Awoo.

International Sporting Events

Sega DogTagz

This kinda came up in a different topic, but I really think its unique enough to warrant its own discussion.

International sporting events are always seen as the next big leap for sporting franchises. The NFL, NBA and MLB have all dipped their toes into the waters by playing games in several different countries. China, Japan, Mexico and the UK are all places these leagues have gone and seen.

Now a new report offers contradicting evidence of the NFL practically guaranteeing the nation’s largest event a change in venue. Motives that have been supported and rejected by various NFL sources in the last 2 weeks.

SuperBowl to London 2014?

According to the newspaper, representatives from the Mayor of London's office and Visit London, the city's official visitor organization, have received assurances from the National Football League of a commitment to hold the event in London.

……

"We are looking at 2014, 2015 or 2017," David Hornby, the commercial director for Visit London was quoted as saying.

I simply ask one question. Where do you draw the line? Should nationalized sporting events even be allowed to spill over boarders that the league itself does not cross? Should the US, a country with little to no appreciation for international soccer, be allowed to host something like the FIFA World Cup? Should people be actively trying to export America’s biggest sporting platform?

At what point does this become more about money, than the will to spread out the global love for the game? These are questions that are highly debatable, but I want to know what you guys really think.

C’mon Sports fans, lets hear what you’ve got to say.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sega DogTagz

• pooshoes

• Phos

• Eileanach

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Should the US, a country with little to no appreciation for international soccer, be allowed to host something like the FIFA World Cup?

Seeing as the 1994 World Cup was hosted in the US, I don't really see how this is a problem.

The closest thing to the Superbowl in football would be the Champions League final, which is the most prestigious game in European domestic football. Needless to say, it would be majorly fucked up if it were to be played outside of Europe.

Seeing as the 1994 World Cup was hosted in the US, I don't really see how this is a problem.

If I was old enough at the time, I would have a pretty strong opinion against having it here. I don’t think a sporting event of such a caliber should be held in front of fans whom aren’t capable of appreciating it to its fullest potential. Maximum social welfare in terms of target audience if you will.

I know some events have jumped boarders in the past, I’m just tiring to express my distain in a useless attempt at preventing it from happening again and again in the future.

Why would the US Gran Prix be held at Indianapolis? The F1 circuit at Indy is a road course inside of an oval. To me, the idea of putting an F1 car on a track that is 1/3 and oval is absurd. There are much better choices in the US. For example,

or Laguna Seca. But man, Indy? You might as well be racing F1 cars on an autocross.

Well I understand that America may SEEM like they have no interest in football (as in soccer) but... let's face it almost all typically American film I have saw (opinion not fact) has kids wanting to be on the "soccer team" or something to do with kids "loving soccer" so I wouldn't say that America are unappreciative of Football they just named it incorrectly and seem to think they are the only team that matters.

Everything is a business these days, who ever bids the highest to host something gets it. It's not to do with how much you appreciate the sport, so I don't think "fairness" comes into it really.

There are much better choices in the US. For example,
or Laguna Seca. But man, Indy? You might as well be racing F1 cars on an autocross.

I can agree with that. I think they just went with Indy for the names “shock value”. Laguna Seca is an underrated course IMO. Its layout is almost flawless and I could never for the life of me find many courses out here that I liked better.

Well I understand that America may SEEM like they have no interest in football (as in soccer) but... let's face it almost all typically American film I have saw (opinion not fact) has kids wanting to be on the "soccer team" or something to do with kids "loving soccer" so I wouldn't say that America are unappreciative of Football they just named it incorrectly and seem to think they are the only team that matters.

Everything is a business these days, who ever bids the highest to host something gets it. It's not to do with how much you appreciate the sport, so I don't think "fairness" comes into it really.

Don’t get me wrong, there are plenty of fans over here that really do love he sport. MLS is a thriving league that just put in a few more expansion teams a few years back (if I’m not mistaken). But there is no way that our soccer scene comes even remotely close to that of other countries.

I agree that everything is about money these days but when David Stern (NBA Commissioner) talks about the international influence (25 second clip) you almost want to believe that there is a more “good” force behind it. I guess it’s just hard to imagine a simple game of putting a ball in a hoop evolving to such extensive social and economic influence, but that just what its been turning into since its creation.