Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

One thing I have noticed though, and it seems to be just me, is that cpkredir (V3) doesn't close properly. V2 didn't either. After I exit Generations to the desktop, the command console gets stuck. I believe it has something to do with the ToC. Oddly enough, even though I can close the console window via the task manager, I can't seem to even end the process of Sonic Generations (which seems to be running in the background, but not on the task bar) and I have to restart my computer.

I just checked and "sonicgenerations.exe" process is NOT RUNNING. After I close the game, CPKREDIR closes too, like immediately.

It's the tutorial stage. You can't even fall off to the sea (except for one area)

Check out sonictheplumber's video on youtube.

Windmill Isle was fantastic! It was probably the smoothest the game's played for me when it's not in the tiny White Space area after the first cutscene, where it played at a solid 60fps. Even the remotely unbusy first part of Classic Green Hill provides multiple FPS drops, so this was a really great experience. Only bugs I experienced seem to all be highlighted at here and Retro in both posts and videos, so I don't have anything outstanding to report...

... except maybe a minor detail I haven't seen mentioned; the quality of the font used for the level loading. Mod vs Original; the Mod affected the Sky Sanctuary one as well, but that's the only other one I tried. Not like it's that much of a bother anyway! So happy to be getting a taste of Unleashed HD... and as Classic on a skateboard, no less. Up until those damn upward springs. Still hate how those launch you backwards on that skateboard, wish somebody fixed that already. bluh bluh bluh

One thing I have noticed though, and it seems to be just me, is that cpkredir (V3) doesn't close properly. V2 didn't either. After I exit Generations to the desktop, the command console gets stuck. I believe it has something to do with the ToC. Oddly enough, even though I can close the console window via the task manager, I can't seem to even end the process of Sonic Generations (which seems to be running in the background, but not on the task bar) and I have to restart my computer.

Thanks for writing that tutorial.

CPKREDIR is just a DLL. It doesn't open or close by itself, it gets loaded or unloaded by SonicGenerations.exe. If on your system the game hangs on exit for some reason, then the console window will of course stay there. Try disabling the console (cpkredir.ini setting LogType=0) or even CPKREDIR entirely (ini setting Enabled=0) and see if SonicGenerations.exe still gets stuck.

Edit: Dario mentioned that his Windmill Isle release is pushing some memory limits of Sonic Generations. That might explain why some people experience crashes and other weird behavior after playing the stage. You could try another mod, such as Wave Ocean, to find out whether it is CPKREDIR that is unstable for you, or Windmill Isle.

Edited by Korama

I'm pretty sure it's not (at least by the average player) possible to get to those areas seen in that video. I get what you're saying, but I don't see why they would make it possible to move around somewhere that takes "breaking the game" to get to in the first place. (Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that "drift and launch into the air" trick is a Generations thing, not Unleashed, but I might be wrong about that...?)

It's hardly breaking the game at all. It's utilising momentum as best you can. Infact, you can still reach those invisible walls by the loop in Unleashed:

Breaking the game in my opinion would involve phasing through something and exploiting holes in the design. This is just launching yourself off a ramp.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for writing that tutorial.

CPKREDIR is just a DLL. It doesn't open or close by itself, it gets loaded or unloaded by SonicGenerations.exe. If on your system the game hangs on exit for some reason, then the console window will of course stay there. Try disabling the console (cpkredir.ini setting LogType=0) or even CPKREDIR entirely (ini setting Enabled=0) and see if SonicGenerations.exe still gets stuck.

Edit: Dario mentioned that his Windmill Isle release is pushing some memory limits of Sonic Generations. That might explain why some people experience crashes and other weird behavior after playing the stage. You could try another mod, such as Wave Ocean, to find out whether it is CPKREDIR that is unstable for you, or Windmill Isle.

Thanks for your suggestions. I found out what was causing it. The crash seemed to happen when I was exiting the game Disabling cpkredir via in .ini file didn't work, but restoring cpkredir.dll to imagehlp.dll seemed to fix the problem. There doesn't seem to be a problem with either the Wave Ocean or Windmill Isle mods for me and I didn't experience any crashes within either of those stages.

Kind of odd that it just seems to be me though experiencing it. Maybe some of my backups are causing havoc(k!) because they're in the main Generations folder--not the Disk folder though. But anyway, seems the game doesn't like me editing the exe (either manually or via your installer.) Or is it possible that when unloading the game, it looks for imagehlp.dll and can't find it, so it crashes and hangs? Again, many thanks for your help.

Edited by Losphel

Can't help you much there, that's just a bug with the game, since Sega doesn't move Sonic properly with Havok routines, but just forces his rigid body to different positions. Physics engines don't like that, so the simulations go nuts sometimes.

You might've noticed that in Generations, there's not that much movable objects for a reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's not fixable AFAIK, it's just a bug with the game. So don't be asses or I will just take out the weight and you won't be able to move them, Sega-style. (You might've noticed they took out the weight of the breakable objects in Rooftop Run for Generations when they're not broken)

Dario, you may have had this before but...

When I head directly right at the start of the stage, Generations crashes.

Yeah, it's been happening since the instancing update. I've optimized the vertex format for about 25% memory usage now, but the problem's still there. I'm gonna look into it.

Hey Lobotomy, Thought about helping Dude with his Adventure Generations project? You seem to be good at making clean sets of textures.

It's not fixable AFAIK, it's just a bug with the game. So don't be asses or I will just take out the weight and you won't be able to move them, Sega-style. (You might've noticed they took out the weight of the breakable objects in Rooftop Run for Generations when they're not broken)

Edited by Dere

About those Wall Jumping Panels - they say that they are bugged because PC version runs at 60 fps while console versions run at 30 fps. Well, I've limited the game to 30 fps and yet wall jumping is still "sticky" and Sonic still lands upside down from the incline after the helicopter ride in Speed Highway. So the reason must be in something else.

Edited by Nik1895

Ok guys, I really hate doing this, but I've been ripping my hair out for about 8 hours now trying to get cpkredir working. The problem is that I made the Shadow Model replaser into a cpkredir compatible mod, but when I direct it to there, it break all of the other mods and the game just plays vanilla no matter how many mods I have. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the .ini files I think.

here are a bunch of screenshots of the .ini files and a few of the folder structure.

ModDB.ini

YOZvW.png

Mod.ini for the Shadow Model (INI made by me)

PuTBw.png

INI for the Project Unleshed Demo

gJ0mo.png

BB3 folder structure for the Shadow Model

Ts27b.png

Any help at all would be appreciative.

Also, as a note, I crammed all the files into the Unleshed Demo folder and jsut used the one included INI and they all worked fine. I really want to learn you to have multiple mods running in separate folders though so I can easily turn them on of off.

About those Wall Jumping Panels - they say that they are bugged because PC version runs at 60 fps while console versions run at 30 fps. Well, I've limited the game to 30 fps and yet wall jumping is still "sticky" and Sonic still lands upside down from the incline after the helicopter ride in Speed Highway. So the reason must be in something else.

The reason is Devil's Details fucked it up by changing one value when porting Generations. I fixed it in my mod with relative ease.

A Time Eater mod would be badass. It would also make the Time Break skill a bit less illogical.

Ok guys, I really hate doing this, but I've been ripping my hair out for about 8 hours now trying to get cpkredir working. The problem is that I made the Shadow Model replaser into a cpkredir compatible mod, but when I direct it to there, it break all of the other mods and the game just plays vanilla no matter how many mods I have. I've narrowed it down to a problem with the .ini files I think.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble.

First, in some of your ini files you're using forward slashes instead of backslashes. You must fix that. In Windows, backslashes are the path delimiter.

Second, mods that were/are distributed as CPK files, such as the Shadow mod by Megamaniscrazy, naturally contain not only the modified data files, but all other unmodified files as well. Otherwise, the modded CPK would be incomplete and the game wouldn't run with it.

So, if you just extract a modded CPK for use with CPKREDIR, the unmodified files can potentially override and nullify other mods.

The solution: delete all files from the extracted CPK that have not been modified. It's easy to do if you have some experience and a duplicate file finder app in your toolkit. But for the average user, it might be a problem. I've been thinking about writing a program that does the conversion between CPK mod and extracted mod automatically for that reason.

Anyway, assuming we have the same version of the Shadow mod, here's a list of its modified files. Delete ALL files of your extraction except for these:

bb\SonicActionCommon.ar.00

bb\SonicActionCommon.arl

bb\SonicActionCommonHud.ar.00

bb\SonicActionCommonHud.arl

bb3\Sonic.ar.00

bb3\Sonic.ar.01

bb3\Sonic.arl

bb3\SonicActionCommon.ar.00

bb3\SonicActionCommonHud.ar.00

bb3\SonicBoard.ar.00

bb3\SonicBsd.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassic.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassic.ar.01

bb3\SonicClassic.arl

bb3\SonicClassicBde.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicCpz.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicEuc.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicMission.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicPam.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicPla.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicRankA.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicRankB.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicRankC.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicRankD.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicRankS.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicSph.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicSsh.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicSsz.ar.00

bb3\SonicClassicWater.ar.00

bb3\SonicRankA.ar.00

bb3\SonicRankB.ar.00

bb3\SonicRankC.ar.00

bb3\SonicRankD.ar.00

bb3\SonicRankS.ar.00

bb3\SonicSp.ar.00

bb3\SonicSp.ar.01

bb3\SonicSp.arl

bb3\voices\English\SonicVoice.ar.00

Edited by Korama

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble.

First, in some of your ini files you're using forward slashes instead of backslashes. You must fix that. In Windows, backslashes are the path delimiter.

Second, mods that were/are distributed as CPK files, such as the Shadow mod by Megamaniscrazy, naturally contain not only the modified data files, but all other unmodified files as well. Otherwise, the modded CPK would be incomplete and the game wouldn't run with it.

So, if you just extract a modded CPK for use with CPKREDIR, the unmodified files can potentially override and nullify other mods.

The solution: delete all files from the extracted CPK that have not been modified. It's easy to do if you have some experience and a duplicate file finder app in your toolkit. But for the average user, it might be a problem. I've been thinking about writing a program that does the conversion between CPK mod and extracted mod automatically for that reason.

Anyway, assuming we have the same version of the Shadow mod, here's a list of its modified files. Delete ALL files of your extraction except for these: