Awoo.

Sonic Advance 3...

Crystal Kingfisher

To me, Sonic Advance 3 is a good game, but it's just too overrated in my opinion. I never really saw why everyone says it's the best Sonic game on a handheld console, IMO the Rush series and the Rivals series are better. I'd personally give SAdv3 a 7 out of 10, I liked it a little bit but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I did with SAdv2. I don't know why though...

What are your thoughts?

I liked the game even though I never got around to finishing the game. It's good but SA2 was better just because you didnt have to rely/use the partners. DAMN SH idea that got drafted to like 3 games.

I didn't like Advance 3 at all. I think it's one of the worst Sonic handheld games. At least from GameBoy Advance and onward.

A lot of the character combinations were incredibly inefficient when it came to getting through the levels and even the best ones had changes that made them awkward to use. Then I found some of the zones to be a real pain to get through. Ocean Base, mainly.

It just.. wasn't fun to me. It was boring and tedious and even though people complain about other Sonic handheld titles being 'Hold right to win' I think they're more interesting than this one.

I actually hear nothing but complaints for 3, and agree with them.

Advance 1 was great in a very retro way, and Advance 2 was good in a sort of thrilling way - we really had never seen a 2D Sonic game that fast before, even if the platforming wasn't as clever as Advance 1.

Advance 3 was sort of weird because it tried to go for a middle-ground and... well, failed. The team actions while useful were totally unnecessary too and didn't make the levels any more fun to explore in a Sonic 3 & Knuckles type way, mainly due to the levels being so huge and generic you can't remember any routes other than what you get thrown around into.

It was an okay game... just kinda bland. F'awesome music though.

Just like every other handheld title before and after Advance 3, the default character(s) is the only efficient combination in the game. All the other playable characters are pretty much useless. Though to be fair, you did have to use other character combos in Advance 3 to reach certain Chao, having the right combo to be able to find some of them is driven by luck anyway if you try to do it on your own.

Advance 1 was great in a very retro way, and Advance 2 was good in a sort of thrilling way - we really had never seen a 2D Sonic game that fast before, even if the platforming wasn't as clever as Advance 1.

Advance 3 was sort of weird because it tried to go for a middle-ground and... well, failed. The team actions while useful were totally unnecessary too and didn't make the levels any more fun to explore in a Sonic 3 & Knuckles type way, mainly due to the levels being so huge and generic you can't remember any routes other than what you get thrown around into.

It was an okay game... just kinda bland. F'awesome music though.

Also, pretty much this.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Is it wrong that I find these games hard to play because of Sonic's running sprite? He looks so dumb to me in the Advance games.

Edited by Badnikz

I thought Sonic Advance 3 was a well done twist on an older concept. To me, it's not quite on par with the original, but it's close.

SA3? I liked that game. Colorful levels, challenging bosses, fun platforming...It was a little tedious at first, but after I'd learned the levels, I was having a blast in time trial. In fact, I think I had more fun with time attack than the rest of the game put together. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, Knuckles can has hammertime?

I loved Sonic Advance 3. Interesting and unique levels, while some level design was a bit cheap they were fun, had unique concepts such as Ocean Base and Chaos Angel, an epic as hell soundtrack, and 20 different combos to try out for replay value. And not to mention level specific gimmicks. I enjoy it almost as much as Rush.

So yeah, underrated imo definitely as everyone just bashes it.

The game's old enough that this is no longer a spoiler, so... Yeah, Eggman is playable in the last fight. I think that's pretty spiffy, even though his moveset is kind of limited.

...I'm still waiting for a code to get Eggman into normal levels.

Atrocious level design. I never cared for any of the handheld titles bar Sonic Rush Adventure, but this game is the worst Dimps has put out yet. Everything is out to kill you, everything makes it a chore to play through any of the levels. Random bottomless pits, stupidly placed enemies, painful level gimmicks, unforgiving obstacles that force you to start over whenever you fail them - the works. The only level I found myself somewhat enjoying to some degree was the ice level whose name escapes me. Sonic Advance 3 is like the definite collection of everything I hate about Dimps and their game design.

Your partner in the game generally has the A.I. of a cotton swab. Has a few interesting level themes though, too bad playing through this game is harder than achieving top speed in Sonic CD.

Sonic Advance 3 is just another in a long line of failures courtesy of Dimps. Only one of theirs that was worthwhile was SRA.

...I'm still waiting for a code to get Eggman into normal levels.

