Awoo.

Was Generations Rushed?

Badnik Mechanic

Even if those CG scenes were just made for advertisements and not intended to be part of the story, I really wonder why Sega didn't just throw the full unedited clips into the game as extra unlockables (like the Sonic & Chip scenes in Unleashed). They would have made nice extras and we wouldn't have everyone here wondering what happened to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes i do believe Generations was rushed i've been saying this since day 3 of its early leak onto the internet. allot of little cut corners here and there including the CG cutscenes sega was proudly toting around in the trailers. SEGA wouldn't waste time and money making CG for just trailers we know that much, commecrials for sure but thats different from trailers.

Another thing is the cutscene music, i feel that they spent soo much time working on the awesome remixes that they made only a few (say 3+the time eater track) tracks and recycled them over and over hell one is even used for generations' intro:

Also, what the heck? no vocal for this game?! makes no sense to let a big game like this go by without a vocal.

Strange that the music for the trailer doesn't have any sound effects from the original trailer. The happy-paced theme of it also seems off, it's more like a ditty that was jammed up pretty quickly in time for the game's release.

While we are on music, I'm also going to bring up the Live and Learn remix in the 20th Anniversary trailer. It doesn't appear anywhere else in the game doesn't appear anywhere in the game. Also, some of the "remixed" music sound more like updated MIDIs of the original. Not to mention the Platinum Trophy bug.

Additionally, the 3DS version definitely needs some mentioning here. So much for the game handheld anniversary, the developers opted to celelbrate the history of the 1st stage in almost every Sonic game instead. Not to mention how the E3 and Gamescon builds differed greatly in visual terms. There's no doubt the 3DS was ordered by Sega to be hastily developed in time for the holiday season.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFanPhase2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even if those CG scenes were just made for advertisements and not intended to be part of the story, I really wonder why Sega didn't just throw the full unedited clips into the game as extra unlockables (like the Sonic & Chip scenes in Unleashed). They would have made nice extras and we wouldn't have everyone here wondering what happened to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because they weren't intended for that. The Sonic and Chip scenes were made to be bonuses, these were made just for advertisements. It's like ShTH and Colours had lots of CG footage shown in trailer than only ended up being the in the pre-title screen openings. That's all I expected these ones to be, cause I can't imagine how they would have fit into the story.

I don't really see how them not being made to be bonuses stops them from being extra unlockables in the game. For example, the commercials in Sonic Jam and the concept art in this game obviously weren't created with the intention of being bonuses, but they were put in their respective games as such to add content. Looking back at the clips, while they all possibly might not have been long enough to be separate videos, they could have been compiled into one video (perhaps one that would even act as an intro as you said). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the game was rushed because it lacks the extra scenes. I'm just saying that it would have been a nice little extra.

Also, not sure if the last part of the post is directed at me, but I'm not saying that they originally were part of the story. When I first saw them in the trailers I thought they might have possibly been, but after seeing the final story, I also can't imagine how they would have fit in.

Edited by Gamerguy21

They probably aren't even whole scenes. Just snippets a few seconds long that wouldn't even make sense as a bonus.

I was going to comment on this in detail but there's no point, because there's not one thing in that detailed critique that is evidence of a rush job - it's a lengthy (and well-argued) critique of the design direction.

I know that this is a first, but Super Sonic is not meant to be God Mode in this game and analysing his gameplay behaviour making that assumption is a fundamental mistake, and if people don't realise and understand that regardless of how they feel about it, this particular conversation is going to go nowhere. Fundamentally disliking how something is designed is not evidence that it was rushed and that's what we're discussing in this thread; I'm actually in two minds about how they implemented Super Sonic in this game but if I went into it we'd be going off-topic.

And what I'm saying is even with the way he has been executed he doesn't work properly. Highlighting the parts in Chemical Plant and Rooftop Run in particular, he's still glitchy and rushed. When a character is teleporting up to spots and certain events trigger sometimes but then don't at others that's hardly a sign of a well polished mechanic.

As regards to how they designed Super Sonic, I'm not fussed if he's not a god mode, but when he's WORSE than regular Sonic then something is wrong. In some cases, you're really better off not using a skill set than using Super Sonic, and pretty much every case you're better off using a decent skill set. I want a reason to use Super Sonic over my set of skills and Sega hasn't given me one (except in the aforementioned Crisis City and Green Hill).

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 3

I thought they were gonna do a short CG movie like they did with "Night of the Werehog", sucks that they didn't.

I dont really actually care of CG cutscenes, but I would at least expected short cutscenes like they did with Chemical Plant and make nods to the game that stage came from.

I don't think this would add to the whole theory of generations being rushed but it really bothered me that only two zones(Both of which are in the classic era) have a Boost version of their modern themes.

I don't think this would add to the whole theory of generations being rushed but it really bothered me that only two zones(Both of which are in the classic era) have a Boost version of their modern themes.

Yeah. I mean, City Escape not having a boost variant was far enough, but for the others it seemed like the idea was just half baked.

Also, not sure if the last part of the post is directed at me, but I'm not saying that they originally were part of the story. When I first saw them in the trailers I thought they might have possibly been, but after seeing the final story, I also can't imagine how they would have fit in.

Edited by goku262002

Because the story was cut down silly of course a scene wouldn't make sense if the entire part for that scene to show was taken out.

Yeah but thats different they were just showing off snippets of the intro thats been common in sonic game trailers since adventure. SHTH only had 1 other scene missing that wasn't in the game, which was this:

And i truly believe thats just for commecrial sake. like i said before, CGI made for commecrial tends to have a different flow then CGI made for the games. the scenes that were in the SG trailers didn't feel the same as commecrial CG. I feel that they were definately intended for something other then trailers.

Really?! Well overscanning the missing scenes then, it seems silver was supposed to have a different introduction to his story (ignoring the line he says in the trailer/beta intro) seeing that he is overlooking a destroyed city (crisis city? theres not soo many skyscrapers). as for sonic in flames scene, it may have been this scene:

Jump to 3:50

You can see that the CGI scene sonic is even in the same pose as the in-game one. good eye...

It looks familiar, I can tell you that. Though I'm not sure it's the same scene used to create the CG one.

Almost forgot. The dancing animations for both Sonics was scrapped in the demo as well.

I can't help but feel that since the game was developed for three years, they actually had a whole bunch of stuff relating to the plot among other things planned for Generations, but it was scrapped or removed when the Colors writers took center stage for writing the stories.

• Thumbs Up 2

I doubt mere scriptwriters have the power to scrap months of work just by writing against content that's there. They're most likely given the scenario and then told to write the dialogue for it, then the animators will create the scenes around that. If anything, the Colours' writers work may have been just as cut up as everything else story-wise.

• Thumbs Up 1

What does 06 cutscenes have to do with Generations being rushed?

Go back through the topic for your awnser. just 2 pages will do.

anyways guys take a look at this:

http://www.kylehebert.com/?p=780

Namely this:

Fans have caught my name in the credits for “SONIC: GENERATIONS”. I did voice Big the Cat, however, it looks like he was dropped from the final release. Bummage!

This has got to prove something right?

• Thumbs Up 4

anyways guys take a look at this:

http://www.kylehebert.com/?p=780

Namely this:

*quote*

This has got to prove something right?

It proves that at one stage he was considered for a place in the game but was cut for some reason. Or he may be part of upcoming DLC. It doesn't prove Generations was rushed. Cuts =/= rushed.

Edited by Blue Blood

But cuts don't usually happen unless theres a good reason to namely time restraints. and time restraints can lead to a rushed final product.

Maybe gameplay wasn't rushed but theres allot that does feel rushed, the story is one of them.

But cuts don't usually happen unless theres a good reason to namely time restraints. and time restraints can lead to a rushed final product.

Maybe gameplay wasn't rushed but theres allot that does feel rushed, the story is one of them.

Portal 2 has cut content.

POR! TAL! TWO! HAS! CUT! CON! TENT!

KINDA! GOT! CARRIED! AWAY! THERE! Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Time Restraints =/= They were rushed to be met. They decided on an end point, discussed what things would have to be dropped to meet it, and then proceeded with what was left over.

Time Restraints =/= They were rushed to be met. They decided on an end point, discussed what things would have to be dropped to meet it, and then proceeded with what was left over.

Exactly. This is different to '06 where they left many things broken and unfinished because they had to rush it. Generations isn't rushed. It may have been significantly cut, but not rushed. When something is rushed it becomes a mess.

Exactly. This is different to '06 where they left many things broken and unfinished because they had to rush it. Generations isn't rushed. It may have been significantly cut, but not rushed. When something is rushed it becomes a mess.

Well, the story is a mess...

The final boss is a mess...