Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

Had some time to play against Chooch in a few matches. Those were some damn good matches, pal. Especially that Ratchet. Man, he was a bitch to approach. Felt good to get some time into this game and go some rounds again.

Whenever you want to go again, and if I'm able to, give me a shout!

I had fun. I'd definitely like to play again. I haven't been playing in a while so I was pretty rusty. Especially with characters outside of Ratchet.

I still think it's pretty safe to say I'm one of the best Ratchet players in the business tho'. ;3 He's my signature character, I put a lot of time and effort into him early on and it shows.

Your Radec is pretty solid. I personally think the match up versus Ratchet is terrible for him, but you definitely put in work and capitalized on a lot of my mistakes. Beat me a good few times without even building to level 3.

I really need to start recording matches.

Edited by Chooch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the double post, but this happened: apparently, Dart and another character were considered as DLC after Zeus and Isaac but were scrapped for low DLC sales.

1260117992065.gif

Yes, Santa Monica, great work: put the good and interesting characters in the row and first let us have the most bland you have, so you can blame us for this.

Idiots.

If only i had a Twitter account, i would have spammed this like hell.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry for the double post, but this happened: apparently, Dart and another character were considered as DLC after Zeus and Isaac but were scrapped for low DLC sales.

1260117992065.gif

Yes, Santa Monica, great work: put the good and interesting characters in the row and first let us have the most bland you have, so you can blame us for this.

Idiots.

If only i had a Twitter account, i would have spammed this like hell.

Are you fucking kidding me? They released two shitty characters that no one ever asked for and then cancel one of the most requested ones because those other two pieces of shit didn't sell enough? Whats next? Crash was his rival and was also cancelled?

eO0Qvra.jpg

Just forget it. There is no hope. The game is dead.

Maybe next time in the PS4, right guys?

Edited by Tmsp
  • Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

So not sure if this will ever see the light of day but... it seems that another stage got leaked, a former designer of the game had some material on his website showing what might have been the stage which acompanied the cancelled Dart DLC.

500px-GravityRush_01.jpg

500px-Journey_Mashup.jpg

It's a gravity rush stage... with elements from Journey creeping into it...

I just... I... .. .... Has there been any game in the last year which hasn't had all its potential wasted as much as this one has?

Source: http://www.playstationeuphoria.com/general/gravity-rushjourney-stage-leaked-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale.html

• Thumbs Up 4

Edit: Nevermind lol.

PSASBR had way too much wasted potential. I'm honestly not even sure if we'll even see a sequel in the future.

Edited by Nintendoga

That looks pretty rad, didn't knew about Dart, they even made a model? FFS Santa Monica, if his rival was... you know very well who, then fuck you. You cancelled a very requested character but released 2 no one asked for? Very smart guys.

Edited by Jango

Edit: Nevermind lol.

PSASBR had way too much wasted potential. I'm honestly not even sure if we'll even see a sequel in the future.

The game was a disappointment for Sony. Didn't they fire off the entire team that made the game?

The stage seems to be near completion, I wonder why they didn't just sell it off?

So in addition to no Dart and (potentially Abe), we missed out on a Gravity Rush/Journey stage?  

Common Sony, you have this large library of great characters and worlds, and not only do you mess up on the presentation (menus look increably cheep) and release DLC no one asked for (Isaac isn't even a PS character and who asked for Zeus?) but you scrap the DLC that had not only added characters that SHOULD have been in the game day 1, but scrap a stage that really pushed the mash up idea (not to mention complements the games, both have beautiful stylized looks). 

I really hope there's a sequel in the works that fixes all the stuff wrong with the original because it was filled with so much potential to be wasted :(

The game was a disappointment for Sony. Didn't they fire off the entire team that made the game?

The stage seems to be near completion, I wonder why they didn't just sell it off?

They could release it with Dart (and his rival) in the future but they don't see the point; it was a commercial failure even with the games pitifully low budget so seeing any more content made for it would be unexpected :(

Maybe there saving this content as a potential Gamescom announcement or something.

That looks pretty rad, didn't knew about Dart, they even made a model? FFS Santa Monica, if his rival was... you know very well who, the fuck you. You cancelled a very requested character but released 2 no one asked for? Very smart guys.

His rival was Abe, I think.

There where also some rumors going around last month about an Assassins Creed character and a Persona character being cut out and that does fit with previous events like the dude from Atlus saying that it would be cool if Teddie was in the game and how that guy (Paul or some shit like that) that had information from the planning stages said that a dude from Assassins Creed was being considered.

Pretty sad if it is true. 

If they make a sequel, they should actually make some efforts to get good 3rd party characters from the start as well as first party ones. Seriously, where the hell are the Team Ico characters, Tigershark from Invizimals and someone from Dark Cloud?

Also, make it a 3D Brawler like Anarchy Reigns.

Oh, and make sure to deliver the game to someone that you actually care like Naughty Dog like it was meant to be from the start. 

The only option that could implement both Dart, Abe and the stage could be a "complete edition" a la Super Street Fighter.

But in any case, SSM should be really ashamed for having wasted all of this precious material.

