Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

Well, if you play chronologically, the jump from Peace Walker to MGS1 will kinda shock you. Personally, I'd play it by release date, makes the gameplay changes so much less...shocking.

Also, the story doesn't exactly rely on you to play chronologically, as playing by release date will still introduce you to all the characters you need to know to understand the latest main game in that collection, Metal Gear Solid 4.

Hmm, I think it would be a good idea to start playing from Metal Gear all the way up to Peace Walker. Thanks! =D

Now I just need to get my PS3 back so I can play the MSX games.

Edit: oh so I don't have to play those if I don't want to? I'll think about it then.

Play in release order, the changes in gameplay style will be less jarring and the story is told quite well as it fits together without completely spoiling the prequels (although MGS4's ending is an exception).

But if you do want to play chronologically:

MGS3 - (Portable:Ops) - Peace Walker - (MGS5) - Metal Gear* - MG:SS* - Metal Gear Solid - MGS2 - MGS4

*Both Metal Gears released for the MSX are on the MGS3HD

h1RSLLX.jpg

So I got this in the mail today. Yep, it's time for me and my bf to finally get into this series. Only one problem...

Where do we even begin? Should we play the games chronologically or by release date? I know there's someone here who can answer this!

Are MGS and Special Missions download codes or are they on disc?

Hmm, I think it would be a good idea to start playing from Metal Gear all the way up to Peace Walker. Thanks! =D

Now I just need to get my PS3 back so I can play the MSX games.

Edit: oh so I don't have to play those if I don't want to? I'll think about it then.

Well, you don't have to play any to understand another really. For the most part everything you need to know is explained in game. MGS 4 is the one where you may have the most problems.

As for the MSX games, they're both pretty good, especially 2. So while they're somewhat irrelevant to the later stories and stuff has been retconned, I'd definitely play them

Are MGS and Special Missions download codes or are they on disc?

Well, you don't have to play any to understand another really. For the most part everything you need to know is explained in game. MGS 4 is the one where you may have the most problems.

As for the MSX games, they're both pretty good, especially 2. So while they're somewhat irrelevant to the later stories and stuff has been retconned, I'd definitely play them

Playing MGS2 without playing MGS1 first would make you miss out on a lot of really pivotal stuff. You won't have no idea what's going on like with 4, but it's still much better to play MGS1 first.

Gabz, play in release order. It's better that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, when I first played MGS2 I had barely played the first game since I didn't have a PS1 until really late and I moved to Germany not too soon after. I didn't really have a hard time with anything. I just thought stuff like, "Oh, so he's from MGS1. OK.". I agree with the fact that you should play through them in release order, but I don't think it's necessary.

They're download codes.

Thanks.

Well, when I first played MGS2 I had barely played the first game since I didn't have a PS1 until really late and I moved to Germany not too soon after. I didn't really have a hard time with anything. I just thought stuff like, "Oh, so he's from MGS1. OK.". I agree with the fact that you should play through them in release order, but I don't think it's necessary.

Eh, not necessary for basic comprehension, yeah. But I mean, if you have the means there's no reason not to haha. It's definitely necessary for the full experience.

Just wanna chip in here -- playing MGS 2 before MGS 1 is definitely only half the experience.

The creepy sense of deja vu that begins to set in, the whole 'S3' thing; all of it is more disturbing and suspicious for someone who's either played or watched all of MGS 1

, and for that, I'd say it's almost essential.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just wanna chip in here -- playing MGS 2 before MGS 1 is definitely only half the experience.

The creepy sense of deja vu that begins to set in, the whole 'S3' thing; all of it is more disturbing and suspicious for someone who's either played or watched all of MGS 1, and for that, I'd say it's almost essential.

Bro, spoilers.

Eeeeh, I don't know, man... I didn't really spoil anything except for

a throwaway mention of the codename of a plot point.

However, since it's a murky issue, I'll concede.

Sorry guys.

Just started MGS2 myself and while the controls take some getting use to (stop throwing and do the choke dangit) its pretty nice.

When I first started (MGS 4), I had no clue how to choke instead of doing the slam. I can't remember if it's the same for 2, but I believe you have to let go of the stick before pressing the CQC button.

Just started MGS2 myself and while the controls take some getting use to (stop throwing and do the choke dangit) its pretty nice.

The only thing I had an issue with was the firefights, I actually barely used melee and mostly stuck to the tranquilizer. CQC was amazing in MGS3 though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course the real challenge in MGS2 is to get all 242 Dog Tags (off of the guards) in the Plant chapter and all 152 Dog Tags in the Tanker chapter. Not to mention getting the highest 'Big Boss' ranking in Extreme and European Extreme modes. I put myself through hell getting those achievements years ago, but it was well worth it. I find MGS2 boring these days, but there's no denying the combat, gameplay and graphics were a big step forward from MGS1.

I've done 90% completion in Ground Zeroes. I can't get the S Rank in the 'Eliminate the Renegade Threat' side op on Hard mode. I know what I need to do to meet the criteria to get the S rank, it's just that I can't do it. Urghhhhh!

