Awoo.

Blaze and Iblis

Blazey Firekitty

What exactly was so special about Blaze in Sonic 06 that she could seal Iblis inside her when Silver couldn't?

The logic goes like this:

- Iblis is always on fire

-Blaze's soul is always on fire

- Fiery thing is compatible with other fiery thing.

Okay, that makes a certain kind of sense...except Iblis was originally sealed in Elise, who didn't have fire powers, so...huh?

Why do I get the feeling that not all the bugs were ironed out of the script when it made it to the final draft?

It is Sonic '06. The game is so filled with plot holes that if they were bottomless pits instead, the entire game would take place over a massive chasm, hub worlds and all.

To actually answer your question, perhaps that the game was released so early, not even the writers could finish their product with pride before the release. Maybe they only had several pages of bullet notes, listing the characters appearing, new characters, enemies, areas featured, a few plot points (like "Iblis must be held inside host, host must not cry", and "Sonic dies somehow, revived with a kiss", but they weren't too specific), and things like that. The directors probably took it off their hands before the writers could begin connecting the dots in a good way and then connected the dots in one of the most stupid ways physically possible because they were so reluctant to release it so early and unfinished.

Edited by Mr.Awesomest
  • Thumbs Up 3

Why do I get the feeling that not all the bugs were ironed out of the script when it made it to the final draft?
Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 2

It still baffles me that Sonic Team went to all the trouble of completely rewriting Blaze's backstory so she could be in Sonic '06, but somehow it never occurred to anyone to actually connect her pyrokinesis with the game's fire monster villain. The sealing thing indicates that it at least occurred to them to put the two together, but they just didn't follow through far enough... I guess they thought that fans would be offended if Blaze got her power from a fire demon, or they were worried that if they paid to much attention to her she'd out-cool Silver? Certainly it would've made her more plot-relevant than him, and I guess that would've messed up the three-hedgehog symmetry they had going on.

How about we just ignore Blaze's role in Sonic 2006.

It's clear that Sega considers her Sonic Rush origin to be canon.

I think that we are better off ignoring everything in Sonic 2006 altogether. The game has tons of plotholes like Elise having the blue Chaos Emerald since she was a child, which means that Sonic could never have gone super in "Sonic 2, Sonic 3&Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Sonic Heroes, and the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush" games.

And I still don't understand why Mephiles didn't just fuse with the Iblis in Silver's timeline?

• Thumbs Up 3

It still baffles me that Sonic Team went to all the trouble of completely rewriting Blaze's backstory so she could be in Sonic '06, but somehow it never occurred to anyone to actually connect her pyrokinesis with the game's fire monster villain. The sealing thing indicates that it at least occurred to them to put the two together, but they just didn't follow through far enough... I guess they thought that fans would be offended if Blaze got her power from a fire demon, or they were worried that if they paid to much attention to her she'd out-cool Silver? Certainly it would've made her more plot-relevant than him, and I guess that would've messed up the three-hedgehog symmetry they had going on.

Blaze could use her pyrokinesis in '06's levels, though, so clearly she had that power before the Iblis thing happened.

...and just a personal thing here, but I've never liked the "'06 Blaze traveled back in time and to another dimension and somehow became a princess" theory. I'm normally all for trying to make sense of the series' weirder plot elements with zany theories, but I feel like the Blaze issue (and indeed most of '06) is such a mess that it's best to just try not to think about it. Like, there was a thing that happened after Black Doom and before Dark Gaia where Sonic met a princess and a dude from the future, but the specific details are ~murky~. The game dealt us such a bad hand that any theory based on it is pretty much doomed from the start.

• Thumbs Up 1

The best suited match on such short notice? You just got back from screwing around in the past and back into your own timeline (which didn't benefit from a fixing of the past), weaken said creature, and your friend's Plan B of sealing said monstrosity inside themselves is about to fail when you have a similar spiritual/cosmetic affinity to said monstrosity. What would YOU do?

Become one with said monstrosity and quickly warp out of current timeline to ensure a brighter future. (and potentially damage another separate timeline).

If you have to make sense of this loophole in Sonic '06, I would go with that. While I liked certain parts of the story for this game, there are one too many things about it that I wish were ironed out, like the flawed logic in Mephiles' magnificent bastard plan to how Elise can apparently hold onto a friggin' Chaos Emerald for approx. 8-10 years in this timeline.

Blaze and Elise are both princesses.

