Awoo.

What's your favorite portrayal of Dr. Eggman?

Dr. Mechano

Don't forget the evil sounding Sonic Underground and such like that. I always got creeped out listening to that version.

Unleashed/Colors/Generations Eggman

They finally nailed what he's supposed to be, an eccentric evil scientist who can blow the planet to pieces one minute, and then be eating a subway sandwich the next. A man who has FUN in being evil and tormenting millions of innocent people/animals/aliens. That's the ideal Eggman in my book

• Thumbs Up 4

So how long before this delves into "Robotnik is bettar than Eggman, cuz he' moar evil and Eggman sux" argument?

Sure, I'll bite:

I'll go with a top three:

Sonic X(Comic) Eggman: This guy is fucking amazing. By far the most comedic and flamboyant portrayal of the doctor yet. Like Mechano said he feels more humane here than anywhere else and really just seems like a guy who just wants to mess with Sonic than outright despising him. He also shows a deep hidden side by wanting to be appreciated as a hero like Sonic for a change, and for a good while he does a good job, hell there are times when Sonic looks like the bad guy the way he antagonizes the guy. El Gran Gordo is epic as all hell and shows the Doctor can throw down without any machines backing him up, and he has most of the woman crushing on him(Sexy fatman indeed). If anything my only gripe is that he comes off as less of a villain because of his humane nature.

Archie Eggman: By far the most ruthless version of the doc yet. He's basically Game Eggman taken up to eleven. He bombs entire cities, guns down innocent people, and drains their life force, and the creepy part of it all is how jovial he is when he's doing it. He shows little to none of the human qualities of Sonic X, but still stays interesting for just how utterly depraved he is, there are time when I'm genuinely afraid of him, and those red eyes, dear god those eyes.

Sega Eggman: By far my favorite interpretation of the doctor, particularly recently. He clearly is having fun with what's he doing whether its blowing up the planet, draining aliens of their life force, or ripping holes in time. He's egotistical and loves ordering people around, and makes sure to have a good time when he's trying to take out Sonic. He seems to respect Sonic, but not enough to want him alive, he wants that Hedgehog dead and will go through extreme lengths to do so, but he still has that little kid side to him that doesn't make him completely evil, he's a nice in between of Sonic X Eggman, and Archie Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 5

Just take game Eggman and give him X's (Comic) Eggman's human side

If El Gran Gordo becomes canon I will be the happiest man alive. Just imagine a boss fight against El Gran Gordo as El Rapido Azule.

IMAGINE IT

• Thumbs Up 5

SEGA Eggman, specifically the one from the Unleashed trilogy. He's a bit over the top, trying to break open the planet, control it, or even destroy it, yet at the same time he also has a more human side, going about his plans with a little bit more flair, as opposed to just being evil. The writing for those games and the backup he got

(Orbot, Cubot, and

Classic Eggman)

helped out a lot as well. smile.png

Of course, I also quite enjoy SATAM's portrayal of him, if only for the sheer sadisticness he emitted. tongue.png

Edited by awesomebelossom
  • Thumbs Up 1

Satam Robotnik is my favorite version. He brings out Sonic's love for freedom better then the other versions since he actually takes over the planet. I also love his scenes with Snively. They have a really interesting family relationship. Plus he's voice by Jim Cummings.

My least favorite version is Sonic X Robotnik. He's too goofy for my taste and sadly it seems like Sega Sonic Robotnik is starting to become more like his Sonic X counterpart.

Don't forget the evil sounding Sonic Underground and such like that. I always got creeped out listening to that version.

Who is voiced by Gary Chalk, the voice of Grounder for irony.

My favorite portrayal of Eggman is in fact Dr. Robotnik from AoStH mostly because how funny he was. I always rooted for him to win even though he always loses. Not to mention it was AoStH really got me into Sonic because of all its humor. :P

On 11/6/2011 at 4:04 PM, Darkfox said:

My least favorite version is Sonic X Robotnik. He's too goofy for my taste and sadly it seems like Sega Sonic Robotnik is starting to become more like his Sonic X counterpart.

While I'm certainly not going to argue against opinions or preferences- since that's what this topic is about and you're totally fine preferring SatAM Robotnik- I do have to question your assertion that Sega Eggman's goofiness is a recent invention, considering that even in the 90s the guy was using mustached Death Stars, giant mallets, robots that looked like Fisher-Price toys, and other totally cartoonish villain tactics. Even the amusement park in Colors is nothing new- Knuckles Chaotix took place entirely within Eggman's amusement park-themed Newtrogic High Zone, which was a similarly festive base.

