Awoo.

Why does Super Sonic suck so much?

Brianzilla2004

I was really excited about Super Sonic being playable in this game. I had seen videos of him in Colors (which I sadly didn't get a chance to play, since I don't have a Wii), and for a few seconds it seemed like he worked more or less identically in Generations when I took him for a test drive. But then I suddenly changed back into normal Sonic after about ten seconds. I collected another 50 Rings and transformed, then looked on in horror as my Rings drained at a rate of two per second. I used my boost and realized it drained an extra ten Rings or so every second that I used the boost.

I didn't remember this happening in the footage from Sonic Colors, so I just checked, and sure enough, he's got infinite boost that doesn't cost any Rings, and he only loses Rings at a rate of one per second.

Why did they ruin Super Sonic like this? He might as well not be in the game. As much as I'm enjoying this game, this is the worst handling of Super Sonic in the entire series. Worse even than Super Sonic in Sonic Riders.

But perhaps the worst offense is in the Classic Sonic levels. Transforming into Super Sonic eats away at your Rings at that same dreadful two per second rate, but what makes it REALLY bad is that Classic Super Sonic doesn't run faster or jump higher than Classic Sonic. From what I can see, the ONLY benefit to being Super Sonic is that you're invincible, which is something that nobody would need by the time they unlock Super Sonic anyway.

Great game, but I'm hoping they patch this to make Super Sonic desirable. Hell, I'd rather have him as a costume that what he is right now.

I know, that final boss was tough, my rings kept draining, atleast when I had like 5 seconds left in the Final part of the boss, I hit a whole stack of rings and it went back up, then I defeated Time Eater. I don't know if I can do it again though...

I find it more of a hinderance than anything else. Classic does absolutlely nothing but eat up your rings and modern lets you boost for like 5 seconds before eating up all your rings. Worst castration ever. Homing attack classic >>>>> Super classic

Colors Super Sonic is the superior version then? Because he wasnt to hot in that game either since he couldnt use wisps. But hell, at least you got to stay as him for more than 2 seconds.

I haven't used him much, actually. I tried him out in Modern Chemical Plant, and I couldn't get him to boost-kick a box out of the way. I was completely stuck until I reverted back into regular Sonic, who moved the box with no problems whatsoever. Also, the usual 'ding' sound wasn't playing when I picked up rings. Probably just a random glitch, but still.

And the Super Sonic stage itself? Honestly, that was probably the worst one ever. Even then, it wasn't *terrible*, but the camera zoomed out too way far as Classic Sonic and I could never see any rings until they were right in front of me.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the record, I was referring to Super Sonic in the normal stages of the game, not the final boss. The Time Eater battle was horrendous, easily being the worst Super Sonic battle ever (which is saying a lot, since I've despised EVERY Super Sonic battle since Sonic Heroes, and Darkspine Sonic's battle in SSR was crud too), but he only drained one Ring per second and functioned pretty much exactly as I expected him to.

I could MAYBE see Super Sonic being this crappy if you could transform into him without wasting ANY Skill Points, but Super Sonic costs 100 Skill Points. As Derpy Hooves said, the Homing Attack is a MUCH better choice then Super Sonic. Hell, Fast Brake alone is better than Super Sonic. In fact, I'd go as far as to say having nothing equipped is better than Super Sonic. At least with nothing equipped, you don't run the risk of accidentally tapping Y / Triangle and depleting all of your Rings, ultimately leading to you having no Rings and being more vulnerable as well as losing all of the Rings you could've improved your score with.

From the way this topic is sounding so far, it seems they either put or at least programmed Super Sonic in at the very last moment...

I haven't beaten the game yet, but are we absolutely certain that Classic SS gets NO acceleration increase at all? Same goes for Modern as well, except for his air boost obviously?