Abe was actually one of the major characters I was looking forward to with this game before it released. There's plenty of fans of the Oddworld series and definitely more than enough people that at least have some form of nostalgia for him, so it's really sad that he never got to make it through. Oddworld is basically like one of the top 5 games I think of when thinking back to PS1 days. Boohiss.

Stage looks cool though *shrugs*. IDK I'd be a lot more interested about this game still if the entire heart behind it didn't drop off the face of the earth. Would love a sequel for PS4 but not sure if I'd see it happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game was a disappointment for Sony because it didn't sell, which was hugely due to lack of marketing other then some internet buzz. Gamers on the internet got some videos every now and then, but the general audience and "casuals" out there only received one or two commercials. I don't remember any events, posters, or any of that kind of stuff around to promote this game.

Sony fucked up with the marketing, probably thinking this would be a sleeper hit or maybe thinking that the concept of being a "Sony Smash Bros." would be enough to sell this game, and it ended up biting them in the ass.

Sony got mad that PSASBR didn't sell, so they cut off ties with Superbot, who is currently independent and working on a new IP.

You know Naughty Dog was originally gonna make the game. I kinda wish they went through with that, I feel like ND would've done a better job overall with the game, and Sony would've actually tried marketing the game, not wanting to piss off Naughty Dog (who's probably one of the best companies they've got.).

The game was a disappointment for Sony because it didn't sell, which was hugely due to lack of marketing other then some internet buzz. Gamers on the internet got some videos every now and then, but the general audience and "casuals" out there only received one or two commercials. I don't remember any events, posters, or any of that kind of stuff around to promote this game.

Sony fucked up with the marketing, probably thinking this would be a sleeper hit or maybe thinking that the concept of being a "Sony Smash Bros." would be enough to sell this game, and it ended up biting them in the ass.

Sony got mad that PSASBR didn't sell, so they cut off ties with Superbot, who is currently independent and working on a new IP.

You know Naughty Dog was originally gonna make the game. I kinda wish they went through with that, I feel like ND would've done a better job overall with the game, and Sony would've actually tried marketing the game, not wanting to piss off Naughty Dog (who's probably one of the best companies they've got.).

So Superbot didn't get completely wrecked from PSASBR?  I thought they had massive lay offs and closed down, so its great to know there still making games :)

On topic though; the fact that Naughty Dog was going to make the game but for what ever reason didn't is odd; if one of Sony's top tier developers have no issue making the game, then they should have done it instead of hiring Superbot.  Naughty Dog making the game would have solved the games bigger issues; the presentation would have been incredible, there name alone would have had 3rd party developers and other internal Sony teams more conferrable with there characters, and the game would have turned out better alone. 

So Superbot didn't get completely wrecked from PSASBR?  I thought they had massive lay offs and closed down, so its great to know there still making games smile.png

No, they're still alive. Superbot did get the massive layoffs and is now substantially smaller than before.

As for the Naughty Dog thing, Sony did approach them and ask them. However ND was too busy with the Last of Us and their PS4 game,  so they declined, which prompted Sony to create Superbot.

No, they're still alive. Superbot did get the massive layoffs and is now substantially smaller than before.

As for the Naughty Dog thing, Sony did approach them and ask them. However ND was too busy with the Last of Us and their PS4 game,  so they declined, which prompted Sony to create Superbot.

Well, its good there still making games, but a real shame they had a lot of layoffs sad.png

So Naughty Dog couldn't make it and they got Superbot, but why didn't they just hire a team known for fighters?  Its not like Sony couldn't have got Dimps, Netherealm, or the Soul Caliber/Tekken teams to work on it via contract.  I'm not dissing Superbot or anything (I thought PSAS was a solid game, but really lacking with the UI and content sad.png) but saying "we have the guys behind Street Fight/Mortal Kombat/Marvel vs. Capcom making this game, can we use X character for it" would have been MUCH easier than saying "we have this new team of guys making this game"

Nintendo is doing this for Smash Brothers with the Namco Bandi, so why couldn't Sony do it? 

Edited by RK64

If it's money that SSM and Sony want, they could easily make a kickstarter just like Skullgirls' developers did. No, the problem is that they don't want to waste energy on this product anymore and they make excuses of any sorts; maybe it's because they're lazy or because they don't know how code the product, but in any case, it's a real shame.

So not sure if this will ever see the light of day but... it seems that another stage got leaked, a former designer of the game had some material on his website showing what might have been the stage which acompanied the cancelled Dart DLC.

500px-GravityRush_01.jpg

500px-Journey_Mashup.jpg

It's a gravity rush stage... with elements from Journey creeping into it...

I just... I... .. .... Has there been any game in the last year which hasn't had all its potential wasted as much as this one has?

Source: http://www.playstationeuphoria.com/general/gravity-rushjourney-stage-leaked-for-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale.html

Not only that, but the same site has an article about some scrapped new menu designs.

