Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

Whelp, that nails it MGS is dead.

That must hurt Kojima knowing his hard built custom engine is being used for pachinko machines.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Hmm.... How do we make more money out of MGS? Release a Definitive version of MGSV!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-27-metal-gear-solid-5-definitive-edition-spotted-at-various-retailers

Yup, it's apparently been listed on several places. I imagine its a version of MGSV that combines Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain as well as gives us the crappy DLC costume stuff. I won't buy it as I'm satisfied with my MGSV experience but if they add in the cut missions...

Wonder if it'll also feature the infamously cut third of the game's story. 

After reading: 

Nah, that'd be way too bright of a selling point for Konami to grasp knowledge of. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There's absolutely no way that's going to happen, and unless there are extensively storyboarded cutscenes and fully coded missions just lying around Konami HQ, there's no way it can. The only bonus I can forsee of that nature is the cut 'Episode 51' from the Blu Ray,  where it's

Spoiler

Eli and his stolen Metal Gear, backed up by Child Soldiers vs Venom and Diamond Dogs in a rumble in the jungle, which culminates in Venom shooting Eli after taking a blow to the head and losing colour perception (Eli's got a helmet on, I think). Because Eli has plot armour, Kid Mantis saves his life and removes the parasites from him, and everyone fucks off. Still not much of an ending, tbh, although the cutscenes are mostly rendered and most of the voice acting is recorded. 

Plus, a Phantom Pain 'finished edition' would just be the biggest fuck you to fans - making them pay twice for the same game, 'now with an ending!' Even EA gave away the revamped ME3 ending for free. 

Konami have been sending the marketing intern who drew the short straw onto Reddit lately, and he has mentioned there is something Metal Gear related coming in 2016 that will 'bring you guys back' (paraphrased). Smart money says a Metal Gear (MSX) 1 & 2 3D remake or, as an outsider choice, a Snake Eater remaster using those Fox Engine assets (and possibly Phantom Pain's gameplay? If it's Fox). Whether the hardcore would even countenance giving Konami their money after the last year, who knows.

Oh, and Fuck Konami. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Konami have been sending the marketing intern who drew the short straw onto Reddit lately

Oh hoho, please show us. I wanna see the assripping hes getting right now representing Konami and trying to talk to fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 30/07/2016 at 4:59 AM, goku262002 said:

Oh hoho, please show us. I wanna see the assripping hes getting right now representing Konami and trying to talk to fans.

It's crazy, apparently he recently did an AMA on the Silent Hill subreddit and out of 130+ questions... only 3 were rude? No revelations about anything, mind, lots of 'We are currently investigating this' and 'this is above my paygrade'.

I understand the decorum, in a sense - we have no fucking idea what's going on at Konami, and every new thing they do is incredibly confusing, so I suppose the impulse is try to understand what exactly is going on. 

The only way a definitive edition could interest me is if they added the cut Chapter 2 mission 51 "Lord of the flies" and the entire cut Chapter 3. Then it might, just might feel like a finished game. Even then there still so many things wrong with MGSV.

I'll pass, thanks.

Meanwhile, at the Konami Kingdom:

Konami Fan 1: "Hey brother, you see anything weird around here?"

Konami Fan 2: "Naw man, well one thing. A random box over there"

mgs4_box2.jpg

Konami Fan 1: "Naw, it's been there all night"

*Konami Fan 2 sighs a breath of relief*

Konami Fan 1: "So anything Konami could do to bring you back after their disastrous games?"

Konami Fan 2: "So many things. Metal Gear Solid 1 being completely remade like that Ratchet and Clank PS4 game, Snake Eater being remade! Oh the possibilities are endless"

Konami Fan 1: "I get ya. Yeah, those would be great"

*Two eyes peek out of the box, as it zooms in, revealing Konami inside the box*

Konam; "Looks like I have the tools I need to win back the crowd!"

*Konami brings out a notebook, and writes something into it*

Notebook: "Metal Gear Solid V: Definitive Edition - JUST BUNDLE THE TWO GAMES TOGETHER LIKE THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN TO BEGIN WITH!"

