Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

The game sure ends on a low note. I didn't care for either Planet Wisp levels, Egg Dragoon was good, but then the final boss was pretty lame. Not even catchy music during the fight. =(

Also when

Modern says to Classic "Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great!" or something like that I couldn't help but think Moderns nose was going to grow 50 feet long. =( I mean sure the series is in much better shape now, but Modern could have thrown a warning to classic about the dark days ahead too.

Edited by speedfreak

I prefer the Classic GAMES, but Modern Sonic has really grown since Unleashed. I always like the Adventure-Shadow era games, but they felt like they weren't Sonic games as I saw them. Yeah, they were fast...but what else differentiated them from other platformers? Dash pads, jump panels...all of that stuff was there to keep the game artificially fast to hold onto it's series legacy. Nevermind all the divergent playstyles.

The Unleashed gameplay holds little to nothing in common with Classic gameplay...and nails the style perfectly. Spindashing and jumping to break the level and shortcut? Now, you boost through the air. Alternate routes...high, middle and low? You access them differently, but it's similar to the Classics. The rolling with momentum has real potential to be integrated into sliding in future games. When I play Unleashed/Generations, the 3D segments are different from Classic technically..but I feel they replicate the momentum spiritually. The Unleashed style needs to nerf the boost and make it a MOVE (like spindash) with temporary use, but otherwise...I hope the Unleashed style stays.

Generations...has made me realize how natural the progression is. I still like the Adventure era, but we're much better off now.

Edited by Crazizzle
  • Thumbs Up 2

Modern Crisis City is probably my favourite level. Reviewers hated it, I for one love it. With the right skill set, there are some awesome things that you can pull off. Right at the beginning for example, my skill set allowed me to leap right past the trio of flaming bat enemies if I managed to Blast Off at the start. So very satisfying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also when

Modern says to Classic "Enjoy your future, it's gonna be great!" or something like that I couldn't help but think Moderns nose was going to grow 50 feet long. =( I mean sure the series is in much better shape now, but Modern could have thrown a warning to classic about the dark days ahead too.

Edit: Didn't know if we had to spoiler tag in here so I did just to be safe.

• Thumbs Up 8

Well hey, to be fair, Sonic didn't remember 2006 and probably had a totally fun adventure of his own against the Black Arms while Shadow was having his spotlight. =O

• Thumbs Up 4

I still can't get over how perfect Classic Robotnik/Eggman was. Looks, voice, personality. Perfection.

Edited by Swiss

I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who liked the final boss. Not just tolerated it, but actually enjoyed the fight and feel up for a replay for fun. Don't get me wrong, I can't fault the criticism, but I like a boss that takes me a moment to figure out how to defeat. And once I had the Time Eater figured out, it was great fun.

It was actually pretty easy, and while I don't necessarily like it per se, I did tolerate it, but it was just kinda boring. Also, I didn't like hard mode, which was still fairly easy, but dragged on for nine whole minutes. Getting to play as two different super sonics was fun though.

Modern Crisis City is probably my favourite level. Reviewers hated it, I for one love it. With the right skill set, there are some awesome things that you can pull off. Right at the beginning for example, my skill set allowed me to leap right past the trio of flaming bat enemies if I managed to Blast Off at the start. So very satisfying.

I like it too, though I've been practicing for the speedrun tourney so I'm not using skills. It's really fun though, and it truly feels like a great combination of speed and platforming while being more open like Sky Sanctuary or Seaside Hill. (aside from sections like those where you have to stomp on the platforms with the lava flows, which just fuck up the pace of the level.)

Quick question: Is there a list of all the unlockable music tracks and possibly which ones are found where?

I thought all the people complaining about modern Sonic controlling weirdly in Crisis City were exagerrating, but seriously he accellerates from a standing position much faster than normal, making him a slippery little feller. What's weirder is that the modern Crisis City doppelganger mission was the easiest one of the lot for me - didn't even need to obsessively stick to shortcuts to make the S-rank time.

