Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

With the exception of MGS: Twin Snakes which was released for the Gamecube in 2004, until recently MGS games have always been Playstation exclusives. However, MGS HD Collection was released on PS3, Xbox 360 and Playstation Vita. Kojima has confirmed that MGS - like it or not - is now going multi-platform. Why he made that decision I don't know, but the creation of 'Kojima Productions', the stunning new 'Fox Engine' and their new Los Angeles office signals an intent on making lots of new games. Clearly they now - in my opinion - have the resource and money to do this. So the idea of going multi-platform is a no brainer.  

The Wii U is more powerful than Xbox 360 and PS3, but i'm guessing Kojima decided to only release MGSV on Playstaion and Xbox, because he knows - from previous sales - that the games will sell by the bucket load on those systems. Whereas the Wii U/Nintendo is more of an unknown market.

Substance was released on the original Xbox. And 1 & 2 were on PC.

• Thumbs Up 1

Substance was released on the original Xbox. And 1 & 2 were on PC.

Yeah that is true. I actually have Substance for the Xbox.

Technically we've seen all of them in person, unless I'm missing something.

But yeah it would be cool if they showed up and they're most likely gonna show considering this is probably gonna be Big Boss' last chapter.

Well, y'know. Not counting Ocelot and EVA, sort of, we saw all of the original Patriots before they were properly Patriots, and a couple of them again after or just before they died, but they haven't had a chance yet to show up as the actual leaders of the organization and do evil laughs and stuff.

It'd be nice for them and Big Boss to actually talk about the formation of the Patriots and the Les Enfants Terribles thing instead of getting that information in text infodump form, but mostly I just want to see the codec doofuses from Snake Eater try their hardest to be supervillains.

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

MGS-5-Eli.jpg

"Eli’s a child who has lost his future, suggesting he is another child soldier. The internet is currently speculating that this is actually a young Liquid Snake, so the red motifs on both Ocelot and Eli could signify their future bond throughout the series, plus there’s a snake on his lap."

Adding to that his name "Eli" a modern equivalent of Eliab, the brother of David in the The Bible.

• Thumbs Up 2

SINS OF THE FATHER (METAL GEAR SOLID 5 E3 2013 THEME)  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdfTC5BgxIQ

Ripped from the trailer.

Sins of the Father by Donna Burke, in the E3 trailer. Beautiful, haunting, and shows just how Big Boss, Miller and all of Outer Heaven fell from grace and turned from heroes to villains, justified in their anger at the world but unrelenting in their pursuit for revenge and control of the world.

Edit: Lyrics:

Pride feeds their blackened hearts.

And the thirst, must be quenched, to fuel hypocrisy
Cleansing flames is the only way to repent...
(Renounce what made you...)
Words that kill!
Would you speak them to me?
With your breath so still,
It makes me believe...The Sins never die,
(Can't wash this blood off our hands...)

Let the world fear us all,
(It’s just a means to an end...)
Our salvation lies
in the father’s sins!
Beyond the truth!
(Let me suffer now...)
In my heart,
I just know
that there’s no way to light up the dark...
In his eyes...

Sins of our Fathers

Edited by Kareemadeem
  • Thumbs Up 4

Going by the trailer, I'm thinking Big Boss and Miller will have a falling out in Phantom Pain. Miller's going mad with his revenge.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is a bit of interesting news:

Kojima looking to remake MGS1 with next-gen Fox engine.

"Hideo Kojima is looking to remake the original Metal Gear Solid using Kojima Productions' next-generation Fox engine, GameReactor reports.

During a roundtable interview at E3 2013 attended by GameReactor, the MGS visionary said that he's currently seeking an external studio to handle the adaptation.

The original Metal Gear Solid was released in 1998 for PlayStation, and was ported later to Windows in 2000. The title is considered to be one of gaming's definitive titles. Kojima has entrusted the Metal Gear franchise to external developers in the past. Eternal Darkness and Too Human developer Silicon Knights handled the 2004 GameCube remake Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes.

Kojima Productions also drafted in Bayonetta developer Platinum Games for spin-off title Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which was released earlier in 2013.