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/17/gamescom-2016-konami-announces-metal-gear-survive

Recently announced at Gamescom 2016, Konami are releasing a new Metal Gear game called Metal Gear: Survive next year on PS4, Xbox One and PC.

"Set directly after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game’s finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they’re forced to battle a force of crystalline zombies and, it seems, at least one Metal Gear itself."

It'll have 4-player co-op stealth gameplay, and use the FOX Engine used for MGS V.

Not that many people (or at least those who care about what happened last year with Kojima) will be buying this game at full price anyway, if at all.

So Konami's way of "winning us back" is by creating a game that doesn't at all look like a Metal Gear game and a story with zombies, the most overused gaming trope nowadays......

Brilliant.

I was going to say I hope single player is more balanced than the last co-op Metal Gear, but then I remembered I don't care about a zombie survival game.

Oh well.

Aaaaand is off, ladies and gentlemen, sign your bets to yours truly for the most epic challenge of the year.

Place your thoughts: between this and Umbrella Corps, what do you think is gonna be the worse insult to its original franchise?

You know Konami, you alreay have a perfectly good horror franchise called Silent Hill. Sure it's not a shooter. However, you could make it work better than making an alternate universe MGSV. It's just a bit of an asspull. Hell, it could have been a DLC for MGO, zombie modes sell in those kind of games!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm pretty sure a multiplayer co-op zombie shooter would be a bigger insult to Silent Hill than Metal Gear.

AhahaaahahaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tying this into Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is incredibly insulting. This is just... what. YOU HAD ONE JOB, KONAMI. Just remake the good Metal Gears, or do something out of canon like Revengeance or other games, or.... not this. 

This looks like a fan game. If I was Kojima, I wouldn't know whether to laugh or to cry. Damn.

DAMMIT KONAMI! You had something! You had a good idea! A game about the remnants of MSF fighting for survival after the events of Ground Zeroes is a really neat concept, but then you had to go throw in zombies and alternate universes, things which just don't gel all that well with Metal Gear canon. Why not just set it on the ruins of Mother Base, make it a bit of a throwback to the earlier titles where you infiltrated a single facility. As for enemies, Peace Walker established that there were already tensions within MSF that could have easily boiled over after XOF cut off the head of the snake; your enemies could simply be other members of MSF who split off into their own faction and went a bit nutty. The player's faction is trying to reach the bottom of Mother Base and recover ZEKE so that they can use it to escape and get help from the mainland but the enemy faction doesn't want them to, because they've attached an almost religious significance to the Metal Gear (keeping up those Lord of the Flies parallels from Phantom Pain) and don't want anyone to "defile" it.

If Konami is really hung up on the zombie thing they can still incorporate it. MGSV already established that surviving MSF member went batty in a way that caused them to act vaguely zombie-like and given the circumstances it's not unreasonable to think that some of the MSF members might turn to cannibalism to survive. Combine the two and you get zombies (only about ten million times creepier than actual zombies). Hell, if that's still not zombiesque enough for them they could always say that Skullface unleashed a prototypical form of the Skulls parasite on Mother Base resulting in, you guessed it, zombies.

Five minutes. Five minutes and I've come up with a better game than Konami.

• Thumbs Up 4

Right, I've had a think.

Spoiler tags, because we're getting deep into MGS V here.

Spoiler

Venom Snake, aka The Medic aka Not Big Boss, was transformed into Big Boss via hypnotic suggestion and brainwashing whilst he was in a coma and suffered brain damage due to the gigantic piece of fucking shrapnel in his skull. This shrapnel is in the shape of a horn, and depending on actions that the player takes, Venom Snake can turn into 'a demon'. This has the horn extended fully, as well as Venom's face drenched in blood. Venom refers to a demon inside of him at points in the game, and this demon is Big Boss' mind that's overwriting his own personality. The horn personifies this.

The fact that the 'zombies' in Survive have no heads, just horns, ties into this, and I reckon that these are 'demons'. They also have glowing throats, which is how Venom Snake identifies the infected in the Shining Lights, Even In Death mission. Now, this doesn't make sense - only Venom has a horn, and the infected are supposed to die to spread the parasite, not lose the tops of their heads and go World War Z.

