Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

Now we know the takes place in 1984 the earliest. We're really close to the original Metal Gear now.

I don't like the new voice for Snake. It's doesn't sound right at all. Too young. Reminded me of Desmond from AC. The trailer was great, though. MGS usually has great ones, though.

Edit:

Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are two seperate games... Or maybe not?

Earlier today, Kojima Productions announced that Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain together make up Metal Gear Solid V. This made it sound like the two are the same game, but this isn’t actually the case.

We got in touch with Konami to ask just what the deal is with the two titles, and the publisher’s Director of Public Relations, Jay Boor, informed us that they are in fact two separate games.

Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are two separate games,” Boor clarified to Siliconera via e-mail. “GZ will be a prologue to The Phantom Pain.”

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Hideo Kojima writes: “’Ground Zeroes’ is a prologue of ‘MGSV’. 9 years after that event will be ‘The Phantom Pain’. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game ‘TPP’. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of ‘TPP’ which is tutorial that starts from crawling.”

Update: When we pressed Boor for further details and asked if both The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes are for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, he replied: “Can’t comment on the SKUs unfortuantely [sic]. TPP is definitely 360 and PS3 though.”

Update 2: We got in touch with Boor again, this time asking if the two games will be part of the same package or on the same disc. He replied: “Can’t confirm at this time”.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/27/the-phantom-pain-and-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-are-two-separate-games/

Edited by MarcelloF

So let me see if I understand this right.

Ground Zeroes = Game 1

The Phantom Pain = Game 2.

On their own, they're just games...

But if you own both of them, they're Metal Gear Solid 5?

Ground Zeroes = Game 1

Pretty much. GZ is the prologue/part 1 and TPP is the main game/part 2

Kojima interview on MGSV

Details/Highlights of the interview

-Sounds like we'll be getting Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain separately. Ties into how Kojima was interested in episodic releases. Ground Zeroes first and then Phantom Pain, as Ground Zeroes "eases us" into the sneaking and whatnot, and Phantom Pain is a huge game that continues.

-Hayter is gone for good :(

-Ground Zeroes takes place almost immediately after Peace Walker, Phantom Pain 9 years later

-It will be open world unlike previous Metal Gears where you just show up at a stage and go in a linear path. Instead they want it to be "realistic infiltration", you choose how to infiltrate, where to infiltrate, and what time is best to do it. There could be side missions along the way that affect your objective.

-You will only play as Big Boss

-80% realistic, 20% sci fi/fantasy (fire whales and shit)

If this is the case then it wouldn't be too far out there to expect Ground Zeroes to come out later this year, and Phantom Pain sometime next year. The open world aspect they're going for makes me hyped. Shame about David Hayter though.

Ground Zeroes = Game 1

He doesn't really explicitly say they're separate games.  He calls Ground Zeroes a "prologue" so my guess is that they're two parts, sort of like the Tanker Episode and Big Shell Episode from MGS2 than different games altogether.

Okay so it's basically called Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, with Ground Zeroes (which is part of MGSV) being a prologue to TPP.

By the sound of it, this will be similar to the Tanker and Plant chapters in MGS2, in that Ground Zeroes will be like 30/40% compared to the size of Phantom Pain. So it will be episodic. We get GZ first and then TPP.

Now it doesn't sound like TPP is finished, so a 2014 release for GZ and then a 2015 release for TPP? I hope the release of both episodes isn't 19 months apart like Sonic 4's were (especially if they are both made under the same graphics/physics engine), but I can see that happening. I guess that's not so bad though if GZ still turns out to be bigger than MGS4 in it's own right, in terms of size.

I love the idea of open world MGS, but Tactical Espionage Action must remain at the core of the gameplay (i.e. taking your time, sneaking round the enemy or taking them out silently) because that is what made the MGS series so unique and popular in the first place. 

The idea that MGSV as a whole is a current generation console game and not next gen-PS4 suprises me. Normally Hideo Kojima would be the first to jump at the chance of releasing a game on next gen. He actually wanted to release MGS3 on PS3 and not PS2, but got tired of waiting for the PS3, and thus it came out on the PS2 (and actually was better than MGS4 in my humble opinion). Of course if MGSV does comes out on PS3 and Xbox360, then I will be curious to see how the FOX engine compares to the new games coming out on PS4. Is the Fox engine so good that it could make MGSV (on PS3) look like a next gen game? We will see.

I am a massive MGS fan, so I hope that.....

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain-Scre

.....turns out to be the best MGS game ever made.

Edited by -Bender-

So how are you going to build Mother Base if it burns to the ground as seen in the trailer? 

Metal Gear Solid 5 Fox Engine Tech Demo

Get a behind the scenes look at the Fox Engine that is used to power Metal Gear Solid 5. 

So how are you going to build Mother Base if it burns to the ground as seen in the trailer? 

It probably burns down at the end of GZ and PP takes place nine years later.

Edited by MarcelloF

Wow. They didn't even approach him? Pretty stupid and this could hurt them badly from the backlash.

This petition had received over 2,000 signatures, Hideo Kojima may receive death threats if he won't approach David Hayter, Richard Doyle, or have a replacement actor that fans will be satisfied with.

Kojima has already set the wheels in motion for him not working on Metal Gear anymore. Ending Solid Snake's story with MGS4 was the start, him being involved as just an overseer in MGRR and letting his team take the reains of the future of Metal Gear's storyline so he can just focus on the backstory of Big Boss.

All he has to do is have MGS5 lead into MG1 and remake Metal Gear 1&2 and then oversee MGS1's remake and hes done with MG for good.

Ground Zeroes = Game 1

Lock-On technology!

Btw, Guys you forget the massive Joakim troll Kojima was doing until 2 days ago and the fact that its a few days before april fools.

