Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

Oh I know! Tekken and Soul Calibur characters!! they started off as PS1/2 titles right? Hoping Gex gets a cut in this too.

Well look at the end of the day, its Smash Bros for SONY. even though its a blatant case of "Nintendo did it first so lets ride that train" you guys have your own brawl, so now you can stop haxing your sony characters into brawl now. :)

And you got something that one-ups the smash bros series for the moment (The Wii-U is coming after all), the option to DLC maps and characters! Something we wish we Brawl people had.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't really see most Megaman characters in this game, I think it's most likely that if we get a Megaman character here, it would be from the Legends series.

Even though I have no PS3 thus likely won't get to check this out, I am curious to see if Sony can beat Nintendo at their own game (quite literally). I found Brawl to be underwhelming, though its mainly due to Samus being inferior to her Melee version and Sonic feeling shoehorned into the Subspace Emissary.

The more people keep adding to this, more I'm realizing I kinda under estimated the amount of characters Sony could have in such a game. And we're just talking so many characters from different games, can you imagine if there's like 2-3 characters from each?

For some reason, butt loads of 3rd party for Sony doesn't seem like it's weakening the "Sony experience." It seems like Sony kinda always paraded it's awesome 3rd party games, so seeing a bunch would almost seem more natural than just a few.

Oh I know! Tekken and Soul Calibur characters!! they started off as PS1/2 titles right? Hoping Gex gets a cut in this too.

Well look at the end of the day, its Smash Bros for SONY. even though its a blatant case of "Nintendo did it first so lets ride that train" you guys have your own brawl, so now you can stop haxing your sony characters into brawl now. smile.png

This so freaking much.

Topic wise, I'm not impressed at all. Yeah it's a carbon copy.....exact same concept as SSB. Not even the visuals amuse me. I'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. It will be amazing to see how the game site compare this to SSB, SSBM, & SSBB.

I really hope this game is an opportunity for Sony to give us the Smash Bros. people have been wanting, like just take everything people liked from the series (particularly Melee) and make it more awesome. Especially since Sakurai has indicated several times that he thinks that what the fans want doesn't matter.

It looks like a carbon copy of Brawl, so that's doubtful. But hey, I'm one of those heathens that actually liked Brawl.

Edited by Crow T. Robot

Another thought that I was curious about everyone else's opinion: what do you think of Sly not having a shield to block? That's what they said right so I'm not mistaken? He turns invisible and can warp slightly it seems, but I'm not sure how effective that'll actually be. Come to think of it, I tend to just dodge way more than I actually shield something in Smash Bros., so I'm actually not sure myself. Why I wonder so much is that so far he's the character I want to play as the most XD.

What I'm wondering is does Sly have the same codec like cutscenes Snake does in brawl? because it looked like it in one scene in the interview.

• Thumbs Up 1

playstationallstars.jpg

No idea if thats genuine or just a mock up, but it matches the style used for a few other recent Sony games.

And a few more screens.

psallstars001.jpg

psallstars002.jpg

psallstars003.jpg

psallstars004.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Another thought that I was curious about everyone else's opinion: what do you think of Sly not having a shield to block? That's what they said right so I'm not mistaken? He turns invisible and can warp slightly it seems, but I'm not sure how effective that'll actually be. Come to think of it, I tend to just dodge way more than I actually shield something in Smash Bros., so I'm actually not sure myself. Why I wonder so much is that so far he's the character I want to play as the most XD.

My Sonic game in Brawl revolves a lot around my shield: Shieldgrabbing, Spin Dash canceling into Shield, Aerial Spin Charge into Shield, and Dash-canceled Shield. If this game doesn't have shields it's probably going to screw up my game considerably xD

First preview of the game!

Sly does not have the ability ot block, instead he will be about stealth and have the ability to steal AP from other players.

Most stages are mashups of various titles. e.g. LBP & Buzz,

Tons of other sony franchises are going to be present as various powerups are inspired from other franchises, Wipeout is represented with a shield power up for instance.

Third party characters confirmed then? Right, now I'm slightly more interested in this.

It does look stupidly similar to Smash Bros., so my fear of treating this the same way as TMNT Smash Up is very, very high. Provided the online is robust though, I'll definitely look into it. Besides that, Sweet Tooth looks sexier than ever and I can't wait to rip and tear with him.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if Spyro would get a look-in, or whether he'd be excluded given his new-found population with the Skylanders.

Not sure whether I'd pick this up; I found myself getting pretty bored with the Smash bros games. While things would be made a bit better having it online so I can actually play it with people, I know I'll end up against people who practice it religiously, and kill me in mere seconds.

Official announcement trailer.

Destructoid preview is up,they thought it was awesome... and... character impressions are a go.

Parappa the Rapper: Parappa is small and fast; a short-range melee character. His moves come right out of Chop Chop Master Onion's kung-fu dojo, though you'll have to be right up on your opponents to connect with most of them. One of his most useful moves is also pretty funny: he brings out his Boxy Boy boom box (it arrives with the classic "Aw yeah!" hip-hop sample) to the play field, where it spews AP bubbles that can be picked up to charge super meters. Smart players were using the boom box to level up and use Parappa's skateboard super, which dashes through and knocks out anyone in sight. It's a total dick move, but it works, and wins matches.

Radec: Killzone character Radec isn't as cute as our favorite dog rapper, but he makes up for it with badassness. He's quite the opposite of Parappa, working best as a long-distance attacker, with projectiles and lasers that easily land hits on the opposite side of the play field. His level one super gives the player a reticule that can be placed over any character to direct a large-scale fire attack.