Kojima Productions' Fox Engine was revealed in 2011 and is designed to be a cross-platform engine designed around the next-generation: Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

The Fox Engine is powering Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and is also behind Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.

Elsewhere in the interview, Kojima said the value of next-generation consoles was about far more than improved visual prowess. "For us it's not about upgraded graphics or anything like that," he said. "We're really looking forward to the fact that we can now use multiple devices to play a game. So whether it's smartphones or tablets, we can play Metal Gear Solid V on that tablet or smartphone and integrate that into what we have on the console. So people can play the game essentially 24 hours and be in the world of MGS anytime they like to."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/kojima-looking-to-remake-mgs1-with-next-gen-fox-engine-6410686

Other sites have reported Kojima is planning on remaking MGS1 & MGS2 (Sons of Liberty). I am a massive fan of the original MGS. It is my favourite PS1 game. It has an engaging story, well designed gameplay and tons of replay value. Naturally the game looks a bit ancient considering it's like 15 years old. However (as stated above) they already did a remake in the form of MGS: Twin Snakes.

Personally I think the original MSX games, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake are the games that deserve to be remade (I wonder if this is what Kojima really meant). They are like 25 years old. They both feature you playing as Solid Snake, with Big Boss as the bad guy. Since Big Boss is so popular right now and those games are so arkaic, I think MG & MG2 should be given some love.

Edited by Metal Gear -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another MGS Remake huh? If Kojima can still retain the atmosphere and charm of the original that was completely lost in Twin Snakes right around the 3 or 4th time Snake back-flipped for no reason *cue airplanejet noise*, then sure. 

What I'd be more interested in however, is an MGS2 remake. One of my favorite Metal Gears complete with the Fox-engine and possibly (but unlikely) re-added cut stuff like Snake escaping the flooded tanker, then sign me up.

But yeah like Bender said, I'd rather they remake the original Metal Gears first. Both have aged to the point of where it's unplayable for me. Which is a shame since those games are such a huge part of the timeline.

I'm still in the group that believes the after credits scene of MGSV will be Big Boss giving Snake the first mission from Metal Gear.

Now that you mention it, as much as iconic as Metal Gear Solid was Metal Gear 1 and 2 never get such treatment. Hell if MGS3 Substance didn't had them I don't think anyone would remember them outside the plot details.

And now with Big Boss slowly going down a dark road that we know he's gonna be an antagonist at some point and we do kind of need to see that happen. It just need a new coat of paint at this point though.

• Thumbs Up 2

『METAL GEAR SOLID THE LEGACY COLLECTION』Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTEiSP-gb_Y

Here is a bit of interesting news:

Kojima looking to remake MGS1 with next-gen Fox engine.

Another MGS Remake huh?

Nope:

Hideo Kojima Not Actively Looking to Remake Metal Gear Solid With the Fox Engine, Metal Gear Solid V Baddie is “Probably Exactly who you Think it is”

Update: It now looks like the MGS remake news was based on a mistranslation, with Kojima tweeting that ‘There’s a rumor about remaking MGS1+2, but that’s not true. It has been modified in the thread or something.” “Such mistranslation happens when I do itw w/media abroad. In net era, the funnier eye-catchy gossip gets attention than the original article. This mistranslation could happen when translating into Japanese/ simply misunderstood by media. No one would read the original article.” “I’ve said “I’d want to remake MGS1 w/Fox Engine if poss, but we still have “V” and other prioritized titles that its impossible to make@Kojipro”. But he added that “wouldn’t mind if a talented creator from an outside studio could this happen.”

Original story: Hideo Kojima was behind one of the more elaborate trolls hoaxes in video games recently, with The Phantom Pain from Moby Dick Studios and Joakim Mogren being shown off at the VGAs, following a reveal of something called Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes, only to have them turn out to be the parts of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

As it turns out, the original plan wasn’t to show the world Ground Zeroes when they did, but as Hideo Kojima told GameReactor, “it was the 25th anniversary of Metal Gear and we really needed to showcase something we hadn’t shown before. So Fox Engine and Ground Zeroes - although it wasn’t [the] time that we’d like to – we released it at that time.”

The Phantom Pain’s story is a little less interesting, with Kojima revealing that they wanted to push out the Fox Engine “in a very guerrilla way,” which led them to thinking up Moby Dick Studios, something he says “was kind of more of a childlike humor to me.”