Apparently Kojima has confirmed that you will be able to speak to Ocelot over the codec in The Phantom Pain! That - I believe - is the first time in the history of MGS games that you will be able speak to Ocelot (Troy Baker) over the codec. I hope the codec is two way conversation like in MGS1, 2, 3 etc. I don't like how the codec works in PW & TPP where people can talk to you, but Snake can't talk back.  

I played in chronological order and I never found the gameplay changes that shocking, I just went in thinking that each metal gear game had its different ways of playing and reset myself each time. that I wasn't dumb in thinking that every metal gear game was going to have the same features as the one I played before and for bonus points I understood this messy story a bit better.

I suggest chronological order if you can drop control schemes easy and re-adjust to new ones quick, Metal gear games do tend to keep common things between eachother new and old but just don't expect 1 certain feature to be in the next one because your playing newer titles ahead of older titles. hopefully down the line remakes of MG 1 & 2 and MGS 1,2,3 will fix this problem and we can retire the classic versions.

The only thing I had an issue with was the firefights, I actually barely used melee and mostly stuck to the tranquilizer. CQC was amazing in MGS3 though.

Yeah, the firefights that I did in the beginning were hard mostly because of the camera angle and the fact that first person is the only good way to shoot at enemies, so much that I actually ran out of tranqs near the end since trying to shoot Olga was like trying to hit a toothpick without first person aiming.

Yeah, the firefights that I did in the beginning were hard mostly because of the camera angle and the fact that first person is the only good way to shoot at enemies, so much that I actually ran out of tranqs near the end since trying to shoot Olga was like trying to hit a toothpick without first person aiming.

Take cover and peek from the side, then hold down Square and Snake will aim his gun. Release to shoot. Auto-aim, it's useful for those kinds of fights, even if it's finicky. Thankfully there are very few fights like that.

Take cover and peek from the side, then hold down Square and Snake will aim his gun. Release to shoot. Auto-aim, it's useful for those kinds of fights, even if it's finicky. Thankfully there are very few fights like that.

Okay, I'll try that then thanks.

I've completed 99% of MGS: Ground Zeroes.

9p8F2vT.png

That remaining 1% is proving most elusive to obtain. I need to S rank the 'Intel Operative Rescue' mission on Hard difficulty. I've A ranked it about 7 times but just can't get an S rank. It's the mission where you need to neutralise enemy soldiers, while you - Big Boss - are in a chopper trying to protect a mother base operative. Basically to get the S rank you need to neutralise all the enemy soldiers - by non-lethal method - without killing them (which also earns you a PSN trophy). Sounds simple, right? Wrong! The problem is that the chopper is constantly moving, so aiming is very hard. If you take too long to hit an enemy then Snake will get killed, often within seconds. The S rank requirement does allow you to have at least one retry and to kill at least one soldier, but the main difficulty is trying to neutralise the enemies driving vehicles before they hit the operative you're trying to protect. You can destroy the vehicle without hitting the enemy soldier, but sometimes this kills the enemy soldier and sometimes it doesn't.

It's not a big deal to 100% the game, just bragging rights, I guess. It's just a shame because that mission feels cheap rather than hard.

It's a still a really enjoyable game which has left me pumped for The Phantom Pain.

Here's some screenshots of some of my S ranks:

Hard mode S ranks:

qf0gXY5.png

KCLsjcW.png

7Ws0OHz.png

Normal mode S rank:

A571PrX.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It's great they're reprinting the MGS comic- I quite enjoyed it and the art does a good job of capturing the atmosphere- but I'd enjoy more if they got them to make further comics. IIRC they only did MGS 1 and 2.

Here's an LP of the Jamais Vu Extra Ops mission exlcusive to the Xbox versions of GZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_KRARx-MQE

It's okay, although it doesn't have quite the number of Easter Eggs and nostalgia vibe of the Deja Vu mission (exclusive to PS3 & PS4). You do get to listen to some of the music from MGR: Revengeance soundtrack which is neat.

I would have prefered to have had the Jamais Vu mission on the PS3/PS4 (as well as the Deja Vu mission) instead of the 'Intel Operative Rescue' side mission which I still can't S rank on hard mode for the life of me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I finally managed to S rank the Intel Operative Rescue mission on Hard mode:

zNpK8Gp.png

In the end I tried an unorthodox technique. When it came to some of the really tricky enemy soldier encounters, instead of using the Uragan-5 Pistol which holds non-lethal rounds - which takes too long to hit some enemies due it lacking accuracy - I used the standard rifle with lethal rounds. However, I only fired - briefly - at enemy soldiers bodies and legs which temporarily knocks them down without killing them. By the time they get back up Snake has already gone pasted them in the chopper.

As a result I didn't die once and got a 375 point bonus, and also a quick time of just over 10 minutes. I only killed a few enemies. I wasn't expecting this attempt to get an S rank so I was pleasantly surprised biggrin.png

I love this game.

