Awoo.

Phoenix Wright: The Movie

Badnik Mechanic

The first footage of the new Phoenix Wright movie has surfaced, looks like the trailer was broadcast on a talk show, hence why the presenters are talking over the top of it (boo!).

But... it looks quite cool! Especially how they're going about putting the game ideas into the live action setting. It looks very much like the plot for the first game, lots of familiar scenes, including the out of body moments.

Theres also Larry Butz, Maya and even Mia appear to be in it, as well as Edgeworth (of course).

I also spotted The Blue Badger.

Edited by Hogfather

Super futuristic technology? Hm?

Color me intrigued. I especially liked how I could tell who everyone was by a single glance.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone fan dubbed it. I could see the Musical Project team doing that even with their hectic work on the musical.

I must say that I really love how this looks. It looks a little bit more gritty yet it still keeps the crazyness. It looks quite faithful. I could recognize all the characters. Even that one women with the pipe like thing(Tranvuesca or something like that). The casting seems like ot was really well done. All the characters look like their characters and seem to be potraying them well. Like how Larry is laughing and Phoenix rummaging through his files and looking up from behind his desk with a worried expression. XD

The haracters look accurate and as such some look a little silly(Lotta and Larry) but I think that isn't a bad thing at all. In fact I think it's really good.

I am really looking foreward to this.

Also, dat afro.

Edited by PeanutButterDimond

It's a shame that it doesn't seem like it's going to cover Case 1-5. That was my favorite case in the entire series.

This trailer looks great, I've been looking forward to this movie immensely. I got some Scott Pilgrim vibes from it, the way they present evidence.

HOLY CRAP VON KARMA LOOKS AWESOME.

Also, considering the games take place in the future (about roughly a decade), so the whole 'futuristic panels' thing is something they certainly can get away with, and it's an interesting idea, certainly.

HOLY CRAP VON KARMA LOOKS AWESOME.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer!

I too thought all the characters seen in the trailer were really well cast, and the mannerisms appear to be well portrayed. I'm usually a bit iffy when things become live action but this is shaping up to be something really good from what I've seen.

For reference, the games are originally set in 2016; they remark on a past case from 2001 as being 15 years ago. Apollo Justice has to be set in either 2025 or 2026 depending on interpretation.

1-5 won't be covered because it's bonus content specifically made for the DS release. The original GS1 ended at 1-4.

Anywho:

Basically then, this is a movie of the first game, which is actually ten years old now (GBA release was 2001! :o ). It's been a while! Apparently the director is very competent and has a cult US following, so the chances of this getting localised on the merits of its director are significantly higher than 0. Don't rule out this film getting localised. :D

Edited by Velotix Lexovetikan

To be honest though, whilst it would be great to have some english dubs, considering how well known the game is, and that those who want it will have most likely played the game or be very familiar with it, Really all whats needed are english subs and you should have an idea as to whats going on.

Apparently the director is very competent and has a cult US following, so the chances of this getting localised on the merits of its director are significantly higher than 0. Don't rule out this film getting localised. :D

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does "cult director working on a movie for a dead cult franchise" = "Profitable" when the games weren't even profitable enough to localize?

Because the profitability of the franchise dwindles purely because the barrier to entry ramps up with each installment and it eventually hit a breaking point. This is a re-do of the original game which sold well enough to create a franchise, so there should be no problem there.

I think the chances of the movie being localised are definitely low, but they're much higher than 0.

You mean Dee Vasquez? I didn't notice she was there at first o,O

So it's safe to say the third case will be adapted as well. Hm.

Here's hoping that the actors can actually act the parts and not just look the parts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the film's murder scenes display strokes of Miike's usual style, and I might even be slightly disappointed if that weren't the case.

And the only scenario in which I can see this being localized is basically that some anime company licenses the film and quietly (or at least makes minimal racket) releases it on DVD.

Niche movies like these usually manage to slip by borders and end up being sold in certain outlets if they only have English text in it. I don't think it'd be that hard to do a limited release, especially since the director seems to be somewhat of a cult favorite.

Oh man do I look forward to Wright pulling out that metal detector.

• 2 months later...

The only thing that has disappointed me with this so far is the fact that von Karma isn't played by a German.

Other than that this looks delicious.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only thing that has disappointed me with this so far is the fact that von Karma isn't played by a German.

von Karma is American in the original Japanese version, as is Franziska and the Gavin brothers.

So whilst that answers one question, it raises another.

• Thumbs Up 1