Sticking with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, specifics weren’t given about who Snake would be battling in the game, but Hideo Kojima did say, “it’s probably exactly who you think it is.”

Finally, with both the PS4 and Xbox One coming out this holiday season, Hideo Kojima thinks he’ll buy both (though being sent one for free is more likely), but made a joke of, “from the price point, probably PS4.”

1) How will MGS: Ground Zeroes be released?

MGS: Ground Zeroes acts as a prologue to MGSV: The Phantom Pain i.e. they're two parts of the same story. The confusion is whether Ground Zeroes will be released separately - and if so, how. I think it will be released before MGSV, perhaps winter 2013, and likely through a unique distribution channel (e.g. as a digital download or as a 'demo' given away with another Konami game, say, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2). Konami gave away the MGS2 tanker demo with mech battler Zone of the Enders on PS2, so there is a precedent - but Kojima created both of those games, unlike Castlevania. It's unclear whether Konami could 'force' Kojima to agree to bundle Ground Zeroes with Lords of Shadow 2, but there would be a clear business case i.e. some folk would buy the Castlevania title purely to play Ground Zeroes.

A more interesting experiment would be releasing Ground Zeroes as a digital download on PSN and Xbox Live. Speaking exclusively to CVG at E3, Kojima explained: "Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is the big game and within that the first prologue to it is Ground Zeroes". When we asked if it would be released separately, he replied: "We can't talk about how we're going to release it because we still haven't decided yet." If Ground Zeroes was bundled with MGSV, and sold as one game like the tanker section in MGS2, there'd be no need for secrecy or debate.

I spoke to Kojima in February, who said he was interested in a pilot episode model. "What I have in mind is something similar to a TV series; a TV series has pilots, you can test the waters before you jump completely into the project. So maybe a pilot takes one to two hours to complete that show the major points of the game. And that can be distributed via download channels, so the player can try it out before production continues... if it's successful, then you can continue with other subsequent chapters."

Kojima is quite deliberate during interviews and it isn't too assumptive to suggest he's talking about the structure of Ground Zeroes and MGSV. Taking the structure to its logical conclusion could MGS: Ground Zeroes form a central hub, with subsequent chapters of MGSV sold like DLC episodes later on? Given the current attitude to digital-only games, that might be a step too far for folk who'd rather buy one big, finished, game on a disc. But... it is more progressive, and the game's potential plot structure could be a further clue.

2) Could MGSV's plot be episodic?

This is speculation, but seeing as MGS: Ground Zeroes likely ends with Snake entering a coma, isn't this a perfect structure for an episodic game delivered from a central hub? Snake's coma is your 'base', and it would be easy to add geographically diverse chapters, possibly across time periods, by explaining it as Snake exploring his subconscious - almost like the Animus in Assassin's Creed, a game Kojima is known to admire. MGSV could be as straightforward as it seems, of course, progressing from MGS: Ground Zeroes in 1974 > nine year coma > Afghanistan in 1984. However, certain elements and themes from the trailer don't add up, suggesting an uncertain chronology.

In MGS: Ground Zeroes, the trailer featured a lens flare effect with a telltale sound effect every time the camera focused on bright light or an incongruous piece of technology. Others speculated that the light pattern is a genetic code. Could the light be a form of intrusion, like a doctor shining a light into Snake's eyes during a coma? Or is MGSV a form of VR training exercise, taking place many years later than we suspect?

I explored this idea more fully in the 'Swoosh Code Conspiracy'. Of course, this might be over thinking it, but the theory bears investigation. Thematically, there is justification for a game set from within Snake's subconscious reflecting on his life.

3) Race and history repeating

MGSV's themes are race and revenge, with Kojima talking of a 'false spiral' passed between generations: a cycle of history repeating as the wronged try to avenge their past. Crudely, the same destructive cycle as seen in, say, Ireland, Africa or Israel.

What if MGSV isn't Snake creating history - but reliving it? The plot could explore how a chain of revenge might be broken in order to create a better future. In his pre-E3 interview, Snake's new voice actor Kiefer Sutherland said he enjoyed the challenge of "Trying to isolate what Snake wants for the future... and how does the past weigh on him?"

