Awoo.

illogical things in sonic games

savvn

So I played SA recently and on the level sky deck I stopped to think about where everything takes place, there's just one thing I dont get. In sonic's version of the level, the second part of the stage takes place on top of the carrier and the third part takes place inside the ship but I dont get where the first bit takes place. Its not the underneath the ship because you can see the underneath in the sky chase level and it looks nothing like the first part of sky deck. So I still dont get it.

Edited by savvn

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Zero

• savvn

• Rusty Spy

• Blue Blood

I seriously dunno, and I think it's something the developers couldn't be bothered to give a shit about.

BUT if I was to try and find an explanation...when you do the Sky Chase sequence, the ship is in it's standard form, but when you crash-land on the Carrier, Eggman transforms it so it's harder to reach him, and that's probably why the Sky Deck looks like it does for the level. :P

Ever play an RPG where you see a house from the outside, and then from inside it's HUGE? Yeah, same thing. It's called convenience. Would you really want to be running aorund the entire Sky Deck as an Adventure field?

I always figured the second part took place on top of one of the wings, so maybe the first part takes place under under that wing? And this wouldn't contradict the Sky Chases because the wings weren't extended until after Sky Chase Act 2.

The same thing actually happens in Flying Battery, when Sonic jump from the mushroom hill he hangs on the front of Flying Battery, but in the stage he comes from the back underneath the FB and ascends to the top which was really brilliant to cover the mistake they made. And in Death Egg too, Sonic jumps from Sky Sancutary but we never know how the hell he got into Death Egg, is Eggman possibly left a window opened for Sonic? :blink:

Nice topic btw ;)

Oh yeah, I never did understand how sonic jumped on the death egg. He takes a random "leap of faith" of the screen and some how enters a large flying ship in the sky, possibly hundreds of meters away.

Anyway I just had a thought, at the end of the first section in sky deck, there's a cannon that you have shoot a missle at however that cannon apears to have no stand, in fact, its hanging on something therefore that part has to take place underneath something.

Edited by savvn

The same thing actually happens in Flying Battery, when Sonic jump from the mushroom hill he hangs on the front of Flying Battery, but in the stage he comes from the back underneath the FB and ascends to the top which was really brilliant to cover the mistake they made. And in Death Egg too, Sonic jumps from Sky Sancutary but we never know how the hell he got into Death Egg, is Eggman possibly left a window opened for Sonic? :blink:

Nice topic btw ;)

Ever watched any of the TV shows? Just 'Super Sonic Spin' his way into the ship. It's usually the most convenient way he uses to actually fly for a short amount of time.

As for the Sky Deck, if you are on the area after you beat the level while the ship is transformed, and try to go to the area where you'd be able to reach the front of the ship by use of those two bridges, you'll see an expansive gap between the front and the back preventing you from returning to the front that way. This HAS to be the Sky Deck, the only real problem is where the SECOND part of the level takes place, but it's most likely the same as Blue Blood's 'Little house Giant house' analogy.

Also Hot Shelter. No way the Egg Carrier is big enough to house the whole thing, right? :P

Either that or the Egg Carrier is simply a tardis.

But the Egg Carrier IS huge, so it's obvious it can fit all of Sky Deck and Hot Shelter. The developers just weren't bothered to make the Adventure Field that big, 'y'know? XP

If I recall correctly (which I might not ^^; ), on the Sonic X profile card for Egg Carrier it said it was about 4 kilometres long? I know the show isn't canon but..that's BIG. O_o

But the Egg Carrier IS huge, so it's obvious it can fit all of Sky Deck and Hot Shelter. The developers just weren't bothered to make the Adventure Field that big, 'y'know? XP

If I recall correctly (which I might not ^^; ), on the Sonic X profile card for Egg Carrier it said it was about 4 kilometers long? I know the show isn't canon but..that's BIG. O_o

Yeah I remember seeing that myself. At some point, the space that you see in the Egg Carrier becomes almost unrealistic because when you are able to freely transform it after you clear the game, it's like it compacts down, so does that mean the whole level of skydeck compacts as well?

Good something to wrap the mind around I say.

-Etika

I would have to agree with that theory, all that's missing is a few shadows here and there and the place will feel like home.

