Awoo.

How Does Generations Compare to Your Other Favourite Sonic Games?

Your Vest Friend

My list:

1. Sonic 3&K

2. Sonic 2

3. Sonic CD

4. Sonic Generations

5. Sonic Colors

6. Sonic 1

7. Sonic Adventure 2

8. Sonic Heroes

9. Shadow the Hedgehog (deal with it)

10. Knuckles's Chaotix

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFanPhase2

1. S3k

2. Sonic 1

3. Sonic CD

4. Sonic generations

5. Sonic 2

6. Sonic colors

Edited by Djawed

I think this doesn't qualify as a plain old 'list':

Of course, I'm just talking about the main series here.

Classic Era:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. (To be honest, this is only Genesis Sonic that I've actually played for more than 45 minutes...I feel ashamed.)

Sonic 2. (I've only played a little bit of this, despite the fact that I have Mega Collection. But it introduced Tails, one of my favorite characters.)

Modern + Dreamcast Era:

Sonic Adventure 2. (I actually liked the mechs and most of the hunting levels...except Mad Space and Security Hall. Sonic and Shadow levels still beat the others by far.)

Sonic Generations. (Most fun I've had with a Sonic game since Unleashed and Sonic Adventure 2...I'm not sure yet, I'm thinking whether or not to replace Generations as my favorite Sonic game.)

Sonic Adventure 1. (I never bothered with the Chao Garden here, but I liked all the gameplay...and I was able to tolerate Big's fishing stages. The only reason for that is that most of them could be finished in about 1-3 minutes.)

Shadow the Hedgehog. (This was fun to play, but I don't see myself playing it in full ever again.)

Sonic Unleashed. (Tied with Shadow.)

Sonic Colors. (I got bored with this somewhere around the halfway point-- NOT because of the story--...I still played it all the way through though. The Final boss was worth it, I guess.)

Sonic Heroes. (Got bored after Team Sonic's and Team Dark's story...some of those badniks are just downright brutal. Particularly the big metal one with the helmet in Final Fortress. >.<)

Looking back at this, Generations is easily one of best Sonic games that I've played in a while. I can't say that I've been entirely happy with the Unleashed formula, but Generations changed my mind on that. tongue.png

If this is just a plain list, just delete it. XP

Edited by thebluehedgehog

In all honesty, my first impressions of Generations so far (Just started playing it earlier, need to do the last quarter of the game.) Is...not so great.

Green Hill was nice, but it was the first stage, and I had practiced in the demo. Chemical Plant was a bit annoying with it's enemy placement. --Oh, you'll be hearing a lot of things with enemy placement here.-- But it was still pretty fun for both Hedgehogs.

Sky Sanctuary is a nice stage...until I get to Modern Sonic's race against his double.

I mean, I'm already under the stress of having to finish before someone else, why the hell do I need a goddamn time limit to lower my rank after a set period? I feel like it was simply annoying to try and get an S Rank while also going through the stage quickly with very few hiccups in order to win the race. (I'm still trying to S Rank this fucking mission, by far the most annoying...I hope.)

Compared to other games in the series, the controls are adequate.. But they are nothing to write home about at all.

Modern Sonic feels like a cow when trying to turn him at lower speeds, or trying to turn him while in the air. The homing attack doesn't help when there are targets close by. I had a set of rails near me, and a ledge, and a spike pit. Sonic attempted to dash to the rail, clipped on the ledge, and fell in the goddamn spike pit.

Not to mention some of the missions seem a little annoying to S Rank, and I feel absolutely cheated by how I missed an S Rank by 7 fucking milliseconds. Some of the music or stuff I get doesn't feel worth it of trying to complete them well.

And the difficulty spike is extremely noticeable to me; GH, CP, and SC all steadily got more open and more difficult. Then we have Speed Highway, which feels like a more extreme level and it and City Escape should have switched places.

Classic City Escape was a pain in the ass. Not only did Classic Sonic feel to slow to stand a chance of getting to the highest routes against that God-Forsaken truck, but here his jump feels the heaviest for no reason. And the enemy placement, the enemy placement. I can't stand when I'm trying to jump on the ledge where that blasted robot is in the way, has a perfect shot, and I have very little time to make a move. (This happens in Chemical Plant too) And sometimes I have the luck to be damaged by one landing on the ground when leaving the truck of hell. Wonderful.

