Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

You are free to talk about info gained from leaks and broken street dates so long as the information is housed under spoiler tags.

• Thumbs Up 2

Question: are we allowed to talk about the street date being broken for MGS5: GZ? if so, is it okay we talk about the spoilers so long as spoiler tags are attached?

Street date was broken a few days ago but this place has been quiet about it.

The street date has been broken? Where?

EDIT:

MGS: Ground Zeroes 'on sale' in UAE over a week ahead of release

"The Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes are reported to already be on sale in the United Arab Emirates - over one week ahead of the game's official release.

Reports that the game's street date had been broken emerged over the weekend, with multiple photos suggesting that the game was already on general sale.

The game isn't due to launch in the UK next Friday, March 21. The PlayStation 4 version is not believed to have been sold early.

Don't expect Ground Zeroes to go on sale early in the UK as a result though. UK retailers could face hefty fines for breaking the game's street date unless given explicit permission by publisher Konami."

Source neogaf.com

yep, more information here

You are free to talk about info gained from leaks and broken street dates so long as the information is housed under spoiler tags.

Thanks. wasn't sure because everybody has been quiet for the past 2 days now.

So, Skullface is a dick. yeah, ~ending spoilers~

Appearently the ending is that Paz is getting that surgery we saw in the red band trailer to get rid of a bomb that was implanted in her. but then we come to find out that Paz has a second bomb...somewhere...and it blows while Paz is jumping out of a helicoptor, the bomb's explosion hits the 'copter and takes it down, leaving Big Boss injured and in a coma.

Oh and also Skullface forces Chico to have sex with Paz at gunpoint, but thats in an optional audio log. yeeeeeep...

• Thumbs Up 1

yep, more information here

Thanks. wasn't sure because everybody has been quiet for the past 2 days now.

So, Skullface is a dick. yeah, ~ending spoilers~

Appearently the ending is that Paz is getting that surgery we saw in the red band trailer to get rid of a bomb that was implanted in her. but then we come to find out that Paz has a second bomb...somewhere...and it blows while Paz is jumping out of a helicoptor, the bomb's explosion hits the 'copter and takes it down, leaving Big Boss injured and in a coma.

Oh and also Skullface forces Chico to have sex with Paz at gunpoint, but thats in an optional audio log. yeeeeeep...

That must be how Big Boss loses his left arm.

So Chico being forced to have sex with Paz must be the audio rape scene that has been mentioned.

but then we come to find out that Paz has a second bomb...somewhere...

It's in that extra place girls have. (SSMB Description Rated PG)

Game seems really dark, but in a good way. One of the things that bothered the hell out of my in the past (especially in MGS4) were the arbitrary tragic backstories summarised by long exposition. Otacon's past in MGS2 was really badly handled because of this, and Drebin's Happy BNB Storytime was fucking horrible

I'm glad this is hidden away and left relatively tasteful and ambiguous. There are a lot of interesting places they can take these characters now. 

Some people are theorizing that

Chico later grows up to be Decoy Octopus. The ages match, it fits what we know of Decoy Octopus (constantly changing identities to run away from his past seems fitting considering how completely and irreversibly 

broken Chico would be after the horrible things he's endured at Camp Omega), and it would explain Octopus' relation to Big Boss.

It's in that extra place girls have. (SSMB Description Rated PG)

Game seems really dark, but in a good way. One of the things that bothered the hell out of my in the past (especially in MGS4) were the arbitrary tragic backstories summarised by long exposition. Otacon's past in MGS2 was really badly handled because of this, and Drebin's Happy BNB Storytime was fucking horrible

I'm glad this is hidden away and left relatively tasteful and ambiguous. There are a lot of interesting places they can take these characters now. 

Some people are theorizing that

Chico later grows up to be Decoy Octopus. The ages match, it fits what we know of Decoy Octopus (constantly changing identities to run away from his past seems fitting considering how completely and irreversibly 

broken Chico would be after the horrible things he's endured at Camp Omega), and it would explain Octopus' relation to Big Boss.

