Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

I've completed 53% of TPP. Got all the endings. I just have 75 side-ops and about 10 extra high-difficulty optional main missions (which require you to play some previous missions on Extreme and Total Stealth mode etc) in order to get 100%. 

This game has received universal acclaim. A metacritic score of 94 based off of 40 reviews which is impressive.

As a long-time MGS fan, it's such a shame TPP which has fantastic gameplay, also has a pretty rubbish story and the way it's told is an utter mess. Mission 51 - which was cut from the game - actually looks like a decent ending to the whole Diamond Dog story, which was definitely lacking closure. So I think it's fucking disgusting that this episode - for whatever reason - was axed from the final game. #FucKonami. Overall TPP is not the best game in the series, which is such a shame.

Don't get me wrong, TPP has some really nice cutscenes. The whole opening sequence when Big Boss wakes from his coma is really good, but the overall way the story is told - by cassette tape, sitting in the chopper, or in the actually gameplay - instead of all in cutscenes is often unclear and confusing. The way you have to meet certain criteria to unlock some cutscenes -  which can easily lead you to you missing some optional parts of the story - is just fucking stupid.

There are four endings in the game (including Mission 51). 

Mission 31 brings to a close the whole revenge, going after Skull Face saga. You hardly ever see Skull Face during this time and the story leading up to Mission 31 really doesn't feel exciting or entertaining, because (as stated above) so much of it is explained in actually gameplay, on cassette tapes or just sitting in the fucking chopper and not in cutscenes. Some of the best revelations of the game are on cassette tapes!

Mission 46 requires certain criteria to unlock. I have the official strategy guide and even in that KONAMI ASKED THEM NOT TO REVEAL HOW TO UNLOCK THIS MISSION, LET ALONE WHAT HAPPENS IN IT. I managed to Unlock mission 46, played it and there is a clever twist.....

Mission 45; 

I love Quiet. She's an interesting character and far and above my favourite support buddy. At the end of Mission 45 you lose Quiet. Whether she's dies in the mission or leaves you (to presumably die of her own choice by walking into to desert to save everyone from her English language parasite infection, which is implied but never fully explained) it's up to you. The fact is, you lose her.

Once you complete Mission 43 and your bond with Quiet must be at 100; she disappears. You are then are given a side-op (no 150) to go and find her. By completing this side-op, it unlocks Mission 45 which is mandatory. You cannot back out of this mission and you must see it through to it's conclusion.  When I finished Mission 45, I saved Quiet from dying in the mission, but she still leaves you. What really pissed me of is that I had only completed about 44% of the game and I no longer have Quiet as a support buddy. So in other words I will have to play the rest of the game without Quiet! Fuck off!  

Why couldn't they make it so that Quiet goes missing when you have at least 95% completion? At least then I would have been able to enjoy Quiet as a support buddy for the majority of the game.

I'm sorry , but that was a really stupid decision.

Yeah, I know, if I was played TPP again from the beginning I could just avoid Mission 43, but that's just not the point and you still would full short of 100% completion before losing her.

The story in Peace Walker is better explained than in TPP. The whole Man on fire thing is stupid, as is the Kid with a mask. 

I hate to say it, but pretty much all the bosses in the game - bar one or two - are rubbish. The boss fight in Mission 45, a rather dull - bullshit harsh difficulty - tank fight is technically the final boss fight in the game! Mission 51 would have made a far better final boss fight.

The whole "building Mother Base" (which has lots of optional cutscenes) - whilst massive and impressive - takes forever to do , just like it did in Peace Walker. It still takes an eternity to get high enough high-rank soldiers, GMP and materials to unlock and develop more powerful weapons. 

At this rate I can't be bothered to 100% TPP. It's just not worth it. A reward for completing 100% such as unlocking a fully competed and playable Episode 51 would have given me a much better incentive.

TPP starts off awesome and whilst the gameplay is outstanding, the story sadly goes downhill and never recovers.

In my opinion MGS1 & MGS3 are still far better games overall.

the whole thing with Eli and the kid(Mantis) really makes me wonder if Liquid was just a puppet all along, and Mantis was the one calling the shots for some weird reason, fueling Liquids rage. TPP really gives that impression.

Assets regarding a third chapter called "Peace" - also presumably cancelled - have been discovered.

Fucking hell. More cancelled content. To think, the story in this game could have been incredible. Instead all we get is 1.5 chapters of a laughably messy story.

