Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

So Activision are dicks as per usual, Superbot is terrible at marketing as usual, and the lack of a classic Dante skin ensures that no intelligent DMC fan worth their salt will touch Donte with a ten-foot-pole, except to use him as a punching bag, because that Kratos-wannabe deserves it so damn hard (seriously, he's not cool or badass, he's just a dick who's trying too hard and failing miserably). And I keep seeing mixed opinions.

Sheesh, not exactly that much good news. I don't exactly want this game to fail, nobody wants a bad or mediocre game, but I keep seeing a massive amount of missed potential.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Sony Computer Entertainment - Toro

PlayStation - Crash Bandicoot (former), Spyro the Dragon (former), and Polygon Man (current)

PlayStation 2 - Ratchet & Clank, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper

PlayStation 3 - Sackboy, Nathan Drake, and Kratos

I just took this from a Wikipedia page on the mascots for just about everything, I know Wikipedia is not very credible but it's a good general understanding no?

Polygon Man is not the current mascot for the PlayStation. Polygon Man was part of a really early ad campaign that fell flat. Crash Bandicoot is easily the most recognizable and popular character from the original PlayStation days. Spyro the Dragon would be second.

Ratchet, Jak, and Sly Cooper were all very prominent on the PlayStation 2 but I'd still give it to Ratchet on the grounds that he had more than just three games on the PlayStation 2 during its peak and the simple fact that he's the only one of those three that has stayed consistently relevant.

Ratchet is still a very prominent and defining character for the PlayStation brand even now. More so than Nathan Drake. Sure Drake's popular, but mascots tend to naturally have more interesting designs and a more kid friendly than someone like Kratos or Nathan Drake. If anyone the PS3's mascot right now, it's either Ratchet or Sackboy. I'd say Sackboy given his tendency to appear in games not related at all to him.

Granted, Toro has been the mascot for Sony Computer Entertainment in Japan for a long time now. He's made cameos in countless games over the PlayStation's lifespan and is becomes even more prominent outside of Japan lately with his appearances in Street Fighter X Tekken and PlayStation All-Stars.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 2

Honestly, I think the reason why is because Activision is probably charging SuperBot twice as much for the use of Crash Bandicoot, when compared to other third party characters like Big Daddy or Donte.

Most likely because Crash Bandicoot is the only character that they are actually asking to use.

Edited by Crash Freddicoot

They had to properly ask to use just about any of the 20 characters they currently have, so I don't really know what you're getting at.

Only a complete fucking fool would think people didn't want Crash Bandicoot in a game like this. It's obvious that SuperBot tried to get a lot of characters, but didn't get all of them. We may get them later. I don't know why everyone has to make like everything is SuperBot's fault.

Edited by Chooch

They had to properly ask to use just about any of the 20 characters they currently have, so I don't really know what you're getting at.

I'm pretty sure Superbot didn't ask, I mean, they still have to pay and all that, but I'm sure the third-party companies asked Superbot to use them, I really can't see Superbot asking to use Big Daddy or Raiden. Heihachi makes sense, because Tekken was a Playstation exclusive at one-point, and Dante makes a little bit of sense, but they didn't even use his original design. I'm saying they most likely didn't ask for any of those characters, because none of them really make much sense. I mean think about this, Nintendo goes over to Capcom and asks to use Chris Redfield in the next Smash Brothers. That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my book. I might be wrong, they might have went over and asked to use every single one of those characters, but I highly doubt that.

They didn't use Dante's original design because Capcom wanted them to use the newer design. Cole from inFAMOUS is split into two characters because Sucker Punch wanted him to be split. This was said in interviews.

SuperBot does not have full jurisdiction over the characters once their use is allowed. And yes, things cost money. It's not like companies don't have budgets for games. Steve Lycett never fails to mention it when talking about All-Stars Racing Transformed.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finally got around to downloading the BETA, and I must say, I'm really liking the game so far. I wasn't sure about the super to kill mechanic at first, but its implemented really well and works. I'm having tons of fun online, which I usually stray away from, so it'll be even better to play with some friends. My only gripe isn't even with the game itself and more with the people I'm playing. Every single time I've had a battle where someone was the Killzone guy (whose name escapes me) all they do is sit in a corner and spam projectiles. Besides that, I'll definitely be picking this up in he future.

