Awoo.

Should we just change Sonic 4: Episode II to Sonic 5?

Milo

Personally, I think it's a pretty good idea. If Episode II was a standalone Sonic game and was renamed to Sonic the Hedgehog 5, it wouldn't be held back by it's current episodic form (in fact, if possible, it could even become a full retail release!) nor it's order to maintain it's consistency with Sonic 4: Episode 1. Especially considering Generations's classic Sonic gameplay, which pretty much asks "What could Sonic 4: Episode II do that Generations didn't have or couldn't do better?"

Things that could change:

- Physics build

- Artstlye

- Content (level of zones/level design, playable characters, etc.)

Additionally, we wouldn't have to left hanging on a thread to hear Sonic Team's word on whether they would try to continue the "Sonic 4 episodic saga," nor would it have to continue Sonic 4's story arc (if anything, it could even retcon it somehow).

Last, but not least, starting anew could just end this entire Sonic 4 fiasco.

Discuss.

We could just have a game called "Sonic The Hedgehog 4", having the original Sonic 4 Ep1's levels, plus 6 or 7 new zones, using the Sonic Generations Classic engine (with physics tweaks). To me that would redeem everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

We could just have a game called "Sonic The Hedgehog 4", having the original Sonic 4 Ep1's levels, plus 6 or 7 new zones, using the Sonic Generations Classic engine (with physics tweaks). To me that would redeem everything.

Sonic Team said that they were going to use the same engine throughout the episodes to maintain consistency. -_-

This is coming from the people who made Sonic suddenly having his belly shrunk, gaining taller legs and quills, and green irises within seconds after they left Angel Island.

That doesn't mean they can't change the physics.

This.

They modified Rush's engine for Classic Sonic in History of the First Stage, why shouldn't they be able to do that for Sonic 4 Ep 2? :U

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry I couldn't pay attention to what I was going to say. hentai's avatar threw me waaaay off.

• Thumbs Up 7

Absolutely not. Just like Sonic 4 had to live up to Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles, Sonic 5 would also have to live up to those. It would feel too far removed from Sonic 4, as if saying "Hey we screwed up so completely forget that happened." Playing it, at least I think, people will expect the quality of the Genesis games more than if it were named Sonic 4.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 is a name that will keep Sonic 4 in the players mind, though. Instead of comparing it to the classic games, people will compare it to its prequel. It wouldn't have such high expectations, so it would appear better. It's similar reasoning for why people were more impressed with Colors since it came after a streak of terrible (and one decent) games, while Generations seems to get more criticism because it was competing with Colors.

Of course I'm making a few generalizations and all generalizations are false, including this one. But I'm confident saying that for the most part, people will have lower expectations for the game if it's named Sonic 4.

Basically until Sonic Team proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that they understand what made the classic games so good, I wouldn't trust them with making a game that deserve the title Sonic 5.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't give a shit what it's called. If calling it "Sonic 5" allows them to make changes that they can't make in S4E2, then go for it. If not, I don't give a shit.

So....

Sonic 1. A good game.

Sonic 2. A great game.

Sonic 3 & K. A great game.

Sonic 4 (Episode 1) The side of over cooked broccoli next to the main dish of the classics.

Sonic 5: ??

Edited by Mephiles550

This.

They modified Rush's engine for Classic Sonic in History of the First Stage, why shouldn't they be able to do that for Sonic 4 Ep 2? :U

Source, please?

• 3 weeks later...

The game is playable. Its physics may not be momentum-based but it's an entirely playable platform game with Sonic's tropes. It will be cool if they improve the physics to make everybody happy but it should also be consistent, I would say that much, so if they do change the physics it'd be nice to have it come with a patch for Ep 1, otherwise there'll be that jarring change in gameplay when you want to replay Ep 1 levels or if you want to 'lock on' and play the game through from start to finish.

We all act like every Sonic game had perfect physics... S4's are certainly better than that in a lot of the Game Gear Sonic games, and Sonic CD's physics were somewhat rigid too. We got our momentum-based sequel in Generations, I want to let them see what they can do with Sonic 4 Ep 2's levels, S4 is much more about great platforming and level design than it is about physics.

And to link into the topic, no, I definitely I don't think it should be called Sonic 5. As FFWF says, Sonic 4, while currently just a nostalgic rehash, can still become a great platform game, better physics or not.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now that I've heard about Sonic Gen 3DS's physics for classic Sonic (which apparently use the same engine) and how they are a lot more momentum based than both Sonic 4 and Sonic Gen HD, I guess there's still some hope for Epi. II then.

• Thumbs Up 1

The way I see it, if they call Ep 1 'Sonic 4' and Ep 2 onwards 'Sonic 5' then we're stuck with a Sonic 4, that's Sonic the Hedgehog 4....that was pretty crap.

On the hand, if they keep going with Sonic 4, there's still a chance to save the name with the future instalments and make it a great game overall. I still want to save Sonic 4.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention that Sega can't go back in time and change Episode 1's name, so we'll be stuck with an incomplete installment in both name and content.

IIRC, Sega said the reason they went with the Episodic format was so that they could fix problems fans had with previous episodes. It'd feel like they were going back on their words if they suddenly scrapped the future episodes because of some fan complaints.

Edited by Gamerguy21
  • Thumbs Up 1

The way I see it, if they call Ep 1 'Sonic 4' and Ep 2 onwards 'Sonic 5' then we're stuck with a Sonic 4, that's Sonic the Hedgehog 4....that was pretty crap.

On the hand, if they keep going with Sonic 4, there's still a chance to save the name with the future instalments and make it a great game overall. I still want to save Sonic 4.

Edited by The Joiner!