Awoo.

Sonic Generations: PC Discussion

Remy

Seeing as there's enough technical chit chat around (will it run, what's wrong with my game?) I figure the PC version could use it's own topic.

Do talk about

• ​How the game runs on your system
  • Trouble you're having
  • Tweaks/Recommendations
  • PC centric stuff
  • How much better PC gaming is over it's filthy console counterparts

You get the gist. I'm going back to playing the game, but I just want everyone to know the game has perfect 360 controller support, and runs like a dream on an i7/gtx570 combination. (which should surprise no one tongue.png) I'd like it if other people can posts their specs/settings so we can gather what the game is likely to run like on a variety of systems. People on other forums with average/mediocre computers are having trouble, so there's that.

If anyone is managing to take awesome screenshots, maybe post them too!

As I mentioned in the other thread, my friend is having trouble. Here is his Steam Forum post:

"The configuration program works fine, but when I try to load the game, I hear a voice say "Sega", but I don't actually see a logo. Then, I see the game's title with two Sonics wagging their fingers at me over a white background, and that's all I see. If I press buttons, I can hear menu sound effects, but I don't see a menu. If I wait a while, the song changes and the screen is completely white. If I wait a while longer, it goes back to the title."

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series

At least one other person is having the exact same problem as him on the STEAM forums, apparently, and they are working together to solve the problem.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? And if so, have you been able to fix it? And if so, how?

And if so, can I have $20?

Edited by Legendary Emerald

What kind of PC does he have? Is it old? New? Has he set the res to something his monitor can actually support?

What kind of PC does he have? Is it old? New? Has he set the res to something his monitor can actually support?

Here's his STEAM Forum post

"The configuration program works fine, but when I try to load the game, I hear a voice say "Sega", but I don't actually see a logo. Then, I see the game's title with two Sonics wagging their fingers at me over a white background, and that's all I see. If I press buttons, I can hear menu sound effects, but I don't see a menu. If I wait a while, the song changes and the screen is completely white. If I wait a while longer, it goes back to the title. What's going on here, Sega?

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110408-1633)

Also, he says: "yes, resolution is set to my current resolution."

Edited by Legendary Emerald

Copy from SEGAbits...

There are no input lags, the game runs fluidly on 1080p and 60 fps with occasional slowdowns(mostly in modern levels, but i gotta get confirmation if it's my hardware or not). Honestly I gotta say that i'm quite impressed with how perfect if not better the hedgehog engine functions on PC hardware. The visuals look astonishing compared to any screenshot i've seen on the net. No jaggies, no pixels or whatever. The 1080p settings is literally what it says instead of being an overscale of lower rez.

Now for the game itself. I am very impressed, but as I progress i'm starting to feel that the stage list is indeed quite bland when you go from the dreamcast era. This is all opinion and i'm trying to come off as non biased as possible. I was young around the adventure era as well so i'm just as much fan as any other, I just think the picks are really meh. I loved speed highway however. Disagree with the reviews all you want, i'm not forcing myself to feel that way, but I can now relate to what they meant.

Controls aren't bad either for both sonic's. Modern sonic controls better than both colors and unleashed. The level designs have so much alternative paths that you get kinda dizzy at times lol, but i mean that in a postive way. You get used to classic sonic but no doubt his gameplay woulda been so much better if he controlled like the classics, but it's fun nonetheless.

Overall i'm really impressed but the more i progress the less I look forward to the next stage because of the choices. Dreamcast era being kind of the lamest. The one I look forward to most is planet wisp.

Aside from the very occasional frame hiccups, the game runs perfect.

Oh and just in case, this is the hardware i'm running it in(yeah some words are in dutch):

ss.png

Note: Processor is supposed to be 3.2Ghz but it's overclocked towards 3.9

Edited by Djawed

Running a solid 60fps on an i7 920/HD 6970 with a few frame dips in Chemical Plant Zone so far. Also rendered a

to anyone wondering.

Here's his STEAM Forum post

"The configuration program works fine, but when I try to load the game, I hear a voice say "Sega", but I don't actually see a logo. Then, I see the game's title with two Sonics wagging their fingers at me over a white background, and that's all I see. If I press buttons, I can hear menu sound effects, but I don't see a menu. If I wait a while, the song changes and the screen is completely white. If I wait a while longer, it goes back to the title. What's going on here, Sega?

Also, he says: "yes, resolution is set to my current resolution."

Do you know whether or not Steam threw any errors when installing the dependencies when your friend first launched the game? It may also be worth checking the event viewer and look for any errors or warnings that happened around the time of the first run.

Windows XP: Start -> Run -> Type "eventvwr" without quotations and hit enter. Click on "Application" on the left pane.

Windows Vista/7: Start -> Type "event viewer" without quotations and hit enter. Click on "Windows Logs" and then "Application" on the left pane.

You can also try and make sure your friend has the latest graphics driver from Nvidia or AMD/ATI.

Edit: slightly rephrased

Edited by Zimmedon

Do you know whether or not Steam threw any errors when installing the dependencies when your friend first launched the game? It may also be worth checking the event viewer and look for any errors or warnings that happened around the time of the first run.

Windows XP: Start -> Run -> Type "eventvwr" without quotations and hit enter. Click on "Application" on the left pane.

Windows Vista/7: Start -> Type "event viewer" without quotations and hit enter. Click on "Windows Logs" and then "Application" on the left pane.

