Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

I agree. I just would like to use Classic Sonic because he's so much cuter.

I saw someone trying to replace the model somewhere but he was having a few issues.

That was me, still having problems btw. I don't know how to resize his model, though I can resize the muzzle bone, I suppose.

Also, I hear of some "Havok Exporter". Do I need to download that to export my animations?

That was me, still having problems btw. I don't know how to resize his model, though I can resize the muzzle bone, I suppose.

Also, I hear of some "Havok Exporter". Do I need to download that to export my animations?

Yep u do, its for free and official from Havok so ull be able to get the tools/exporter from them easy. U'll need to use some specific configurations to export though, they were mentioned in a previous post here already so ull do fine if u follow ^^

Spent some time today myself fixing animations for my Tails mod, n im amazed how cool "helicopter" boost (like in classic games) looks in this game :D

You're right, he's pretty cute... and THAT'S the problem with him. Even before the Sonic Adventure redesigns, Sonic was supposed to be a cool character with an attitude, not a cute and annoying brat who looks like he was created to attract girls and little kids to the franchise - especially considering that's what Tails exists for. Classic Sonic should have looked LIKE THIS in Generations.

Why can't Sonic be equally both?

And to be honest the "Attitude" thing was a lot more hyped in the U.S in comparison to Japan. Sonic didn't always have that "Blue dude with a 'tude" thing going on. He was supposed to be a cute and cool character I think.

Besides, both of his boss battles made him look badass.

• Thumbs Up 2

You're right, he's pretty cute... and THAT'S the problem with him. Even before the Sonic Adventure redesigns, Sonic was supposed to be a cool character with an attitude, not a cute and annoying brat who looks like he was created to attract girls and little kids to the franchise - especially considering that's what Tails exists for. Classic Sonic should have looked LIKE THIS in Generations.

http://resource.mmgn...-Hedgehog-1.jpg

still pretty cute.

I thought he looked just right in Generations tbh.

The only major difference I see with your image is the frown over a smile, lol.

But this is going off of the actual Sonic images from back then and not his sprites. I understand he was far less cutesy during actual gameplay.

Also, you say that like Sonic bringing in both a female and youthful audience is a bad thing. :\

I've always seen Sonic as a cute character and the games to be cute. I wouldn't be playing them otherwise.

They're so colorful and pretty. biggrin.png

But as Xenons pointed out, I've also always seen Sonic as "cool" as well.

I see no reason cute and cool can't both apply.

Oh. Hopefully a fix can be resolved eventually. :]

I'd be all for helping out and as much as I've done with game modding in the past, Generations is an unexplored world for me D:

Edited by Emcitement

Why can't Sonic be equally both?

Because they're contradictory kind of attributes? You can't have an attitude and be all cutesy at the same time.

And to be honest the "Attitude" thing was a lot more hyped in the U.S in comparison to Japan. Sonic didn't always have that "Blue dude with a 'tude" thing going on. He was supposed to be a cute and cool character I think.

You couldn't be more mistaken. Early in the development, Sonic was a more "hardcore" character who had a hot human girlfriend and a less cute design, and was only toned down in order to make him more appealing in America. More info here.

Granted, I'm glad that they didn't go that early route. But he was never portrayed as a cute brat in the old games, cartoons, or comics; Japanese or American.

http://resource.mmgn...-Hedgehog-1.jpg

still pretty cute.

I thought he looked just right in Generations tbh.

The only major difference I see with your image is the frown over a smile, lol.

But this is going off of the actual Sonic images from back then and not his sprites. I understand he was far less cutesy during actual gameplay.

You're right about him not really being that cute in the games. In the classic games, he never rode a fucking skateboard, wasn't constantly making that cute face during gameplay (in fact, he had a permanent frown in-game), and didn't perform that excessive and over-enthusiastic victory celebration from Generations after beating a stage. And in the OVAs (which were produced by Sega), his personality was totally different from Classic Sonic's. He didn't act like a overenthusiastic brat; he had a more mature and serious personality. The same goes for Sonic CD's FMV movies: he wasn't constantly smiling nor acting like a kid in them, either.

Ergo, Classic Sonic isn't an accurate depiction of what Sonic was like during the franchise's early years at all and that's why I dislike him.

Also, you say that like Sonic bringing in both a female and youthful audience is a bad thing. :\

Aren't Tails and Cream enough?

Its an exact 3D remake of Classic SS.

9fxtw2.png

Actually, his eyes were originally supposed to be black (same for Hyper Sonic). It was the result of a programming bug that caused them to look green in some sprites. You can see him with black eyes in some sprites, as seen here:

supersonic.PNG

Same with Hyper, as seen in the link (the image is like super huge because it features ALL of the palette colors that Hyper Sonic uses, so I'm only going to post a link to it):

http://www.spriters-...snk/sheet/10514

EDIT: Additionally, Super Sonic in Sonic 2, Sonic The Fighters, Sonic R, etc. also featured a black-eyed Super Sonic.

