Rouge Fan

Sonic Channel

On 8/21/2016 at 10:13 PM, StaticMania said:

Even though...it's slightly less child-like, isn't Tails testing out a pro-type plane and wanting to impress Sonic by showing him a new one something like that. I mean, all the characters besides Gamma E-102 start out on the characters down time. Not as casual as Amy...who starts off on a casual strip though, from shopping and walking home. Though it's probsly cause she's a goil.

I don't think so personally. Both scenarios carry different connotations about them. Tails tinkering with his actual bi-plane and being excited about it when he shows it to Sonic is pretty minimal, bare bones stuff. I'd get more out of seeing Tails just playing with a toy at his own lesisure without any added incentive to impress anyone at the moment. Plus, I was merely using the picture provided as a base example.

If it were up to me I'd have Tails sing a pop song in front of a mirror with a towel around his waist while he was brushing his teeth. Like a little nerdling. And then Sonic would totally just walk in, see it, then walk back out with a shit eating grin on his face. 

53 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Anyone have a translated version of Stick's profile?

Didn't someone translate it a ton of pages back? 

11 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

I'm surprised nobody has made a fully translated version of the Sonic Channel website.

Does this mean like a fan using their time and effort to translate the entire site? Or an official English version?

4 minutes ago, big_smile said:

Thrippa translated the profiles a few years ago, but that was before Sticks was posted. 

I think there's only ever been machine translation of Sticks. 

Yep that's the Sticks translation I was talking about.

As for the website, some of the wording is translated incorrectly (like translating "slightly reckless" to "run swiftly for a short while" for Silver) but for the most part it's good.

41 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Does this mean like a fan using their time and effort to translate the entire site? Or an official English version?

The former. I would do it, but I can't remake the entire website in English on mobile, nor can I understand Japanese.

On 8/23/2016 at 1:35 PM, big_smile said:

Thrippa translated the profiles a few years ago, but that was before Sticks was posted. 

I think there's only ever been machine translation of Sticks. 

On 8/23/2016 at 1:46 PM, KoDaiko said:

Yep that's the Sticks translation I was talking about.

As for the website, some of the wording is translated incorrectly (like translating "slightly reckless" to "run swiftly for a short while" for Silver) but for the most part it's good.

We seemed to have other people here who were getting to things faster than I could (and doubtless more accurately), so I didn't see a point in adding another version.  Besides, I was out of town when Sticks came out, and it seemed a bit late to chime in on that one. 

I only ever translated the character profiles, not the entire site.  My Japanese is self-taught and dictionary-aided, so I know I'm missing a number of idioms. But the Japanese Sonic sites always had so much more info than the English ones.  I started with Sonic Riders, and I think the translation ran to about 15 pages, while the entire English site had maybe one and a half pages of text.  I have translated a few other things, like the Truth about the Ark incident (long and short versions), which may or may not be in this thread - they may have been in the one that got erased.

4 hours ago, Thrippa said:

I have translated a few other things, like the Truth about the Ark incident (long and short versions), which may or may not be in this thread - they may have been in the one that got erased.

Do you have copies of these translations? There is this ARK one, but I'm not sure if it is the same. Thanks!

18 hours ago, big_smile said:

Do you have copies of these translations? There is this ARK one, but I'm not sure if it is the same. Thanks!

Wow, I'd completely forgotten about that one!  Good to see it again.  No, I meant the sidebar from the Japanese SA2 (I think) and SA2B strategy guides.  I have the SA2B guide which has the abridged version of 'The Truth About 50 Years Ago'.

This is the longer one; I got the original text from South Island Stories:

Epilogue:  The Truth of 50 Years Ago

During my secret investigation,  I obtained, through a hole in GUN security, Top Secret data related to Project Shadow and the disappointment of the President of the federal government of the time.  Sent from the president 13 presidents ago and addressed to Professor Gerald, this letter requests Top Secret research.  What resulted from this letter is stated below:

"Mankind's ultimate, immortal dream, the launch of research on perpetual youth and longevity" it reads.

At first, Gerald was firm in his refusal of this request, for it exceeded man's lot.  Such a statement from a highly influential person might be expected to close the project, but (with what irony!) Gerald's beloved granddaughter, Maria Robotnik, was to give it a chance to be realized.  Maria contracted a disease, "NIDS" - hereditary immune deficiency syndrome -  and at that time, medical treatment for this illness was considered difficult.  Nevertheless, improvement was anticipated due to continuing investigation into such treatment in the medical research facility on the ARK.  In frustration, Gerald  considered the subjugation of this incurable disease a reason to do research into perpetual youth and longevity.  As for this research, although it was to be carried out amidst absolute secrecy inside the ARK, it is recorded that is was named Project Shadow;called thus from the irony of producing a shadow (a thing that doesn't gain a glorious existence in this world).

Although at first everyone considered this plan grand and reckless, Professor Gerald's ingenious brains never failed in its fabrication.  Experiments with Chaos drives, based on the study of Chaos Emeralds, as a practical application of the infinite energy to life activities resulted in sucess; this project shortly led to the completion of the prototype.  The "Prototype of the Ultimate Life-form" was created with a lizard as the base creature, due to its regeneration abilities.  The researchers were delighted to note signs of astounding growth, self-healing, and self propagation.

