Awoo.

Metal Gear Solid

SuperStingray

I don't think the graphics are particularly impressive, but the fact that it runs at a silky smooth 60fps more than makes up for it as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think the graphics are particularly impressive, but the fact that it runs at a silky smooth 60fps more than makes up for it as far as I'm concerned.

Discoid, I really have to ask, what graphics do look really impressive to you man O_O I mean seriously i'm not calling you out or anything but I legitimately wanna know?

Discoid, I really have to ask, what graphics do look really impressive to you man O_O I mean seriously i'm not calling you out or anything but I legitimately wanna know?

Hard to really say right now, since it's the start of a new generation and there aren't too many examples yet. Killzone looked really nice, and I think #DRIVECLUB and The Order both look incredible. Arkham Knight looks pretty great too from what little we've seen of it.

MGSV has really bad dithering on hair and the character models aren't particularly amazing (look at Big Boss' fingers) - it's not bad though. It's actually pretty appealing to look at. I just don't think it's notably impressive or anything.

You know what? I can wait a few hours. It'll be in English soon. I really like that thumbnail though.

Phantom Pain E3 2014 trailer is out (Japanese version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxG-mCWZcKI

Edit2: If this version is taken down sometime during the night, here's a webm version of the trailer, just not in 1080p obviously. http://a.pomf.se/gqcieu.webm

Edit: Holy fuckkk that was great!

Phantom Pain's gonna be that game next year....

That trailer was just

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

What in the flying fuck

Rex???

KH7eRxj.jpg

Haven't watched the railer, but I'd say it's ZEKE from Peace Walker

Don't wanna watch the trailers yet, but I thought I'd just pop in. Lovin' the GIF. 

Appreciate the spoiler tags guys, thanks.

Phantom Pain E3 2014 trailer is out (Japanese version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxG-mCWZcKI

Edit2: If this version is taken down sometime during the night, here's a webm version of the trailer, just not in 1080p obviously. http://a.pomf.se/gqcieu.webm

Edit: Holy fuckkk that was great!

Phantom Pain's gonna be that game next year....

That trailer was just

mgs5bcdefk6u2t.gif

What in the flying fuck

Rex???

KH7eRxj.jpg

Annnnnnnnnnnnd its gone, but I'd rather wait for the english trailer anyways.

And thats ZEKE, look at the feet, REX's feet were wider.

Haven't watched the railer, but I'd say it's ZEKE from Peace Walker

Seems like it might be the Metal Gear from the first game to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like it might be the Metal Gear from the first game to me.

That's exactly my thoughts.

KH7eRxj.jpg

It could still be Zeke from Peace Walker which was safely hidden at the bottom of the ocean when Mother Base was destroyed. It could also be a new Metal Gear, as pretty much every MGS game has a new version with a different name.

That said, the Metal Gear in the trailer does remind me of the one from the original game Metal Gear.

Love the music in the trailer.

Also, did you notice at the end of the trailer when you see the Metal Gear you also see Big Boss and Skull Face together. The same Skull Face who tried to kill Snake at the end of Ground Zeroes by putting a bomb up Paz's vagina. So what could this mean? Maybe Big Boss and Skull Face have formed and uneasy alliance to take on Cypher/Zero??????

Doesn't look like TX-55 to me. It could be a redesign, but I don't expect it to be that. The game takes place 11 years before MG, so I feel like it would be too early for it to be built already.. I think it'll be a rebuilt ZEKE or something new

IGN's impressions of TPP hand-off demo.

"Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain is an open-world Peace Walker sequel with heavy RPG elements, and I couldn’t be happier. The demo shown to us at E3 featured a very brief cinematic introducing Snake’s mission to infiltrate an Afghan village and obtain information regarding the imprisonment of Master Miller, and from there it was pure open-world gameplay.

Phantom Pain is an immediately stunning game. The scope of the mountainous landscape littered with canyons, livestock, villages, and creeks is staggering. Riding your horse across the plains brought shades of Red Dead Redemption, even down to the way the music would swell as you neared a dangerous area.

The first big surprise of the demo was the ability for Venom Snake (evidently that’s what he’s called now?) to use Peace Walker’s infinitely rad Fulton System to transport stunned enemies back to Mother Base and recruit them as your own personal Diamond Dog army. But humans are just the tip of this iceberg – everything from crates, to vehicles, to sheep can be skyhook-ed out of the world and brought back to your Big Shell-esque base of operations.