You can also try and make sure your friend has the latest graphics driver from Nvidia or AMD/ATI.

Edit: slightly rephrased

Steam gave him no errors, there are no errors in his event log, and his drivers are up to date.

Hello fellow Sonic fans.

I sunk all my hard-earned cash into a PC over this year and was a worried that I wouldn't get to play a new Sonic game...until last month.

Here's my system's core components:

• AMD Phenom II X2 555 (unlocked to a quad core at 3.9 GHz)
  • MSI 870-G45 AM3 motherboard
  • AMD 6950 2GB (MSI reference model with unlocked shaders)
  • Asus Xonar DX Audio card
  • Hitachi Deskstar 1 TB hard drive (should I call that a "Desk-Egg?")
  • Acer 23" monitor 1080P monitor at 60Hz refresh rate

As of this post Amazon.com still has the game 15% off; you won't get the two bonus games from Steam but hey we all have those right? You'll still need Steam.

The game ran without a hitch at maximum video settings. They are some slowdowns at Chemical Plant both on classic and modern stages. I left the 6950 at stock, so let's see if I can patch them a bit by overclocking.

If you have a 12-button gamepad, like my Logitech Rumblepad 2 you can use a little application to have it emulate an Xbox360 controller (the menus have the Xbox button labels whether you have an Xbox controller or not!). Find it here: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

With that the controls and the vibration works perfectly. I was playing Sonic Unleashed on PS2 the other day...Generations' controls are like night and day (no pun intended...stupid warehog...).

If you have a PC that can run this game, this is probably the version to pick. With 60 frames per second and fast loading times, it makes me feel good I didn't buy a PS3...that is until Sly Cooper 4 comes out.

Oh, and no I am NOT an AMD fanboy.

Edit: There is one glitch: the text that displays the stages (Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Etc.) is distorted. None of the other text or any graphical errors are present.

EDIT 2: Text issue fixed by disabling anti-aliasing; AMD driver issue for sure.

Edited by sovereign73811

This game kinda shows off how crusty the current consoles are getting. I'm running it in true 1080p 60fps with AA.

Can you make a video of this?

Can you even tell the difference when going on such a high speed, between 30/60 frames? I never could tell the difference, and I have a 60 inch screen

Since PC is the only conceivable way I can play this game, I'm wondering how it'll run before I consider this.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz

Memory: 2GB RAM

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

DirectX: 9.0

Well obviously, these specs seem to match up with the requirements but I don't have a clue about the processor bit. If I can't run this game then no big deal, really. Just wondering if I should even bother.

The Core 2 duo is a lot faster than the Pentium dual, so you're fine there.

Maybe. I don't have a capture card, so I'd have to give fraps a try (I own the full version), but I'm not sure if the performance would still be the same. I'll give it a shot.

edit: The framerate drops pretty badly, kinda reminds me of Unleashed on the PS3 at best.

Edited by Phos

CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.0GHz

RAM: 4 GB

GPU: nVidia GTX 560 1 GB

Game ran perfectly except for a lag or two in CPZ with all settings maxed. From what I'm reading that zone just seems to make most cards work overtime. I also had the desktop hooked up to my 42" HDTV via HDMI and to my 5.1 surround via TOSLINK.

The game initially ran into a lot of lag on my system, however after disabling the anti-aliasing, while keeping everything else enabled, it now runs as smooth as a buttered pig, as a steady 60 FPS. It's so much fun, and the environments look absolutely stunning. I can't believe how anyone could knock this game down for its graphics, its the best looking Sonic game to date.

To anyone who has a solid rig yet is still running into some serious lag, disable anti-aliasing, but keep all the other settings where you want them, and the game should run smoothly. To give you guys an idea of what I'm running, I have:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics Card: Dual GeForce GTX 550 ti cards running in SLI

RAM: 8 gigs

Edited by EXshad

Have you tried with SLI disabled?

Nah, didn't need to. Like I said: disabling the anti-aliasing feature did the trick. Game runs phenomenally, loads faster than the console counterpart (load times are virtually non-existent, actually), it runs at a steady 60 FPS, and looks better than the PS3 version that I own. I'm pleased with the results :P

Nah, didn't need to. Like I said: disabling the anti-aliasing feature did the trick. Game runs phenomenally, loads faster than the console counterpart (load times are virtually non-existent, actually), it runs at a steady 60 FPS, and looks better than the PS3 version that I own. I'm pleased with the results tongue.png

It is possible SLI is causing issues with AA enabled. I would at least give it a try sometime.

Game is running at 60fps, no hiccups as far as I can tell.

AMD Phenom II X4 955

AMD 6850

4GB Ram

Windows 7

AA On

Settings High

I hated Planet Wisp, HATED IT.

Edited by Silencer226

I have an Nvidia graphics card. Generations will not recognize it, even though I updated the driver to the latest version. Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit: Upon further inspection, I may need to integrate the driver.

Edited by Blazey Psychounicorn

AMD Phenom II X4 955

AMD 6950

8GB Ram

Windows 7 64-bit

AA On

Vsync On

Settings High

1920x1080

Game runs at 60fps throughout. It looks gorgeous and plays extremely well. I'm using my 360 controller and I couldn't hope for a better port. The only framerate hiccups are in the spots mentioned by everyone else, but something tells me that's an engine issue, not a hardware issue.

Hopefully high sales of the PC version will encourage SEGA to continue to create high-quality PC ports such as these. I am happy, yes.