I wasn't sure because they were either saying 'Anus bomb' or 'Vagina bomb', 4chan is hard to tell whos telling fact from lulz sometimes. either one is sick, Skullface is twisted...

I saw that, its a pretty good theory, but some are theorizing that he later becomes Grey Fox too, Oh 4chan :|

I wasn't sure because they were either saying 'Anus bomb' or 'Vagina bomb', 4chan is hard to tell whos telling fact from lulz sometimes. either one is sick, Skullface is twisted...

I saw that, its a pretty good theory, but some are theorizing that he later becomes Grey Fox too, Oh 4chan :|

The "Gray Fox is Punished Snake" theory has been around for a while, lol. A lot of hints in the trailers.

1) In the scene where Big Boss is said to be in a coma, Kaz's "what about him?" hints at a third (unseen) wounded man being present.

2) We're seeing that scene from the third man's point of view. And when Punished Snake then wakes up (nine years later, apparently), we're seeing things from his perspective. Third man = Punished Snake?
3) Punished Snake has a piece of shrapnel in his skull. It's already there when the hospital is under attack (you can see it under the bandage). There's no piece of shrapnel in Big Boss's skull when he falls into a coma.
4) Punished Snake somehow still has his head bandaged after nine years of coma. Maybe that's from a wound sustained during the attack of the hospital (and that may also explain the sudden piece of shrapnel, but would the staff really have the time to deal with something like that in those circumstances?). Maybe that's from some other, recent procedure.
5) When the hospital is under attack, Punished Snake is helped by a mysterious man who calls himself "Ishmael". "Ishmael"' seems to have the same voice as Punished Snake (Kiefer Sutherland), his face is completely hidden by a bandage, he says at one point "I" but immediately corrects to "we", he points to Punished Snake when he's asked who he is, and he doesn't seem willing to offer much needed physical help. A theory is that "Ishmael" is a figment of Punished Snake's imagination. Could be because of that piece of shrapnel, could be because of that Psycho Mantis-looking boy, could be because Punished Snake has identity issues.
6) Kojima might be trying to reference Metal Gear Solid's Fox Hound members once again (after the BB Corps in Metal Gear Solid 4). Eli most likely is Liquid Snake. Ocelot obviously is Revolver Ocelot. Quiet is a female sniper like Sniper Wolf. Code Talker seems to be a native American shaman like Vulcan Raven. The floating boy with the gasmask might be a younger Psycho Mantis. All that's left is Decoy Octopus. Maybe Skull Face is filling that spot. Maybe Punished Snake is a Big Boss decoy.

From GAF. All speculation from the trailers and gameplay shown at E3 last year. The Gray Fox stuff is a stretch, but I do buy into the theory that Punished Snake really is someone else. Possibly Decoy Octopus.

Kojima had a "Ask me anything" interview on Twitch. Host Geoff Kingly

One of the questions asked was what was his favorite Metal Gear

“This has to be Metal Gear Solid 1,” Kojima said through a translator.

“Up to that point I had been in games as a game designer only. With Metal Gear Solid 1, I was fortunate enough to handle the role of producer, to handle the economic side, also as a game creator.”    

“I had to do pretty much everything for that game, which was very tough,” Kojima recalls. It was a very difficult time, but at the same time it was really fun.”   

“Neither I nor anyone else expected Metal Gear Solid to sell at all, so I was fortunate, because I didn’t have to think, ‘I have to sell this game this much’ so pretty much all I did was, put in that game all the things I liked. To achieve that, we went for military training, we went to SWAT team demonstrations.”    

He concludes, “I didn’t think at all of how to sell well because I didn’t expect it to sell. Also, people surrounding me didn’t have expectations. I didn’t have the pressure of ‘you have to sell this much,’ so that was really good.”

Entire interview in question

So I've noticed Ground Zeroes is on sale on the PSN store.....is that like...legit? I'm from NA btw

edit: Nvm, it was a preorder, didn't see it at first

The PSN trophies for Ground Zeroes have been released. They are the same as the Xbox trophies which were leaked last year (and posted in this topic I think).