This. It was said that the only stipulations were that the vessel had to be a princess, and she couldn't cry (she may have known she couldn't cry even after the events were retconned, and took precautions, as seen in Sonic Rush where she has no friends.) Also, I agree with the theory that Blaze was originally from the future as shown in 06, went to the past, sealed herself with Iblis in another dimension, and then the events of the game were erased, leaving Blaze in another dimension with no memory or meeting Silver or Sonic, and them no memory of meeting her or each other. Thus, while he met Blaze in Sonic Rush first, she didn't get sent to that dimension until after 06 took place and was erased. In other words, with time travel, you can sometime see the effect of something before the cause happens.

I'm leaning towards "they're both princesses" since my theory is that she is a princess from a different dimension, but in the Crisis City timeline, something happens to her that results in ending up 200 years in the future (regardless of whether she's self aware of this or not). Sonic and Elise's intervention prevents the Iblis event from happening, thus Blaze remains in her current state.

How about we just ignore Blaze's role in Sonic 2006.

It's clear that Sega considers her Sonic Rush origin to be canon.

I think that we are better off ignoring everything in Sonic 2006 altogether. The game has tons of plotholes like Elise having the blue Chaos Emerald since she was a child, which means that Sonic could never have gone super in "Sonic 2, Sonic 3&Knuckles, Sonic Adventure 1&2, Sonic Heroes, and the Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush" games.

And I still don't understand why Mephiles didn't just fuse with the Iblis in Silver's timeline?

'06 Blaze is Rush Blaze according to Generations. But Blaze didn't remember Sonic in Rush and has always lived in her dimension.

Which leads me to think she got sealed in another dimension, where she was reborn but still having her previous life's memories. Most of it has been forgotten after 14 years likely, but she still remembers Crisis City because that's where she's been born and raised originally, and she may remember Silver too (but Rivals Silver is definitely not '06 Silver).

'06 Blaze is Rush Blaze according to Generations. But Blaze didn't remember Sonic in Rush and has always lived in her dimension.

Which leads me to think she got sealed in another dimension, where she was reborn but still having her previous life's memories. Most of it has been forgotten after 14 years likely, but she still remembers Crisis City because that's where she's been born and raised originally, and she may remember Silver too (but Rivals Silver is definitely not '06 Silver).

Well.... somehow Generations spoiler:

Silver is dfinetly not 06 Silver. I think we could solve this issue like that: Silver's future never got destroyed by Iblis. But it was destroyed by Ifrit and then it was defeated in Rivals 2. So Blaze could visit Chaotic Inferno and name it Crisis City. Thats all I can think of trying to solve this

Blaze misnaming a location would be even more confusing, and nothing proves she knows about Chaotic Inferno or the Ifrit.

Blaze misnaming a location would be even more confusing, and nothing proves she knows about Chaotic Inferno or the Ifrit.

Never said its good theory :P

Edited by HUNTER297

It seems possible the being a princess is something inherently magical in the Sonic mythology, in a fairy tale sort of way, though admittedly, as others have pointed out, Blaze didn't seem to have quite the right magic, for whatever reason, to contain Iblis the way Elise did, and as such made a desperate last ditch effort.

In light of this, and Generations...

Maybe Blaze being a princess has something to do with her being able to remember Crisis City? Elise seemed to at least getting a small remembrance of Sonic at the end of 06, and Blaze seemed be getting a little deja vu around Silver in Colours DS. Maybe being physically in Crisis City was enough to make Blaze remember the entire adventure, even if Silver probably doesn't remember given that he isn't royalty, and has a different future now.

I assumed it was because Silver simply couldn't take the heat.

Pansy.

It's Sonic 2006.

There's no "feeling" about it.

She’s a cat! There’s probably nine versions of her running around.

...and one of them manages a coffee shop on City Escape.

Edited by Vantoggle
  • Thumbs Up 3

She’s a cat! There’s probably nine versions of her running around.

...and one of them manages a coffee shop on City Escape.

And one became famous in Night Carnival prior to Sonic Rush (Night Carnival is Blazes first level in that game, and there was already bilboards and sings of her)

• 1 year later...

I know this is a dead thread, but I think I know the connection- as mundane as it is.

There is another thing Elise and Blaze had in common. They are women.

Iblis can only be sealed in a female host- hence why Silver, being a guy, could not seal Iblis inside himself.

Can we not chalk it up to "because '06's horribly structured and self-contradictory plot demanded it" and leave it at that?

Can we not chalk it up to "because '06's horribly structured and self-contradictory plot demanded it" and leave it at that?

We could. But I just wondered why nobody ever brought up the idea that it was a gender-specific thing.