And my cousin got this poster for free and decided to give it to me.

Ux4FK.jpg?4074

^Huh, didn't know about the air techs, I thought it was just the hit stun timer.

God all 4 players Parappa and we managed to get into 2x Overtime then a 3x Overtime. So many flying kicks and skateboards; was really fun.

Edited by Zone Seeker

God, this game is shit.

I played the beta with my brother. The mechanics just don't work all that well. You're just smacking eachother around with random attacks without any depth or purpose until someone gets the giant fuck you laser and kills everyone. The only think that really even matters in terms of balance is the super moves, and most of them have the same effect anyway.

If they expected this of all things to compete with Smash Bros, they couldn't be more wrong.

I've played the game for the first time for like, 1 hour and half and... I LOVE IT! It's fast, has fun attacks, great music and great level's gimmicks. Really fun game, really fun indeed, it feels more like Digimon Rumble Arena 2 rather than Smash Bros. I think I'm gonna pick this up, even if they don't put Crash. All my bashing was useless, now that I've played the game, I saw how good it is hehe

SuperBot is still pushing for Crash, and if they did it, I'd buy even two copies :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The main menu music for this game is epic. Full of epic win. Downloaded it to my iTunes. <3

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally the cringeworthy vocal drop ruins it for me. It'd have been so much better if they got rid of it.

Speaking of voices, I wish the announcer was more enthusiastic.

Here is the final character select screen:

TNLFT.png

Looks cool, you can also customize the menu screens with the characters and maybe other stuff. In this pic, the menus are customized with the Jak and Daxter skin, you can see him in the main menu and the backgrounds are orange with some spaceships flying by.

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 1

The main menu music for this game is epic. Full of epic win. Downloaded it to my iTunes. <3

Wow....that sounds like shit. Horribly bland and slow paced techno. Definitely "full of win" [/sarcasm]

To be honest, everything about the aesthetics and sound direction of this game is kinda rubbish. Menus and interface are boring, fonts are about as generic as you can get, the music is that isn't ripped/remixed is lifeless, the characters don't keep to a consistent visual style. Whoever was in charge of the art and sound directions did a really bad job to be quite frank.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow....that sounds like shit. Horribly bland and slow paced techno. Definitely "full of win" [/sarcasm]

To be honest, everything about the aesthetics and sound direction of this game is kinda rubbish. Menus and interface are boring, fonts are about as generic as you can get, the music is that isn't ripped/remixed is lifeless, the characters don't keep to a consistent visual style. Whoever was in charge of the art and sound directions did a really bad job to be quite frank.

Well, I prefer it to the SSBB opera style or whatever it is music.

I can't really talk about music that isn't remixed because the only one I heard by now is the menu theme, other than that most of the stages have cool remixes, my favorites are:

-

-

-

-

Keep in mind that those where riped from the beta and may not be in order most of the times.

Edited by Tmsp

I played the beta with my brother. The mechanics just don't work all that well. You're just smacking eachother around with random attacks without any depth or purpose until someone gets the giant fuck you laser and kills everyone.

If they expected this of all things to compete with Smash Bros, they couldn't be more wrong.

Thats funny... thats exactly my experience of playing Smash Bros...

No really it is. I don't honestly get why people keep saying "Whoa not as good as smash bros, you're just hitting each other with random attacks mindlessly" when thats exactly what you do in smash bros.

Smash bros defender: Ah well actually I think you'll find.

Oh cut the crap. In smash bros all you do is mindless jump around hitting each other regardless as to what the people who organise tournaments want you to think. Back when brawl came out, I picked up that game expecting it to be this incredible god like experience considering how much praise people here were giving it, only for then to find out the only reason they were was more or less for nostalgia since the game is pretty much just randomly jumping around hitting people and hoping said special moves land.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone who doesn't put the Smash Bros franchise on some god like pedestal I can safely say my experience with the games was absolutely nothing like you described.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also have to question what the hell kind of Smash Bros. game has Hoggy been playing, because that doesn't remotely describe the gameplay experience in ANY of the three games.

