Awoo.

What's your favorite portrayal of Dr. Eggman?

Dr. Mechano

One other thing: if there's one factor I don't like about Archie Eggman, it's that he has the SatAM red eyes. I understand Archie Eggman's excuse since he was originally Robo Robotnik, but I always thought the red eyes were excessive. I always thought Game Robotnik's glasses were more creepy, since I'm a big fan of the whole "eyes are the windows of the soul, ergo you can't even see the bad guy's eyes" belief. To be fair, I never thought SatAM Robotnik looked scary at all either, and genuinely thought the games' version had more of a "creepy" vibe to him. But that's just me. Maybe it's my distaste for oversized shoulder pads and capes.

If there's one thing I can thank Sonic 2006 for (that's not named Sonic Man), it's giving him normal blue eyes. IMO, it helps emphasize that he's a normal guy and not a supernatural demon. Which just makes his evil worse.

I hate how people's perceptions are that just because he doesn't sound like a SRS BSNZ villain anymore he's a harmless joke. Goofy villains can be just as dangerous as serious ones. Case in point:

Discord_Wired_preview.png

This goofball.

And here's another classic not-Joker example:

logo2121940881228020610.png

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Dash&Spin Eggman was the best. He had bizzarre schemes (such as a giant cockroach trap that was supposed to catch Sonic), he was shown robbing a bank, and generally was a crazy awesome type of character.

Oh yeah, SatAM Robotnik definitely had a great leitmotif. And I'll always appreciate that beautiful deep Jim Cummings voice.

Even if I'm not a Julian fan, I can certainly find a few traits that I get a personal kick out of.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

I like how people often refer to SatAM-Robotnik simply as "Julian". Honestly, im not being sarcastic or anything. There is something oddly appealing about such as threatening character being called by a such an extremly non-threatening name. :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I like how people often refer to SatAM-Robotnik simply as "Julian". Honestly, im not being sarcastic or anything. There is something oddly appealing about such as threatening character being called by a such an extremly non-threatening name. tongue.png

5. AoStH - Dr. Ivo Robotnik

1.jpg

I love AoStH Robotnik. AoStH was actually my first exposure to Sonic, and while it's silly and ridiculous, I think it still holds up. The Robotnik of this cartoon totally steals the show with his flamboyant personality and hilarious quotes.

AoStH Robotnik is a bombastic mixture of egotism and self pity. To quote Milton Knight, "[Robotnik] is very excited about the fact that he exists. He's jealous of the hedgehog. Why should Sonic get the praise? Give it to Robotnik!"

And that really sums up his character- AoStH Ivo wants attention, praise, and recognition- Perhaps moreso than he even wants power. I find that fantastic, and I always enjoy watching this character because of what an entertaining fellow he is.

In all honesty, this is exactly why I prefer this version of Robotnik over the rest. This pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. He's just so over the top that it's hilarious, and his sheer sense of desperation only makes it more interesting.

Well no matter what Robotnik always has a good theme song.

That's another reason why I like the games Robotnik best. I freakin' love that song!! XD

I hated the remix on ShtH though, so I was very pleased to see it return to it's original glory on Sonic Generations.

Makes me wonder how ShtH would have turned out if it had starred Eggman instead. I mean, no matter how bad the writing has ever been, you could always depend on game Robotnik to put on an attention craving show with a smile.

Funny, goofy, but not so it dominates his character like in Heroes, and ShadowTh,immature,throws hissy fits when he doesn't get his way, surprisingly cheerful otherwise (he manages to keep trundling on despite all his failures and keeps a bright face because he believes he'll get his way eventually and just enjoys bugging Sonic anyway, his classic incarnation was practically perpetually smiling, unless you count his Americanitised version...)

I think Unleashed did it the best and his Colours portrayal is awesome too, he has a more snarky tone in that game which is a little odd for being...new, but it doesn't stand out as an unreasonable development really.

And Darkfox, agreed, Eggman's theme from SA2 is EPIC SAUCE.

Edited by Mysterics

Since we're talkiing about the different versions of Robotnik, I think that we should also talk about the diffferent voice actors that the character has had over the years.

My favorite voice actor for Robotnik is of course Jim Cummings. He did a great job making Robotnik sound like a real threat. And in "Blast to the Past" I like how his voice is softer. I always saw Satam Robotnik as being very charismatic and charming to people. And I feel that Cummings voice made this verison of the character work.