Again, not arguing against your disdain for goofy Eggman, since that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'm simply saying that the Sega version of the character has always been kinda silly.

• Thumbs Up 5

SatAM Robotnik, probably the first Robotnik I was exposed to as a child (not including the Robotnik in the classics) but that's not why, it's his voice <3

It's so dark and spine chilling, giving him this dark, somewhat darth vader appeal, he's cold, cruel, surrounded by evil and pretty much everything he touches turns t ruins, he gives a feeling of threat at all times and comes close to stopping Sonic quite a few times :o

My favorite version is the game version, but i prefer it when he and his villany isn't played for laughs to an extreme degree. Practically any game up to and including SA2 showed of what i think Eggman should be like.

I also kinda like SatAM Robotnik, even if he does feel like a very different character than game-Eggman. He is one of those villains designed to be loathed, and he sure is easy to loathe, so props to Jim Cummings and the Dic-people (lol, i got to say "cum" and "dic" in the same sentence lololololol).

• Thumbs Up 1

While we're on the subject, I'm actually going to surprise a lot of you by saying I don't dislike SatAM Robotnik at all. I actually think he's alright (Even if not particularly interesting to me), and serves as a decent villain for the show he was used in. Honestly, I think my only point of contention with him is that he's called "Robotnik" despite having almost nothing in common with his game counterpart.

In other words, if not for the fact that I'm supposed to view him as SatAM's version of Dr. Eggman, I can actually really respect Julian as his own unique entity for what he is. I still don't like him as much as the original Doc, but I see merit to the character, and some of the things he says and does are genuinely pretty cool. I think I just get hung up on how unlike Eggman he is, and it distracts me from appreciating him on his own merits, I guess?

Basically, in order to enjoy SatAM Robotnik as a character, I have to make myself forget that he's this universe's version of Eggman. Once I disassociate him from the Eggman I know and love, Julian's a decently-written bad guy, and I certainly don't hate him. I just like him way less than Eggman.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 2

My favorite versions are by far the OVA and game versions of Dr. Eggman.

In the OVA, plenty of the characters portray the way the games want them. Eggman is no exception. He's so evil yet has a really goofy side. The overexaggerated way he reacts to situations is absolutely brilliant, especially when he yelled at Sonic to "SHUT UP!" and his anger after everyone, including his robots, slept through his synopsis. His lust, and maybe it's the Eggman/Sera fanboy in me: CARE, for Sara is awe-spiring. His impeccable intelligence is nothing to take for granted, even though Sonic did initially.

For, for the game version, there's no real words to describe how GREAT he's been since he arrived. The Classics from the Japanese point of view described him as an evil genius with the maturity of a little child. He's impulsive, impatient, sinister, narcissistic, and oh so adorable. There was a cartoon clip from Sonic Jam showing his vain, goofy personality while simultaneously being evil. It's a laugh riot and basically showed me for the first time what Eggman was supposed to be.

Of all the characters written from Sonic Adventure on, Eggman is the most well-rounded and best-written, even during games where the plots are garbage. There has been so much great character development of him since Adventure, especially Sonic Adventure 2, where he was the star. Verte explained to us what makes Eggman from SA2 so great, and the great Mechano has constantly explained to us how developed he was in this game. He was my most favorite portrayal due to all the layers of character he had, from his narcissism to his evilness to his pain when he talked about his grandfather.

If Sega ever plans to develop a short CGI flick about Eggman's memories and admiration of his grandfather before and after Adventure 2, I would be jumping for joy!

:D

But I've been mostly talking about his seriousness here. It's his goofiness that molds him into an even greater badass villain! Sonic Unleashed was tremendous in showing that, especially in his talks with Orbot. His conversation with the robot while eating his Subway sub is a really nice touch on his eager tendencies while being menacing simultaneously. His childlike frustration at the end of the story is also magnificently funny.

But in Colors…well, I can only show you.

Goofy, hilarious, yet so evil! :D

These two versionsare just made of absolute WIN, and I wouldn't want them any other way! :D

• Thumbs Up 2

My favorite would be the Eggman Unleashed Trilogy one. He can tear apart a world, but have laughs with his two dopey little robots that appeared in both Unleashed and Colors (and a second in Generations, im guessing they died in space by now XD)

I can laugh at him, and also take him seriously. Hell he also brought back the original Robitnik to team up with! Everything we been asking for. .

