Awoo.

The Official Sonic Generations Mods Topic

CanofEpicSauce

Hi I'm DarkspineSilver1 from YouTube.

I made myself in Sonic Generations.

Someone tell me, how do I embed videos on here?

Edited by DarkspineSilver1

Simply post the link and it'll auto-embed the video into your post.

[media=]

Here's my Windy Valley Beta 2. I'm not sure if I showed Beta 1, but whatever. tongue.png I would love some feedback on this.

I got some great feedback from thegameexplorer on my Beta 1 video, but it was marked as spam for some odd reason. I had to "View all comments" to see it. Thanks for the feedback, thegameexplorer.

Download: http://www.mediafire...vol5d4tvqif51w1

Its looking great, however I got to say that with the camera at a default sticking that close to Sonic, it's kind of shaky and unpleasing to the eyes. Are there any plans for camera angles in this?

Also are there any plans to add the second and third parts into the game? You could always turn the second part into a 2D section (and not worry about the tornado, since after all, when do we need to explain floating platforms?).

Edited by Azukara

[media=]

Here's my Windy Valley Beta 2. I'm not sure if I showed Beta 1, but whatever. tongue.png I would love some feedback on this.

I got some great feedback from thegameexplorer on my Beta 1 video, but it was marked as spam for some odd reason. I had to "View all comments" to see it. Thanks for the feedback, thegameexplorer.

Download: http://www.mediafire...vol5d4tvqif51w1

It's pretty cool so far, though I do wonder what's the point of having those Egg Springs on that platform near the end.

Bad idea bro, we've got a strict no fancharacter policy here. don't show it off if I were you.

EDIT: Too late. oh well...

I understand. Now that I think about it, I can assume Sega DID want Super Sonic to have green eyes in Sonic 3. But then they decided to stick with the Black eyes, but forgot to remove the Green eyes from the sprites.

I also was beginning to think the Modern Sonic styled green eyes were somewhat odd looking on Classic Sonic (especially when not in side-scrolling modes,) so I changed them.

blackeyes1.png

blackeyes2.png

blackeyes3.png

I'll probably upload one tomorrow. biggrin.png

You really shouldn't have changed it because one guy said BAAAWWW GREEN EYES!!. release both, black eyes for whatshisface over there and green eyes for the rest of us.

Edited by goku262002

Its looking great, however I got to say that with the camera at a default sticking that close to Sonic, it's kind of shaky and unpleasing to the eyes. Are there any plans for camera angles in this?

Also are there any plans to add the second and third parts into the game? You could always turn the second part into a 2D section (and not worry about the tornado, since after all, when do we need to explain floating platforms?).

The camera objects (ObjCameraPan was one I think) don't work when I place them. I don't know why. They just don't. I may be missing something. As for the 2nd and 3rd sections, I might do the 2nd section, but I won't do the 3rd section because someone else is already working on the 3rd section. I'd rather not work on a 3rd section when someone else is already doing it.

It's pretty cool so far, though I do wonder what's the point of having those Egg Springs on that platform near the end.

Just for difficulty. I might remove them. Having nothing there makes it feel empty. What else should be there?

You really shouldn't have changed it because one guy said BAAAWWW GREEN EYES!!. release both, black eyes for whatshisface over there and green eyes for the rest of us.

I didn't do it just because of one person telling me to. I actually WAS starting to think the Green eyes looked a bit out of place on Classic Sonic, especially when he's facing the screen.

So I've decided to change the eye color AGAIN, but this time, I made it a bit more interesting...

2012061700024.jpg

Back when I had Solid Green eyes on him, the green was a bit too bright and a little distracting. When I gave him Modern Sonic's eyes, it also looked distracting on Classic Sonic. So I decided to try combining the Modern Sonic eyes and the Classic Black eyes.

From far away, they look black and solid. But up close, you can sorta notice the green in them. It's subtle enough, and doesn't look TOO distracting.

• Thumbs Up 3

nice job joete, good news I got mystuff ingame, however my rigging needs work, so if I can manage to use that method to preserve the rigging on the main part of the mesh, then that is a lot easier, and quicker than my other options, and thetrueblackhawk wanted to see me back on it, so now to mess with the mesh, hopefully it will work out well, and shouldnt be too hard, as ray currently looks like origami

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

The camera objects (ObjCameraPan was one I think) don't work when I place them. I don't know why. They just don't. I may be missing something. As for the 2nd and 3rd sections, I might do the 2nd section, but I won't do the 3rd section because someone else is already working on the 3rd section. I'd rather not work on a 3rd section when someone else is already doing it.

Cameras are easy to do. You've got to use the ChangeVolumeCamera object for any custom cameras like that. Simply place the camera object, place the ChangeVolumeCamera(notice you can edit the Collision's box size and you can easily preview it in SonicGLvl), and you'll notice the ChangeVolumeCamera stores under [Target] the Object ID. Simply copy the Camera's ID into it, and whenever Sonic enters the area of the changer, it will switch to that camera(notice about EaseTimeEnter and EaseTimeLeave for smoothing).

Changers can also have priorities if you want to place a changer inside the area of another changer. The one with the higher priority is the one that gets activated. It would be neat if we could have this stuff documented in the wiki if you want. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Bad idea bro, we've got a strict no fancharacter policy here. don't show it off if I were you.

no fancharacters thats lame! It's not fair too, if someone has to make a Official Sonic Character hack, you have to alot of nerdy stuff. Not many people can do that. Plus, I think fancharacters would make all Sonic Modding topic way more popular.

I didn't do it just because of one person telling me to. I actually WAS starting to think the Green eyes looked a bit out of place on Classic Sonic, especially when he's facing the screen.

