Awoo.

Planet Wisp annoys me.

TheDanimator

Does anyone else feel this way?

The very first (non side scrolling) part is so freeking awesome and beautiful

then all of the sudden the stage turns into an irritation fest where everything is out for your blood.

It just feels stressful to play and its even more upsetting because of how awesome the first part is.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved the hell out of it. I was afraid i would be dissapointed since i loved the Colours version so much. But no, it was really fun. Classic Sonic's stage felt like a real nice final stage together with the length and the music.

• Thumbs Up 1

I loved both of them. Modern took me about fifteen minutes to beat because I spent so much time running around the forest.

Also: It's the last level and you don't expect to be stressed? Really?

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 8

Sorry, I didnt clarify, im talking specifically about modern sonic.

I just wish the stage was mostly behind the back style.

Haha that sounded wrong.

To me, Planet Wisp Act 2 feels like the core Generations team were working on the first minute and a half of the stage, then after that they ran out of time and had to outsource it to the Colours dev team. It's just a totally drastic change in gameplay, they don't even really feel like part of the same game, much less the same stage.

It feels more like another Classic stage than a Modern one, really.

• Thumbs Up 4

I loved both of them. Modern took me about fifteen minutes to beat because I spent so much time running around the forest.

Also: It's the last level and you don't expect to be stressed? Really?

Edited by TheDanimator

Its my favorite stage in the game. It may have been mostly 2D but it was good enough that I didn't even mind

Planet Wisp for me is one of the best stages i have experienced.

I really love both acts. I'd like to see more forest for Both Sonics but i understand that it's a final stage so they gave it the machinery make over. The platforming in the stage, the place of the enemies and the traps reminds me a lot of Metropolis zone in Sonic 2.

Difficult yet SUPER satisfying!

I'd have preferred Act 2 I think if the 2D didn't come in until after the quick step bit, and the first construction site part being in 3D, so it's all 3D up to the tower. It would have made the 3D/2D split much less jarring.

Did you even read what I said?

The forest part is the part I wish there was MORE OF.

No, I dont expect to be stressed out playing a video game.

Maybe tense, or on the edge of my seat, but it shouldnt annoy me.

Did you read what I said? I said I loved both stages; meaning, you know, I loved both stages. Including the latter half of both.

And never, ever, ever play Demons/Dark Souls.

I actually like it. It's probably the only level which felt like a challenge to S Rank. I just wish there was more focus on the forest section, I adored it.

Both Planet Wisps were easy as shit. I liked the modern one but it has way too much 2D, and classic's act had the very annoying spike wisp at literally every corner so I don't care about it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just so I'm clear, you guys do know you can cancel the spike wisp at any time with Y/Triangle right? I don't think the puzzles are really that tough or drawn out at all...and some of those things are not even required

I like Act 2, but the amount of 2D sections really bothered me. I guess had it been a normal level I would have been okay with it, but this is the last level of the game and it Modern's level just felt sort of like a well-designed Classic level. It's too bad because it could have been a really awesome stage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Let me elaborate better.

I dont ABSOLUTELY despise the 2d section, it has SOME fun stuff.

But the forest part just felt SO AWESOME.

It was a bum out when it was gone so fast.

I don't see why people conplain about it. A level can't always be "smooth" its like the last level, it should be hard. Many previous last levels of Sonic, were always out to get you. Planet Wisp was beautiful, and challenging just like how I like my games on the last level's to be lol.

Did you read what I said? I said I loved both stages; meaning, you know, I loved both stages. Including the latter half of both.

And never, ever, ever play Demons/Dark Souls.

The reason I questioned if you read what I said is because I thought you would of said something along the lines of

"I can see where your coming from though because I loved the forest part"

And I never assumed you didnt like any part of the stage.

And dammit, im not complaining about the difficutly. Lol.

Im complaining about how frustrating it is.

Edited by TheDanimator

My best time (non decent speed run) on Modern Planet Wisp was about 5 minutes. I could easily improve these though. Honestly the only frustrations I'm getting are due to me not reacting quickly enough or not me trying to execute a good jump to keep on the high route.

Though I agree with Sean in the sense that Modern could've had more 3D (only the beginning and that quick step section were 3D) and Classic could've had a lesser focus on the Spike Wisp (as enjoyable as it is). I still had an absolute blast with Planet Wisp. The first bit allowed me to admire the beauty. The second allowed me to test my skills.

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

The reason I questioned if you read what I said is because I thought you would of said something along the lines of

"I can see where your coming from though because I loved the forest part"

And I never assumed you didnt like any part of the stage.

And dammit, im not complaining about the difficutly. Lol.

Im complaining about how frustrating it is.

I actually kind of see what you mean. It's not that hard as such, but sometimes it gets pretty annoying. It's more long than actually difficult. In terms of Modern levels, I'd say Crisis City is the hardest (but I love it so, partly for this reason). The carts on the tower bit were a nice idea, and as I said before it would be less jarring if the tower was the only 2D bit, rather than the last part of the forest and first construction area. Might have balanced it out, as that's like what Crisis City did, having like half 3D, then half 2D, then a 3D finale.

Oh and the tower bit should have had some awesome payoff instead of just the goal ring. I mean it's a great level overall, but I can see why people prefer other levels, like I also do.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I think of Classic Planet Wisp as a spiritual Metropolis Zone 2011. It's got that incredibly devious level design, but without 3 acts to destroy you with.

I think it's a great way to make the level with the most peaceful music in it's origin become the most painful and dangerous level in the roster, especially since it's the final set of levels in the game.

But yeah, I was definitely frustrated playing it. But once you play it a few more times, especially when red ring hunting, it's a lot easier to navigate. Dunno if I'd play it casually, though.

I totally agree. Shadow is simply not the same since- oh wait, this isn't about Shadow?

In that case, I love Planet Wisp. It's the only Classic stage that has more slopes than annoying blocky platforming, and for Modern it's got 2D sections done right. The only problem is that there's too much 2D.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

The excess of 2D in Planet Wisp Act 2 didn't bother me nearly as much as the 2D in Crisis City Act 2 did. The original Planet Wisp had a ton of 2D in it, after all, so the Generations version works as a nice tribute to what made Colours unique. That's not to say that more 3D would have been a bad thing, but I don't have much of an issue with the level as it is. I especially like that the level ended in a low-key 2D segment as though it was a secondary act from Colours; it really made the act feel different from anything else in the game. It's not my favourite modern level in the game or anything, but I definitely like it a lot.

Act 1's kind of a different story, though. The Pink Spike is my least favourite Wisp by a huge margin, so making an entire level a maze full of places where you need to use Spike to get by was a surefire way to earn my apathy. It's not actually bad, and I do like that it felt a bit Scrap Brain-like, but it still ranks near the bottom for me in terms of classic levels.

I don't mind a lot of 2D, but it does bother me just because it's modern's final stage. I wanted some kind of rollercoaster-ride-esque reward for reaching the top of the tower, but nope, goal ring, done, etc.

To compare:

Sonic Adventure 2's Falling Debris Chase/Water Slide

Sonic Heroes' narrowly avoiding a focking giant laser about to blow you to shit

Sonic Colours' Freefall through rapidly opening doors/final explosion escape

^ That is how you end a FINAL level in a Sonic game. Not weakly jumping on a couple of floating platforms up into a goal ring.

• Thumbs Up 5

Planet Wisp was one of the few terrible stages if you asked me, I could not stand it. Sort of the same reaction I had to it in Colours actually.