Since no codes have popped up for playable Super Sonic in any of the Advance games (something I'm sure a bunch of Sonic fans would have been all over about), I'm wondering if the Super Sonic/Eggman characters are hard-coded into the levels, preventing them from being playable outside of the final boss.

Edited by Jake

Since no codes have popped up for playable Super Sonic in any of the Advance games (something I'm sure a bunch of Sonic fans would have been all over about), I'm wondering if the Super Sonic/Eggman characters are hard-coded into the levels, preventing them from being playable outside of the final boss.

Sonic Advance 3 is fun, but my biggest gripe with it is really MASSIVE stages. You're never able to remeber the paths and chao searcing is -annoying-. An imrovement over Special Ring hunting in SAdv2, but it still sucks. Plus it's only Sonic game to truly suffer moving-so-fast-you-cant-see-enemies syndrome consistantly, as in it's prequel it happened less often due to an overall lack of obstacles. (but oh my God... Sky Canyon...).

Sonic Advance 3 was okay period. It really just got frustrating because you had to use your partner to get to certain areas, and if you don't have the right partner then you have to start over and choose your characters again. I mean if you use certain characters can't they just change the level design to fit the two you're using? I still haven't solved it though.

I always hear that Sonic Advance was the best out of the entire Advance series, but I can't comment on it since I never played it. I thank my friend for giving me Sonic Advance 2 and 3. Kudos to him. ^_^

Sonic Advance 2 was better though. I just raced through the levels, and now I have to find those Chaos Emeralds. I will say that Knuckles getting caught in that explosion and chasing Sonic was priceless.

Edited by Silvereclipse

What about Eggman?

...Has anyone found one for that? Juuuust wondering...

I'm fairly sure there isn't one, actually. Eggman was a partner and only a partner. Super Sonic on the otherhand was playable and Eggman followed him. The Eggman code for Battle is much more awesome than the one for Super Sonic in Adv3 anyway.

I'm fairly sure there isn't one, actually. Eggman was a partner and only a partner. Super Sonic on the otherhand was playable and Eggman followed him. The Eggman code for Battle is much more awesome than the one for Super Sonic in Adv3 anyway.

Eggman is playable if you have two players though, so there is playable data for him. That's why I was curious.

Eggman is playable if you have two players though, so there is playable data for him. That's why I was curious.

Oh really? Ha, I never even considered that! I'm going to do some scouring and see if anythign turns up. At any rate, no such videos exist on Youtube.

Special stage wasn't amazing, but it wasn't bad. Certainly better than attempts by the other two advance games though. 3D movement worked didn't always want to kill yourself intrying to access them. Rush And Rush Adventure have better special stages, especially the latter.

Sonic Advance 3 is my favorite in the Advance series; Advance 1 was OK in my opinion, Advance 2 is my least favorite Sonic game of all time, but with Advance 3, they really did it right. It's pretty fun to play, the stage themes and music are nice, and the bosses are cool. It also has the most developed story of the Advance series; Advance 1 had no story (I don't count "excuse plots" as true stories), and Advance 2 had a little more something, but Advance 3 is a lot more interesting. It's still not a very fleshed-out plot, but it works.

I haven't really liked the Special Stages in any of the Advance games, to be honest. Floating down a path collecting Rings just isn't that interesting for me. Advance 2 was a little more unique, but I tossed that game aside after beating the "final boss" once, so I've never actually played it. Sonic 3&K's Blue Spheres is still my favorite. Heck, I can probably say that's the only Special Stage I really like, for some reason. :P

I don't think Advance 3 is overrated or underrated. It's just a pretty nice game. Actually, I don't like to call anything over- or underrated. If you like or dislike something, and everyone else seems to think the opposite, that doesn't mean everyone else is somehow wrong...

Apart from the frighteningly huge level layouts I really enjoyed playing SA3. It was fun in its own way even though it was different from SA1 and 2.

I haven't played 3 but I've played the first two. The second one is one of the funnest 2d sonic's I've played. It was exilirating, and had consistent, varied action. The first one was way too damn slow for my tastes. It was okay, but didn't have good replayablility.

3 looks like 2 more or less. So I'd probably enjoy it if I ever do buy it.

It's sort of between 1 and 2 in terms of stage design. It wasn't so much the slowness of 1 that lowered my opinion somewhat, but the overall blandness.

The Special Stage: Awesome
The special stage is as terrible as it was in Sonic Advance 1. It's yet another crappy pseudo-3D perspective that makes depth perception a chore.

The special stage was alright, admittedly it was basically a touched up version of the original game's special stages, but it looked cool and I have to admit I had fun with them. The music was also wonderful.

Edited by Jake