Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

Seems far too much of a rip-off of SSB and the title is a total rip of the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars series. I mean, "All-Stars" isn't a unique name, but it has been established as SEGA's term for their collection of characters.

Has Sega even used the all-stars moniker for more than one game? I thought you'd have to get some consistent usage for it to be established first.

Besides, the NBA has been using the term for ages.

Oh shit.

Charles Barkley confirmed.

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 5

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to get this game. The characters look interesting so far, and when more of the roster is revealed I'll probably show more interest. Still, this seems like a blatant rip-off of Super Smash Bros. Is that a Final Smash for Twisted Metal I see?

I'll wait for the reviews before I make up my mind. :/

Edited by The Kid

Official announcement trailer.

....What do you call Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale in Paris?

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale with cheese....

I'll go away ):

But in all seriousness, this looks okay, not that great, just okay! I've still wanted a smash Bros. esque game created for the longest time but I had always hoped Microsoft would have done it! Shame they didn't.

Instead we've had this catastrophe for quite a while (which I bought on a whim ages ago)

0000000308-L-40842b3.jpg

Edited by Scott
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have some faith in this recently-announced game

From the sound of it, it ain't a knockoff that is lame

And if it's a knockoff, so what? It can still be fun

And it's not like Smash Bros. itself is total perfection

Previews are positive, they are saying it's good stuff

From Gamespot and IGN, big sources for gamer buffs

And what's not to like about Cooper, Sly

Mopping the floor with Kratos? Oh my!

Edited by Kazaam

Looks alright. No game that tends to copy the Smash Brothers approach never seems to get it just right, don't wanna compare but I can't help but do that. I wonder what determines how far you fly when you take damage, seeing how there is no percentage meter or w/e

Edited by LunarEdge

I'd prefer a Power Stone style game, a multi-player fighter on a 2D plane with platforms just seems like too much of a Nintendo thing. Anarchy Reigns (assuming it is still releasing this July) is a MUCH more appealing multi-player brawler to me than this game. Playstation All-Stars looks cheap by comparison.

• Thumbs Up 3

In all seriousness though, there's nothing wrong with taking ideas from someone else, but rather than taking ideas, this game seemed to take the whole game from someone else and just put a new layer of paint on it. This game just reminds me of this:

*Mole Kart Trailer*

If you're going to compare THIS game to Mole Kart, you are literally insane. Have you actually played Mole Kart? Mole Kart basically copied and pasted Mario Kart. The characters in the game are the only things they changed and the physics were wonky and lazy.

Sony are not being lazy with this game, they just saw the success of Super Smash Bros. over the years and they want to share that same success Nintendo has been hugging. If this game turned out to be more of a Street Fighter game, I'll be more disappointed, heck I wouldn't be bothered to get the game at all. There are more arcade fighters like Street Fighter out there.

The only other game that copied Smash Bros. is Cartoon Network Punchtime Explosion XL, which I played and it's the physics on that were wonky. But Cartoon Network tried at least.

Seriously Sony, if you want me to buy your consoles, then at least make something that I don't already have on other consoles.

They already have. LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted to name a few. If you *still* haven't got a PS3 console, then what chances you'll *ever* get a PS3.

Now my view on this game. The name is a bit "meh", but as I said the name doesn't have to be awesome for the game to be awesome. I like Super Smash Bros., so this a perfect game for me. However if you have read some of the previews, the game looks similar to Smash Bros. games, but it feels much different. And the previews also say it's FUN and had a great time playing it, they didn't say it's some boring knock-off from Smash Bros. and expected more.

3rd-party characters will be available in this game, so that makes me even more excited. I definitely point to Sonic and his friends being playable, hope Amy's one of them...and Lightning from FFXIII. Then obviously the game wouldn't be complete without Crash and Spyro, the characters that made PlayStation in the earlier days.

We'll need to see more of the game, but I'm sure as the days go on and especially in the E3, this will become a day 1 buy for me. I'm pretty sure thousands of Sony players already want this game day 1.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

Looks alright. No game that tends to copy the Smash Brothers approach never seems to get it just right, don't wanna compare but I can't help but do that. I wonder what determines how far you fly when you take damage, seeing how there is no percentage meter or w/e

• Thumbs Up 1

Watching the announcement trailer and listening to that dev talking...

"Fat Princess ... we've made sure we capture the essence of her love of cake."

laugh.png What?

It'd appear the objective isn't throwing each other offstage until you run out of lives, but rather getting the most amount of KOs. The game's similar to Smash in the way it's a 4 player 2.5D mascot fighting game, and that's pretty much it.