Sky Sanctuary's branching 3D paths would be great if I could fucking get to them. Sometimes I feel like it isn't my fault, either because the jump is way to weighty for Modern Sonic too, or the camera is on such a straight angle can't get the right perspective to determine my jumps. It's a real pain when trying to take all the high paths and do a good speed run.

I like Sonic games that I can pick up and play, if it takes me a little practice, I should be enjoying the time I'm trying to practive, and Generations is a mixed bag sided with the negative for me, unfortunately.

I don't know, maybe I'll give it a Month, but as of now Generations is on my Mixed Bag/Negative list.

Anyways, I'm sleepy, I'm annoyed at this game at the moment, I'm gonna S Rank this stupid Mission and go to bed.

My list goes like this:

1- Sonic Generations:

Probably the only Sonic game where I had fun with all the stages (Classic Planet Wisp was kinda frustrating but after getting used to the Pink Wisp it is fun), lots of collectibles, two ways to play the game, good system of skills and much more.

I usually don't care much about the story so yeah.

2- Sonic Adventure:

Before Generations this one was the masterpiece of Sonic Team for me.

I liked the story, many characters to use, awesome music, cool final boss and you could even play old Sonic games in it.

The only things I didn't like about it was the lack of Super Sonic in regular stages and Big the Cat stages.

3- Sonic Unleashed:

Hated by many but loved by me.

The first version of Unleashed I played was the PS2 version and I loved it, then I played the PS3 version some months ago and guess what? I loved it even more.

The cool stages and the awesome sence of speed sold it to me.

The Werehog stages where OK for me and I really didn't like the way of getting the cutscenes and artwork but yeah.

Edited by Tmsp

1) Sonic 3&K

2) Sonic 2

3) Sonic Generations

4) Sonic Colours

5) Sonic Adventure 2

6) Sonic CD

7) Sonic Advance

8) Sonic Rush Adventure

9) Sonic 1

10) Sonic Advance 3/Sonic Rush

OMG no Sonic Adventure on my list? What heinous crime have I committed?

But in all seriousness, it would probably be 12th just after Sonic Unleashed. I think Adventure 1, whilst highly enjoyable, is extremely overrated and has aged abysmally. Controls are slippery, jump is insanely floaty, Spindash is very overpowered and whilst it allows for a great amount of freedom of movement, it also allows for some crazy sequence breaking which wrecks some level design. Not to mention the dialogue and voice acting are total garbage (I only enjoyed Gamma's story, which is easily the best developed in the game), the character battles are a total joke and (as one last side criticism) the Chao Garden is nowhere near as good as SA2's. I played and enjoyed SA2 a lot more and for a lot longer.

Anyways, about my decisions:

S3&K at number one because it is pure platforming bliss. Almost every level is extremely enjoyable to play (except Sandopolis imo), fantastically designed and very memorable. Tails and Knuckles help to spice up gameplay, the special stages don't require crazy memorisation, and of course you got those smexy Classic physics.

Sonic 2 only just below S3&K, only let down by its poor enemy placements (THOSE GODDAMN SLICERS!!!!) and very difficult special stages. Otherwise it has some of my favourite music in the series, some of my favourite level designs, still has those beautiful physics and extremely enticing and addictive gameplay, beautifully crafted package overall. Oh and it has Tails...

Sonic Generations reaches a very respectable third place. Where it loses out in originality of level concepts and storyline depth, it wins in having some of the best level design in series ever, as well as having the best controls in a 3D Sonic game and having glorious aesthetic design and an amazing soundtrack. Whilst there is room for improvement, it's an absolutely fantastic game and both Classic and Modern Sonic are an absolute joy to play with a ton of replayability.

Sonic Colours is 4th since it's my 2nd favourite 3D Sonic game. The control and level design aren't quite as good as Generations', not to mention there aren't a lot of 3D elements, but the 2D stuff is amazing and the level design is still very vast. The Wisps are a fantastic addition and extremely fun to use, the soundtrack is fantastic and the level tropes are diverse and amazing. And of course, Super Sonic being playable for the first time ever in a 3D Sonic game in levels was totally awesome. Shame about the bosses being lame though.