I went ahead and tried him out a little more. Yeah, why the heck is Super Sonic even here? It really does look like Classic Sonic just gets invincibility at the cost of all of his rings (You may as well just use shield), Modern Sonic gets to...lose rings while boosting? I know it's unlimited, but once you have a longer boost gauge you kind of already have that, anyways. I mean all you need to do is kill enemies and collect rings, you have to be *trying* to use all of it. He can also fly in some parts, but it eats your rings too quickly to be of any use. Super Sonic is completely useless in this game.

By no means was he perfect in Colors, since he couldn't use wisps and his jumping was too floaty for some sections (Though I could say the same thing for Sonic 2), but at least there the infinite boost and invincibility was more useful.

<_<

>_>

That's what she said.

Anyways, I personally can't say for myself, since I haven't played the game. But that sounds terrible. Do the Super forms require more rings because of the recession or something?

BTW, can you use shields if you're using Super Sonic? Because if this was the case, you could just use the Lightning Shield and Super Sonic at the same time for classic Sonic. Then you have your double jump, and you attract rings. Bam. Magnetic Super Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

^ Nope, it's either the lightning shield or Super Sonic. You can't have both. dry.png

Edited by Speederino

^ Nope, it's either the lightning shield or Super Sonic. You can't have both. dry.png

Really? You can't use (specific) multiple skills? Lame. -_-

Really? You can't use (specific) multiple skills? Lame. sleep.png

You can, but each Skill costs a certain amount of Skill Points to equip. You can have up to five Skills equipped, but you only have 100 Skill Points total. So in the case of Super Sonic and Homing Attack, those both use 100 Skill Points, meaning you can't use anything else. The normal Shield costs 60, and the elemental Shields cost 70 a piece. So you CAN have an extra couple of Skills equipped along with a Shield. But if you have Super Sonic equipped, that's it...

I really hope people complain a lot about Super Sonic. Perhaps Sonic Team would be willing to work on a patch that would buff Super Sonic up a bit.

I don't find it entirely useless. I'm trying to get my S ranks done (gotta get dem 'chievos) and I'm finding the invincibility that Super Sonic gives you genuinely useful for Crysis City, and to a slightly lesser extent, Planet Wisp.

Colors Super Sonic is the superior version then? Because he wasnt to hot in that game either since he couldnt use wisps. But hell, at least you got to stay as him for more than 2 seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems to be that in Generations they want you to actually mix and match your skills, and if Super Sonic was as broken as he's always been, everyone would always use him - and that's especially true when he's so easy to unlock in this game. In fact I was going to stick purely to perma-Super all the time but after giving it a try I'm willing to use the other 20+ skills in the game, and that's a good thing.

The ring drain also seems deliberate, not just to prevent spamming the ability, but also to consistently drop your score below a rank threshold - and that's perfectly fair to me because it's a lot easier to play so long as Super's active.

• Thumbs Up 4

Seems to be that in Generations they want you to actually mix and match your skills, and if Super Sonic was as broken as he's always been, everyone would always use him - and that's especially true when he's so easy to unlock in this game. In fact I was going to stick purely to perma-Super all the time but after giving it a try I'm willing to use the other 20+ skills in the game, and that's a good thing.

The ring drain also seems deliberate, not just to prevent spamming the ability, but also to consistently drop your score below a rank threshold - and that's perfectly fair to me because it's a lot easier to play so long as Super's active.

Probably this, but given that he's a freaking super form, it shouldn't be so damn inefficient. Maybe they could at least make him not drain rings so quickly (only 1 per second normally, and like 7 or 8 per second when boosting,) or maybe only cost like 50-60 points so you can at least have other abilities. But yeah, he's pretty much worthless, unless you're good enough to compensate, in which case he just looks cool. :P

• Thumbs Up 4

I couldn't have gotten the "Walk on Water" achievement in Chemical Plant without Super Sonic. I think the limitations are to prevent him from near destroying the challenge of the game like he usually does (right Sonic 4?) and to make the player have some strategy in using him.