If anything this borrows more elements from pre-existing fighting games (especially Capcom's) like unique moves/playstyles per character, dynamic stages and the presence of a Super gauge with three tiers that lets you unleash screen-filling special moves. Nintendo didn't invent these, they blatantly ripped them off. Even the first party mashup wasn't their idea - SEGA did it first with Fighters Megamix.

Yes, it does look like a clone. Completely intentional too, devs made it clear they like the Smash games. So what? Almost every 2D fighter out there started out as a SF2 lookalike and if "wah wah copy wah" - the trademark last resort from Nintendo fans since 1996 - is the biggest complaint about this, then it must be pretty damn solid.

Yes, but looking at the footage I couldn't tell how you determine when someone is close to being knocked out.

Actually, while most of the game looks like Smash Bros, the health system is actually litteral instead of a percentage. It seems you actually bring down your opponents HP to 0, which means the game is a combination of Smash Bros. Simple, chaotic, and fun multiplayer and normal fighting mechanics.

Sold.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, while most of the game looks like Smash Bros, the health system is actually litteral instead of a percentage. It seems you actually bring down your opponents HP to 0, which means the game is a combination of Smash Bros.

I'd say that makes it less of a Smash Bros. clone and more of a

Fnarr fnarr.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd appear the objective isn't throwing each other offstage until you run out of lives, but rather getting the most amount of KOs. The game's similar to Smash in the way it's a 4 player 2.5D mascot fighting game, and that's pretty much it.

If anything this borrows more elements from pre-existing fighting games (especially Capcom's) like unique moves/playstyles per character, dynamic stages and the presence of a Super gauge with three tiers that lets you unleash screen-filling special moves. Nintendo didn't invent these, they blatantly ripped them off. Even the first party mashup wasn't their idea - SEGA did it first with Fighters Megamix.

I know it was intentional but I just couldn't help but compare anyway. If anything, this game looks like Smash Brothers to an extent but it looks like it plays like the Cartoon Network fighting game. I will admit too, I agree with Carbo, it seemed a bit hard to keep up with what character was what.

Edited by Ming Ming Love

I never thought a group of people who were hype for a game like Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing would suddenly not be okay with something like this and shout about it being a blatant rip-off.

It's the exact same fucking concept. Where were you guys when Crash Team Racing came out? This is nothing new.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 5

I never thought a group of people who were hype for a game like Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing would suddenly not be okay with something like this and shout about it being a blatant rip-off.

It's the exact same fucking concept. Where were you guys when Crash Team Racing came out? This is nothing new.

It's not that I'm NOT okay with the game, just finally seeing some footage just made me a bit less excited for it was all. It's apparent that this indeed is "nothing new."

Not to mention SaSASR was one of the best kart racers I played other than MK, a franchise people can't help compare to it. The Sony game doesn't seem up to par with Smash Brothers, a game it's blatantly "copying," was all I was saying. Doesn't mean I'm against the idea

Edited by LunarEdge

I don't have a problem with it being a knock-off. It just doesn't look very good to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am honestly happy it's similar to Smash Bros. I probably wouldn't be as interested in it if it wasn't, I'm just no good at Street Fighter and all that, so I'm excited it goes with the Smash Bros. style. XP

• Thumbs Up 1

I would have been okay with it if it actually looked just as good.

• Thumbs Up 4

Smash Bros is awesome.

Sony characters are awesome.

Sony character Smash Bros is awesome.

Needs its own dojo. Maybe maintained and updated by Kevin Butler.

Speaking of which, he better be represented in the game somehow.

And Crash Bandicoot. They need to pursue the rights to Crash Bandicoot. And Spyro. Then I can have Crash and Spyro vs Jak and Ratchet. Though I doubt they'll be THAT awesome. But one can dream.

I am hype.

As far as I'm concerned it looks fun enough already. It's never something that I really expected to be just as good as Smash Bros. (Come on, it's Sakurai).

It's fine if you don't think the game looks that fun, but seeing one of the main criticisms being that "it's like Smash Bros." just seems outright stupid to me.

Edited by Chooch

As far as I'm concerned it looks fun enough already. It's never something that I really expected to be just as good as Smash Bros. (Come on, it's Sakurai).

It's fine if you don't think the game looks that fun, but seeing one of the main criticisms being that "it's like Smash Bros." just seems outright stupid to me.

it's only natural that people will make the comparison come on now. People are going to continue to do so so I'll just accept it tongue.png

Needs its own dojo. Maybe maintained and updated by Kevin Butler

That would be awesome. The Dojo was pretty awesome and made waiting for the game more exciting when it came to Brawl.

Edited by LunarEdge