There's no Platinum trophy, which isn't surprising with the game being so short. No doubt The Phantom Pain will have like 60 trophies:

Reunion - Bronze
Reunite with Chico or Paz

Downfall - Bronze
Clear the "Ground Zeroes" mission

Genesis - Bronze
Clear a Side Op or Extra Op

Accomplished - Bronze
Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops)

Skilled - Silver
Clear any mission (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank

Hero - Gold
Clear all missions (including Side Ops and Extra Ops) with a S-rank

Rescue - Bronze
In the "Ground Zeroes" mission, rescue the prisoner to be executed and extract him via chopper

Depth - Bronze

Clear the "Eliminate the Renegade Threat" Side Op by extracting both targets

Pacifist - Bronze
Clear the "Intel Operative Rescue" Side Op without killing a single enemy

Infiltration - Bronze
Clear the "Classified Intel Acquisition" Side Op while riding in the back of a truck

Extraction - Bronze
In the "Destroy the Anti-Air Emplacements" Side Op, rescue and extract all prisoners via chopper

Reminiscence - Bronze
Recreate all scenes in the "Déjà-Vu" Extra Op

Unlocked - Bronze
Unlock all trials

Information - Bronze
Obtain all cassette tapes

Insignia - Bronze
Obtain all XOF unit patches

All speculation from the trailers and gameplay shown at E3 last year. The Gray Fox stuff is a stretch, but I do buy into the theory that Punished Snake really is someone else. Possibly Decoy Octopus.

Very little is known about Decoy Octupos. I found this on MetalGear Wiki. It might be rubbish, but it's interesting all the same:

"Born in Mexico, Decoy Octopus later moved to Hollywood and became a successful actor and SFX artist. Afterwards, he was recruited by the CIA for his exceptional skills in mimicry, where he was assigned to impersonate government VIPs on top secret missions, and requested that the military to give him a full mental deprogramming after missions to avoid becoming mentally confused about his identity. He later left the CIA to join the FOXHOUND unit.

Octopus was fluent in a dozen languages. At least some of these languages were French, German, Spanish, and Ebonics. At some point in his life, he had his hairline, cheekbones, jaw, and nasal bones shaved down, and cut off his ears to make disguising himself easier, and had computerized implants which allowed for him to change his voice."

If it isn't the real Big Boss you play as (at the start) in TPP, then my money is on Frank Jaeger. He is the only soldier to have earned the highest code name of (Gray) 'Fox' which Big Boss gave to him. He was Big Boss most trusted lieutenant.

I understood the theory that Ishmael is Gray Fox since he's all covered up, but I don't quite get why he would be Punished Snake. "Oh by the way you're actually this totally different character that you had no chance of reasonably guessing you were because magic surgery" would be kind of a weak twist. It's possible, but I'm not sure what the point would be.

...could Punished Snake maybe be Solidus? I can't remember exactly when he was supposed to have been created or what exactly he was up to in the mid-eighties (the stuff he did with Raiden in Africa was a little later, right?), but at least he actually looks like Big Boss. Although he'd have to have regrown an eye at some point...

Octopus was fluent in a dozen languages. At least some of these languages were French, German, Spanish, and Ebonics. At some point in his life, he had his hairline, cheekbones, jaw, and nasal bones shaved down, and cut off his ears to make disguising himself easier, and had computerized implants which allowed for him to change his voice."

pardon me what

pardon me what

Ebonics = African American Vernacular English.

He knew how to fluently talk in street yo.

I know what it means, it's just completely weird. Did he learn at the same institution as the Jive-talking old lady from Airplane?

Actually that's not completely impossible; Drebin from MGS4 was a reference to The Naked Gun, so Kojima's probably a Leslie Nielsen fan.

It's funny, because Ebonics is actually a dialect than a different language. It's still English, but it's more like the difference between a New Yorker and a Texan in their speech ("Youse" for NY, "Ya'll" for us here in Texas).

