Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

Actualy The true blackhawk, what lobotomy is saying is that the amount of data that is lost during importation to max(certain uvs, other small things) make it impossible to make it straight from the file without a massive amount of work being required to recreate a large portion of the required data, whereas with custom stages everything is being made on the spot and all the data that is required should already be there. hope that clarifies things a bit.

also still need to get the importer working, though I have already made most of the silver sonic 2 forearm, and the knee

Actualy The true blackhawk, what lobotomy is saying is that the amount of data that is lost during importation to max(certain uvs, other small things) make it impossible to make it straight from the file without a massive amount of work being required to recreate a large portion of the required data, whereas with custom stages everything is being made on the spot and all the data that is required should already be there. hope that clarifies things a bit.

Very much so, thank you.

also still need to get the importer working, though I have already made most of the silver sonic 2 forearm, and the knee

I understand

in this case the best would be a good tutorial + the default settings to use

Edited by eltoto2012

well good news I have the importer working. I have modern sonic in max and I am now assigning my PSD files to him for now so that I can easily see what my textures do while I develop them. also trying to see if I can remove pieces of the mesh without having to rerig it, but sadly I see lots of rerigging in my future. may have some new pics up this afternoon, hopefully with a decent part of the texture done(I plan to use the files for cloth for the new pieces as I plan to redo the hands for the most part and there is no cloth on silver sonic)

hopefully this should turn out well, and I wont run into any big errors, and glad I could help clarify the true blackhawk, hopefully new pics this afternoon.

also should I worry about poly count levels, or just avoid extravagently high numbers and hope for the best?

1) import the dae collada model

Actually I wouldn't do this and use the script in the export_scripts folder instead("Model Importer-Updated 5-27-2012.ms"). The reason for it is that Max doesn't know how to properly reorient the objects when the Collada file is set to the up Y Axis, instead it just rotates the node, which doesn't actually help when exporting the Ogre Scene, since the model internally will still be rotated in the Y Axis.

The importer script properly imports it on the UP Y Axis. From there you can just export out the Ogre Scene with OgreMax(If you mistakenly installed with the Ogre 1.8 version, I'd just advise you to hold off until the next SonicGLvl update which has 1.8 support(Ogre just released the stable version on May 28th).

I need a tutorial or something

All tutorials that are needed are in the "help" folder. The most common mistake for crashing is just either a badly exported skeleton(do notice you should have a .skeleton file along your exported .mesh file), or missing materials, which can cause crashes if they're missing in some objects.

I've been working on a stage of my own, but I can't figure out how to view the path.xml models, or how to generate new ones (for grind rails, Super Sonic etc.). Do you really have to go and manually change all the values in the xml?

Are you working on Max? Dude has been working on a spline exporter straight from any splines you create in Max. If you want to set the types of the grind rails, Sonic Team uses a tag-naming system, kinda like this:

myspline01@tag

Where tag can be: "GR"(Grind Rail), "SV"(Side View), "QS"(Quickstep), "DP"(Dash Path), and some others I haven't researched enough yet. I want to try and implement a spline viewer into SonicGLvl, but I can't really render splines with Ogre(or I just haven't figured out how yet). Just make your paths in 3DS Max using splines as needed, and hopefully when you'll need it Dude will have released his script(it'll also be included in SonicGLvl later on)

Also Lobotomy, does that mean the GIA that was in the first Windmill Isle was just an import of the one in Unleashed (as in you didn't have to generate it)?

It's from Unleashed, but from the DLC that provided MUCH higher quality GIA for most stages.

Edited by Dario ff

So dario FF are you saying to wait to do exportig till the next sonic Gl release? I havent installed the exporter yet, I saw the link, but I don't need it yet, and it seemed kind of confusing to get, would you mind explaining how?

hmmmm it might be interesting to do a knuckle's chaotix conversion, replacing the non-knuckles related characters with chaotix members(Mighty, Heavy and bomb), and the rivals with appropiate replacements such as Metal knuckles and Fang the sniper, and maybe even go so far as replacing the time eater with the super charged metal sonic kai, but of course I would need to make a classic knuckles, and would need new levels as well, but at that point it would require a team, so that is something for the future

thanks Dario FF

I will try AGAIN

of the model with maxscript

and will use standart 3dsmax material

I'll upload a video of the result is good or bad

ok new update, some preliminary work, and a look at a couple of the new pieces, as well as a look at the new eye texture(does anyone know if it might be possible to setup a scrolling texture? it would be cool to have it so that it could scan, with a yellow scan line), oh and glowing, that would be cool as well on this and clasic silver sonic.

silversonic2wip.jpg

oh, another note, I accidently forgot to hide the lower eyelid, so ignore it for now, both eyelids will be gone in final version