A coma is one device for skipping time periods. While we're led to believe Snake awakes from a coma in 1984, this would deviate from the established MGS timeline (which is admittedly woolly, and could be ret-conned). In the MGS canon Big Boss enters two big comas: the first in 1972 (where his DNA is taken for the Les Enfants Terrible project) and the second in 1999 following the events of Zanzibar Land, chronicled in MG2: Solid Snake on MSX.

Big Boss is defeated in battle by none other than Solid Snake, his genetic son. Big Boss' badly burned body is recovered by The Patriots and placed in a nanomachine-induced coma. This is a stretch, but could MGSV take place within this 1999 coma, with Big Boss reliving the events of his life? It could be that The Patriots - and their AI network - are trying to recover data from his memory for their Next-Generation Special Forces project.

"Could MGSV take place within a 1999 coma, with Big Boss reliving his life?"

In truth, this might be too complex even for Kojima, but presents an interesting hypothesis. It would also explain the incongruous technology, such as the iDroid hologram map in 1974's MGS: Ground Zeroes. It might also explain why Kojima will let people create their own MGSV missions using tablets, as explained to CVG at E3. User-created missions make little sense for the plot, since they'd ruin the unfolding of history. Well, unless they were for a stand-alone multiplayer mode, or part of a VR training program - where the ability to re-write history would make more sense.

It'd certainly fit the narrative of ultra-conspiracy theorists who think David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake is set to return.

4) Will David Hayter return? Behold 'New Coke' theory

It's too exhausting to explain but some die-hard MGS fans believe David Hayter will return to voice Snake (whoever that might be) in MGSV and his departure is part of a big in-joke. See the 'New Coke' diagram attached.

Is this true? Personally, I find it hard to believe - Hayter's twitter timeline reads like the authentic reaction of a man losing the job he's most famous for, especially when he started asking his fans how they'd react if he was replaced (cc'ing Kojima in, as if in desperation). Still, he's an actor, and feigning credibility comes with the turf.

image_304987_940.jpg

Clutching slightly, Kojima has never outright said that David Hayter won't return, only talked around the subject - citing the need for a new actor for a new style of MGS game (watch the post GDC interview with Geoff Keighley). During the Konami pre-E3 presentation, Avid Arad, producer of the MGS movie, spoke indirectly about Hayter saying, "A friend of mine used to be Snake". From a PR perspective, why let him say that at all if Hayter was upset and never returning?

Whether or not Hayter returns, the key question is whether Solid Snake, star of MGS2 and MGS4, will appear. Kojima was suspiciously coy when quizzed by CVG at E3.

Kojima's answer is highly enigmatic, and with many speculating that Eli from the MGSV trailer is Liquid Snake, it only increases speculation that his brother Solid Snake could exist within the MGSV universe.

The bigger question might be whether he appears as a child... or a rookie soldier in Outer Heaven (1995) or the Zanzibar Land disturbance (1999). The latter plays neatly into what might be MGSV's biggest twist...

5) Solid Snake is the bad guy

Ok, this is potentially fan-baiting speculation, but we've outlined the chain of events that get us here. If MGSV does have a fractured chronological narrative, and we see events unfold through Big Boss' eyes... then his main enemy, in the events of 1995 and 1999, would be his son Solid Snake. It'd certainly explain why Hayter has been mysteriously vanished from the series, for fear of spoiling the big reveal.

Furthermore, it'd be an epic twist to face off against the 'hero' we're more accustomed to playing. In fact, it'd be a reverse of MGS3, where we played as Big Boss - who had previously only been known as the series' villain.

I'm saying this partly in playful jest, but Kojima's view on MGSV's villain is intriguing, as he told CVG at E3:

CVG: Moby Dick seems to be a big theme in the game. If Snake is the captain full of revenge, then who plays the part of the whale?

Kojima: "We can't say at this time! We're still putting out the first couple of trailers and that will be a great surprise. It would ruin a lot of people's excitement to the game if we revealed that. When we're a bit closer to release we can talk more about it but right now we are not at the stage to discuss the villains.