So someone seems to have fudged that part up in listing as a language. laugh.png

It's funny, because Ebonics is actually a dialect than a different language. It's still English, but it's more like the difference between a New Yorker and a Texan in their speech ("Youse" for NY, "Ya'll" for us here in Texas).

So someone seems to have fudged that part up in listing as a language. laugh.png

Ohh Kojima, you silly sausage~

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain may get a release date in "Early 2015" according to a message from Konami.

Reddit user Hitzkolpf noted that registering a copy of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes triggers the below message to appear, which suggests that you'll be able to get bonus DLC for the follow-up game early next year.

O3IV4J7.jpg

It has previously been thought that TPP will have a release date near 31/3/2015.

Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes review round-up: Phantom Pain prologue is short but sweet

All the scores in one place

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/454383/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-review-round-up-phantom-pain-prologue-is-short-but-sweet/

The PS4 version currently has a metacritic score of 75, and 77 for Xbox1.

Unsurprisingly the complaints are pretty much all about the length of the game. There doesn't seem to be any issues with the gameplay mechanics. Friday can't come fast enough! biggrin.png

If you want to see a very fast playthrough of the main mission in GZ, then check out this youtube video:

I'm not going to watch any cutscenes until I play the game.

I'm waiting for Alex Fung's playthrough TBH, when I wasn't playing the MG games his playthroughs were immersive. even if I watch the game ahead of time I'm still going to get it plus hes a 100% run kind of guy so I can learn all the tricks before hand.

Just finished the main mission. I'd absolutely recommend it, it's amazingly fun and I can't wait to replay it and improve.

Gonna play with my Audio Technica headphones for max immersion. c8

Jeez, Big Boss always seems to get critically injured by the most embarrassing things. Ocelot shoots out his eye by accident, he's put in a ten-year coma by a vagina bomb, and then Solid Snake kills him with an aerosol flamethrower. I feel kind of bad for the guy.

...also, I guess the pledge to close Guantanamo in the Metal Gear universe was made by President Crotchgrab from MGS2? Kind of mutes the poignancy a bit.

Who else bought the game?

I think the best word for me to describe it with is "pure". It is the "purest" gameplay we've ever had in Metal Gear since MGS2. Everything feels organic and smooth, there's a ton of freedom to allow you to play any way you want, and lots of bloat the series has accumulated over the years like camouflage (which is fantastic in an outdoor setting, but unnecessary in bases like Shadow Moses, Big Shell, and Camp Omega), instant access to an entire armory of weapons, and unnecessary items have been cut, and it seriously feels great. No longer do you have to go into your items menu to select "scope" every time you want to use the binoculars, or even the radar, AP Sensor, or directional microphone. The binoculars are infinitely more useful now due to the lack of a radar, as you can use it to "tag" enemies from afar, setting a small symbol above their heads that allows you to keep an eye on them, and you can also listen in on enemy conversations with the built in directional microphone. The game now has a little white indicator that fades in when you're in danger of being caught, as well as a slow-mo "reaction time" effect that let's you shoot out a guard before they call for backup. Both of these can be turned off, and doing so increases your score, but I did really appreciate the alert indicator in particular. It's much less distracting than the threat ring from MGS4.

The level design allows for so much freedom, it's seriously amazing. I've had three runs so far and none of them were alike at all. I can see what Kojima meant now when he said that "when one hundred people play a mission, you'll see one hundred different stories playing out". It feels like you're really in control.

Game's fucking good. I had more fun with that one mission than I did in all of MGS4 and Peace Walker.

• Thumbs Up 1

51RPmyEdIrL._.jpg

"International video game sensation Metal Gear Solid provided 25 issues of pulse-pounding, intrigue-weaving, universe-expanding action from celebrated artists Ashley Wood and Rufus Dayglo - and now the entire series is available in this oversized collection!"

A release date of 8/7/2014 on Amazon.co.uk (£55.99) and Amazon.com ($47.79).

Angry Joe reviews the game. He finds the game to be great gameplay-wise, but he has something to say about the pricing.