Awoo.

Will we ever see Marine the Raccoon again?

Blazey Firekitty

Sonic Team and/or Dimps seemed to be setting up a plot thread with her "special powers" at the end of Rush Adventure, yet years later, that game has still been her one and only appearance. Given that, it doesn't seem likely she'll be important again anytime soon.

Then again, she hasn't been completely forgotten, as Blaze mentioned her in passing in Colours DS. Perhaps even if the character does not take part in a major plot again, she might still appear in spin-offs where there would be no need to explain her presence, or what she has been up to since SRA? Maybe a Storybook game, or a party game?

I'm still hoping for a real Rush 3 with Blaze and Marine returning. I really like her as a character.

I'd like to see her powers being brought up again.

• Thumbs Up 6

I think being an NPC in main games and possibly playable in spin-offs is best for Marine. I can't really see much value in making her into a playable character unless they really start fleshing her out.

Buuuuut that's just my take on the character. I think it's cool to have more NPC's in the series, as I find that it adds some more life to the claustrophobic amount of anthropomorphic animals. (in relation to humans, anyway)

Edited by Indigo Generations

Interesting that other people like her, because I couldn't stand her.

She looked nothing like a raccoon, and was basically in the game just because.

Edited by A Match in Oil Ocean Zone

I kind of see her as a slightly off-colored red panda, actually.

about-red-panda.jpgMarine_the_Raccoon.png

...kinda...

Red pandas are freaking adorable.

EDIT: Oh sweet son of a...

LOOK_AT_OUR_BABY_by_Huski_the_Fox.png

I can't search for ANY Sonic character without stuff like this showing up, I mean what the crap.

Edited by Indigo Generations
  • Thumbs Up 3

Probably not, which is a shame. I liked Marine. She's spunky.

She looked nothing like a raccoon,
She looks more like a raccoon than Sonic looks like a hedgehog. She's got the tail and everything.

If she does come back, I hope they tweak her dialogue a bit. Not only was it a total stereotype of Aussie lingo, it was a piss poor one at that. She was also more annoying than Charmy; her 'bubbly and enthusiastic' personality just grated on me, personally. That said, I do appreciate having another 'animal' cast member. Kind of nice to have one who is a NPC, perhaps only playable in party/multiplayer mode a la Tikal. I dunno. There's yet to be a female character in the games that I've liked, but I'd give Marine a chance if her annoyance-factor was scaled back a little and she had some proper development.

• Thumbs Up 1

Realistically, I don't think she's all that likely to turn up again. I wouldn't mind though, I did actually kind of like her.

Still, I remain adamant that the most amusing way to bring her back would be after some sort of a timeskip where she's done a 180 and become a total militant badass, if only for the hilarity of how unfitting it would be. I should totally draw that. :lol:

I definitely do think that SRA spent too much time treating her as a joke character and a stereotype...it created a kind of mood whiplash when she was suddenly treated as an actual person with feelings towards the end.

I generally see Marine as someone who wants a be a superhero like the majority of Sonic's friends are, but who barely has a clue what she's doing. As soon as she can prove that she can go into combat situations without immediately dying, she should have a lot to offer...determination, engineering skills, and maybe even a little magic.

Responding to Indigo's second spoiler tag...

...I didn't see Eggrine coming, but maybe I should have. XD

And yes, Red Pandas are adorable. <3

Edited by Blazey Psychounicorn

Probably only if SEGA has DIMPS make another game in the Rush line, and not just another secondary version of a new game that plays like a watered down Rush, which sadly looks unlikely at this point.

Yeah, I'm hoping that SEGA's need to make alternate handheld versions of main series console titles will go by the wayside eventually. Maybe the release of the HD Wii U will help, as I would assume SEGA would have the same kind of multi platform capabilities again that they had back in the PS2/original Xbox/Gamecube days.

I think she'd probably have a lot more appeal if they removed or least toned down the "This character talks funny" aspect of Marine. It's not as if real Australians go around talking like that, any way, and from what I read she had a Kansai accent in the Japanese version, which, apparently, was meant just as a generic "country girl" mode of speech, kinda like Osaka from Azumanga Daioh.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey! Red pandas are awesome.

Case in point?

master-shifu-5.jpg

As for Marine the Raccoon I sorta doubt she will return, unfortunately. Aside from water powers, what could she add that the entire arsenal of other Sonic characters can't?

Holy crap, that reminds me!

Overnight silliness between Aptiva and I! MARINE FAN ART!

