of the first three levels, and I'm really impressed. I'm a guy who hasn't played the demo, and has avoided pretty much all the pre-release info out of a desire to play it for myself before I make up my mind.

And now I have.

Here my mind:

Classic Sonic is somewhat floaty, and it's literally completely utterly impossible (in my brief experience) to predict obstacles if you want to speed forward. So getting all the upper paths on the first try without having at least watched a video of the level just isn't going to happen, but that's just fine because the lower paths don't kill or punish you, they just mean you miss out on a shortcut or a red star ring, and it makes you all the more hyped to give the same level another go now that you know what you passed by. However, so much iconic level structure is lovingly recreated that for large portions of each level you'll instinctively know where to go from your memories of Sonic 1, 2 and Sonic & Knuckles. The developers even went to the trouble of placing a few secret spots right where they were back then, so wink, wink.

Modern Sonic controls like a hybrid between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed, and it works great. Using forward dash to correct a jump too short works just as it should without overshooting as is wont to happen in Unleashed. For everyone who loved Sonic Colors but wished there was more 3D sections, this is for you. Unlike Classic, Modern can tell what's coming in time to react unless you're boosting, but learning when to boost and when to run normally has always been the trick since Unleashed, and this is no different. You don't want to boost to win; the stretches were boosting is preferable are easy to spot, and managing to boost between those is a skill for repeat playthroughs.

Both Sonics are flawed deliberately, as a consequence of the game having a skill shop. My primary complaint with Sonic & the Secret Rings was that the controls were murderously horrible, and that was because Sonic was nerfed beyond recognition so that good controls could be unlocked through play, instead of just being how Sonic controlled normally. Facepalm. Hard. Fortunately, in Generations, the Sonics control just fine from the onset, and in addition to being lots of unlockable skills that make play easier, there's plenty of skills that make play harder but let you get higher scores if you master them. So that's alright.

On the subject of filler, I'm so happy to say that pressing Start on a new file starts the game immediatelly on Classic Green Hill Zone. The first cutscene happens afterward, and from then on you're free to go from level to level with no sidequest hassle. At least, until the boss. Then you've got to beat a chosen three missions out of nine (I think) to get keys to open the boss stage. That's filler, but with eighteen levels total they can be forgiven for adding a little padding, and applauded for letting the player choose which missions they'd have most fun playing and whether or not they want to go the quick path of the completionist path.

Also, Omochoa is incredibly annoying. Turn him off on the options screen without a second's hesitation. He NEVER EVER says anything you wouldn't be able to figure out on your own, and frankly he spends most of his time insulting your intelligence. I kept him on for the levels I played to see if he'd earn his keep, so I don't yet know if turning off Omochao removes those handy BOTTOMLESS PIT HERE signs. If the signs are removed, then that's a sacrifice worth making.

Bottom line, I'm really enjoying this game. Woo!!

EDIT: Turning off Omochao does not remove the bottomless pit signs. So make like Sonic Adventure 2, and drop-kick him off a platform.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy
  • Thumbs Up 5

Is the content from the Bonus Bells the same each time or random?

The bell releases a music note, and once you catch it, you'll unlock either artwork or music. At least, that's what it always gives me.

That probably didn't need to be spoilered, but some people may want that to be a surprise for whatever reason.

That being said, I got Sonic Generations today, and I just can't get over how much better Modern Sonic controls for me in comparison to Colors and Unleashed. I never played any of the demos, so this is my first experience with the game. The only complaint(although minor) that I have so far is about the S-ranks. They just feel...too easy to achieve in this game. I had more trouble attaining an S-rank in one act of a stage in Colors, than I had with achieving S-ranks for the first three stages of this game, with both Sonics. Maybe getting S-ranks will be more difficult in the Dreamcast and Modern era stages. Regardless of that, I'm still loving this game far more than Colors and Unleashed.

The bell releases a music note, and once you catch it, you'll unlock either artwork or music. At least, that's what it always gives me.

I understand this, but I want to know is if the notes are will release Art and Music when you clear specific challenges or if they're randomized.

Also, Omochoa is incredibly annoying. Turn him off on the options screen without a second's hesitation. He NEVER EVER says anything you wouldn't be able to figure out on your own, and frankly he spends most of his time insulting your intelligence.

I'm planning on keeping him on. I like Omochao and I don't find him annoying.

I understand this, but I want to know is if the notes are will release Art and Music when you clear specific challenges or if they're randomized.

I'm pretty sure it's randomized, I haven't noticed any particular patterns myself so far.

Just finished the game. My opinion of this game is largely unchanged. It's just plain fun, and probably highest concentrated dose of nostalgia anything has ever injected me with. I feel like it's 1994 again playing this game.

One thing that I really didn't see coming (post-game):

Modern Super Sonic can fly. In normal levels. Fly. Sure, it's performs mainly like Shadow's Chaos Control burst in his eponymous game, and it eats through rings ridiculously fast, but still! They actually went and designed a way for Super Sonic to be able to fly in levels.

Applause!

This thread needs moar impressions! How is it that we only got 1? (beside the fact that tomorrow is the US release date)

Anyone else that got it early around here?

Edited by Djawed

I wasn't going to mention this, because I assumed all of them spoiler-mongers frequenting this sub-forum would consider it old news, but I gotta say that the endgame revelation

that Eggman was the real villain behind the Monster of the Week came as a huge and very welcome surprise to me. After Chaos, the Biolizard, Solaris, Dark Gaia and Black Doom, I accepted the idea that the Time Eater would be the main threat without a second thought. At best I'd assume Eggman was somehow responsible for unleashing the monstrosity yet had failed to control it. To find out that Eggman not only loosed the Time Eater but also had complete control over the monster and was using it to carry out his own agenda rocked my socks. Nothing could be better for the game celebrating Sonic's history than putting the original villain back in centre spotlight - both of him.

Man, I'm glad I avoided this sub-forum all these months. I'd have been so cheesed off if that twist was spoiled for me before I could see it for myself.

EDIT: 360 version here. Framerate is lookin-fine.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy