Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

I'm warning everyone, if I work this out and I see someone putting a fancharacter I'll never, ever, forgive you.

Thankfully I've already stopped coming up with "those types" of fancharacters long before this game came out.

I'll just be glad to have skeleton-repositioning + re-rigging + model/vertex editing + full model importing as options (Just like Super Smash Bros Brawl modding.)

It'll really help improve the character hacks I've worked on, including a properly scaled Classic Super Sonic (without re-animating,) properly shaped quills for Super Silver, and an easier way to make other models replace the Super Sonic skill.

P.S. - Since you're working on model imports, I have a question for you. I'm not too sure if you've gotten that far, but do you know exactly how the game's materials work? Specifically, ones that apply a color over the texture regardless of what color the texture is, such as Silver's lights and Sonic's spinball aura.

Look at this picture for example:

OMGSPINES.png

Notice how his lights on his hands and wristguards/ankleguards look whitish-blue? The texture is supposed to be yellow, but the material/shader makes it look blue...

Unless I can figure this out myself based on what I know from Brawl's models (look at my avatar pic. That tornado is forcibly made yellow/brown colored regardless of textures. I changed via some color values in the material,) then any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Unless I can figure this out myself based on what I know from Brawl's models (look at my avatar pic. That tornado is forcibly made yellow/brown colored regardless of textures. I changed via some color values in the material,) then any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

I would tell you to use the material editor included in the latest version of SonicGLvl, but alas, it turns out the Save material file button on it does nothing at the moment. : P So when the next version is out you should be able to edit materials just fine, although the number of shaders it supports it depends on how many materials it reads, since it auto-learns them and adds them to its own database in an XML.

Edited by Dario ff

I would tell you to use the material editor included in the latest version of SonicGLvl, but alas, it turns out the Save material file button on it does nothing at the moment. : P So when the next version is out you should be able to edit materials just fine, although the number of shaders it supports it depends on how many materials it reads, since it auto-learns them and adds them to its own database in an XML.

I hadn't used SonicGLvl much yet. And technically, all I wanted to do is make the texture force stuff into different colors instead of just blue (without changing the number of them.)

I looked at Silver's light material, most of the shader values were the same as the default ones, besides specular having all 1's instead of all 0.9's, and one extra parameter (mrgChrEmissionParam.) I compared the values I saw on the program with that parameter's section in HxD, and found the exact values I saw in the program (though in float format.) So, I tried swapping the red value and the blue value in HxD, did no other changes to the texture or material, and got this as the result...

http://i938.photobuc...ack/Success.png

Turns out the RGBA values within that extra parameter was the cause of the problem. Red was set to 0, Green was set to 1, and Blue was set to 0.9 in the original material, which explains why yellow textures turned bluish-white. Until the update, using HxD to edit the stuff I find in SonicGLvl won't be too big of a deal for me.

Edit - I found out some neat stuff by messing around with the materials. I even found ways to further abuse the "material glitch" that made Hyper Sonic's color changing possible. It turns out that the odd color changing is caused when ANY material tries to bring up a texture that isn't present.

If I were to change my Hyper Sonic hack to look like this, would you guys consider it better than how it looked before? I essentially gave him non-glitch white/gray colored fur, but kept the material glitch active for his displacement map (AKA I had the game load a non-existent texture for it, but at the same time made it load existing textures for the diffuse and specular maps.) Thus, his colors still change, but its now a lot more subtle.

51356672.png

(This second link is an animated GIF of the above. Too large in file-size to directly embed. However, it gets the point across a bit better.)

http://img217.images...79/image1rr.gif

Edited by JoeTE

Huh... Note to self: Buy PC version of Sonic Generation for modding purposes.

Some really great stuff here, just that Wave Ocean mod Melpontro did alone is enough for me to get all excited about buying a game I already own.

I'm warning everyone, if I work this out and I see someone putting a fancharacter I'll never, ever, forgive you.

You know us or Retro would never do that, but you can't stop the youtubers!

