Awoo.

Sonic Generations Impressions, Help, & Discussion Topic

Agent York

:o :o :o

WHOA.

Just found out that the Chaotix were working for Rouge during the duration of Generations. Plot tweest!

I have no idea what this graphics issue is that some people seem to have. I think it's your TV. Or monitor.

I think what people are saying is the models aren't perfectly rounded / edged, even on PC with AA enabled theres still some jagged edges and unfortunately in the PC version you only get On or Off as an option verses AA x4, x6, x8, x16. I know there are a ton of screenshots from the PC version out there but for the sake of comparison take a look at this screenshot Steam took while I was running the game (standard click to expand, its a 1080 image folks tongue.png):

2011-11-03_00002.jpg

Look carefully and you'll see the jagged edges of the models, that being said its really not that bad and you're only really going to complain if you're a perfectionist.

• Thumbs Up 1

I now have all 49 achievements on the game. :) The "Can't Touch This" achievement was pretty hard to get. I'm not going to try getting S Ranks on the challenges, I could hardly get any as it is, and you don't get anything from doing that anyway.

I enjoyed playing the game, though I played it way too much since Tuesday.. ^^;

guys, is it possible to re-watch the cutscenes where M. and C. Sonic save Tails, Amy, Knux and the others? I can't find them, I would find it absurd if that's not possible

ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png

WHOA.

Just found out that the Chaotix were working for Rouge during the duration of Generations. Plot tweest!

Do one of the characters say that?

(Posted this in the wrong thread before. How noob of me.)

Yes, FINALLY got the Can't Touch This achievement.

You know what? The final boss is pretty fun once you learn how to play it. Here's some tips for people who think it's random and sucks:

1) If you're not aligned with a stream of rings, you can't catch it while boosting. Let go of the button and get in position.

2) Can't see rings while facing the boss in 3D? No problem. Just focus on attacking while in 3D, and ring collecting in 2D, where it's much easier.

3) Can't get closer to the boss no matter how much you boost? That's because you have to aim. Position Sonic so that he's facing the core dead on and you'll get closer to the boss. The whole point of the boss's non-damaging attacks is to push you aside so you can't get in the target spot.

With all the yapping the secondary characters do during the boss fight you'd think they'd tell you those three things that make the boss non-frustrating.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do one of the characters say that?

Vector VERY heavily implies it when you get all 5 red rings in modern Rooftop Run;

"You found the five red star rings? Aw man, Rouge is gonna have my hide for this."

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what? The final boss is pretty fun once you learn how to play it.

No, its not angry.png

I hate when

<p> Im about to hit his core and then suddenly a debris hits me. Like, how Im suposed too see that rock when Time Eater fills my screen.

>Also, not cathing him if youre not boosting just in the exact direction of his core is shit imo

Yeah im angry because of the stupid achievement xd

Edited by Ferr

No, its not angry.png

I hate when

<p> Im about to hit his core and then suddenly a debris hits me. Like, how Im suposed too see that rock when Time Eater fills my screen.<br></p><p>Also, not cathing him if youre not boosting just in the middle of the screen is bullshit imo</p>

Yeah im angry because of the stupid achievement xd

Spoiler killed your formatting. Fortunately, I can help!

There's only a lot of debris in the first phase. Much less in the second, and almost none in the third. So what you want to do is charge up and shoot the other Sonic at the obstacles while moving forward. When you're in kill range of the Time Eater, you can't be hit by obstacles. Tested and true. However, immediatelly after the hit you're likely to get bumped by one, so stop boosting immediatelly.

The second main problem is the laser beam that's almost impossible to avoid. That is, unless you switch to 2D as its charging up. Then it misses completely. In fact, switching dimensions is an effective way to save yourself if you're about to get hit by something.

Edited by Grumpy Old Guy

I have no idea what this graphics issue is that some people seem to have. I think it's your TV. Or monitor.

Not sure what you're trying to convince me here. Framerate and graphical inconsistencies have little to nothing to do with the TV, which is a 32 inch LCD with the PS3 using HDMI ports. If a game such as Uncharted 3 is running flawlessly and beautifully on here, but a significantly less powerful game such as Generations is faltering, it's just plain poor optimization.

Who else loves both Planet Wisp(s) and sees it as the Metropolis of this game: The hard(er)core challenge that skilled players find very rewarding to pwn.

• Thumbs Up 5

Who else loves both Planet Wisp(s) and sees it as the Metropolis of this game: The hard(er)core challenge that skilled players find very rewarding to pwn.

