Awoo.

How Does Generations Compare to Your Other Favourite Sonic Games?

Your Vest Friend

SA1:

Sonic's story: 2 Hours

Tails Story: 1 Hour

Knuckles' Story 1.5 Hours

Amy's story: 1 Hour

Gamma's story: 1 hour

Big's story: 0.5 Hours

Final Story: 3 minutes

Total: 7 Hrs 3 minutes.

Time I enjoyed: 4.5 Hours 3 minutes.

Yeah, SA1 was short. The DX version doesn't count because it was a re-release containing extra features. I'm talking the original. You can compare Generations to SADX when a re-release of the former with extra features comes out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still don't quite understand why people love Adventure and DX so much. SA2 and SA2B, sure, but not really Adventure and DX. Sure, it was the first 3D Sonic game and as a result it holds a place in people's hearts but I really don't think it deserves some of the praise it gets sometimes. It wasn't even "revolutionary" at the time like Mario 64 was, it was just good and it's aged horribly.

I can't say I agree with you on that. Big the cat was annoying sometimes, but other characters are just fine. I enjoyed playing as them very much.

Meh. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

I guess the crux of what I'm saying is that while Adventure may have had a longer main game, but most of it felt like padding.I feel that Generations has a higher replayability factor.

Yeah, I think you're right about tastes.

Though I don't think generations has higher replayability factor. The levels do have alternate paths but they can be seen from the start unlike in adventure, where there are a hell lot of hidden shortcuts you can use using spindash or some other things. Much more interesting to find these, I think.

*cough glitching with spindash *cough*

I was mainly talking about the extra missions, red rings, and grades.

yeah, I loved that. Glitching with spindashing is awesome happy.png!

I think collecting all medals and perfecting levels was much more interesting. At least there was a REAL challenge back then. Now Sonic games are too easy but that's the problem of the whole gaming industry now. ah good old times of Castlevania on NES..Well, it was too hard, but still.

SA1:

Sonic's story: 2 Hours

Tails Story: 1 Hour

Knuckles' Story 1.5 Hours

Amy's story: 1 Hour

Gamma's story: 1 hour

Big's story: 0.5 Hours

Final Story: 3 minutes

Total: 7 Hrs 3 minutes.

Time I enjoyed: 4.5 Hours 3 minutes.

Yeah, SA1 was short. The DX version doesn't count because it was a re-release containing extra features. I'm talking the original. You can compare Generations to SADX when a re-release of the former with extra features comes out.

You forgot the story. it was really interesting to follow so I didn't even think about skipping the cutscenes and there were many of them so the game is not so short as you think it is. Well, if you only play levels [a lot of them were longer than Generations or Colors levels btw], maybe, but counting the story...

Edited by ArtFenix

yeah, I loved that. Glitching with spindashing is awesome happy.png!

I think collecting all medals and perfecting levels was much more interesting. At least there was a REAL challenge back then. Now Sonic games are too easy but that's the problem of the whole gaming industry now. ah good old times of Castlevania on NES..Well, it was too hard, but still.

Yeah, I'll find my alternate routes and do speedruns legitimately thank you very much.

Yeah, I'll find my alternate routes and do speedruns legitimately thank you very much.

Well, that wasn't all about glitches. For example, Emerald coast. In the beginning of the level you use spindash and jump to skip that springs segment. Such kind of shortcuts were there even since the classic Sonic games where you could do the exact same thing to jump higher and for a longer distance. And when I was talking about shortcuts in adventure, first of all I meant exactly that.

Edited by ArtFenix

You forgot the story. it was really interesting to follow so I didn't even think about skipping the cutscenes and there were many of them so the game is not so short as you think it is. Well, if you only play levels [a lot of them were longer than Generations or Colors levels btw], maybe, but counting the story...

I'm averaged out gameplay time and cutscene time.

If we're talking purely gameplay, cut about 15-ish minutes out the length per story (maybe more). Time spent watching characters talk to each other does not constitute as gameplay time.

SA1 was a really short game. I still loved it (mostly), but its length isn't what made it appealing. It was just a satisfactory experience. Its not better than Generations because it was longer, no it was better because it had a more involving (albeit horribly written) plot and entirely new levels. Yeah, Generations is a compilation, I can't fault it from that. However because of its derivative nature, I hold it in its own little league. Its not main-series, nor is it spin-off. Its...Generations.

• Thumbs Up 3

I will also say that Sonic Adventure was just about the first video game I ever played (the first console game at least), so I actually found it kinda difficult when I first played it, and it took me much longer to beat it. Trying to maintain a more objective viewpoint, I still think it's a longer game. The cutscenes do count towards it being longer (although it obviously isn't gameplay time), but the story is one of the major reasons I also look at Sonic Adventure more favorably than Generations.

Also, I think it would have made Generations long enough had they simply made it an actual challenge to get S ranks. I S-ranked half of the stages my first time through them, and got the other half the first time I went through them while not looking for red rings (and even got some S ranks while looking for red rings). One of the achievements is to clear classic Green Hill Zone in under a minute. I think my best time before I set out to get that achievement was around 2:30, and it was still an S. To get the achievement, I actually had to search out the shortest routes and spin dash a lot. Had they made getting S ranks require a similar level of effort, the game would probably have lasted me closer to a month than 2 weeks. Even Adventure's A emblems were more difficult than the S ranks in Generations.

The big thing that stops Generations from being able to compare so well with other Sonic games is it's engine. The game is brilliant fun, but it's so fucking automated. Everything has it's own specific script. I feel like I'm being told how to play the game, and when I try to play it my way the control is taken away. Things can be masked okay-ish in the Modern gameplay, but for Classic it's just bad.There's not been a Sonic game in years that I've been able to play as I would want to play a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

The big thing that stops Generations from being able to compare so well with other Sonic games is it's engine. The game is brilliant fun, but it's so fucking automated. Everything has it's own specific script. I feel like I'm being told how to play the game, and when I try to play it my way the control is taken away. Things can be masked okay-ish in the Modern gameplay, but for Classic it's just bad.There's not been a Sonic game in years that I've been able to play as I would want to play a Sonic game.

Wait automated like boost hallways off the wazoo? Because from my experience the game for modern(aside from 1 or 2 levels) Is not really that automated. Classic I find more understandable on certain levels like for me City escape or chemical plant.

Wait automated like boost hallways off the wazoo? Because from my experience the game for modern(aside from 1 or 2 levels) Is not really that automated. Classic I find more understandable on certain levels like for me City escape or chemical plant.

Automated like everything happens a certain way, every time because the game is hard coded for these things to happen.

• Springs- they take away your control and nullify any momentum until you reach a certain height (or in the case of many diagonal ones, until you land) thus meaning they always takes you to the same place.. In the Classic games you kept momentum when you hit them and always had control.
  • Ramps- They always take you off at a set height, angle and speed. There's no freedom.

I'd explain properly, but it's almost 5am and I think I should be sleeping.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm late for the party because I just got the game today. But I love it. When I'm done with it, it likely will take the place of Unleashed as my favorite 3d sonic game.

I have not unlocked Super Sonic yet. When I do, I'm sure I'll agree with the consensus that the Super form has been nerfed. I'm a bit skeptical that the issue will be fixed with downloadable content and I don't have the money to be spending on a gaming computer.

Other than that, I love every bit of it.