My second favorite voice actor for Robotnik is Deem Bristow. Like Cummings he also made Robotnik sound like a threat. Sadly Deem is no longer with us.

My third favorite voice actor is Mike Pollock. Even though I'm not a fun of the more silly Robotnik that we see in Sonic X, Pollock does a good job with the voice, and of the 4kids voice actors he is the one with the most talent.

Edited by Darkfox
  • Thumbs Up 1

My second favorite voice actor for Robotnik is Deem Bristow. Like Cummings he also made Robotnik sound like a threat. Sadly Deem is no longer with us.

Indeed, Deem Bristow was superb as Eggman. I love Mike too, but Deem deserves special mention for his portrayal.

I feel like chiming in here, that Deem also brought some sympathetic emotion to Eggman's voice in SA2's ending. When Eggman is reminiscing about his childhood, spent looking up to his then-heroic grandfather Professor Gerald, it's hard not to feel bad for the guy, despite all the evil he's done. The scene, and those lines in particular, feel so real to me- He really nailed the feeling of "Old man feeling regret over his childhood hero not being all he was cracked up to be."

Edited by Dr. Mechano

What I especially loved about Deem was how much unadulterated malice and evil he could pack into his voice in SA1 and SA2. Made him sound even more threatening then Jim Cumming's Robotnik at times though he was awesome as well.

I mean, listen to this;

You can tell that Eggman most certainly ain't in the mood to screw around and he means business. Makes you take him seriously.

And then there's this;

Genuinely threatening and serious. And I love how he tells Sonic to back off upon placing the emerald in the center as well as the perceptible touch of smugness when he tricks Tails into thinking he's sealed Sonic's fate ("Because you just told me fox boy!")

• Thumbs Up 1

It's too bad that we didn't get to see Deem play the softer side of Robotnik more. Because I think that he had the potential to like Mike does.

Edited by Darkfox

My favorite version of Robotnik was when he could

Roboticize just by touching a living being

post-3610-0-18732600-1321151576_thumb.jp

But by far my favorite appearance of Robotnik was in issue 98 during the Sonic Adventure 2 adaptation drawn by Spaz. I just love the way everything was drawn in that story.

post-3610-0-79182900-1321151658_thumb.jp

I like how people often refer to SatAM-Robotnik simply as "Julian". Honestly, im not being sarcastic or anything. There is something oddly appealing about such as threatening character being called by a such an extremly non-threatening name. tongue.png

Funnily enough, despite liking (Ivo) Robotnik a tiiiiny bit more as a general name, this is why I was always okay with Eggman too. For me, it's all the greater when you manage to make a harmless-sounding title and turn it into something that everyone else fears. If you say "the Joker" in the Batman world, everyone freaks out. Likewise, while anywhere else would give you a hearty "I am the walrus" reply, in Sonic's universe, the name "Eggman" equates to "Oh god, not him."

I suppose this is the reason why names like "Mephiles" don't appeal that much to me (haw haw haw, named after the devil), but seemingly kiddy names like "Time Eater" and the many "Egg ___" do. Black Doom's obviously an exception though, mainly because "Black Doom" doesn't even sound like the name of a person or a thing.

EDIT: We're talking about voices now? Crap, that's a tough one. I love almost all of them, even Julian (well, you can never go wrong with Jim Cummings). Overall though, I'll go with Bristow and Pollock, thr former for being the first "true" game Robotnik voice, and the latter for (IMO) shaping himself up as the Eggman equivalent of Mario's Charles Martinet. That and he's a swell guy in general.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

I freaking loved Deem. While Pollock's voice is more well rounded for having a humorous, villainous or sympathetic tone, Bristow is unmatched in how conniving he made Eggman sound. He had what I could only describe as a gritty whisper that ranged from mildly threatening to completely terrifying.

My favorite portrayal of Dr. eggman is probably the one from sonic adventure 1 and 2 followed closely by the one from SATAM.

Eggman in sonic adventure 1 and 2 felt more evil, and went to extreme measures to get what he wanted.

He threatened to blow up a city, he pointed a gun at Amy and launched Sonic into sapce to his death, and he was planning to bomb station square. However, he still has a hint of good in him when he attacks perfect chaos with his egg carrier, and when he helps sonic stop the Ark from crashing into the planet. (Then again that could be because he himself wants to rule the planet.)

The Eggman in SATAM has an excellent voice (Yay for Jim Cummings) and when he talks it gives you chills down your spine. He is also evil to the core.