Awoo.

Was Generations Rushed?

Badnik Mechanic

This fanbase has never been of a single mind about anything. Nor will it ever be.

-and-

The majority of players and reviewers are wearing big happy grins. Who exactly are you talking about?

-and-

No, it's the self-referential comedy that makes it light-hearted. You have no proof that any part of the story was cut out or removed.

I spend too much time focusing on more negative comments; I wasn't exactly thinking when I was typing this out.

Gosh, this is embarrasing. Seems I already answered most (but not all) of your responses on the first page. To the QuoteMobile!

Whats with the attitude? You said that you were going to prove that it wasn't rushed but polished... yet all you did was say what the game does without addressing the problems that they all cause which could have been solved with more play testing. Thats not a sign of a polished game at all.

The Super Sonic problem alone indicates this much better than others, you can't play many of the stages as super Sonic in full using all his powers because the game restricts him to specific moments due to the increased ring consumption. Surely this should have been noted and altered when/if it was tested? Yet the inclusion feels so bad it's almost like an after thought.

Somewhere during the creation of this game, there had to have been a decision made to say that the ring consuption must increase when you boost as Super Sonic. But the consumption is so great that you need a lot of rings for it to last any significant period of time, so either way you look at it, it doesn't suggest that too much time was taken to get the reward for beating the game right.

Tails IS the voice of the Classic perspective; I don't think he was ever supposed to be Sonic's mute speaking-aid.

Yet there is an interview with Iizuka saying precisely that.

Edited by Hogfather

Whats with the attitude? You said that you were going to prove that it wasn't rushed but polished... yet all you did was say what the game does without addressing the problems that they all cause which could have been solved with more play testing. Thats not a sign of a polished game at all.

The Super Sonic problem alone indicates this much better than others, you can't play many of the stages as super Sonic in full using all his powers because the game restricts him to specific moments due to the increased ring consumption. Surely this should have been noted and altered when/if it was tested? Yet the inclusion feels so bad it's almost like an after thought.

Yet there is an interview with Iizuka saying precisely that.

Sorry about that. Look, I'm happy to agree that Super Sonic needed more playtesting. I'll agree that his new mechanic is an unwelcome change. I'll even agree that intended cutscenes may have been cancelled. But none of that proves that the video game Sonic Generations was rushed to stores before it was finished. And the package we recieved is polished with better gameplay and more content than we've seen in a Sonic game before. Look, even Portal 2 had intended features that were removed from the final product (commentary track for the win), and I'd never call Portal 2 rushed.

Anyway, we could keep arguing, but JezMM said what I was trying to say in fewer words and with all the right ones, so I'm gonna fold here.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's always patches and DLC.

Question is, though, will Sonic Team be like Polyphony Digital and update Generations constantly, even a year after its released? Can they reach the level of motivation that PD has? Or will they just leave it alone?

Honestly, I think they'll just leave it alone. But only time will tell.

No way it was in development for 3 years. Maybe a little bit before colors

I presume there were just less people working on it early on, doing the basics and concepts and as development went on, more manpower came in and helped to finish/substansilise it. Ruby said that the Colors staff went to join Generations Team after they were done.

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 2

I presume there were just less people working on it early on, doing the basics and concepts and as development went on, more manpower came in and helped to finish/substansilise it. Ruby said that the Colors staff went to join Generations Team after they were done.

This is something most people overlook in the development process. When they say "we've been working on this game for three years" that includes everything from the conceptual stage to making it the final product. Game development takes a long time.

On the topic of CGI cutscenes, the launch trailer showed a bit more CGI footage than we'd seen before.

I wonder why none of the CGI cutscenes in the trailers were in the game...

I also pointed out something before in another topic. If you look at the video of the 20th anniversary show with Chemical Plant, Seaside Hill, and Rooftop Run, there's CGI which wasn't used anywhere. Why wasn't this used at all?

Go to 3:21

• Thumbs Up 1

I can only guess all the CGI footage was honest to god just made for the trailers. It's a total cocktease but does happen. =C

• Thumbs Up 5

Do you guys thing sega will explain themselves if there's a fan interview or public interview. I would love to hear them talk about the plot Or the cgi. Or upcoming stuff to make it feel more complete. I don't think it was rushed, Stuff i assume was just left out or taken out.

And about the silver boss battle. I think it could have taken place in castle town. It could start out in the city and you run around it with silver throwing stuff at you. Then you transition into the highway(There was a mission where you were in a highway) And that could play like the boss we have now. And when you beat him a cutscene where you hit him into a tree in the forest area.

Although Kingdom valley or radical highway were also good choices.

Edited by Classic Hedgehogs Boost

We're probably venturing into another topic here, since we could probably get an entire topic going with the missing CG sequences alone, but there is one thing I've noticed about them. Quite a few of them don't seem to have 'endings' they just randomly stop or are cut in odd areas when either the Sonic Generations logo pops up or gameplay footage begins.

Take the rooftop run CG stuff, we first saw that in the Gamescom trailer.