Edited by QuietTheSniper

I haven't finished the game yet but I'm loving it so far. The gameplay is probably my favourite out of all the other MGS games. It's less cutscene-heavy than MGS4 which is good, but Miller keeps talking over the cassette tapes (that's really my main complaint at the moment). :| Are players expected to just sit still and listen to them in order to not get interrupted all the time?

(Also I'm a newbie here, hope I'm not doing anything wrong!)

This game is a massive disappointment on pretty much every single level. You can tell the game is unfinished even without all of the obvious evidence pointing to that being the truth. There is close to no story at all whatsoever, the story that is there sucks and the second half of the game is literally just redoing the same shit you've already done but on harder difficulties with small bits of new plot slipped in between.

The Side Ops just add to the redundancy of it all since at least 40% of them boil down to "Extract Random Nameless Asshole #420." The game pulls you in with the promise that there is so much shit to do, but it doesn't feel like it when your brain goes numb doing the same thing over and over for hours and having no tangible reward. The gameplay is solid when things work as intended but I'd enjoy it so much more if the pacing wasn't downright awful.

I find it difficult to play this game for really extended periods of time. It's just.. not Metal Gear.

>close to no story

It's not delivered in the most graceful way, but there is very much a story going on. Are you listening to the tapes? Again, stupid way to shove the story aside, but it IS there.

From the looks of things it seems Konami meddling fucked up what was supposed to be Kojima's last masterpiece with more and more cut content appearing+the lies about microtransactions. Thanks Konami....

>close to no story

It's not delivered in the most graceful way, but there is very much a story going on. Are you listening to the tapes? Again, stupid way to shove the story aside, but it IS there.

Even with the tapes the story is lacking. A lot of them are just retreads of information given to you during Main Ops or dialogue that was in the few cutscenes the game has. It's something sure, but in comparison to what Metal Gear fans are normally used to it sucks.

Everything but the story I find little to no problems in, and even place past a few of the past MGS games. (Well aside from the online) I don't really find the game redundant or a chore to play. There's enough variety to keep me immersed and engaged personally.

Another possible cut ending has surfaced. This one is so confusing but it gets weirder. Some Konami guys seem to say we haven't seen everything yet. Could this part really exist?

Here's the article and below is a link to a mirror with the scene in question. http://gamingbolt.com/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-4th-ending-leaks-konami-cm-says-players-havent-done-everything

http://b.1339.cf/fsttrwa.mp4 

I haven't tried the FOB missions yet, but when the game introduces FOB's, either Ocelot or Kaz encourages you to "rid the world of nukes or to fill the world with nukes". So this is appears to just be a bonus cutscene based on FOB when players reach a certain success rate or something.

TPP's story is such a mess and the way it's portrayed through gameplay, cassette tapes and in the chopper makes it come across as lacking emotion and any meaning. The story or revenge should be dramatic but instead comes across as kind of dull.

Yeah Konami are arsewholes for cutting the budget for the game which obviously led to the numerous padding of side-missions (revisiting the same location over and over and over again). Also, those "Extreme, Subsistence, Total Stealth" missions feel like they've been thrown in at the last minute. Kojima is also accountable for how he's put the game together and it's a fucking mess. The only bits of the story of MGSV which generally feel well done; are Ground Zeroes and TPP's opening hospital scene. 

The bosses are terrible. The difficulty in this game feels so unbalanced. It's ridiculously easy to die. They should have at least stuck to the Normal and Hard modes for every mission like they did in Ground Zeroes. The few Extreme missions that appear in TPP are insta-kills. An utter waste of time unless you have the most powerful version of each weapon, and as it takes forever - due to the development system - to unlock more power weapons it ends up getting more frustrating.

It's safe to say that this game has more problems with it than any other previous MGS game.

Even the ranking system/S rank requirements feels over-complicated.

It's such a chore trying to 100% it.

Edited by QuietTheSniper

Well you seem to be one of the rare that feel this negatively about the game. Story aside, many people, including myself, commend Kojima for the game, given the circumstances. Yeah there are a few things here and there, but overall, I feel like people are just as justified to claim this to be one of the best MGS games from a gameplay perspective. There's tons of content, lots of ways to approach missions, building up mother base is interesting, and the Easter eggs are fun to find. I didn't find the difficulty to bad unless you were going for high ranks and shit.