In SSB you raise your opponent's damage % and then kick him out of the stage via regular moves or with a Super or Smash or whatever you call the moves used after breaking the Smash Ball. You can also make the opponents fall over in stages like Final Destination.

I don't see how this "requires more skill" than timing your supers to kill an enemy or working up for a level 3 and being recompensed with easier kills that can be avoided most of the times if you know how to play unlike most people like to make it sound, hell the only 3 characters that have auto-kill level 3 supers are PaRappa, Spike and Heihachi and people usually avoid those in favor to level 2 supers that require more skill, but can achieve more kills.

You basically do the same thing in both games, raise "a meter" and then kill the adversary when it is filled.

• Thumbs Up 4

Thats funny... thats exactly my experience of playing Smash Bros...

No really it is. I don't honestly get why people keep saying "Whoa not as good as smash bros, you're just hitting each other with random attacks mindlessly" when thats exactly what you do in smash bros.

Smash bros defender: Ah well actually I think you'll find.

Oh cut the crap. In smash bros all you do is mindless jump around hitting each other regardless as to what the people who organise tournaments want you to think. Back when brawl came out, I picked up that game expecting it to be this incredible god like experience considering how much praise people here were giving it, only for then to find out the only reason they were was more or less for nostalgia since the game is pretty much just randomly jumping around hitting people and hoping said special moves land.

....You need to play Smash Bros again.

Seriously. You could not be more wrong.

Well, you need to play PS All-Stars again, because I could say the same thing to you.

There's a strategy involved in both games. Although they play similarly, these strategies are different.

Well, you need to play PS All-Stars again, because I could say the same thing to you.

There's a strategy involved in both games. Although they play similarly, these strategies are different.

Y'know, if I was having fun the instant I picked up Battle Royal, I'd agree with you, but to me, battle royal felt like smash with pretty much all the depth sucked out of it.

No I don't. I really don't.

The only reason I got that game was because everybody on here kept praising it like it was the second comming or something. Picked it up, brought it home and put it on played for about a day or so and kept waiting for this godly experience people kept describing.

All what you do is randomly attack for random reasons getting the percentage thing up. Then hope you randomly kill them. And I say random because boy is it random. In fact the only reason I think that game gets about three quarters of the praise it does is because most people go all gooey eyed at how it's got X character in it.

And it's the same with this game, some people I've actually seen say they won't get the game because crash isn't in it, others have said it's not good because the roster doesn't have X Y or Z character in it, and this is a complaint before any of the public betas, be they the PS+ ones or the application ones that went live.

If it was purely for the fact it's an amazing fighting game, one wonders why everytime you see people organising tournies for it, so many characters are either excluded or various stages are banned from it.

• Thumbs Up 4

The problem with Battle Royale's mechanics is that it's too obtuse to penetrate and it leaves so many characters susceptible to bullshit practices. Sweet Tooth, my favorite character in the game so far, has an absolutely fucking ridiculous Level 3. I managed to easily build meter just by shotgunning and doing spread attacks and the rest of the battle just involved me scoring 14 kills. Landing hits in any other fighting game feels rewarding because you're building yourself that much closer to a goal, where-as in PSABR you're only building it up to a "second phase" of the game where you can easily fuck up, or you just slaughter everything in the vicinity.

This feels tacked on and lacks any sort of universal cohesiveness to it. There's nothing wrong with having supers like these in a game but if they're the means to go by killing your foes, you've turned a mechanic into a gimmick, and one that you're going to have a hard time expanding with and reaching a bigger audience.

There is just one way to go on about actually beating your foes and it's a means-to-an-end merely thanks to that the only reliable way to build meter is by combo-ing which is straight up impossible in a four battle free-for-all. I personally love these types of brawlers but this is probably the first time a game's frustrated me with how it's actively supporting one type of game mode in it's mechanic, as having too many chefs in the kitchen means you're going to have people all over your ass just trying to land powerful hits.

All what you do is randomly attack for random reasons getting the percentage thing up. Then hope you randomly kill them. And I say random because boy is it random.

Lol.

• Thumbs Up 9