Edited by Top Cat

Actually, his eyes were originally supposed to be black (same for Hyper Sonic). It was the result of a programming bug that caused them to look green in some sprites. You can see him with black eyes in some sprites, as seen here:

supersonic.PNG

Same with Hyper here (the image is like super huge so I'm only going to post a link to it:

EDIT: Additionally, Super Sonic in Sonic 2, Sonic The Fighters, Sonic R, etc. also featured a black-eyed Super Sonic.

Who said that? I find it hard to believe.

I agree about that the Classic Super Sonic mod should give him black eyes though, as the green eyes were only used in S3&K. Heck, why not just use Generations' classic SS model?

supersonic.PNG

Same with Hyper, as seen in the link (the image is like super huge because it features ALL of the palette colors that Hyper Sonic uses, so I'm only going to post a link to it):

Ah, my bad. I didn't know it was a programming error.

Does it really matter? please don't start a "BAAAWWW GREEN EYES!!!" debate here.

Does it really matter? please don't start a "BAAAWWW GREEN EYES!!!" debate here.

Nobody was going to.

• Thumbs Up 3

I still think that even SS should have green eyes that Hyper Sonic should green eyes. :P Also, about the Classic cute & cool thing, the majority of his American art tried so hard to make him look badass, even if it was retarded. I still think all the Japanese art makes him look cool though.

Actually, his eyes were originally supposed to be black (same for Hyper Sonic). It was the result of a programming bug that caused them to look green in some sprites. You can see him with black eyes in some sprites

Same with Hyper

Wall-of-text-rant-time!

Sonic 3&Knuckles was the only reason I included the Green Eyes. I was going for a full Sonic 3 and Knuckles theme, since I had already incorporated Hyper Sonic for his skill/final boss form and consistently use the Thunder Shield alongside it in my playthroughs.

Still, I sorta doubt that the green eyes were a programming error since that green color is a part of Sonic's palette, even in his normal form. That green does not show up anywhere else on Sonic's sprite, glitch or not. In fact, most of the black-eyed Super Sonic sprites there are just straight recolors of the normal Sonic ones. Hyper Sonic's sprites are just direct copies of the Super Sonic sprites, but with the whole rotating palette gimmick.

However, I know for a fact that they had some errors with his head placement as a whole (Notice how the upper portion of his mouth seems to have slid away from his face?). I also know that the Green Eyes were solely meant for Sonic 3 and Knuckles (As a reference to Super Saiyans, which the form was inspired by.) That's why Classic Super Sonic's Generations model has Black eyes.

P.S. - In Sonic 2, Super Sonic had more mass in his chest and arms, making him look more muscular.

Sonic the Fighters and Sonic R were made at a point where Sega finally settled on how they wanted Classic Super Sonic to look. The Classic Super Sonic model looks eerily similar to the design he had in those games.

TL;DR - A long rant where I justify my stylistic choice for a yellow hedgehog's eye color. XD

Heck, why not just use Generations' classic SS model?

Classic Super Sonic's model is smaller than Classic Sonic's model. The game just upscales the model when you use the Super form, but not when you have it replace the original model.

Others have already done that, but seeing him look way too small is very distracting, especially when you activate the Super Sonic skill and see him magically look bigger without looking different.

However...

ModelImport2.png

I still have some weight/rig/skin issues to sort out with his quills, hands, feet, and mouth, but I've done a model import of a properly scaled Classic Super Sonic. I'm even utilizing the whole "swap the model but not the skeleton since the quills are the only difference" trick I did with the Modern models.

It's starting to sound like the "Modern Sonic" complaints from Sonic 4: Episode 1 all over again. XD

The green eyes were not a glitch, like Joe said they were intended all along as a Super Sayan transformation. And imo classic sonic in generations looks too "baby-like" even younger than from the first game. As for the transformations i think they are off, the quills are too blunt, they should be longer and thiner/sharper like in the classic games, like something that would actually cut clean and provide higher aerodynamics, and i say this for both classic and modern versions, i cant get that "powerfull" feeling like i do on classic games.

Btw Joe is that what ur modding? Changing sonic/super sonic to look like the one from S3&K?

Couldnt see well with the screenshot.

The green eyes were not a glitch, like Joe said they were intended all along as a Super Sayan transformation. And imo classic sonic in generations looks too "baby-like" even younger than from the first game. As for the transformations i think they are off, the quills are too blunt, they should be longer and thiner/sharper like in the classic games, like something that would actually cut clean and provide higher aerodynamics, and i say this for both classic and modern versions, i cant get that "powerfull" feeling like i do on classic games.

Btw Joe is that what ur modding? Changing sonic/super sonic to look like the one from S3&K?

Couldnt see well with the screenshot.

Super Saiyan reference/tribute. The form is solely meant to RESEMBLE one, not actually being the same thing. (I'm a fan of both Sonic and Dragon Ball, BTW)

What I'm doing is trying to make Classic Sonic use the Classic Super Sonic model, just like how I have Modern Sonic using the Modern Super Sonic model. The Classic Super Sonic model is too small compared to the normal Classic Sonic model.

