Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

In a game with Classic stage progression, two distinct styles of play and a 1:2 ratio of boss battles for these play styles, six just isn't enough (not gonna count Time Eater). It doesn't help either that three of the six bosses and simple chases. The Silver and Metal battles are very similar, uninteresting and easy. There's definitely not enough bosses.

Did it first try. Didn't see that it was much harder to be honest.

Ehh, I like the silver rival fight. It's not as difficult as i thought it would be but definitely is fun.(epic if you play his world during it.happy.png )Still not as good as shadows.

That Egg dragoon battle though...Not my most favorite battle. but okay i guess. PC is probably my most favorite battle.

Perfect Chaos was weird. Half the time I didn't even know where Sonic was going because my view was blocked, the other half was me being confused about the layout, and I stiil S-Ranked it on the first try.

I also forgot to mention that the 'Happy Birthday Sonic!' clip at the end of the credits actually made me choke up a bit from happiness. I guess knowing that my voice was within the 1000s that screamed that very line really hit a soft spot. And the fact that it's really been 20 years since we were originally introduced to the little blue critter. All that love, shown in just 3 words. Magical.

You may laugh at me...now. :P

• Thumbs Up 9

I got Sonic Generations on release day. I have enjoyed it a lot, beat the main story in two days. I have gone through and gotten S Ranks on all the stages, bosses and rivals (regular and Hard Mode, except for Time Eater on Hard Mode.) and completed all the Challenges, except for one.

The one with Amy in Modern Chemical Plant. I can't figure out how to do that at all. D: I was able to pull off the high jump once, other than that, I can't seem to get it to work again. I'm getting frustrated with it. Any tips on it? =/

Edited by Kohaku

You have to time the second button press right, There's a gauge that appears when Amy is summoned, and you can high jump when the marker goes into the specified area of it.

You have to time the second button press right, There's a gauge that appears when Amy is summoned, and you can high jump when the marker goes into the specified area of it.

That worked. Thanks! :)

Amy's challenge pissed me off so much. Not because it was hard, just because of her god-damn voice. OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Still doesn't top homing shot though.

Amy's challenge pissed me off so much. Not because it was hard, just because of her god-damn voice. OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Still doesn't top homing shot though.

Nothing is worse then the final boss (with all the characters speaking @_@ )

Sonic Generations is probably my favorite 3D Sonic game ever right about now. It took long enough, but I finally feel like I've played a 3D Sonic game I enjoy more than the original Sonic Adventure. It's obvious that Sonic Team took great attention to detail when re-imagining each and every single one of these stages because it certainly shows. It's not without its flaws, but at the end of the day it's a fantastic Sonic experience well worth my time.

I never really felt like I got the full grasp of classic Sonic while playing. His jump still feels awkwardly heavy to me and I found myself controlling him considerably better with the Speed Shoe power up activated. I can't help be but a little bothered by that. I also don't like the idea of single button Spin Dash rendering manual input Spin Dash completely worthless, but it's a rather trivial issue.

Control issues with modern Sonic were almost completely absent from my playthrough. There were times where I felt like there was some input delay (or even some inputs the game simply didn't pick up) but those moments were few and far between. The way he controls compliments the levels perfectly. Even ones like Sky Sanctuary and Crisis City Act 2 that required a bit of finesse and calculating 3D platforming to get through things safely. The way Sonic controls (without equipping the Acceleration skill) is almost like a combination between Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure which really felt nice.

The framerate was pretty bad at points but I never found it hindering the experience. It's really only specific moments in levels from what I've been able to gather. Never really bothered me too much. Anyway, on to the more important bits:

I'll be honest here. I think modern Sonic blows classic Sonic out of the water at every turn in Sonic Generations. While the majority of classic Sonic's stages were quite fun (with the exception of Planet Wisp Act 1 which was just a massive pain in the ass) none of them were really as fun as their modern counterparts. Sure I could say that I enjoyed a stage like Sky Sanctuary Act 1 more than Planet Wisp Act 2, but Sky Sanctuary Act 2 is on a whole 'nother level as far as I'm concerned.