So I've decided to change the eye color AGAIN, but this time, I made it a bit more interesting...

2012061700024.jpg

Back when I had Solid Green eyes on him, the green was a bit too bright and a little distracting. When I gave him Modern Sonic's eyes, it also looked distracting on Classic Sonic. So I decided to try combining the Modern Sonic eyes and the Classic Black eyes.

From far away, they look black and solid. But up close, you can sorta notice the green in them. It's subtle enough, and doesn't look TOO distracting.

I think the previous version with black eyes looked better as I personally prefer Classic Super Sonic with black eyes since the green eyes were used in only one game and they make him look too much like a Super Saiyan ripoff, but I must admit the green eyes on that updated version don't look too bad. They look much better than the previous green eyes, as they no longer stick out too much. So kudos for that.

its the rules dude, keeps stuff from getting wacky crude and crass, and game priotity is #1 thing of course, and even archie stuff is very very on the border, unless its something good, or more views on a game one

• Thumbs Up 6

Mecha knuckles should be easy, he's made from metal after all. And metal doesn't bend.

actualy multisectioned mesh(leg connections, and arm connections) do, but yeah some parts are easy, but some of the skeleton mod is a pain

I think the previous version with black eyes looked better as I personally prefer Classic Super Sonic with black eyes since the green eyes were used in only one game and they make him look too much like a Super Saiyan ripoff, but I must admit the green eyes on that updated version don't look too bad. They look much better than the previous green eyes, as they no longer stick out too much. So kudos for that.

Hilariously enough, when viewing his standing animation while he's facing the screen (such as with the 3D Hub mod,) his quills look more like Super Saiyan hair than Modern Super's quills. Either way, I think changing them to be mostly black with a minor green tint around the edges was a good choice on my part, and I'm glad that most of you are liking it thus far. biggrin.png

no fancharacters thats lame! It's not fair too, if someone has to make a Official Sonic Character hack, you have to alot of nerdy stuff. Not many people can do that. Plus, I think fancharacters would make all Sonic Modding topic way more popular.

To make things clear, most of the people here know how to do more than just model swaps / recolors / minor animation edits / music hacks. And most of us don't like fan characters unless they have a decent amount of thought and originality put into their design an execution.

Mind you, I've created a few fan characters back in the old days. I used to be a sprite artist, and I'd make various fan characters. Some official-character sprite graphics I've made would go on to form the basis of many other fan characters, a few fan-forms of official characters (such as Fire Sonic from Super Mario Bros. Z.) and being mistaken for official graphics and used as an achievement icon in an officially licensed XBLA port of an unrelated Sonic game... (Man, I never get tired of bringing that up.)

I've also used some non-official design choices on some of my models. I've even made a fan-form of an official character in the form of a recolor and used it in place of a boss. Even then, I still put some effort into making them look good, and I treated them like I should. They were just aesthetic choices, and a silly parody in that boss recolor's case.

Trust me, I know how you feel. Just know that not everyone likes fan characters, and that most of the people frequenting this thread don't like them very much.

P.S. - I see you've also been making/using mods for Super Smash Bros Brawl. I've been a Brawl modder for quite some time. I've even released a few of my mods on Brawl Vault.

Also, I'm probably the only one here who knows that your avatar is a recolor of Spex130's Human Sonic model import.

I just can't import a model into the game! It keeps crashing no matter what I do! Without skeleton, with skeleton, with certain files, without...

I just don't know what to do anymore...

There was an error while exporting though, about more then 4 weights but Twilight Zoney was able to import it even with the errors!..

I just can't import a model into the game! It keeps crashing no matter what I do! Without skeleton, with skeleton, with certain files, without...

I just don't know what to do anymore...

There was an error while exporting though, about more then 4 weights but Twilight Zoney was able to import it even with the errors!..

That might be your problem. Either that, or your materials and sub-mesh distribution are messed up.

The whole 4 weights thing only seems to be a problem with EasyOgreExporter. The free version of OgreMax (which I use most of the time) lacks that problem.

Additionally, if there are multiple instances of a material name (Such as Sonic's model having 4 Sonic_body_gm's and 2 Sonic_cloth_gm's,) EasyOgreExporter renames them (such as Sonic_body_gm, Sonic_body_gm_1, etc.) That's not good at all.

Try exporting your model with OgreMax and see if it works any better.

P.S. - EasyOgreExporter isn't bad if you know how to work around the two issues I mentioned. Heck, my Super Silver model works better with EasyOgreExporter than it does with OgreMax.

Edited by JoeTE
  • Thumbs Up 1

P.S. - EasyOgreExporter isn't bad if you know how to work around the two issues I mentioned. Heck, my Super Silver model works better with EasyOgreExporter than it does with OgreMax.

I'd recommend you to forward any issues to the Redmine project. Do NOT forward issues just because of how SonicGLvl works, but rather improvements that you feel that need to be made. The material thing for example sounds like one.

http://redmine.scolr...ects/eoe/issues

Sure, EOE might not be as good as OgreMax yet, but OgreMax is commercial and heavily limited unless you fork over the cash. EOE is open-source and its developer is quite supportive of it. I'm sure that if you report any issues you get to him on that page he'll improve the plugin, it just needs to keep being used so it's improved upon, if you know what I mean. Some of the updates you've seen for it that make it work fine with SonicGLvl are because I requested them. tongue.png

In any case he no longer supports it, I can even try to pick the code and do changes myself.

Worst comes to worst, Ogre supports a mesh format using XML. You can write it even on MaxScript if you want(albeit you can imagine how much longer it could take to export something using that).

Edited by Dario ff
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still doesn't work after using OgreMax, wtf?

I could send you the files Joe, pm ofc. Otherwise people would steal it.