I reckon the wormhole takes Bastard Donkey (or whatever our new Mother Base mook is called) to a distant future, based on the shot of the base seen in the trailer. The bright red light shown there is most likely the AI Pod of The Boss, which Venom recovers in Chapter 2 of The Phantom Pain, and was definitely not on Mother Base in Ground Zeroes. So, it could only be the Mother Base you build in The Phantom Pain. If this is the case, I'm not sure whether the Metal Gear is Zeke or Sahelanthropus - whilst Eli took Sahelanthropus, the destruction of Mother Base in GZ took Zeke with it. But, if Mother Base was actually warped into the future after Big Boss fucked off, it could be Zeke. It could also be a zombie Metal Gear or Revolver Ocelot using parasite technology to turn himself into a cyborg giant.

So Bastard Donkey could be warped into the darkest timeline where the vocal chord parasite has removed its own means of transmission, everyone's Venom Snake, and you and XOF and other Mother Base survivors from either 1975 in the prime dimension or this timeline try to hop through dimensions using crafting mechanics. 

TL;DR - I can't think of any way this makes sense.

However, they appear to have confirmed that it is a GZ style addendum to The Phantom Pain, which is certainly a thing. Guess they don't feel confident doing a 'Chapter 3' or anything along those lines, rather a Zombie multiplayer expansion. This is still very dumb. 

ARGGGHHHHH!

I just heard of this just now and man I'm pissed to high heaven and back!

None of this is Metal Gear! Its just a bastardization of a classic franchise by just using its former assets and be every other zombie action game ever! This is a massive disservice to the series. The only thing that would be remotely interesting if the Metal Gear was the one creating the zombies, being some kind of hive queen or something along those lines. And I'd be ok if it was just the survivors of MSF battling for survival but NAWT FUKING DIS!

Ugh! I think I hit a boiling point today. :/

Man just when I thought Konami couldn't sink any lower with pachislots using the Metal Gear brand this comes along in a gaming landscape already over-saturated with zombie infested survival horror games by the dozen. I do not often use swearing on the forums but in this case "FUCK KONAMI!" is the most appropriate in this case.

At this point I can't help but think of this in regards to Konami:

hlYAp42.png

It's only been 11 months since the release of the last mainline game. You can't realistically expect them to have anything significant to show at this point.

In the mean time there's nothing particularly wrong with a dumb, low budget spin-off. If things are still like this in a few years, then I think it's time to get angry.

The sad thing is this would be welcomed, warmly so even, if this was an add-on to MGS V. Remember the skateboarding stuff in Sons of Liberty, and even the Ape Escape crossover in Snake Eater?

But this is an entirely new installment. It doesn't need to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

No seriously, what the fuck?

The idea sounded nice with them being in an alternate universe, but they lost me when they though fusing it with Resident Evil was a good idea. Like seriously?

Them keeping stealth might mitigate things, but damn we've already milked the shit out of the zombie craze years ago.

39 minutes ago, Marcello said:

At this point I can't help but think of this in regards to Konami:

hlYAp42.png

It's only been 11 months since the release of the last mainline game. You can't realistically expect them to have anything significant to show at this point.

In the mean time there's nothing particularly wrong with a dumb, low budget spin-off. If things are still like this in a few years, then I think it's time to get angry.

It's not like Konami only have one offense against them. You'd have to really be ignoring people to think that. They have constantly exhibited shitty behavior and a lack of care for their franchises and fans. The company is a mess. This move just comes off very fitting for the company and where they currently stand. There's nothing to suggest they're learning or wanting to win back people.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Marcello said:

But I'm angry now XD

I was kind of expecting a game heavily focused on multiplayer. They've given MGSV a hell of a lot of multiplayer support, but zombies? REALLY?! 

Just look at the amount of dislikes alone on the trailer! No one wants a game like this.

I can't be bothered to say "FucKonami" anymore. Konami are gonna do want they want and they don't care what the fanbase wants. So, yeah, whatever.