SA2 for 5th since it improved upon the first in almost every way (though the Emerald hunting missions got worse due to the radar being worse). Better controls, better physics, the additional characters weren't as annoying as they were in SA1 (in SA1 Tails was broken, Amy was slow and monotonous, and Big was.....well Big. Gamma and Knuckles were pretty good though), much MUCH better story and dialogue and overall much better presentation.

Sonic CD for 6th mainly because of how beautiful it looks, the Super Peel-Out, the Past/Future mechanic and Metal Sonic. However, sometimes the level design can get really dizzying and too crazy. This is one of the few Sonic games where my eyes actually kind of hurt from watching it in motion. Also, shame about the spindash getting nerfed for (as far as I can see) no reason.

Sonic Advance in 7th because it's my favourite handheld Sonic game. Whilst the physics don't replicate the Genesis physics, the concepts and level designs do, whilst adding fresh level quirks and a modern coat of paint. It was just the right level of difficulty in my opinion, and had just the right balance of speed, platforming and exploration (unlike its sequel).

Sonic Rush Adventure in 8th because its better than its sequel in basically every way. I even found using the ships pretty fun at times. I'm one of those people that is a fan of the Rush series. It offers such an intense sensation of adrenaline pumping speed as well as some great level gimmicks and some of the best boss battles in the Sonic series. The only real thing that I didn't like about this one comparative to the first was the Special Stages. The first Rush had much cooler ones in my opinion.

Sonic 1 for 9th. Why so low? Because despite being such an iconic game, it's completely overshadowed by literally every other Genesis game that came after it. Whilst it's very enjoyable, it seems almost basic comparative to those games, and there were some levels that just made the pace rocket to a grinding halt and as a result just weren't as fun (I'm looking at you Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone) and some of the platforming gimmicks weren't as interesting as they are in later Sonic games. Still, it's a classic.

Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Rush 1 tied for 10th. Advance 3 was pretty good. Similar reasons to Advance 1, but I dislike the team mechanic. Some teams just exploit massive holes in the level design (*cough* Tails/Knuckles *cough*), whilst others just aren't worth using at all (Amy is a rubbish team member unless paired with Cream for example). Still very enjoyable though. Rush basically has similar versions to its sequel but to a lesser extent. Not to mention that some levels had some really dickish bottomless pits. I don't see how someone could complain so much about the Generations bottomless pits, yet not complain about the ones in Rush which literally is a game centred around "boost to win". Slapping a bottomless pit in front of you that, unless you've played through the levels multiple times, you wouldn't be able to really avoid and react to just seems unfair.

But that's just my two cents. How I love the Sonic series <3

Well...

1) Sonic 3 & Knuckles

2) Sonic 2

3) Sonic Generations

4) Sonic Colors

5) Sonic the Hedgehog (the one with that title that didn't suck)

Now those five are all so good they've each had the number one spot in my mind when playing them. I know the first game should be higher, but it hasn't aged as well without the spin-dash. Now for the good, not great:

6) Sonic Adventure

7) Sonic Heroes (so sue me)

8) Knuckles Chaotix

9) Sonic Adventure 2

10) Sonic Rush

11) Sonic Advance 3 (can't believe everyone else hates the companion system)

12) Sonic Rush Adventure

And so on...until:

LAST) Sonic the Hedgehog (the suckage)

Yeah I'm just going to start deleting list posts that don't talk about its content from now on if that's okay with you guys. Any offending posts I see after my initial warning on this page gets wiped.

Of the 3D games:

Adventure 1/2 > Unleashed > Generations > Heroes > Colors >>>>>>> 06 >= Shadow

At the end of the day, it's just too damn short. I've just about gotten every achievement for it, and I've had the game for not even two weeks. It's a lot of fun, but it just doesn't have the longevity to push it up any higher.

At the end of the day, it's just too damn short. I've just about gotten every achievement for it, and I've had the game for not even two weeks. It's a lot of fun, but it just doesn't have the longevity to push it up any higher.