Note I still need to do the new feet, and body modifications have not been begun, which include: altering chest by extruding belly as a plate with detailing, altering and replacing parts of the hands, removing back spines and adding booster pack, and of course lots of texturing.

advice, and input would be welcome

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

ok new update, some preliminary work, and a look at a couple of the new pieces, as well as a look at the new eye texture(does anyone know if it might be possible to setup a scrolling texture? it would be cool to have it so that it could scan, with a yellow scan line), oh and glowing, that would be cool as well on this and clasic silver sonic.

silversonic2wip.jpg

oh, another note, I accidently forgot to hide the lower eyelid, so ignore it for now, both eyelids will be gone in final version

Note I still need to do the new feet, and body modifications have not been begun, which include: altering chest by extruding belly as a plate with detailing, altering and replacing parts of the hands, removing back spines and adding booster pack, and of course lots of texturing.

advice, and input would be welcome

Maybe using Shadow's animation for running and using his shoe design to start off with would make it more "robotic"?

well first off, I currently plan to make entirely new feet, as they are different enough to merit making them. not against using shadows animation however, as silver sonic2 does have wheels on his feet. I found out the other day that in certian videos it is rendered in game so the character I am using will show his altered textures, so I took advantage of this to take these pics (also there are further developments on the SS2 body texture that is not shown here, I merely updated the eyes)

those_eyes_look_great.jpg

Yes, I know I still need to alter and replace the normal and specular maps, however it is still looking pretty good eye-wise at least

also just to clarify a few things, here are my 3 main references I am using with silver sonic 2 (1 is from sonic adventure, 2 are from archie comics and give me more detailing)

SA Mecha_sonic_sa.png archie Silversonic2.JPG783px-SilverSonic2_01.png

hopefully this will clarify my design plans a bit, and as previously stated yes I do plan to do 2 color schemes, one with all greyish-brown, the other with a blue head and partialy blue torso

hmmm, I may have to make that three, as after a closer look ingame(I have a copy of SADX) appaerently that version has black armor, but that can be put off till later as they all three do have realitively the same detailing

oh and in the last pic it was Silver sonic who chased eggman down the hole, by then he was a good guy

When I import a level, I get the Error in info instance file error so I cant import levels.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but does anyone know what happened to that guy who was going to do a full-fledged Bridge Zone in 3D? He posted an image very early on in the discussion but there's been nothing from him since.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but does anyone know what happened to that guy who was going to do a full-fledged Bridge Zone in 3D? He posted an image very early on in the discussion but there's been nothing from him since.

I believe it was Lobotomy? He's still in the discussion, just not posting updates, I suppose.

hmmmm, I just had a thought, has anyone considered doing a sand hill, or ice cap level? I think it would be rather cool to do and we have all the basic pieces we need from city escape, and it would be a fun multi-enviroment expansion on that, though scenery would take a bit of work, though there was that guy who was converting stuff from sonic adventure DX, but I just thought I would put the idea out there if it wasn't already.

I plan to do further work on silver sonic 2 later, and I may throw together heavy and bomb as well, because they arent that hard to model, and I was considering putting them on blaze and cream's skeletons respectively(still unsure about heavy, but blaze is an idea at least)

ok update, it now has FEET and a texture update.

still plently of work to do though, and I am considering replacing the current ankle mounts with metal sonic style ones, and it still needs new hands, and quite a few other mesh modifications, note the current leg diameter is not the final, its just to give you a better idea, as it does have skinnier legs.

feetwip1.jpgfeetwip3.jpgfeetwip2.jpg

think I will take a break from him for now, and have a go at heavy and bomb, though may do an ingame texture update to see how it looks

oh and on a final note, my skill area is not texturing, though I am not a bad an editor, though usualy color, though adding details shouldnt be that bad

• Thumbs Up 6

From Sonic Retro:

You're probably right, but don't forget that those pics were taken at the lowest resolution, so our custom textures really weren't shown off too well. We're still working on them, but here are some better pics of the level in general:

highres_1.png

highres_2.png

ok, here is something new, the basic meshes of Heavy, and bomb(I have coloring on them, however it does need more detailing and textures of course, though getting them up to par may be a bit tough)

heavyandbombwip1.jpgheavyandbombwip2.jpg

so on the upside this means that the only members of Knuckle's chaotix that is still needed is mighty the Armadillo(I plan to remove the spine on sonic give him new hair and do skin alterations), and classic knuckles(a modified knuckles head on a reskinned classic sonics body)

and of course new rivals, though those wont be really exciting unless I can get some new maps to go with them.

finally, I am always up to teaming up with an team with some experience to help me improve my own skills, and my main areas are modeling and modification, so tell me what you think of the beginning of heavy and bomb, note I did some reimaging on it to improve them, as the addition of visual sensors. also tell me what you think of the additions on silver sonic 2

Just realized I should proably put a ref pic for those 2 here, so here we are Heavy_%26_Bomb.png these guys showed up in the little known Knuckle's Chaotix, and were team members, along with, Knuckles, Vector, Espio, Mighty, and charmy, and they are NOT a detective agency, they are an adventuring band of misfits.