ScreenShot2011-10-24at23608AM.png?t=1320071676

I found Marine intriguing in the end of SRA though... she's got some sort of ability, that's for sure.

Marine was conceived about 15 years too late for her "walking stereotype" personality to be anything but grating. Even Tails couldn't put up with her bullshit. Good riddance if she never comes back, and I pray for our lives if she does.

Marine was cute, I liked her. She also said bugger in a Sonic game which was somehow ten times cooler than all the truckloads of damns and hells Shadow spews out.

Looking back, part of the problem may have been that the core gameplay of Rush Adventure was basically a copy and paste of Sonic and Blaze's gameplay from the first game with some tweaks to it. There just didn't see to be any room for extra characters to be important, which could have been the reason for the "Marine's not ready to go on adventures" plot point that stretched through most of the game. If Rush 3 could make not only Sonic and Blaze playable, but Tails and Marine as well, that would really great.

Sorry guys, I thought Marine was annoying and completely useless. She didn't do anything but annoy all the other characters, and served no other purpose whatsoever. And before someone brings up how she got the scepter back after it got stolen again, the writers could have just...not had the scepter get stolen again. It was like they reached the end of the game and realized Marine didn't do anything, so they quickly invented a scenario so she could so something useful.

So yeah, I'd prefer it if she didn't come back.

And before someone brings up how she got the scepter back after it got stolen again, the writers could have just...not had the scepter get stolen again.
And they could just not have Eggman be a bad guy, and Sonic would never do anything.

It was like they reached the end of the game and realized Marine didn't do anything, so they quickly invented a scenario so she could so something useful.
It's more like character growth; she starts off as dead weight, more trouble than she's worth, but she proves herself by the end.
  • Thumbs Up 2

And they could just not have Eggman be a bad guy, and Sonic would never do anything.

Huh? What do the personalities of Sonic and Eggman have anything to do with having a character that's completely irrelevant to the plot? No seriously, I'm not trying to be coy, I really have no idea what you're trying to say here.

It's more like character growth; she starts off as dead weight, more trouble than she's worth, but she proves herself by the end.

True, but my problem isn't really with her character. (I mean, I found her annoying and all, but that's beside the point) My problem is that the game and its story would have been exactly the same without her inclusion. She only existed for the cutscenes, and even then only had one scene where she was at all relevant to the plot. And as I said, that one scene only seems to exist for that reason.

Like you said, she's dead weight. And while she got her one moment to shine, what was the point of putting her in the game to begin with since,(Sorry, I know I'm sounding like a broken record), that one moment to shine could have been completely left out and nothing would have changed? If they were setting her up for a future game, then I could understand that. (But since she did practically nothing in SR:A , why not just wait and introduce her when she would have been useful?) But as the OP pointed out, that doesn't really seem to be the case, since it's been four years and she's only received a brief mention.

• Thumbs Up 1

Marine is an annoying little chatterbox, but that's the thing I like about her.

If their ever is a 3rd Rush game, I'd love to see her as Blaze's Sidekick, mush to how Tails always tags along with Sonic.

I really hope so. Marine's one of the few hyperactive girl characters in ever alongside Pinkie Pie that I actually like, and it pleases me plenty to see more fans of her than I thought existed.

The austrailian banter doesn't bother me that much. If they just gave her an austrailian accent with one or two bonzas here or there, I think she'd be tolerated a lot more. Probably.

And as I've said before, I prefer Blaze hanging out with Marine and a bunch of austrailian koalas than I do with Silver.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

"Last time, though, I made a few blues, and things went a bit crook, you know? Yeah, but she'll be right, then, won't she, mate?

No worries, mates! Really! I've got everything under control 'ere! Holy dooley! ...... Sonic! Tails! Enough with the bludgering! Come 'ere and help me! --- Wait, me? Show weakness? No drama! Lemme just hit the brake 'ere and..."

WE GET IT, YOU'RE FROM SPACE AUSTRALIA!

This aside, Flyboy Fox and Blazey Psychounicorn pretty much nailed what I was going to say... tongue.png

I found her dialogue incredibly annoying. If she made a cameo in a future Sonic game however, I wouldn't mind seeing her face again.

If Sega was to give us say, a Sonic Rush 3 and Marine were to return as a semi-main character, I wouldn't mind giving her another chance though. It might turn out similar to how I absolutely detested Tails in Satam, and then he ended up growing on me halfway through the show.