Rouge Fan

Sonic Channel

I like the older design more. The way the chest area is detached is strange, but other than that, it seems more... natural than the current design. The newer one looks a lot more comical, and I don't think that's a good thing.

I like the pointed shoes better, too.

Aha, I see. That does make sense. Overall I like his pointy shoes in a retro way, but generally I think his rounded ones make more sense considering that's the shape of his foot inside.

Unun... I can't tell which style is better. I can tell however that the Rush picture where Sonic holds his arms looks awful. ゚ д ゚

The older pictures are somewhat more appealing with their unusual bendy curves. Newer images are more static and 'sane'. But that doesn't really matter, I'm more worried about the quality, proportions and amount of thought put into a pose (and the pic mentioned above sucks at all of those).

But the worst thing I'm worried about is the Chronicles art. ಥ﹏ಥ Or more like how some poeple seem to LIKE >>IT<<. O_O They could have just taken a random artist from Deviantart and offered them an autograph from Yuji Naka or whomever in return for a bunch of doodles. And I'm serious about it. (_ _)*

What's wrong with people liking the Chronicles art? Just 'cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's 'worrying' if others do. It's just personal taste; nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, I thought the Chronicles art was pretty good. I enjoyed the glimpses I got of it during special attacks.

The artwork during the comic book cut-scenes... that was a bit (see also: majorly) iffy, but the actual promotional art was neat.

Yeah, you never see Sonic doing anything now but standing around in poses. Maybe running, but not ever using anything like a board or skis. Except for the Riders series, but even then those poses don't look as cool as the older ones.

I see the extra loudness, but it just looks noisy and cluttered to me. Most of those poses make no sense. Why is he contorting himself like that?

I agree that the new art could be a little more exciting - but I still prefer it. I'd just like to see maybe some more accessories and action poses, but nothing as goofy and surreal as the older stuff.

sonicpose.jpg
I sooooo agree with you Dr. Sega Monkey. Honestly this has been bothering me ever since 2007. He's lost his touch or something. Uekawa's SA2 art especially I adore. I have a big kick-ass SA2 poster in my room that came with the Multi-Dimensional Soundtrack. Also, back in the Adventure days, he actually looked 15.

Nowadays, Uekawa draws him as if he's 5 years younger. What the hell?! Sonic's not a child, he's a teen right? Shouldn't he look like one?

I think it has to do with the current direction within Sonic Team's art dept. I'm thinking he's being forced to draw sonic within these new, "boring" proportions. Sachiko Kawamura (the one responsible for the Unleashed model, also has a key factor in sonic's new design nowadays.) She supervised the sonic character models for Mario & Sonic Olympics. I'm not stating facts or anything on if this is true, but that's just my guess. I know his Unleashed model looks clean, but it doesn't have the cool factor.

It's like they're designing sonic to appeal to little kids.

Take a look at the pic on the right. His muzzle looks..... flat and unexaggerated. His body is smaller, while his head is the same size in both pictures.... ugh! They also made his spines shorter. That really pisses me off. His spines should look cool and long. Also, his shoes are smaller and rounder..... boring!

His adventure design had style and attitude. This is the exact opposite. Just another one of those generic looking animals.

Same thing even with art that shares the same pose:

sonicpose.jpg

It's like Yuji Uekawa is evening out Sonic's proportions or something. Sure, the one on the right is all clean and on-model with Sonic's in-game appearance, but where's the fun in that?! Again, I'm not saying I don't like like Uekawa's newer stuff, because I really do like it, I'm just saying I miss his old style.

Meh... The old style looks cool, but I like the newer one because it looks more polished.

I think it has to do with the current direction within Sonic Team's art dept. I'm thinking he's being forced to draw sonic within these new, "boring" proportions.

Doubt it. He designed Ristar after all.

It's like they're designing sonic to appeal to little kids.

No, you're thinking of the Adventure style. I'm 20 and I prefer the Rush style to the Adventure style. You're sonicteamUSA, aren't you?

Hmm, I like the pose.

As for the discussion above... I could care less about the art, but I myself do prefer the current stuff better. Its a lot cleaner and more polished. I don't give a rip about the designs, though. The only difference I see is an extra layer of polish on more recent pics.

Doubt it. He designed Ristar after all.
What does that have to do with sonic's new image? He did do the CG illustrations for sonic next gen, so that tells me he still has that adventure style way of thinking. It depends on what the art director for the game wants though.

I'm not sure how sonic channel works, but I'm guessing Uekawa's illustrations on there are how he personally likes to draw them nowadays.... which is sad. I don't mean to say it's bad. It's just not cool anymore. The illustrations look to "happy". Just generic poses and all.

I'm 20 and I prefer the Rush style to the Adventure style.
That makes sense since you like sonic's classic image and hate pretty much everything about modern sonic (except SA1, judging from your posts).

You're sonicteamUSA, aren't you?
Who is this you speak of?

fig_50.gif
Cool, that actually looks like his SA2 design. Except his forehead looks smaller than it's supposed to look. And his spines and ears are a little too short. Edited by lounge

Urghh, you're all forgetting we're not in the late 90's anymore, back then edgy and graffiti-esque styles were all the range hence why the Adventure art looks so extreme, hell it was even hand inked back then. Nowadays everything has to be clean cut and stylish and the SA style has adapted to suit whats popular nowadays. SA style isn't a simple style by any means, it took me 2+ years to learn how to imitate it and have a decent end result, 99% of people who try it cock it up, ENVY, E-121 PSI and ShockRabbit are the only three fan artists I know besides myself who can pull it off properly to be honest =/, it looks simple but its far more complicated than it looks.

I'm not sure how sonic channel works, but I'm guessing Uekawa's illustrations on there are how he personally likes to draw them nowadays.... which is sad. I don't mean to say it's bad. It's just not cool anymore. The illustrations look to "happy". Just generic poses and all.

Really? I think his artwork has improved drastically from what it was back then. I look at the old artwork, and it all looks so sloppy and off-model compared to what we get from him now.

Why doesn't anyone post links when an update is mentioned in this topic, I'm looking at you Professor-J. Just kidding. :lol:

If anyone wants the link to the preview its here -

http://blog.sonic-channel.jp/

Fang... FANG. FANG!

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SPEEDY AND BLUE! FANG!!!

6月のカレンダー関係は明日更新予定です。クイズの正解発表まであまり時間がありませんが、どのくらいの人が答えられるかな?

This translates to

"Six months of calendar relationships will update tomorrow.

You do not have much time until the announcement of the quiz answers, how can people answer?"

Hmm... default.jpg

Edited by Indigo Rush