"Hey Sonic- enjoy your future! It'll be great!"

*classic Sonic and classic Tails leave*

*Tails walks up next to Sonic as they both stare off into the distance*

*heartwarming music starts to play*

"Didn't tell 'em huh?"

"Well...It's like I said before...."

*camera slowly pans up to the sky*

"An adventure's no fun, if it's too easy. Heh."

*fade out- cue the credits*

Come on Colors/Generation's writers, step it up, I'm creamin' you over here. <w< >w>

I don't know, I can't shake this feeling Generations is a very risky experiment Sonic Team / SEGA are pulling, probably wouldn't be wise to go overboard in some aspects :P

Crisis City Modern was the source of two of the five major glitches I experienced in the game. I glitched on a scripted loop, which reminded me heavily of 06...

• Thumbs Up 1

"Hey Sonic- enjoy your future! It'll be great!"

*classic Sonic and classic Tails leave*

*Tails walks up next to Sonic as they both stare off into the distance*

*heartwarming music starts to play*

"Didn't tell 'em huh?"

"Well...It's like I said before...."

*camera slowly pans up to the sky*

"An adventure's no fun, if it's too easy. Heh."

*fade out- cue the credits*

Come on Colors/Generation's writers, step it up, I'm creamin' you over here. <w< >w>

Given how SEGA has been de-listing critically shit Sonic games, I honestly doubt they would have allowed a scene which referenced the quality of the previous games, even if the writers wanted to (which they probably would have)

Edited by Scar

The playtrough by DSP is pretty sweet for the most part. The Highlights were when he tries to remember the the past stages and stuff and get's all nostalgic, it was pretty awsome when he sang along Open your Heart. But like always the downside is when he's being annoying and blames the game when he craps up.

http://www.youtube.c...959E2966FCF78CE

Edited by ChikaBoing

Crisis City Modern was the source of two of the five major glitches I experienced in the game. I glitched on a scripted loop, which reminded me heavily of 06...

When I was drifting in Speed Highway some car hit me and I felt through the floor.

Given how SEGA has been de-listing critically shit Sonic games, I honestly doubt they would have allowed a scene which referenced the quality of the previous games, even if the writers wanted to (which they probably would have)

Well, they did reference the "insignificant" characters.

Still haven't had the chance to play the game, but I see I'm not the only one who noticed the graphics in the cutscenes look really jagged, especially the opening. =/ Quite distracting, and a step down from Unleashed which had great looking cutscenes. And that one came out in 2008.

I like your stupid Sonic game SSMB, how does that make you feel?

Haaaaallelujah, haaaallelujah! 8D

Edited by Gabz Girl

Got the game, love the game. There's lot of missed potential though. Best thing is the soundtrack no doubt. I can't believe so many of you went and spoiled it for yourselves! Hearing it first hand was amazing. I actually cried when You're My Hero first played.

Got my own typo-riddled and not properly thought out review below if'n you're interested.

Gameplay- 8/10

This is one place where the game really shines. Modern Sonic's gameplay really surprised me, with the stages not only featuring their own gimmicks at last but actual 3D gameplay! Almost everything after Green Hill really amazed me. Paths are split in so many ways, some being simple shortcuts and others taking you to different routes entirely. It's actually fun to explore the world for a change while navigating 3D obstacle courses. The 2D sections, which thankfully there are thankfully much fewer in number than in both Colours and Unleashed, have also received an overhaul so you're not just jumping an boring blocks all the time. There's a lot of them, but they're better laid out and there are other things to break up the pace too. The controls are, most importantly, spot on. Sonic is controllable at high speeds, low speeds and even in the air. The only issues are when you have control taken away from you following a ramps, spring, dash panel and when there's so much going on that the game doesn't respond to your inputs at all. Those moments aren't infrequent and get very annoying. On another note, I really don't think the boost is needed any more. It doesn't do anythign interesting and I can't even see why it's necessary for the brutally fast moments.