But...Adventure 1 was also short and had even less replay value :/

Well, anyway, it's definitely up there, but I think I prefer Sonic CD just a little bit. Sure, Generations is good great awesome outstanding AMAZING, but CD is a lot more innovative and unique even in the context of the franchise. Funnily enough, I actually love CD for a lot of the reasons some people don't like it: the more labyrinthine level design that encourages backtracking and past/future warping in particular, and haters gonna hate, but the US soundtrack is awesome. (Not saying the JP soundtrack isn't, of course). I may change my mind eventually, but yeah, still considering CD to be my favorite.

If I were to make a top ten...

1) Sonic CD

2) Sonic Generations

3) Sonic 3 & Knuckles

4) Sonic Colors

5) Sonic 2

6) Sonic Adventure 2

7) Sonic Adventure

8) Sonic Advance/Sonic Rush

9) Sonic 1

10) Sonic Advance 3

True I can beat all the characters and get all 130 emblems within a week and all the Genesis games that people seem to love so much are even shorter then that. I have Generations for almost two weeks and only unlocked half of the acheivements.

Edited by sonfan1984

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3/Sonic & Knuckles

This game is absolutely brilliant. It has amazing level design, fantastic zones, and an awesome storyline. Almost 15 years later it's still the gold standard for Sonic games, as far as I'm concerned

2. Sonic Generations

SG has a brilliant concept, beautiful graphics, and what I believe are the best designed 3D levels the series has ever seen. The 2D levels are equally well designed and being able to have layered paths is something very cool that wasn't really possible back in the Genesis days. That being said, the story is a massive missed opportunity and Classic Sonic's physics still aren't perfect.

3. Sonic Rush

I may not like Dimps anymore and feel that they are basically the exact opposite of "digital innovators" but I love Sonic Rush. This was a really fun game when it came out and I still love it. To me, this is actually much closer to a true Sonic 4 than Sonic 4 is.

Sonic Generations isn't in my top... It IS my top! :D

Seriously though, it's pretty short, but I haven't had an non-fun second with it...

Sonic Generations isn't in my top... It IS my top! biggrin.png

Seriously though, it's pretty short, but I haven't had an non-fun second with it...

Just wait for the VS Vector mission

Personally it took me longer to get all 250 gamerscore on Sonic Adventure DX on XBLA than it did to get 1000G on Sonic Generations, and I know SA1 inside out!

I don't know what game you were playing, but I was well into a week with the game and I hadn't nearly completed everything. But I'm here talking about the DX version which has TONS of stuff to do after the main campaign which usually takes me two days at least, unless I sit there and play it for like twelve hours straight.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what game you were playing, but I was well into a week with the game and I hadn't nearly completed everything. But I'm here talking about the DX version which has TONS of stuff to do after the main campaign which usually takes me two days at least, unless I sit there and play it for like twelve hours straight.

Yup, generations is like 1/6 of Sonic Adventure length. Maybe even 1/8.

That's because Generations doesn't have as much unnecessary padding.

Personally it took me longer to get all 250 gamerscore on Sonic Adventure DX on XBLA than it did to get 1000G on Sonic Generations, and I know SA1 inside out!

Then I guess I'm way better at the game then you are because it only took me a week then I have to turn around and do the same thing for my brother's account. :\

Also, I'm talking about the Dreamcast version which didn't have all those extra missions and I play the DC version a lot more then the DX port.

The Dreamcast version, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Generations are about the same lenght. Sonic has the most stages while the other characters has 5 stages or less and they need a lot of lenghty cutscenes (THAT YOU CAN'T EVEN SKIP BTW) to make them seem longer.

Edited by sonfan1984

I don't see how Generations is 1/6 or 1/8 of Generations, the only things to do after the main story (wich is very short without Sonic's story) is getting the Emblems (that can be compared to Generations missions), playing with the Chao Tamagochi thing or just playing the bad ports of classic games.

Edited by Tmsp

Gameplay wise, Sonic Generations tops every Sonic game outside of Sonic Colors, but this is plainly because I found Classic Sonic's mobility to be abyssmal. If C-Sonic's aerial mobility wasn't so tight it'd be at the top of the list.

As an overall package though, I'm gonna have to stick with SA2:B. It's a more fulfilling game. Getting S-ranks on all missions were great, raising my Chao to become a badass adds on tons of replay value, and there has yet to be a storyline as enticing as SA2's outside of Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1