2968ad943484c7a372ffe71956136256.jpg

7528fa833684ee1a37e77c6f3e1029e1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been thinking of picking this game up since owning a PS3, but with all this shit going on and all the wasted potential (ABE!!!) I don't know if I want to get it. I'll probably have some fun with it, but I was hoping this would be like a decent SSB clone. Why have Good and Evil Cole as seperate characters? WTF is Isaac doing here? Why does the game feel like no care, love and attention to detail went into it compared to Nintendo's brawler?

If a sequel is ever made and it improves on a lot of things from the original I might actually buy it. For now though, I think I might just rent this. What a bloody shame. =[

I've been thinking of picking this game up since owning a PS3, but with all this shit going on and all the wasted potential (ABE!!!) I don't know if I want to get it. I'll probably have some fun with it, but I was hoping this would be like a decent SSB clone. Why have Good and Evil Cole as seperate characters? WTF is Isaac doing here? Why does the game feel like no care, love and attention to detail went into it compared to Nintendo's brawler?

If a sequel is ever made and it improves on a lot of things from the original I might actually buy it. For now though, I think I might just rent this. What a bloody shame. =[

Cole and Evil Cole are two seperate characters because Sucker Punch wanted it to be like that. In other words, it was either two Coles or no Cole at all. In my opinion if they made the two Coles use the same slot like Kuma and Panda in Tekken, people would care less about it. 

Isaac is in there probably because it was cheap to get since the game had a limited budget.

Saying that the game had no love and attention to details its a lie. SuperBot made a wonderful job with what they had. Every character feels just like they feel in their games and the small details like the different swiming animations are really charming.

Like I said, the game had a really small budget, of course things like the menus and other stuff won't be on the level of SSB which is a Nintendo AAA title.

Again, SuperBot really did an amazing job just with what they had and on top of that they listened to the fans, unlike Santa Monica.

Why do you think that Kat is in the game, there where numerous patches and Abe/Dart where being made? Because SuperBot cared about the fans and wanted to make a great game for them. Hell, they even wanted the real Dante but where only able to get the new one.

Now Santa Monica can go fuck itself. The moment they get the game they cancel all the DLC made from SuperBot's efforts and shove shit that no one asked for like Zeus and Isaac expecting to get sales and then abandon the game.

In my opinion you should get the game, its really fun, but if you are expecting SSB with Sony characters you'll be disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 2 weeks later...

An official statement was released today by Sony Santa Monica in regards to the future of PlayStation All-Stars:

Hi guys,

First, thank you for your continued and passionate support for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. We've had a lot of challenges along the way, and we appreciate your dedication and commitment to the game. We understand there have been a lot of questions which we have been unable to answer. Today, we’d like to hit those head on and share our plans for the future.

First off, the tough news:

-- There will not be any new DLC characters or environments released for PS All Stars. We were proud to work with SuperBot Entertainment and they created a great game, but the characters that have already been released to-date represent the full content for PS All Stars.

-- In the course of any game's development, there are always elements that never quite get finished or the team decides not to use in the final game. Some of these additional materials from the game’s development phase have been recently released, but unfortunately these are very far from finished assets and were not included in the final game for a number of production and legal reasons.

On the brighter side, here are our plans going forward:

-- Balance Patch: This is still in the early stages of research and development. Even if everything goes smoothly with the development and implementation, the patch will not be finished until later this fall. In particular, we’re assessing all character strengths, weaknesses, and functionality for adjustment considerations in this patch. We have been monitoring your feedback in the forums, and will continue to follow your thoughts throughout the process.

-- We have a third set of costumes for Dante, Raiden, Heihachi, and Big Daddy that were only exclusively available as pre-order bonuses in the US. While the other pre-order costumes were eventually available for sale through the PlayStation Store, these last four costumes were never released. We are going to release these four costumes on PSN as a completely free digital download to everyone on August 27. We’ll keep you informed as the date approaches.

-- Zeus + Isaac's third costumes will also be made available free. This will require some back-end work, and so these two costumes will go live with the balance patch release later this fall. When they are released, these costumes will also be free for everyone to download from the PlayStation Store.

-- Monthly Tournament Leaderboard Resets: We are aggressively looking into the issue of title belts not being correctly appropriated to some people based on their seasonal performance. We do not have a fix at this time, but will keep you posted on our progress. In the interim, starting today, we are resetting the overall leaderboards, and will continue this on a monthly basis. Monthly seasons are back! Along with this effort we are going to establish a set of community activities that will be communicated on the official All-Stars forums, designed to recognize the top monthly competitors.

On a personal note, we want thank everyone for their dedication to the game. There have been a lot of challenges on the development side, and for the players as well, but it's this kind of passion from players that inspires us to try and move forward, even during difficult times.

- The Team at Sony Santa Monica

In short, there will be no new DLC characters or stages, there is a new balance patch coming this fall and the remaining unreleased costumes for the game will be released for free in the coming months.

Edited by Chooch

Sounds good! I've had to pick up PSASBR because my friend refuses to play Smash Bros. because I "always win."

Silently praying Raiden and Kratos cease to be the most annoying characters I have ever battled.

I'm looking forward to the three-person battle I'll be having at Sonic Boom; nothing can beat a group battle of people rather than computers! Now to just train my ex to use characters he doesn't find attractive.