While I'm certainly not going to argue against opinions or preferences- since that's what this topic is about and you're totally fine preferring SatAM Robotnik- I do have to question your assertion that Sega Eggman's goofiness is a recent invention, considering that even in the 90s the guy was using mustached Death Stars, giant mallets, robots that looked like Fisher-Price toys, and other totally cartoonish villain tactics. Even the amusement park in Colors is nothing new- Knuckles Chaotix took place entirely within Eggman's amusement park-themed Newtrogic High Zone, which was a similarly festive base.

Again, not arguing against your disdain for goofy Eggman, since that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I'm simply saying that the Sega version of the character has always been kinda silly.

Well the first Sonic game I played was Sonic Adventure 2, and I never got the feeling that Robotnik was meant to be a goofy villain in that game. When I played the "Genesis" games which have no voice acting I saw Robotnik as a pretty evil character especially in Sonic 3&Knuckles in which he sets a whole forest on fire and he shocks Knuckles in the Hidden Place. Plus he doesn't care that Angel Island falling could kill alot of people.

After the "Genesis" games I then played Sonic Adventure DX and in that game he tries to blow up a whole city.

When I saw Sonic X for the first time I found their verison of Robotnik to be jarring with his goofness and robot sidekicks after I had played the games and read the Archie Sonic comics.

Edited by Darkfox

So far, I like the X anime Eggman by far. There is something about his multi-dimensionality portrayed in the show that I really like, as opposed to the one-dimensional evil character of most media. My exposure to Sonic media is not very complete though.

Game-wise, I only know up to Unleashed. I haven't played Colors yet but should get around it soon. I suspect that he's written the same as always. Of course, I didn't play Generations yet.

Comic-wise, I have a rough idea of how Eggman was written until his dissapearance. I have no idea how different of similar Comic Sonic X Eggman is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't hate SATAM Robotnik either, I respect him as an individual and the fact that he was indeed able to take over the planet and is treated as a much more serious and personal threat because of how much impact he's had on the main character's lives; I just find him incredibly dull and boring as a both a villain and a character.

Well the first Sonic game I played was Sonic Adventure 2, and I never got the feeling that Robotnik was meant to be a goofy villain in that game. When I played the "Genesis" games which have no voice acting I saw Robotnik as a pretty evil character especially in Sonic 3&Knuckles in which he sets a whole forest on fire and he shocks Knuckles in the Hidden Place. Plus he doesn't care that Angel Island falling could kill alot of people.

After the "Genesis" games I then played Sonic Adventure DX and in that game he tries to blow up a whole city.

When I saw Sonic X for the first time I found their verison of Robotnik to be jarring with his goofness and robot sidekicks after I had played the games and read the Archie Sonic comics.

This actually is a good point, up until X, there was real indication that Eggman was that silly of a character other than the subtle hints, and unless you watched the OVA, it was kind of an unconfirmed thing. So if someone was growing up watching SATAM, and played SA2 then Eggman would look like a much more intimidating villain.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 5

Ah, we don't disagree that Sega Eggman is an evil man who's done some really destructive things. We're totally on the same page there.

But we're not talking about morality- We're talking about presentation! Goofiness and evilness are not mutually exclusive. What I'm saying is this.

SatAM Robotnik commits acts of planetary evil with a stoic serious scowl and an all-business approach.

Sega Eggman also commits some truly vile deeds, but does so with all the bounding glee of a giddy schoolboy. He has fun while committing his evil, and themes his inventions and weapons after jovial, cartoonish themes. Again, I point you to the Badniks, the Death Egg, most of his Eggmobile weapons, his myriads of amusement parks, etc.

I wasn't arguing with you about Eggman's morality. I was arguing about his goofiness, which you seem to think is a recent addition to his character. Regardless of how evil you perceive game Eggman, I think his silly personality has always been part of his character, even at his most sinister moments.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I was trying to say is that before Sonic X I never really saw Robotnik as a goofy villain. Maybe it was Deem Bristow's voice acting but he just felt like and sounded like more of a threat in the early games before Sonic X.

The only forms of media that gave him any character we're SATAM and AOSTH.

Edited by Dr. Mechano