Sweet Tooth: Those wanting to play as a strong bully will want to choose Twisted Metal's scary clown hero. He's huge and all about space control, with attacks that can send you flying. Up close he hits really hard, so stay away if you can. I loved using him to shoulder check enemies to send flying across the screen. His level three special is flashy, bringing fire and parts flying out of the sky to his body to turn him into Mechatooth, armed with a machine gun that will easily mow all opponents down.

Fat Princess: No one picked the big girl in the first rounds, but I found that she was one of my favorites after trying her out. I fell in love after seeing her match opening animation, which has her instantly plumping up after downing a piece of cake. Princess has swinging mid-range attacks that are fast and reliable, and they provide good defense, as a lot of jumping and blind swinging can take place. She's surprisingly agile and has lots of power.

Sly Cooper: Sly is unique in that he has no defense at all. Instead, and true to his character, he can turn invisible by hitting the block button. This makes him quite a bit more sneaky, as he can get behind opponents to use his special moves in close range. His normal attacks glide him from platform to platform, and he can fly/attack diagonally, making him great at recovery.

Kratos: Anyone that has enjoyed any of the God of War games will feel right at home with Kratos, as he plays exactly the same in All-Stars. He's the best all-arounder of the initial line-up, with a mix of both ranged and close quarters moves. His spin attacks take up huge space, and his spear-based pokes will push you back. He's a beast.

Where are the message boards for this game, I'd be more than happy to spam if it means Sonic and Crash Bandicoot getting in. (kidding sorta)

psallstars001.jpg

I'm pretty sure this level is from Jak & Daxter, so they're probably in.

Wait a minute. Something's off here. Oh right, this idea is just as dumb now as it is when I first heard about it.

Eh, still not all too interested. It looks very similar to Smash Bros, but with health bars. Haven't watched any videos, but going by the screens it looks kind of... cheap? Maybe it will look better when it's done, though. I don't really care about the characters shown so far, nor do I care about most Sony characters. 3rd partys will have to be really cool to make me interested. Though, I don't actually hate the the characters so far. Fat Princess and Radec look incredibly generic, but Parappa and Sly are cool. I hope Jak and Daxter have their original designs.

Might rent the game to see if it's any good.

psallstars004.jpg

So, Patapons are Assist Trophies, I guess?

Edited by MarcelloF

For some reason reading through this thread really made me want to play SSBB again.

In all seriousness though, there's nothing wrong with taking ideas from someone else, but rather than taking ideas, this game seemed to take the whole game from someone else and just put a new layer of paint on it. This game just reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebqrBYVq_0

Allright, it's not that bad. It has more work put into it and a bigger budget, but still. The game can be still just as fun and functional, but I don't really want to support this kind of action. It might be good for gamers who only have a PS3 but I see no reason to buy this myself. It just feels like Sony is going all "Huh, Nintendo did that and it sells well. Well, we can do that too but we'll make it more HARDCORE!"

Okay, maybe the game has more to it than just that. Maybe it's too early to judge it. I'm just disappointed by how unoriginal it is. Seriously Sony, if you want me to buy your consoles, then at least make something that I don't already have on other consoles.

I think what bothers me more about this than say 99% of Mario Kart clones is that this is Sony doing the blatant copying, not some small name developer desperately milking their franchise. Little Big Planet Kart is a thing too, right? And the Playstation Move is Wiimote clone. I don't care how fantastic the outcomes may be, I just want Sony to make it look like they're trying to be original.

• Thumbs Up 9

Hm. Looks mildly interesting, but much like Brawl I fear the ride towards the game release with character reveals and such will be more fun than the game itself. By the way, they're perfectly aware of the similarities to that franchise and don't give a fuck if Nintendo fanboys get an aneurysm. This is okay in my book.

Dev team having some actual fighting game connoisseurs is great, these people care about their tight controls. Game's 60fps so they got that right. Decent online with low latency rates will also be fundamental.

Really stoked to see Parappa rappin' cool again, at any rate. Can we get an UJL sequel if this does well? If Brawl could favor a sequel to a mediocre NES game (Kid Icarus) then surely the best PS1 rhythm game deserves a successor.

As for 3rd party guests, I'm guessing Snake and Cloud as the most obvious choices. Capcom can contribute too, but modeling a 100KB unlock code will be pretty tough.

The boss character better be a giant disembodied foot.

RmD5R.jpg

I can't believe I had to come and make the reference myself. For shame, SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmmm...

Seems far too much of a rip-off of SSB and the title is a total rip of the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars series. I mean, "All-Stars" isn't a unique name, but it has been established as SEGA's term for their collection of characters. Nintendo claimed "Super Smash Bros.". Why can't Playstation claim something else? Superstar is available again, SEGA stopped using it, I had thought "Heroes" was Playstation's term for their cast? Why not "Playstation Heroes & Villains Battle Royale"?

• Thumbs Up 3

Were those really the best screenshots they could take? Really? Something about them just looks off to me. Maybe it's just the weirdness of so blatant a rip-off actually happening.

I don't know I'm not feeling this call me a hater or whatever but this isn't really appealing to me. I like the playstation brand and all but this just looks like a watered down smash bros. to me. The name is lame and doesn't really sound playstationy to me if that makes any sense. And the gameplay from what I've scene looks dull. Only thing I'm slightly curious about is what 3rd party characters are going to be included in this.