I'd recommend watching this at 720p (and in full-screen.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95jBG3Yd4Lg

Expanding on from the edits I made to my last post, here's a video of the different Hyper Sonic. Again, I did some further abuse of the material glitch to get this effect (Also, I pause the game at one point in the video. It's to show off that it IS a glitch, because not even pausing stops the color changing.)

Do you guys think this would be better than the previous appearance, or worse? And if you like it, do you think the fur color is fine, or should I make the fur brighter or darker? (Note that making it brighter will make the color changes less noticable, while making it darker makes the colors more noticable in addition to the fur looking TOO dark.)

Also, here's a video of the old Hyper Sonic for comparison purposes. Also serves as a companion video/trailer for the latest release of my Super Sonic mods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SXtv-LIK4A

Not sure if the weights are 100% correct yet, gonna look into it in a bit. But yay! :)

• Thumbs Up 4

That's great! biggrin.png

If you have problems, you can get a mod already released, import and edit it. It might be easier to work with, well, if you do not want make your mod from scratch.

Well depends on which mod ur talking about, i got a couple, pretty basic ones almost only with model swaps. But if u know of a more complete one ya i guess i could have a look at it and ofc give credit to its maker if i use it.

Do you guys think this would be better than the previous appearance, or worse? And if you like it, do you think the fur color is fine, or should I make the fur brighter or darker? (Note that making it brighter will make the color changes less noticable, while making it darker makes the colors more noticable in addition to the fur looking TOO dark.)

I like more this new version, since it doesnt look so glitchy, the color changing is much more smooth and chest/arms/mouth dont seem to change colors as it should. Although the colors are very subtile compared to the previous version.

Btw have you been able to swap title menu models successfully to other characters?

Edited by Johnny Carnage

Do you think you could re-add the aura around sonic while he is BOOOOOOOOOSH'n? And kill Griffith? I swear I started to lose my mind with all of the WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Hahaha, me too. But it's not Griffith's fault that this mod overuses that line to the point of annoyance.

Edited by Dere

I like more this new version, since it doesnt look so glitchy, the color changing is much more smooth and chest/arms/mouth dont seem to change colors as it should. Although the colors are very subtile compared to the previous version.

Btw have you been able to swap title menu models successfully to other characters?

The chest/arms/mouth/nose still change color, it's just a LOT less noticeable on them than it is on the fur.

Also, I haven't been able to swap any models onto the title screen. Game crashes and all.

[media=]

Not sure if the weights are 100% correct yet, gonna look into it in a bit. But yay! smile.png

I seriously cannot wait for this. I already did some work on a few models, and got them into the .mesh format. Now they're just sitting there waiting to be imported. XD

I seriously cannot wait for this. I already did some work on a few models, and got them into the .mesh format. Now they're just sitting there waiting to be imported. XD

About that, some really important notes:

- Your Model in max should be a single node, so that means just a mesh. If you want to add more meshes to it, use Mesh Attach and multi-materials. It's for keeping consistency on how the game works with models.

- The converter doesn't give a crap about any scaling or rotating you do to your node, since it just reads the .mesh file. So if you're gonna make the Havok Skeleton(the regular T-Pose), you should do it absolutely unmodified and in the original size of the model, even if it doesn't match the ingame size it should have. This is important because the skeleton should be similar to the .model one, and in the Havok file as well.

- If you want to correct any size/rotation issues, do it to the root bone when animating. This will let you achieve most of the results I got here.

Ideally you would model your own mesh on the size the game needs it originally, but alas, I know everyone's just gonna try to download and rip models from other sources, so I'm giving you this warning beforehand.

The .mesh to .model converter should be in the next SonicGLvl update. I just wanted to work on the GIA Merger/Downsampler stuff before if I manage it, but we'll see.

About that, some really important notes:

- Your Model in max should be a single node, so that means just a mesh. If you want to add more meshes to it, use Mesh Attach and multi-materials. It's for keeping consistency on how the game works with models.

- The converter doesn't give a crap about any scaling or rotating you do to your node, since it just reads the .mesh file. So if you're gonna make the Havok Skeleton(the regular T-Pose), you should do it absolutely unmodified and in the original size of the model, even if it doesn't match the ingame size it should have. This is important because the skeleton should be similar to the .model one, and in the Havok file as well.