But this moment of joy, that the prototype's abilities at length exceeded the researchers' wildest expectations, was brief.  These abilities soon became an obstacle to the researchers' ability to control it for the duration of the investigation, and it reached the point that voices were raised to question the safety of the project.  Perhaps it was an inside source that leaked to GUN the information that they thought the prototype was running wild, the truth is not known.  However, GUN's command considered all those involved with the original research as suspect, leading to their making plans to shut down the ARK itself.  This informal strategy was "Operation Overthrow and Seal ARK".  

Due to sudden biohazard outbreak in the ARK research labs,  the colony would be blockaded, and all colony residents rescued from the disaster; this was the public goal of the operation.  The true purpose, of course, was none other than to shut down the ARK research facility and delete Project Shadow, and hold Professor Gerald responsible for the disaster.  Never since GUN's founding had an operation of such scope been carried out, but only 7 days after the start of the operation, all the ARK's residents were moved back to Earth.  The ARK's entire research facility was frozen by GUN, and everyone involved with Project Shadow was announced to be victims of the disaster, except Professor Gerald.  The operation concluded by sealing the Prototype of the Ultimate Life-form, found in the extreme depths of the colony.  However, the strategists made only one miscalculation: the operation was carried out too late.  Professor Gerald, using a different base creature, appears to have almost completed the Ultimate Life-form "Shadow".  With GUN's special forces on the brink of breaking into the research establishment, Gerald escaped, entrusting it to his granddaughter Maria; it is confirmed that at that time one escape capsule was launched towards Earth.  (We do not currently know the whereabouts of the capsule at that time.)

As a result, Gerald was afterward captured by the special forces and imprisoned on Prison Island.  Whether this hedgehog "Shadow the Hedgehog" now deceased, the "Shadow" that was sealed on Prison Island, was a replica made by Gerald's hand or was the real "Shadow" recovered after being launched to Earth, there is now no way to determine...

~ Excerpt from the final report by Rouge the Bat concerning Project Shadow ~  

The shorter one runs as follows:

The Truth about 50 Years Ago

(The start of research into perpetual youth and longevity, the eternal "ultimate dream" of mankind.)

Professor Gerald, regarding a dispatch addressed to him thirteen presidents ago that offered a commission to do top-secret research, refused the offer obstinately for it exceeded man's limits.  However, for the sake of medical treatment to save his beloved granddaughter Maria Robotnik, who was infected with a deadly and incurable disease,  he ended his bitter determination and began his research into perpetual youth and longevity.  This research, to be carried out with absolute secrecy within the ARK, was named "Project: Shadow", from the implication of "shadow" - a thing that had no existence.

At length, due to the ingenious mind of Prof. Gerald, the "prototype" of the Ultimate Life-Form was created; based on a lizard and posessing self-healing abilities.  The prototype possessed an astounding self-recovery ability, but soon the researchers were nearly unable to control the being; afraid of danger, GUN put an end to [the experiment] by blockading the colony, sealing the prototype, and seizing Professor Gerald as the person responsible for the disaster.  However, it was already too late - Prof. Gerald had already completed the Ultimate Life-Form Shadow using a different base creature by the time GUN broke in, who in fact was trying to escape to Earth with Maria by means of an escape capsule.  As for the capsule's whereabouts, at that time they were unknown and remain so today.

50 years have passed since the incident.  Now, this hedgehog "Shadow the Hedgehog"  had been sealed in Prison Island.  Whether this "Shadow" is a copy made by Prof. Gerald's hand, or the real form of "Shadow" that was ejected towards earth was recovered, there is currently no way to determine.

-- partial excerpt from Rouge's final report concerning "Project Shadow" --

Gotta love how Vector lined up Espio and Charmy like suspects, making an investigation out of everything. This also feels strangely familiar; except in Shadow the Hedgehog it was Vector who stole Charmy's pudding and secretly ate it. But of course they're the suspects. At least it seems Charmy beat him up for it in the end.

So the agency for the game Chaotix is the same one as in Sonic X? Well, as long as that's the only thing carried over from the series I'm fine with it. I've heard many theories that their agency is set in a furniture store in Sonic Heroes, but the room behind the door Charmy burst through in Team Chaotix's intro always looked more like a messy living room to me.

Also pretty interesting is that they actually mentioned Knuckles' Chaotix for the first time as part of Vector's history, considering all three of them were rebooted for Heroes. If the translator was correct, they also say Espio was already a detective back then (no mention of Mighty), so the trio must have formed their business after the events of that game.

Looking forward to two more weeks of Chaotix madness! (unless Espio and Charmy are paired up with other characters for their comic)

Edit: Isn't there a mistake in the translation? The joke is that Vector accidentally put the pudding in the freezer instead of into the fridge below it. I don't get why the freezer is suddenly opened or transparent in the lower panels, though. : P

Here's another translation that should be correct: http://ykz-sonic.blogspot.co.at/2016/09/sonic-channel-comic-vector-true-whereabouts.html