"We've actually been getting a lot of questions like this and as much as we'd like to say who the villain is, we need to make sure that information comes out at the right time. Stay tuned."

Konami has released a short video interview with MGSV art director Yoji Shinkawa.

Shinkawa designed Solid Snake in MGS1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Cqlltl07g&feature=player_embedded

SECOND HALF OF PHANTOM PAIN WILL RETCON FIRST HALF

http://www.p4rgaming.com/hideo-kojima-says-last-half-of-mgsv-will-retcon-the-first-half-of-the-game/

Christ Kojima.

an interview with Famitsu Weekly, Kojima admitted that he took a week-long break while writing Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Painand had completely forgotten what happened in the first half of the story when writing the last half.“When I wrote the story, I had forgotten most of the details in the first half so when I put the two halves together, I realized that they did not completely line up,” admitted Kojima,

“I had forgotten the original intentions of characters like Ocelot and Kaz so by the second half of the story, their actions made no sense. I also completely forgot about Huey and never wrote a conclusion to his story. Combining these two parts was like trying to fit two jigsaw pieces that just don’t go together.”“When I tried to fix the first half of the story to better match the second, I ended up creating further inconsistencies with Metal Gear Solid 3,Portable Ops, and Peace Walker,” explained Kojima, “Then I tried rewriting the second half of the story to better match the first half and it ended up conflicting with established details in Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, andMetal Gear Rising. I was also informed that the story seemed to completely ignore the existence of the original Metal Gear Solid.

.”When he was asked on how he reconciled all these plot points, Kojima responded, “I had to make a decision on how I wanted to do the least amount of damage to the Metal Gear storyline so I decided to leave both halves ofThe Phantom Pain the way they are. So as of right now, they are completely inconsistent with each other. Either way, I am sure I can fix all of the mistakes in the sequel or the next one although I think I might be running out of time until Metal Gear happens. Maybe I will just write that and Metal Gear 2 out completely as a dream or something.”

Kojima also admitted that at one point while writing The Phantom Pain, he thought the main character was Solid Snake instead of Big Boss and had to redo over thirty pages of dialogue.

He even forgot the game was about BB and not SS!

Based Kojima

Edited by Nintendoga
  • Thumbs Up 3

SECOND HALF OF PHANTOM PAIN WILL RETCON FIRST HALF

http://www.p4rgaming.com/hideo-kojima-says-last-half-of-mgsv-will-retcon-the-first-half-of-the-game/

Christ Kojima.

He even forgot the game was about BB and not SS!

Based Kojima

Yeah fake site, that site has nothing but parody articles don't believe a single thing from there. 

This is like the 5th time someone linked to P4rgaming taking them seriously. It's hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 8

• 1 month later...

A bit or news regarding an approximate release date for MGSV

On 14 August, Konami released information – shared via David Gibson – concerning the release of Metal Gear Solid V and the wait could be a long one.

" Konami will release Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain some time in 2014 or early 2015. Specifically, the release will take place during the next fiscal year – between April 2014 and March 2015."

- This is pretty much what most people have been guessing. I would put money on a release date of March 2015.

"Konami will release a smaller, unannounced Metal Gear Solid title before March 2014."

- Which will likely be Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine

Ground Zeroes has already been announced, so it can't be that.

Another spin-off maybe?

True, but the thing is, Metal Gear Solid titles are normally unveiled well in advance - a few years - before being released (like MGS4 and MGR: Revengeance were). Kojima said GZ is going to be a smaller title, and it's going to be an open world game but on a smaller scale to The Phantom Pain.

Ground Zeroes was announced in 2012, so a release date of 2014 makes sense.

Edited by -Bender- Wolverine
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, I probably won't be here then to play MGSV! Wait, I wasn't gonna get a next gen console until 2016 anyway(or whenever KH3 comes out.:P) well I'm still bummed, but I wasn't gonna be able to play it anyways lol!

Hopefully they realese a full version of Sins of the Father before the end of next year. I need a clean version!

Edit: Also Bender, key word "unannounced" :P.

Edited by Xemnas

C'mon, Metal Gear Ac!d 3! That'd be a reason to get a Vita for me.

Ghost Babel 3DS would also be acceptable.

• Thumbs Up 2