Still, I believe that the first part of the stage does take place under one of the wings. I really can't explain how on earth Sonic manages to get to the second part of the stage after blowing up a huge cannon. Unless the cannon was so massive that it had support on the upper part of the wing. So when Sonic blew it up, a air like vacuum sucked him onto the wing where the second part takes place. Therefore, when Sonic blows up the second cannon, it creates a hole that leads inside the Egg Carrier.

Oh shit, I'm over analyzing again.

I'm not entirely sure because it's been a while since I've played through the level, but early in the second part I recall there being a portion of the area that's sort of mangled. I need to double check, but if I'm remembering correctly, then that could possibly be the wreckage around the area where the cannon from the first part was attached, and maybe Sonic climbed up through it to the topside of the wing?

EDIT: I just double checked, and it turns out I was remembering correctly. In fact, there was more to it than I thought. That chunk of the wing wasn't just mangled, there was a big, gaping hole! Sonic could have easily just jumped through it.

Edited by G-Force

Thats quite possible because, right at the beggining of the second part there are a bunch of bars attached to the ground, so I think the second part takes place on the wing and then on top of the carrier, hence the strong wings. like if you stood on top of a plane.

Also Hot Shelter. No way the Egg Carrier is big enough to house the whole thing, right? :P

Well, it is a very clever ship, designed by the one and only Eggman.

Well, it is a very clever ship, designed by the one and only Eggman.

If Eggman is so clever, why is the Emerald hill zone boss so easy?

If Eggman is so clever, why is the Emerald hill zone boss so easy?

Because back then, when he was "Young and full of beans", his creations weren´t as ambitious as the egg carrier (I´m taking Death Egg as an exception)

This puzzled me when I was younger. I always over-analyze trivial things like this, so I slowly explored the level for clues.

The conclusion I came to years ago was that the first part of the Sky deck takes place on the underside of the Egg Carrier's left wing. If you stop and look around, you can see the front of the ship in the background behind the clouds, and on the other end you can see the engines that appear on the back of the ship. Also, the level is decorated with the same design as the wings of the Egg Carrier.

The second part is on the top of the ship's left wing. When you reach the end, you can still see both ends of the ship in the distance. Also, the first part you run on is shaped oddly like the wingtip, and it collapses under you after a certain point; later cutscenes show the left wingtip missing from the ship.

The third part, however, I still don't know. I couldn't find anywhere on the Egg Carrier where it could take place. Maybe inside somewhere?

Ever play an RPG where you see a house from the outside, and then from inside it's HUGE? Yeah, same thing. It's called convenience. Would you really want to be running aorund the entire Sky Deck as an Adventure field?

I think that's basically it. But I've never really thought about it, games do that sort of thing all the time so I guess I just accept it.

This puzzled me when I was younger. I always over-analyze trivial things like this, so I slowly explored the level for clues.

The conclusion I came to years ago was that the first part of the Sky deck takes place on the underside of the Egg Carrier's left wing. If you stop and look around, you can see the front of the ship in the background behind the clouds, and on the other end you can see the engines that appear on the back of the ship. Also, the level is decorated with the same design as the wings of the Egg Carrier.

The second part is on the top of the ship's left wing. When you reach the end, you can still see both ends of the ship in the distance. Also, the first part you run on is shaped oddly like the wingtip, and it collapses under you after a certain point; later cutscenes show the left wingtip missing from the ship.

The third part, however, I still don't know. I couldn't find anywhere on the Egg Carrier where it could take place. Maybe inside somewhere?

I always thought of the third part to be the carrier's "storage area" for things, thats probably why you see things fall out of the small rooms when the area shifts to one direction (like in knuckles's part of the stage)

Edited by savvn

Tails doesn't twist his tailes to fly, Lukar, they rotate from where they're joinded to the rest of his torso. It's almost as if they're on a disc that spins. The fact that he can do more than just twist them on the spot is illogical.

Anyone very find it odd that in the Mega Drive/Genesis games, when Tails spin attacks, his body spins independently of his tails? He must have some incredibly flexible bone structure.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Better yet, imagine how powerful Tails' tails would have to be to propel him in the air and across the land. It makes you wonder why he even sees the need for dummy ring bombs when he can slap an enemy hard enough to send them flying through the air Team Rocket style and end up twirled around a lamppost.

The Sonic franchise is built on a blue hedgehog who can run faster than the speed of sound.

If that's not illogical, I don't know what is. XD