I'm attempting to use the new model importing feature of SonicGlvl to make the model properly sized. However, it still had some problems which would not fix themselves no matter how much I fixed the bone influences, so I had to remove a few of them to get this...

ModelImport3.png

However, the only way I could get everything to look right was by shrinking and hiding the eyelids, removing all influence of his toe bones on he shoes, and making the quills, ears, eyebrows, and side-view-mouths completely static (as in, all of them have the same appearance at all times.)

Oh, I also gave him Modern Sonic's eye textures so that his eyes aren't a solid green.

So now, I just have to try making his mouth(s) have a more neutral expression (instead of a smile), and I have to make the running (aka flying) animations.

Super Saiyan reference/tribute. The form is solely meant to RESEMBLE one, not actually being the same thing. (I'm a fan of both Sonic and Dragon Ball, BTW)

Yes thats what i meant, to look like one, not actually be a super sayan, im also a dbz fan ^^

What I'm doing is trying to make Classic Sonic use the Classic Super Sonic model, just like how I have Modern Sonic using the Modern Super Sonic model. The Classic Super Sonic model is too small compared to the normal Classic Sonic model.

I'm attempting to use the new model importing feature of SonicGlvl to make the model properly sized. However, it still had some problems which would not fix themselves no matter how much I fixed the bone influences, so I had to remove a few of them to get this...

However, the only way I could get everything to look right was by shrinking and hiding the eyelids, removing all influence of his toe bones on he shoes, and making the quills, ears, eyebrows, and side-view-mouths completely static (as in, all of them have the same appearance at all times.)

Are u using envelopes or weighting by vertices? I guess one way to fix those issues would be by checking the weight table to see which verts are getting bone weights where they shouldnt, dunno if u tried that already.

Hm, Classic Super Sonic's eyes look much better now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes thats what i meant, to look like one, not actually be a super sayan, im also a dbz fan ^^

Are u using envelopes or weighting by vertices? I guess one way to fix those issues would be by checking the weight table to see which verts are getting bone weights where they shouldnt, dunno if u tried that already.

Vertices, partly because I have no idea how the envelopes work.

The problem was that even if I set certain weights to work correctly in the program, the game still somehow alters the weights when I import it in, which was why I absolutely had to make some stuff static (Which I did by making certain bones have no influence on any of the vertices.)

The biggest offenders were the back portions of the spines and the toes (which moves too much), the eyelids (Which wouldn't keep themselves in the right spot at times), and the most noticeable one was the mouth (Glitchy stretching all around. Think of those Team Fortress 2 machinima videos where the character models glitch out a lot, and that's what his lips and jaw looked like.)

However, the toe bones don't matter too much, the lack of blinking is barely noticeable most of the time, and the quills still look good without movement. I just need to find a way to fully fix the mouth weights in-game.

Otherwise, I've also just finished porting in the running (aka flying) animation, so now I have to possibly fix the mouth rigging, and Classic Super Sonic will be mostly perfect. Then I'll get to work on fixing both Hyper Sonics.

Edited by JoeTE

Anyone know if it's possible to make it so you have an unlimited/ large supply of skateboards from the 'board master' skill?

It's a neat skill but nearly everything makes you lose the board and you only get one.

Edited by Emcitement

Anyone know if it's possible to make it so you have an unlimited/ large supply of skateboards from the 'board master' skill?

It's a neat skill but nearly everything makes you lose the board and you only get one.

You extract #sonicclassic.ar.00 from bb3.cpk. Then open it with Generations Archive Editor by MainMemory on Sonic Retro. Extract SonicClassic.prm.xml and open it with XML Notepad (free download from Microsoft) and find General/Skill/Board or something like that and change its value to 999.

You extract #sonicclassic.ar.00 from bb3.cpk. Then open it with Generations Archive Editor by MainMemory on Sonic Retro. Extract SonicClassic.prm.xml and open it with XML Notepad (free download from Microsoft) and find General/Skill/Board or something like that and change its value to 999.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.

Worked perfectly biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Do you know how I could change it so it only takes 0/10 points to equip the skill?

I looked through the same file for something relating to it but didn't see anything.

Edited by Emcitement

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it.

Worked perfectly biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Do you know how I could change it so it only takes 0/10 points to equip the skill?

I looked through the same file for something relating to it but didn't see anything.

Just use a trainer to add whatever skills you like.

EDIT: Or use Cheat Engine.

Edited by The True BlackHawk

Sonic's in the spotlight!

http://cloud.steampo...DCFB3F1B31917E/

Hm, looking at this, I can't help but feel that the White Space would've been so much better if it was 3D. Not to say that it's bad as is, but it ain't exactly the best hub world the series has had.

Here's the download to the 3D White Space mod that I just showed. You have to go on the jump board that's on the Green Hill mission area to switch. What's interesting about this is that Classic Sonic's spindash is somewhat correct! You can spindash in both directions in 3D perfectly.

http://www.mediafire...i2eeqmq3kkf7fmv

This is set up for the CPKRedir mod.

Edited by Sky The Destroyer