Classic's gameplay is a real marvel too. It's not exactly like the Classic games- the levels are much blockier, cramped and the physics aren't 1:1, though that does nothing to detract from the feeling that you're playing a real old-school Sonic game. The level designs make a much better Sonic 4 than what S4E1 gives us. They're just short and very safe. Apart from Planet Wisp, none of them really have any grandeur or creative layouts. They're so basic. What I said before about control being taken away from the player is even more of an issue in the Classic gameplay because it genuinely gets in the way of fun this time and you're far more likely to notice it. Sounds like I'm complaining quite a lot here- it's just that there's a lot that's feels like it could be improved to make it even better than it already is.

Now for the genuinely not-so-good stuff. Boss battles. They're good and for the first time in AGES they were fun to play. Well, for five seconds they're fun. After that they're finished. Very short and very easy. Challenges as well aree really nice in number, but they're forgettable. Most of them weren't too great, with the best ones being the co-op ones. I rally can't see myself going back and replaying them though.

Sound- 10/10

I can't fault the brilliant soundtrack of various tracks from Sonic's past. The Modern mixes are really nice because they seems to do something new with the original tracks, very often adding new parts and really taking the tracks to never levels. It's the Classic mixes that stand out the most though. The mixes of real instruments and pop-synths works a fantastic treat everywhere, and it's EXACTLY what the Classic games did. The way they took tracks like Crisis City and City Escape and make them sounds Classic without sacrificing the original feeling was brilliants. The sources they pulled from too... wow. You're My Hero? My favourite Sonic theme tune ever, and it comes from the secondary version of an often ignored game? Well done, sound team.

Graphics- 8/10

Dunno how much I can elaborate on this honestly. The low resolution of the game takes a heavy toll on the otherwise beautiful visuals. There are quite a few moments where the framerate dips (not as frequently or for as long as Unleashed though) too. One thing that really stood out to me though was the paper cut-out back drops. I noticed them quite a few times, especiall in City Escape Classic and Sky Sanctuary Modern. They just look bad.

Presentation- 4/10

This is including everything from the story to the hub world by the way. The hub was pretty awesome. It meshed with the gameplay very nicely and was easy to navigate. It was just a bit boring. I'm one of the guys who really liked the entrance stages in Unleashed and would have rather seen something bigger like them. Scrapping the full on Adventure Fields of SA1, '06 and Unleashed was good idea for gameplay to be honest, I just wish what we got instead wasn't so safe. The way we collected Emeralds too seems really pointless and tacked on. What was the point of defeating bosses to get them, when you basically just have to collect them to progress anyway? Especially since there's only six bosses and one of Emeralds is just handed to you mid game.

Now onto story. What the fuck? There was NOTHING there. There's keeping the plot simple like Colours, and then there's stripping away absolutely everything. The game itself is the story, sure, but more cutscenes and dialogue absolutely would not have gone a miss. I was so excited to finally get all of the other characters back in a main game and they ended up being all kinds of pointless. They amount to showing up for missions and giving a short "I'm free" speech and then showing up in missions. That was really disappointing.

And here's something that I personally found to be even worse. Classic voices. Tails and Eggman had absolutely fine voices. But Sonic? He didn't have a voice. I was so happy when we found out Classic Sonic would be mute, but they literally screwed up all potential that had. It just sort of happened that way and nobody batted an eye lid. So, why was he mute? And why did Classic Tails, Eggman and Metal Sonic even talk? That completely defeated the purpose of Sonic himself being mute. Wasn't impressed by this at all, or by the lack of Classic Amy and Knuckles for no reason. The script itself (what little of it there was) was alright. The self-referential jokes were funny, from Classic Eggman saying nobody calls him Robotnik to Classic Sonic trying to pull off a homing attack. Not as cringe-worthy as Colours, but also absolutely lacking substance. I wonder if this might have anything to do with the voice cast being five times larger (international versions).

Last note on this part- why the FMV cutscenes are so low res is beyond me, but they look horrendous and should never have been allowed to pass.