I will agree that the double ring drain is stupid for classic though. He doesn't even do anything extra to warrant it. A lot of the other skills are pretty neat, if not excessively case specific. I'll probably try one or two for kicks, but I can see myself pretty much sticking to super. Playing these missions and getting the S ranks is actually making me good enough to compensate for the limitations.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is nearly no advantage to going Classic Super Sonic. You don't run faster, and you certainly don't jump higher unless you're in water...which you jump stupid high for some reason. You're just an invincible normal Sonic, and that's lame.

Modern Sonic's Super is broken to hell. He drains rings when you boost and doesn't allow you to play 3D portions of levels, as the game will automatically fly above the path you were taking and avoid EVERYTHING for you until you run out of rings. Well almost anything. This insta kills you in city escape's truck portion. He also jumps incredibly high only in water, but also gets stuck on some objects Sonic can interact with, such as the blocks in Chemical Plant that you push out of the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah he's awful in Generations. You might not have been able to use Wisps as Super Sonic in Colors but at least you could make it through a level as him without running out of rings after 30 seconds. Plus he doesn't come with awesome Super Sonic music. I can't believe how horrible he is.

Feels like a half assed last minute inclusion. Way to fuck it up Sonic Team!

There is nearly no advantage to going Classic Super Sonic. You don't run faster, and you certainly don't jump higher unless you're in water...which you jump stupid high for some reason. You're just an invincible normal Sonic, and that's lame.

Negative on both counts. You DEFINITELY jump higher as Classic, and the speed increase, while needlessly subtle, is also there. Really my biggest beef is that he takes up a whole skill set. I wouldn't mind stacking homing attack or the Thunder Shield on him.

Modern Sonic's Super is broken to hell. He drains rings when you boost and doesn't allow you to play 3D portions of levels, as the game will automatically fly above the path you were taking and avoid EVERYTHING for you until you run out of rings. Well almost anything. This insta kills you in city escape's truck portion. He also jumps incredibly high only in water, but also gets stuck on some objects Sonic can interact with, such as the blocks in Chemical Plant that you push out of the way.

You can play 3D parts just fine, you just can't mindlessly boost to win. Speaking of the boost, there are some parts where it DOESN'T murder your ring count. The Giant Enemy Fish section in GHZ is one, and incidentally, the GUN Truck chase in City Escape is another (I almost always troll the truck with Super Sonic). I will say that I've had a really strange occurrence, in that I lost rings as Super Sonic. I boosted straight into the underside of one of the wheels in Seaside Hill and the result wasn't very pretty.

Basically Super Sonic takes some skill to use this time around, which, considering the absurd lack of difficulty this game already has, was probably a necessary evil to prevent it from making the levels completely boring.

EDIT: On a random note, did anyone notice that Modern Super Sonic basically comes with the Trickster skill?

Edited by Aquaslash
  • Thumbs Up 2

Super Sonic is supposed to be god mode. If you got that wrong then you got Super Sonic wrong. Why in the hell would I want to play as Super Sonic if he makes things more annoying?

You can try to justify Sonic Teams horrible decisions when it comes to Super Sonic in this game all you want, but nothing you say can make me think that Super Sonic is anything more then a gigantic failure in this game.

P.S. He sucks.

• Thumbs Up 3

For the people who has the pc version they could always go and download a trainer(dunno what it means) but basically gives you unlimited things or invincible etc and yup when I tried on modern, well yeah... It's kinda pointless unless you're playing classic. Do agree they should make SS drain rings slower and have the boost drain separate like normal... Plus no super music made me even more disappointed.

I firmly believe that Super Sonic is unfinished. That Sonic 4 theme barely loops during the final fight but the music file we have for it loops over and over and over. It was blatantly meant to be used in the levels. I really hope they release a patch for Super Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait... you guys WANT Super Sonic music? Goddamn it's the one thing I can't stand about him. Drives me crazy. Ideally it would be amazing to have the music remix or add an extra instrument when you're Super Sonic, but I'd take no change over a song that loops every 15 seconds any day.

• Thumbs Up 7