- If you want to correct any size/rotation issues, do it to the root bone when animating. This will let you achieve most of the results I got here.

Ideally you would model your own mesh on the size the game needs it originally, but alas, I know everyone's just gonna try to download and rip models from other sources, so I'm giving you this warning beforehand.

The .mesh to .model converter should be in the next SonicGLvl update. I just wanted to work on the GIA Merger/Downsampler stuff before if I manage it, but we'll see.

Darn. Now I want to find a way to combine meshes without losing rigging (darn Generations models being split into numerous parts.) Otherwise, I shouldn't have any problems since I was working on edits to models that were already in the game.

[media=]

Not sure if the weights are 100% correct yet, gonna look into it in a bit. But yay! smile.png

I get the feeling Mario is going to lose A LOT of weight by the time he reaches the end of the stage. biggrin.png

HEY! I GOT 404ed in my posts!

Edited by Enigmatus
  • Thumbs Up 6

Darn. Now I want to find a way to combine meshes without losing rigging (darn Generations models being split into numerous parts.) Otherwise, I shouldn't have any problems since I was working on edits to models that were already in the game.

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the reason why I haven't tried modifying Sonic's model yet. The script needs to be consistent with how the game treats meshes, but sadly it isn't... yet. Perhaps it'll get updated soon.

About the Windmill Isle mod, at some parts near the beginning of the bridge, the water is messing up.

Yeah, I'm afraid that's the reason why I haven't tried modifying Sonic's model yet. The script needs to be consistent with how the game treats meshes, but sadly it isn't... yet. Perhaps it'll get updated soon.

Not too much of a problem anymore, thanks to the Skin Utilities options built into 3DS Max. Now, instead of having to do the whole rig over after combining the objects, I can just port the original rig over on an object-by-object basis. However, some objects don't always port their skin over correctly, mostly ones that are very close to eachother. However, I have a workaround for that too. Regardless, I still cannot wait for that update. :D

Anyway, I've been trying to get the models I had to work. One of them (to be used over Classic Sonic) crashes the game as soon as Classic Sonic is loaded, and the other (to be used over an NPC) doesn't crash, but looks like a jumbled mess in-game. Both models are intended to work with the same structure/skeletons of models that are already in the game.

Crashes can be due to either missing materials or missing bones. As I said before, make sure that your max scene has no scaling applied to the model or the skeleton, and that they match well. Also that the skin modifier adds all the bones it uses. If you have any doubts, send me the .max file so I can double check, but as long as the .mesh is fine, it should work well.

While I know of the exact Havok settings to use, are there any specific settings I need to have enabled or disabled when using Easy Ogre Exporter besides setting it to Ogre version 1.7? And can I still load my 3DSMax 2010 .max scenes in 3DSMax 2011?

No special settings other than the scene transformation if you're using the UP Z Axis. Notice your meshes should also be modelled around the UP Z Axis in Max, since the ogre exporter will correct that and transform it to the UP Y Axis so it works in the game.

P.S. - I noticed one person of Retro mentioned the program crashing. I'm having a similar problem, in that if I create a .model from a .mesh, trying to load a second .mesh to convert will crash the program. Otherwise, everything I've tried works fine.

I think I already know why. Are the .mesh files named the same way?

New SonicGLvl update is out.

http://forums.sonicr...ndpost&p=689060

Includes .model importing support, collada exporter for terrain, some partial support for GIA.

The fancharacter warning still remains.

Thanks for releasing this m8 biggrin.png Gonna try this out later.

Though what do u mean with the fancharacter thing? O.o

Edited by Johnny Carnage

Thanks for releasing this m8 biggrin.png Gonna try this out later.

Though what do u mean with the fancharacter thing? O.o

Really, what's the deal with that kind of people?

What's so funny in recolors or fancharacters? To me, NOTHING!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Really, what's the deal with that kind of people?

What's so funny in recolors or fancharacters? To me, NOTHING!!!

Edited by The True BlackHawk