I seriously do not see the problem everyone has with the stage. The only things I see wrong with it are the slowness of the rocket for modern and the lack of 3D for modern also.

Now that you mention it, when I first got hit by the boomerang pickaxe of a miner Egg Pawn I got a flashback to being knocked over by Mantis bot scythes back in Metropolis Zone.

I enjoyed modern Planet Wisp. The reason I hate the classic act is because the spike wisp is a major pain and it takes up a lot of time. Also there's a noticeable lack of greenery in the latter, only bothered me a little though.

Also I got all red rings this morning so all that's left for me to do is complete modern's missions and S-rank them. Do S-ranks count toward 100% completion according to the game's records?

Do I have to S Rank the missions to get the "Big Bang" Trophie? I already got S Rank in every stage/boss but I didnt get it... or do I need to beat the bosses in hard mode too?

Edited by Tmsp

I love Planet Wisp in this game, both acts. The complexity and challenge of it all is rather awesome. Classic reminds me of Scrap Brain more than Metropolis though, the latter being my most detested Sonic level of all time.

Do I have to S Rank the missions to get the "Big Bang" Trophie? I already got S Rank in every stage/boss but I didnt get it... or do I need to be the bosses in hard mode too?

No, just do the stages and you get it thats what happended to me. Missions don't count in you getting the achivement, have any problems just ask again and I will try to give a solution.

Not sure what you're trying to convince me here. Framerate and graphical inconsistencies have little to nothing to do with the TV, which is a 32 inch LCD with the PS3 using HDMI ports. If a game such as Uncharted 3 is running flawlessly and beautifully on here, but a significantly less powerful game such as Generations is faltering, it's just plain poor optimization.

Well, I wouldn't really compare it to Uncharted. After all UC3 was built specifically for the PS3's unique architecture. Generations on the other hand, like Unleashed is a multiplat game. Comparing to the likes of Battlefeild 3 would probably make more sense.

Yeah, Generations isn't that well optimised. The Hedgehog Engine seems virtually unchanged from 3 years ago (making it almost 6 year old technology). The way they compensated was by lowering texture resolutions and polycounts.

Now that you mention it, when I first got hit by the boomerang pickaxe of a miner Egg Pawn I got a flashback to being knocked over by Mantis bot scythes back in Metropolis Zone.

Funny I didn't make that connection sooner. I'm even thinking of changing one of my modern stages since I've gotten fairly good at modern PW. But yeah, it's even more annoying when trying to homing attack the robot, and it locks onto the damn zipline cord thing, pulling me up just to get hit a second time. Also, while rocket kinda messes with the flow of the level, it works pretty well (and it's much less annoying than the spikes, which have to be used all the time, involve moving stupid gears, and drown out whatever music you have on so you can listen to that spikes music over and over and over.)

I like both Planet Wisp levels, but I felt they were weaker than most of the other stages. Classic's would have been a lot better if Spikes handled better (though the overuse of Spikes drowns out the cool music as well, which is a shame as it actually fit the level somehow), and Modern's had too much 2D and arsing around (though the first part in the forest was stunning). I think it's a matter of pacing, as all the other levels to me felt like they had really good pacing.

I think my favourite Classic levels are Speed Highway, City Escape and Rooftop Run, and my favourite Modern levels are Chemical Plant, Speed Highway and Crisis City, though there's a bunch of levels that are just behind them for both Sonics.

Other than the somewhat bad controls with the Spike Wisp, I LOVED the stage.

Simply cause it's the most challenging. Harboring features of Many mechanical Industry base stages like Scrap Brain and Metallic Madness like the Saw Blade arms and Missiles, plus the more agressive Egg Pawns that now throw their ax picks which is a awsome new tactic.

Not to mention that the stage itself greatly reflected the Classic era games, with the whole "Man vs Nature" thing going on.

As alot of you said, I would've liked more 3D segments for Modern.

Well, I'm using a PS3 on a 42 inch LCD with LCD ports and I'm having no issues.

I only have the Time Eater achievement left, I'm getting there but it's a real pain constantly restarting. I try not to rage too much since it's just a video game but it's really irritating when you need to hit him one more time and a piece of Rooftop Run slightly pokes you, which we all know is a serious attack....

I 100%'d the game on Saturday, and I love the game for the most part. The bosses and rivals were cool, but the final boss was kinda lame. I didn't really like most of the missions, though I LOVED the "Rooftop Rail-grind" mission (The one where you go through Modern Rooftop Run with the City Escape Snowboard), it's just awesome.

Edited by Spider-Man Noir