But thats not all of it, compare it to the Tokyo game show broadcast, theres more in that vid, and even then theres bits cut out (you can tell with the CG clip at 0:56 they run into that covered area, then they exit it and are joined by their respected Tails. But even when it cuts off... no way would they end the clip like that would they? You can barely take in whats going on when they end it at that place, so theres got to be a little bit more of that clip knocking around.

Then when you compare the length of that clip to the City Escape clips, you really see a difference, the rooftop run segment is so much longer than the City Escape clips that we have, and again, the City escape stuff seems to have bits missing and cuts out at an odd place... so what happened to the rest of it?

It's never just promotional stuff made in house for trailers? Is it? Well either way... any chance we can get the full clips Sega?

Edit: Anyone wanna try and edit together the CG clips so we can see just how complete they are?

Edited by Hogfather
  • Thumbs Up 2

I wonder what would happen if Sega released the CGI scenes as DLC. ._.

Who knows. Maybe they'll pull a capcom and release Super Sonic Generations! Comes with A bigger story! More CGI! 3 NEW LEVELS! 1 FOR EACH ERA! AND IT'S ONLY 40 BUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 8

Who knows. Maybe they'll pull a capcom and release Super Sonic Generations! Comes with A bigger story! More CGI! 3 NEW LEVELS! 1 FOR EACH ERA! AND IT'S ONLY 40 BUCKS!

Massive trollface by Sega. xD

Some parts of Generations feel rushed and/or poorly designed, but the game as a whole most certainly isn't. If that were the case, there would be way more glitches, loading times, and it's pretty likely the controls would have been worse as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whatever happened to the CG sequences?:

I have a suspicion that they were made for promotional reasons only, mainly due to the fact within the context/mechanics of the game, both Sonics are never in a stage at the same time. I know the cutscene where both Sonics run past Tails near the start suggests otherwise, but consider this. Ignoring the fact we play the acts as different Sonics separately, it's still probably not the case that within the context of the story both Sonics are doing their own stages simultaneously. In fact it seems that both acts of the same stage tell a mini-story in some cases (eg. Rooftop Run : Modern Sonic is bombed with spike barrels by the airship, then Classic Sonic destroys the airship. City Escape : the truck isn't visibly destroyed at the end of Modern Sonic's act, but is clearly trashed at the end of Classic's.)

I'm rambling a bit now, but is this making any sense? I reckon the CG sequences are meant just to showcase the differences in appearance and moves of both Sonics side by side in as little airtime as possible. However the exception to this is the cutscene of the Time Eater's appearance in Green Hill with all 4 characters, that looks like a scene that could be missing from the final game.

Why didn't anyone say "I don't think they need to say that as often as they do," they only needed to say it once, or maybe twice... not every second of the fight!

Maybe someone on the team thought it would be funny/nostalgic/self-referential? It's certainly not the first time we've heard something like this. Some examples :

"Get a load of this!"

"You know what they say, the more the merrier!"

"Hold still, you devil!"

"It's no use! Take this!"

And any quote from Heroes when you switch team mates over and over and over...

But is it not odd that theres this mysterious room where you can unlock stuff... yet theres no mention how to do this in the game? Let alone actually access the room itself?

But it tells you how to access the statue room in the (Euro) manual, so I doubt Sega intended to keep the existence of the room a secret. It's just the codes that they want to keep hidden until they're ready to give them out.

That said however... using modern super sonic in the end of the Green Hill Zone... .. ... how many of you gasped when you saw that hidden scenery?

....wait, what?

I'll have to check this out myself....

EDIT : Tried it, haha, that's awesome! I noticed you don't have to be transformed into Super Sonic, just have the skill equipped and the level changes.

Do any other levels change like this if you have Super Sonic on??

Edited by bigthecat
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd buy it actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what's so hard to believe about the idea that the CGI was only for trailers...

The point is that the old demo files specifically said that CGI was going to be used in the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

The point is that the old demo files specifically said that CGI was going to be used in the story.

Perhaps the CGI in the trailers were originally going to be in Generations, but SEGA took them out for some unknown reason. (Due to the hack?)

Perhaps the CGI in the trailers were originally going to be in Generations, but SEGA took them out for some unknown reason. (Due to the hack?)

I really think that the original story was axed relatively late in development for some reason and there wasn't enough time/money to craft a completely new one.

Edited by Spooky Mulder
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think what happened (in terms of the CGI cutscenes) is that sonic team found out about all the rage and flak sonic stories have been getting nowadays. They must of decided to try and please this group *coughreviewerscough* by simplifying the story. This must of led to the removal of the CGI cutscenes and some other ones as well. This may seem a bit farfetched but there is no doubt that sonic team was listening to people while they were crafting this game; and a lot of people were complaining about a "serious" story.dry.png As I was playing through the game, I couldn't help but feel that something was missing in-between scenes. Also, theres no way CGI of that quality was purely made for advertising. It must of had a purpose somewhere in the game...

• Thumbs Up 3