Even when looking at stages that were originally 2D being re-imagined, I find the modern Sonic versions of them to be far more interesting and they tend to have a lot more to them. The 2D perspective of classic Sonic almost felt like a limiter on the game designers as far as what they could do. I don't really know, that's just how I felt going through the game.

The rival and boss battles seemed to get better and better as you progressed through the game. I was not terribly fond of Sonic 2's Death Egg Robot (Why they ever chose Sonic 2's over the much more ominous and cooler Death Egg Robot fight from Sonic and Knuckles' Death Egg I'll never know), but Metal Sonic's fight was alright. Both were incredibly easy tho'.

Shadow's boss battle was also piss easy but I still found it awesome regardless. None of the bosses are legitimately challenging outside of Egg Dragoon (which I think is easily the best boss in the game) and Time Eater.

Unfortunately, Time Eater was only 'challenging' due to how unbelievably slow, clunky and confusing the entire thing was. It didn't even have an awesome tune to fall back on. Everything's just lame, the music, the fight.. Everything. It really sucks that the Time Eater boss battle was such absolute garbage in comparison to everything else in the game. A really sour note for the entire game to end on. Seriously, it's almost Dark Gaia Phase 1 tier in how genuinely awful it is. Regardless of its quality, it doesn't really change at all how I feel about the game overall.

The Challenge Acts were hit or miss, but that's to be expected with things like this. A good amount of them were inoffensive but there are a select few that are extremely annoying. One that immediately comes to mind is Planet Wisp Act 2's 3rd Challenge Act where you're prompted to use Charmy's whirlwind move to create a pathway to make it to the goal ring. On the other hand, there were several Challenge Acts that I found extremely fun like Rooftop Run Act 2's Challenge 3, Sky Sanctuary Act 2's Challenge 1, and Planet Wisp Act 1's Challenge 1.

The Red Star Rings are annoying to get at times (I haven't gotten all of them yet), but it definitely helps that Sonic's friends will give you and idea where they are. Otherwise I honestly wouldn't find most of them. I suppose the reason why I've gotten so few of them is because the rewards don't seem all that great for getting them in the first place. I do intend to get them all just as I've completed all the Challenge Acts already. So yeah. To summarize:

Modern takes it over classic Planet Wisp and Time Eater suck, the rest of the game is godlike and Sky Sanctuary is the best stage in the game for both Sonics..

..as it should be. :3

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm finding classic's stages to be a lot more fun than modern's, which are good too but I was never a fan of the gameplay style, and it was only because Generations toned down the cheap reaction times and such (while still keeping the 3D sections more engaging than Colors's) that I was able to tolerate and enjoy it here. The only times I felt that modern was better than classic were Chemical Plant and Planet Wisp, and the latter was due to classic's sucking really bad for reasons everyone should know by now.

As thrilling as modern's stages can be, I find classic's to be somewhat more concise and substantial, and in some cases more exciting than their modern counterparts (City Escape and Crisis City are the two main examples). Classic Sonic's physics still need some work - granted, they don't rub me the wrong way like Sonic 4's do - but the way classic controlled and the way his stages were designed were a lot better than modern's 2D sections, which now seem incredibly redundant and at times, a hassle.

With that said, I felt that for the most part, both classic and modern stages got better as the game progressed, and there were moments in modern's levels that really surprised me and I enjoyed. Aside from classic Planet Wisp and modern Green Hill, there weren't any other levels I outright didn't like. The abundance of city levels is still very distracting though.

So I've been trying to get as many S-ranks and completed missions as I can, but I haven't been playing modern's levels as often as classic's. The classic stages honestly feel like something I can jump into anytime.

• Thumbs Up 1

.....No PS3 *Grumble* *Grumble*, its 2008 all over again for me. Why is it so hard for me to find a job?

I'll go back to playing Colors like a broke person *sulks away*.

.....No PS3 *Grumble* *Grumble*, its 2008 all over again for me. Why is it so hard for me to find a job?

I'll go back to playing Colors like a broke person *sulks away*.

ill join you :P

Edited by Soniman032-

Get the PC version, from I hear it's almost half the price with twice the graphical quality of the console ports.