This means I have now achieved 100% completion:

HWHayvl.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's an LP of the Jamais Vu Extra Ops mission exlcusive to the Xbox versions of GZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_KRARx-MQE

It's okay, although it doesn't have quite the number of Easter Eggs and nostalgia vibe of the Deja Vu mission (exclusive to PS3 & PS4). You do get to listen to some of the music from MGR: Revengeance soundtrack which is neat.

It was posted sometime back, exact video actually. but since 97% of everyone here got the PS version they either don't care or didn't impress them.

According to a report from Softpedia, a Spanish online retailer updated it's listings stating a release date of 12 March 2015 for The Phantom Pain. A PC version is also apparently listed.

Whilst a release date of March 2015 for TPP is expected, the online site started showing the date on 1st April, so it could just be an April Fools joke. Konami have not yet confirmed a release date.

Read a really fascinating analysis of the theming in MGS3 on GAF, I thought it'd be worth sharing with you guys. wink.png

The tragedy of Big Boss isn't that he becomes a bad guy, it's that he strives for an ideal that doesn't exist. After learning the truth about the Boss' defection, what he wants is to prevent another soldier from ever being the victim of political machinations again.He establishes Outer Heaven so soldiers can simply be soldiers, without being bound by the wills of suits and desk jockeys. But what he fails to realize is that there's no such thing as a neutral act of violence. A soldier fighting for Big Boss is no different than a soldier fighting for the Soviet Union. He becomes the thing he hates the most.

Snake Eater is a story about, above all things, perception. Remember that this was the first in the series to introduce the little thing where you can press R1 during cutscenes to see events through Snake's eyes. In doing so, we're given some extra insight into his character, even if it's just a jokey little bit where he's staring at Eva's chest while the Ocelots surround them. While it seems kinda small and insignificant, it's actually important enough that his eyes become one of the defining aspects of his character. His entire arc is illustrated through the first person view. MGS3 is a game where we see the lives of soldiers as through the campy lens of action movies(specifically modeled on James Bond and Rambo) before the facade is ripped away and we witness the true depth of their suffering. It's a campy action romp that ends as a tragedy. Honestly I think the way it plays with different tones is pretty genius.

The most important series of events in 3 is Snake's capture, torture and escape culminating in the boss fight with The Sorrow. The torture (In a microcosm of the whole game, the torture is first concealed behind a veil before it's gruesome nature is revealed) is the most graphic in the series up to this point, and there's certainly no way to "win" it like before. In Snake's cell we meet Johnny, who is actually somewhat of a warm and comforting presence. Johnny provides a humanity to all the enemy soldiers you've been facing thus far. He shows kindness to Snake, something rarely shown happening between opposing soldiers. Then the fight with the Sorrow confronts you(not just Snake, you) with your actions thus far, trying to make you rethink how callously you dispatch your foes. Now press R1 after all this happens. With his eye missing, Snake begins to quite literally see things differently. Most of the hidden R1 segments from here on out involve The Sorrow, the specter of death is shown to be guiding his every move. Snake doesn't kill Volgin, he's fried by a random bolt of lightning(summoned by the sorrow, natch). He's still beholden to forces beyond his control or comprehension. The final image we see is a POV shot of Snake tearing up as he stands before The Boss' grave. His vision is clouded here, just as his judgement will be. Literally and figuratively, he cannot see past his own pain. He is more or a less a slave to the traumas of his youth. His later ideals aren't based on any pragmatic view of what war should or shouldn't be, but just a personal desire to not be hurt in the same way again.

The important distinction between Big Boss and Solid Snake is that they're inversions of each other. Solid's story in MGS1 was all about him defying his "programming" and moving on to forge his own path despite what his genetic code(nevermind that nothing anyone in this game says about genes makes no fuckin sense, it's all metaphor) and the manipulations surrounding him were supposed to predetermine for him. On the other hand, when we meet Naked Snake he's still young and naive, but we the players know that in the future he will become a villain. In essence, his future is predetermined. Solid took what he learned about the world and used it to form his own set of values. Naked let them possess him and drive his every move. Moreover, Solid's eyepatch in 4 is on the opposite eye.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is about the folly of idolizing Solid Snake, and the danger of wanting to emulate him. The Solid Snake in this game is not the in-universe, canonical legendary soldier of Shadow Moses, but instead the video game character Solid Snake of Metal Gear Solid. And this video game character tells you not to take pixels at face value, but instead question who put the pixels there and the meaning behind them.

What I'm saying is, for Big Boss in MGSV to suddenly take charge and be the sole master of his destiny would contradict his entire character up to this point as well one of the series' main thematic conceits. Because well, being an independent man of action is an honorable and noble virtue, which is incompatible with the series' notions on war and conflict. War is a violation predicated entirely on lies and deceit, and participating in it of your own volition isn't meant to be admired or glorified. 

holy shit this is long. sorry if this all seems out of order, i could ramble about mgs for a while.

MGS3 really is a much smarter game than people give it credit for, which is sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

(even if 4 ruined it by explaining too much...).

Sssshhhh, that game doesn't exist.