I doubt anything the man says right now especially about replacing voice actors.

Here is a recent interview with Kojima http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/84h9k6/metal-gear-solid-v--the-phantom-pain-kojima-interview

What is the future of the Metal Gear series if Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain is the last Metal Gear game Hideo Kojima will work on?

I like how at the beginning of the interview Kojima chuckles after Geoff says "no more secrets."  Does he even know who he's talking to?

Kojima will never stop making Metal Gear games.

Edited by MarcelloF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMkSmJ0yOFw&list=LLh9FztmoziCEDvTPaErq5Iw

The Core of Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes [Full Presentation] 

Metal Gear Solid 5’ and ‘Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes’ release dates hinted

The release dates have been hinted by David Gibson for the upcoming multiplatform video games, “Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” and “Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.” According to a statement from his Twitter page on March 29, the senior research analyst disclosed that “Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” won’t be released until the fiscal year of 2015 from Konami Digital Entertainment, which will be ending on March 31, 2015. To compensate for the long wait, the publisher will be launching the “Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes” prologue sometime before March 31, 2014. You can check out some images of both titles in the slideshow at the top of this article and the statement from David Gibson below:

Konami- MGS5 Phantom Pain wont be out until Fiscal Year ending March 2015!a prologue will come in Fiscal Year Mar/14 to keep interest going.

“Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” and “Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes” are being developed by Kojima Productions. The same studio previously worked on the other games in the “Metal Gear Solid” series. The aforementioned Konami Digital Entertainment will be publishing both titles.

David Hayter tells us about when and how he found out he wasn't voicing Snake in Metal Gear Solid V and how he felt. 

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

METAL GEAR V

By

David Hayter

So,

Here’s a recap of events:

I have been up in Toronto, for the past eight months, directing my first film, (WOLVES -- 2013, TF1/COPPERHEART). On the December break, I came home to Los Angeles for the holidays. I heard then, that recording sessions for MG:V were being put together.

But I didn’t hear anything about whether I’d be needed or not.

So, I got in touch with someone involved in the production. We got together for lunch, and he told me that they "wouldn’t be needing me" on this game. No reason, or explanation was given beyond that.

And that was it.

I drove home through Laurel Canyon, bummed, and thinking about Snake.

To be clear, I love being a part of the world of Metal Gear. I admire its technological innovations, the gameplay, the political message of it all. But primarily, I love the fans of these games. Two grown men burst into tears upon meeting me at the Vancouver Fan Expo last year.

Now that... Is a rare and excellent role. You know you’re making an impact.

And I love doing it.

In 1998, I tried to do come up with a voice which epitomized the kind of worn, put-upon, genetically-engineered clone-soldier that I saw Snake to be. Over time, as the games became more stunning and visually sophisticated, I tried to transition that initial voice into the increasingly real environments in which Snake found himself. My level of success is up to you, but any perceived deficiencies were not for lack of hard work. I have dedicated a huge amount of time and effort into creating a compelling character, capable of expressing the myriad emotional, physical and psychological hurdles that Snake has to face.

Anyway, now it’s been fifteen years, nine games, and an enormous blast to undertake.

If it were my choice, I would do this role forever. To hear anyone else’s voice coming from Snake’s battered throat, makes me a little ill, to be honest.

But the truth is -- it’s not my choice. Any and all casting decisions are the sole purview of Hideo Kojima, and Konami itself. And that’s fair.

And I’ll get by. I am not lacking for employment on any level.

But I didn’t want anybody to think that I was intentionally abandoning them.

And know that I will miss this job, and this character, very much.

My best wishes to you all,

David Hayter

April 1, 2013

T'is sad day. 

Edited by Big Boss

David Hayter tells us about when and how he found out he wasn't voicing Snake in Metal Gear Solid V and how he felt. 

T'is sad day. 

Very sad indeed.

*Salutes a legend*

Hayter-Snake.jpg

It is kind of strange because apparently the Japanese voice actor for Snake hasn't been changed. Also, why did David Hayter post the twitter message on April Fools day? Some people won't be convinced...

I guess as long as the new voice is good (and the gameplay in MGSV is awesome) it won't matter too much.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 2

Obviously I don't like the fact of hayter going away. But if Solidus is a clone of big boss why not just use his voice instead since it would make actual sense story wise. I believe John Cygan played Solidus.............and I know Solid Snake and Liquid are also clones of big boss but not 100%. I guess I am thinking about it too much or can't get over the fact that Hayter is now gone for good haha oh fuck.

T'is sad day. 

I feel so bad for Hayter. I really do hope Kojima was lying when he said they were done with Hayter for good. Like I said, I have no problem with someone else being Big Boss, but when I think of Snake I think of that iconic voice. Hayter's voice is part of what makes the MGS series MGS. One of the few game series where I think the VA adds so much to the series.

That really made me sad reading that, especially since he was such a huge fan and loved doing what he was doing. If he's not in this game because Solid Snake's not suppose to be here, then that's okay, but I really hope he's in MGS6/The inevitable MG 1 & 2 remakes.

In other news, I bought Peace Walker. It's the only MGS game (sans Ghost Babel) that I haven't played yet.  I got the PSP version on Vita because I prefer the portability and want to play it in it's original form. Not having better graphics and 60 FPS won't bother me, and the second stick on the Vita allows for Camera Control.

Edited by Nintendoga

We're definitely going to see Hayter continue to voice Solid Snake. I support the direction of a new Big Boss VA for his change into a villain (though I certainly wouldn't have minded hearing Hayter's direction at all), I just think it's way too early to think that Hayter will never be Snake again, which some people on the net are acting like will happen.

I dunno. If we get to the point where there's a Solid Snake over the age of 17 in a new game and Hayter isn't voicing him or even approached again, then I'll be really bummed. But for now? I'm doin' aight.