Lasting Appeal- 7/10

Holy hell is this game short. I know Sonic games are short by nature, but good God the story is over in a couple of hours. And there's only 18 stages, with several unappealing missions on the side. Each Sonic only has one act to run through in each stage, and each act is feels short and is insanely easy. They're definitely replayable, there's just nowhere near enough of them. *slightlyofftopic* This is why Sonic games really benefit from extra characters. They've got the level design down to a tee, now they should bulk it up with extra characters. If you could play as say Tails and Knuckles, the game would be tripled length. Extra paths and different abilities really go a long way.

Overall- 8/10

It's one of the best Sonic games since S3K. I can't argue with that as far as it goes on the fun side of things. The game's length, lack of difficulty and dire presentation really let it down. The level design for Classic Sonic feels safe too, as does much of the rest of the game. It does leave me wanting more. More of the same for Modern and more of the same for Classic.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've just beat all the modern rooftop run missions and figured out a tactic for Vector's mission

Keep your distance and only move in when you need to, then move out again and on the last shot run for it

^ Blue Blood's pretty much summed up my feelings here. I was hoping someone would XD, since I don't have the time to write a review of my own.

Lol, one of my degree modules is called 'Employment Possibilities', and I nearly submitted it with the title 'Endless Possibilities' XP. That's what I get for spending a whole day and a half with this game non-stop. =P

Yes, there are only eighteen stages, but there are NINETY missions - some really fun, some sucking hard. There are also enough different skills to experiment that those eighteen acts can be played a dozen different ways, and they have enough branching pathways that you'd have to clear most of them three times just to see every path.

Yes, the main acts are really easy, but that's why they each have a doppelganger mission that's really hard.

Yes, the bosses are easy, but that's why every single one has a Hard Mode that isn't.

Yes, the story is short and misses a lot of opportunities at self-referential humour, but...okay, I got nothing on that one.

Honestly, this game deserves kudos for going so far to appeal to both casual and hardcore players alike.

Yes, there are only eighteen stages, but there are NINETY missions - some really fun, some sucking hard. There are also enough different skills to experiment that those eighteen acts can be played a dozen different ways, and they have enough branching pathways that you'd have to clear most of them three times just to see every path.

Like I said, most of the missions weren't too special. I really don't see myself playing them again. The skills are a fun addition though, but it'd be better if they lets you do things you couldn't do on your first run.

Yes, the main acts are really easy, but that's why they each have a doppelganger mission that's really hard.

Eh, they were alright. Hard mode, ala SA2 or Unleashed DLC, would have been better.

Yes, the bosses are easy, but that's why every single one has a Hard Mode that isn't.

The hard mode bosses are still too easy.

Yes, the story is short and misses a lot of opportunities at self-referential humour, but...okay, I got nothing on that one.

tongue.png

Honestly, this game deserves kudos for going so far to appeal to both casual and hardcore players alike.

Absolutely.

I'm replaying some of the stages now, especially the Classic ones. Rooftop Run is sadly lame, while Chemical Plant is something amazing.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

If you aren't putting the original Super Sonic Racing track on for all the doppleganger races, you're doing it wrong, good sirs

• Thumbs Up 4

If you aren't putting the original Super Sonic Racing track on for all the doppleganger races, you're doing it wrong, good sirs

Race to win says other wise

The hard mode bosses are still too easy.

But Egg Dragoon

Edited by 06 Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

I also, I would easily trade all these silly, tiny, sometimes boring challenges for one more act of each Classic and Modern, would be a much better game, I think

Did this game make anyone else think "I really wish they didn't make Sonic 4 already."? That's how I feel. It would have been the perfect follow up, and way to use the Classic designs again, but no, they already pulled that shit last year. Everythign S4 does, Classic gameplay in this does better.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also, I would easily trade all these silly, tiny, sometimes boring challenges for one more act of each Classic and Modern, would be a much better game, I think

Call it one more act for each era and you would have me sold, good sir (or madam).

Lord knows there's more than enough games.