• Thumbs Up 1

ok, here is something new, the basic meshes of Heavy, and bomb(I have coloring on them, however it does need more detailing and textures of course, though getting them up to par may be a bit tough)

heavyandbombwip1.jpgheavyandbombwip2.jpg

so on the upside this means that the only members of Knuckle's chaotix that is still needed is mighty the Armadillo(I plan to remove the spine on sonic give him new hair and do skin alterations), and classic knuckles(a modified knuckles head on a reskinned classic sonics body)

and of course new rivals, though those wont be really exciting unless I can get some new maps to go with them.

finally, I am always up to teaming up with an team with some experience to help me improve my own skills, and my main areas are modeling and modification, so tell me what you think of the beginning of heavy and bomb, note I did some reimaging on it to improve them, as the addition of visual sensors. also tell me what you think of the additions on silver sonic 2

Just realized I should proably put a ref pic for those 2 here, so here we are Heavy_%26_Bomb.png these guys showed up in the little known Knuckle's Chaotix, and were team members, along with, Knuckles, Vector, Espio, Mighty, and charmy, and they are NOT a detective agency, they are an adventuring band of misfits.

Edited by Mandobardanjusik, Today, 10:36 PM.

wwwaaaawwww is cool

is to create a mod? in sonic generation

Edited by eltoto2012

That Adventure mod is looking soo cool. can't wait to see the 2 level demo for the hacking contest.

Heavy, Bomb, and Silver Sonics

Okay, I have a couple of things to comment on about these guys. They're not looking bad at all, but there's room for improvement, so here's some constructive criticism for you. For the most part, its just a matter of making the Silver Sonic's look less like a Sonic edit over time.

First off, Silver Sonic 2:

1. His feet look a little... long. I'm not sure how to explain it, but they look like they shoot forward just a bit too far, even for Silver Sonic 2.

2. There's just something weird about him being a Sonic edit, although I'm sure he'll look better in the end... I presume you're going to make his edges "pointier" and "sharper", to give a more robotic appearance eventually?

3. I hope that the mouth is removed and any eyelid animations taken out so he looks more robotic.

4. In one of those screenshots, you can still see Silver Sonic 2's irises. I believe to remove that you have to save the texture as an alpha after removing the eyes. At least, I think that's what I did with one of my mods.

5. I found a better 3D model ref for you: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwmN56ZhP9jddn7fDQniiI-wtPc6K3vonTnxvMHhTxefMktiwQOyltfQePjg

Next, Silver Sonic:

1. Honestly... it looks nothing like him. He shouldn't have any of that dark grey stuff, he is solid silver. I suggest basing him more off of this sprite. Additionally, this artwork is pretty good, though the colors are off on some aspects (eyes, shoes, etc)

2. In Silver Sonic's appearance, he actually only had one eye.

Finally, just one question about the others... why do Heavy and Bomb have eyes? I don't believe they're supposed to.

Also, I think classic Knuckles should have a LOT of edits to it if you intend to just edit Knuckles' head and Classic Sonic's body, just a fair warning.

And in conclusion, you've whet my appetite. Here's to hoping someday someone accomplishes Mecha Sonic, maybe even using this as a reference.

Seeing as how there's a lot of robotic Sonic models being discussed right now, I might as well mention this model I recently imported...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpMV_1aCdI

2012-06-02_00001.jpg

I definitely need to improve the materials for the added parts...

Also, do you guys think I should remove his voice and make the mouth static (as in keeping the same shape at all times and lacking the smile/frown/openmouth bits)

P.S. - Emerald Coast, Metal Harbor, and Sky Troops are all looking awesome so far.

• Thumbs Up 7

Kanimayo, Could you plz put those pics in a spoiler? I do not want to have to scroll down that much.

*Simulation Sonic*

I definitely need to improve the materials for the added parts...

Also, do you guys think I should remove his voice and make the mouth static (as in keeping the same shape at all times and lacking the smile/frown/openmouth bits)

Haha I've been wanting to do this since I was messing with model importing. It's a good thing you did it over the regular Sonic Model so the rigging stayed the same tho. I love it. Makes me wonder how some simulation levels for generations stages would play out... not like they would be incredibly hard to make either. :P