Awoo.

Sonic's coming back to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade!

Speederino

Source

For all of you non-American readers out there, the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is an annual event that not only celebrates Thanksgiving; but also, in theory, marks the beginning of the Christmas season. It sees hundreds of dancers, musicians and other celebrities make their way through the streets of New York, flanked by ornate floats and a fleet of giant balloon characters culled from the annals of pop culture. It's good wholesome fun and, despite the money involved, the event organizers

Sonic's modern incarnation, as seen in the recently released Sonic Generations, will be making an appearance at this year's parade. The picture to the right was taken during a test flight in New Jersey

This is the second version of the oddly-colored hedgehog to bless the parade with his inflated presence. In 1993, at the height of his fame, the

of Sonic was the first video game character to be included in the parade. His glory was short lived, however, as midway through the event a heavy gust of wind caused the inflatable Sonic to career off-course before crashing into a lamppost and injuring an off-duty policeman.

You'll be able to see the, hopefully properly secured, new Sonic balloon, alongside the newly introduced Julius the monkey and

balloons, in action when the parade starts on Nov 24th.

Lamppost? what are you talking about exactly? (Did not see the parade, was in a different country at that age.)

Well, I don't see any other topic's here about it. Regardless, it would be even better if the balloon hit the exact same lamppost AND the exact same guy!

If Sonic keeps attacking him, then we shall know that it's really Eggman in disguise...ph34r.png

Edited by Speederino

It's funny, because now he could just boost into the lamp post. :P

But it's nice to see him back, nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is so nostalgic for me. I still remember seeing the Sonic balloon at a pre-parade event and fangasming when I saw the costumed Sonic waving at the crowd because I thought he was real( don't laugh, I was only five at the time).

Good thing they're using the modern Sonic with his green contact lenses this time. He won't be mistaking random lamp posts for checkpoints anymore.

Edited by BatGuy
  • Thumbs Up 5

I think I might tune into the parade just to see this. Another big moment in Sonic's history. Gotta appreciate this stuff.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_at_the_Macy_s_Thanksgiving_Day_Parade.jpg

Hm. I think I know where SEGA got the inspiration for their "Sonic's mouth always has to face the camera" idea.

Okay, that just creeps me out. O_O

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to my aunt's house on Thanksgiving. I won't be able to watch the parade. D: I hope somebody records it and put it on youtube.

My friend wants to actually go to the parade. I refuse, I mean... that place is my job. I just can't!

But I won't pass it up on TV. :)

Ah, the Macy's parade. I remember hearing about the poor Sonic balloon and the evil lamppost. I didn't see it at the time, since I was born a year later, but I saw the footage quite a while back. That lamppost was totally a Robotnik creation. It had to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

In NYC, I decided to drop by the spot where they blow up the balloons. There were tons of regular balloons there, like Buzz Lightyear, Spongebob, etc. Now i'm there with my little cousin, showing her all the balloons, when the Sonic one came up.

I just smiled, looking at Sonic while my cousin tugged on my shirt whispering "It's Sonic!" We both just smiled, until I heard someone scream a bit, and yell "OMG It's Sonic!" Suddenly out of nowhere I heard tons of people going like "Sonic, I can't believe it's him."

I thought it was cute how everyone was reacting to Sonic being in the parade, much less the fact that so many people remember him.

(P.S. NEVER let someome with bad memory park your car in the city. You will regret it.)

• Thumbs Up 4

In NYC, I decided to drop by the spot where they blow up the balloons. There were tons of regular balloons there, like Buzz Lightyear, Spongebob, etc. Now i'm there with my little cousin, showing her all the balloons, when the Sonic one came up.

I just smiled, looking at Sonic while my cousin tugged on my shirt whispering "It's Sonic!" We both just smiled, until I heard someone scream a bit, and yell "OMG It's Sonic!" Suddenly out of nowhere I heard tons of people going like "Sonic, I can't believe it's him."

I thought it was cute how everyone was reacting to Sonic being in the parade, much less the fact that so many people remember him.

(P.S. NEVER let someome with bad memory park your car in the city. You will regret it.)

As far as the broadcast on tv, did they showoff the Sonic balloon yet and talk about it. I just caught the show around 9:05, and all they are showing now are bands and stuff

Edit: They did show glimpses of the balloon though. ^-^

Edited by the blu blur

cracrapcrap, it's 9:30 did I miss him!? @_@

sigh...it seems like it. Man, why did they had to change the format to showing the balloons. I thought the balloons were shown later, not all at once at the start!

Always at my expense, do things change. T-T

Still watch it though, it may show up again. I know they showed glimpses of him twice.

Edited by the blu blur

Watchin da parade. And Sonic was in the opening a lot, I was surprised, he was even mentioned in the opening narration.

2011 is such a good damn year for Sonic.

EDIT: Lol Splash Hill Zone music for Sonic.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 3

my br said he didn't miss him. Ya, thanks for being mr. superior, you lil twat.

Yeah, I'm watching it anyways... just in case...

Come on, He's Sonic! He always shows up twice...