I was fighting Shadow with Live and Learn blasting when suddenly it just repeated itself and I'm like "What? FUUUuUUU!!" Then I got Open Your Heart and I was fighting PC when the same thing happened.

It appears that this game uses the Brawl music files for Open Your Heart and Live and Learn. Which really sucks because that's about a third of the whole song and it loops and gets incredibly repetitive. Two of the best songs in Sonic history, ruined by a simple mistake in files. Sonic Heroes is also in this game, and it was also featured in Brawl, so I'm assuming that we're getting the neutered version of that one as well. Damn shame.

I hope they fix this problem in the first update that gets released. Maybe I should send an e-mail voicing my concern.

You are correct about Sonic Heroes, too. And yeah it sucks.

If you're interested, here is my video review:

Nice review. Very well done. I disagree with you on parts of it (gameplay and story wise anyway, I agree with you wholly on the visuals and sound barring voice acting), but that doesn't change the fact that this is a well thought out and entertaining review.

Oh and the ending made me chuckle XD

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

If I may adress the "Help" portion of this thread.

I'm struggling with the Planet Wisp Act 2 mission involving rocket wisp.I can't figure out why the rocket sometimes goes straight through block immediatelly, and sometimes takes five seconds to grind through each one. I've tried using the Y button to charge, but there's no consistency, because sometimes it breaks through immediatelly without charging at all.

I'd also really love some help hitting the goal ring on the first try. I can manage to get to it with spare seconds for an S-rank, but the damned thing is so hard to thit.

If you're interested, here is my video review:

Considering it's rare that I agree with you on here, I didn't expect to like this review as much as I did. Very, very nice job!

If I may adress the "Help" portion of this thread.

I'm struggling with the Planet Wisp Act 2 mission involving rocket wisp.I can't figure out why the rocket sometimes goes straight through block immediatelly, and sometimes takes five seconds to grind through each one. I've tried using the Y button to charge, but there's no consistency, because sometimes it breaks through immediatelly without charging at all.

I'd also really love some help hitting the goal ring on the first try. I can manage to get to it with spare seconds for an S-rank, but the damned thing is so hard to thit.

The wisp powers don't require charging to use, holding Y only delays the activation for a second or two but if you hold it too long you'll waste the powerup and nothing will happen. As for the panels, certain break instantly( mostly the ones in the falling ceiling) and others take a few seconds to break. Luckily the rocket is programmed to not deactivate partly through the stronger panels.

I think it just depends on what you're trying to smash through. If it's just a regular ceiling, it'll take you a while. If it's on the ceiling that comes down and tries to crush you then you blast through it instantly.

Just completed all 90 of the missions (even the dreaded Planet Wisp doppelganger races. Modern was really tight, but I was surprised how far ahead of the classic doppelganger I ended up being). Now to relax by doing the VS Vector mission. smile.png

Edited by VEDJ-F

Now to relax by doing the VS Vector mission. smile.png

Relax? That mission stressed me the hell out. D8 Though it does seem relaxing at first in concept/presentation.

Relax? That mission stressed me the hell out. D8 Though it does seem relaxing at first in concept/presentation.

I personally don't have any problem with it, just have to keep at a distance where you can both aggresively attack and be able to respond to his offensive, and keep your eye on the ball, so to speak.

Me too. Took me well over 15 tries and a lot of raging. It's like, the most arbitrary mission ever, because the camera isn't that great, there's framerate dips, the homing attack doesn't reach as far as you think, and if you accidentally touch a note when the homing attack fails, you just lose even if it's not yet reached it's destination.

Why do they spend time making this shit when they could make the levels longer GAH!

Just completed all 90 of the missions (even the dreaded Planet Wisp doppelganger races. Modern was really tight, but I was surprised how far ahead of the classic doppelganger I ended up being). Now to relax by doing the VS Vector mission. smile.png

Did you S-rank them as well? I've only got mission left to S-rank, and it's the Modern Planet Wisp doppelganger race. Good god, it's hard. Five minutes!? Five thirty would've been taxing enough.