Edited by Michael Munroe
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well you seem to be one of the rare that feel this negatively about the game. Story aside, many people, including myself, commend Kojima for the game, given the circumstances. Yeah there are a few things here and there, but overall, I feel like people are just as justified to claim this to be one of the best MGS games from a gameplay perspective. There's tons of content, lots of ways to approach missions, building up mother base is interesting, and the Easter eggs are fun to find. I didn't find the difficulty to bad unless you were going for high ranks and shit.

Oh don't get me wrong, the core gameplay is excellent. Probably best gameplay in the series. The voice acting is good, some of the characters are very interesting and there are a few good cutscenes. It's certainly a very polished game, but being a hard-core MGS fan when comparing this to the previous games, it's shocking just how much of a mess it is.

Such a shame. I can't remember the last time I've played a game when the story is so incomplete and badly put together.

I dunno, maybe I set my expectations too high.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I'm doing this on my phone so real spoiler tags would be too much hassle, so here goes:

why aren't you playing as big boss? It doesn't give them an out for why the diamond dogs are never mentioned again (everyone thinks that their leader really is big boss), it doesn't really change how you look at stuff that came before it, aside from finally understanding what was with that character creator and Ishmael, and it means this game is basically a side story.

Funny thing, before finding out who Ishmael actually is, I thought I saw him aim with his right eye when he shot the sprinklers in the hospital, wich had me thinking that it couldn't be big boss, and my flimsy working theory was that it was Roy Cambel. 

Ok I'm doing this on my phone so real spoiler tags would be too much hassle, so here goes:

Seriously Dude? You couldn't have waited till you had access to a real computer instead of just spoiling the ending like that? Show a little respect for people who haven't already finished the game and add some spoiler tags to that ASAP.

Hidden Content

If it's too much hassle for you to show some consideration and respect for your fellow members by not spoiling the ending of all things by means of implementing spoiler tags, then it is best that you do not post at all until at least you have the means to do so. In the meantime I went on and implemented those spoiler tags in your post to prevent more members from being spoiled. Seriously, do not deliberately post untagged spoilers where they are not welcome in topics again as that is very inconsiderate towards the members that want to find out the ending for themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Konami thinks Metal Gear can continue without Kojima

Despite recent reports that Konami is scaling back its efforts in the console space, the Japanese publisher has come forward to deny such claims, while also speaking to the viability of the Metal Gear Solid franchise without series creator Hideo Kojima at the helm.

In an interview with Game On Daily (via Videogamer), Konami community manager Graham Day was asked whether or not the Metal Gear franchise could continue with Kojima, to which he replied: "Yeah, course it can. Metal Gear is about the story, it's about the characters and I think, yeah..."

Day then cited the studio's collaboration with PlatinumGames as a successful use of the brand. "Look at things like Metal Gear Rising. That was an example of the title being taken in a new direction by separate teams with obviously hands-in from other parties," he said. "And that was in itself a very, very good game as well, and that was obviously led by a completely different team."

With regard to Konami's commitment to making more triple-A console games in the future, Day confirmed that Konami's stance has not wavered. "Don't believe everything you read in the press," he said. "That's never changed. Things have been taken out of context but that's never changed."

you_are_wrong.png

Thank you @Banana Slamma for this.

Edited by Athena Cykes
  • Thumbs Up 4

>Konami says will cease to produce non-PES triple A titles

>Konami then after a few days says that thinks Metal Gear can continue without Kojima

>mfw

MfwJT.jpg

Golly, i can't wait for that Metal Gear pachinko machine.

• Thumbs Up 5

Regarding this turn of events, with Konami trying to save face by arguing that Metal Gear  could so easily be continued without Kojima (slightly possible but only with a winning combination that manages to hit it out of the park and Konami's current rosters ain't looking up to snuff at the moment;)    I wager that Ocelot said it best:

Edited by Jovahexeon Joranvexeon
  • Thumbs Up 1

Day then cited the studio's collaboration with PlatinumGames as a successful use of the brand. "Look at things like Metal Gear Rising. That was an example of the title being taken in a new direction by separate teams with obviously hands-in from other parties," he said. "And that was in itself a very, very good game as well, and that was obviously led by a completely different team."

I think it's cute that they can basically say "oh, well this was a good game because we didn't make it" as if it's a point in their favour, doubly so considering MGR wasn't even originally a Platnium game - they were called in basically to bail them out once they found trouble making the game on their own. That's of course to say nothing of the fact that MGR itself is an outlier, considering Lords of Shadow and whatever the fuck happened to Silent Hill as a whole.