What’s even better is that you can chopper your way back to your fully-customizable Mother Base at any point in the game and wander around your creation. Seeing the spoils of my actions wandering about your base brought to mind shades of Skies of Arcadia and Suikoden, and I couldn’t be happier about that. Troops were practicing at shooting ranges, Snake could spare with his men to raise their levels, and we even spotted a young Revolver Ocelot gazing off longingly into the sunset.

Back on solid ground in Afghanistan, I was really impressed by the emphasis placed on approaching encounters in a non-lethal manner. If you want to build up your base, you can’t be John Rambo. Luckily Snake has a load of new tricks to help complete his mission without getting blood on his hand(s). Thanks to his prosthetic arm, you can attract guards by knocking wherever you are in the world, no wall needed. An active weather system brought a blinding sandstorm through the valley, and while it definitely obstructed the player’s vision, it also allowed Snake to move about under the cover of sand."

"Feels exactly like a Peace Walker sequel; all the features that were missing from Ground Zeroes are now back, and the game looks to be a much richer experience for it.

I love how Kojima's not afraid to learn and grow yet still manages to keep these tried and tested Metal Gear quirks relevant. The cardboard box, for example, has had an upgrade: you can now burst out of it to shoot at enemies then duck back inside. Being spotted while moving around in it is no longer the death sentence it once was, either - you can dive out of the box into cover and leave it there as a decoy. Cue a suspicious soldier, and zip! Tranq to the head. The cigarette is back, too - but this time it's an E-cigar, and is used as a means to speed up the day/night cycle. Hey; a guy's gotta relax some time.

The support marker from Peace Walker has had an upgrade, too. As well as air strikes and rations, you can now call in your team to scope out the area before you infiltrate it, allowing you to gain information on the placement of enemies beyond your immediate position.

A sense of playfulness makes a welcome return. While Ground Zeroes was a great game, it went for a much heavier tone than in previous instalments. But fultoning animals and waddling around in your tricked out cardboard box in The Phantom Pain is pure comedy, while incidental animations like your horse just casually taking a crap suggest Kojima's toilet humour is back with a welcome (depending on who you talk to) vengeance.

Of course, these features and quirks are spliced seamlessly into the fluid, stealth-focused gameplay introduced in Ground Zeroes. Big Boss is still a remarkably flexible protagonist, rolling and ducking and weaving in the playground of this fictional Afghanistan, and now he's even versatile on a horse; hanging off the side of his saddle in order to remain unseen feels like a hilariously implausible but totally ingenious new form of stealth.

The old is meeting the new in spectacular fashion in The Phantom Pain, and the 20 minutes we saw today left me desperate for more.  While the demo didn't give us enough of a taste on the game's story to form an opinion, based on gameplay alone The Phantom Pain is undoubtedly a highlight at this year's E3."

• Thumbs Up 2

So, I've just watched the trailer, and

Skull Face and Big Boss together? That was... surprising. I thought that one of Snake's goals in TPP was to get revenge for Ground Zeroes A.K.A. killing Skull Face. This isn't the old "enemies time up to face a greater threat (Cipher)", is it?

Uh, that horn's kinda freaking me out too.

At the end there, was Snake shooting his own dudes?

Very nice to watch though.

Good god am I hyped for this now, can't wait for this game to come out :)

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

managing-mother-base-in-metal-gear-solid

I guess you could say Snake is looking a bit sheepish.....

• Thumbs Up 3

The Phantom Pain’s PS4 gameplay will be broadcast live by Hideo Kojima tomorrow, June 19 at 11am UK.

Kojima announced this via twitter

"Tomorrow at Kojima Station (7pm JPT), we will show you the actual MGSV TPP gameplay demo(PS4). Pls note the presentation will be in English.

TPP gameplay presentation (30mins) equivalent to what we showed in E3 that only 600-800 people had witnessed. Will be at Kojima Station tmrw!"

Awesome. This means we get to see some of the mission where Snake has to rescue Kaz in Afghanistan. Including Snake using Fulton Recovery on a sheep tongue.png

Edit: Here's the 30 minute gameplay footage. It starts from 40 minutes into the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=y32F3jIMEUk

The music is lovely and Troy Baker sounds great as Ocelot.

I love the design of Mother Base.

This game looks incredible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jesus this game looks amazing, kojima productions has really outdone themselves with this one with how much creative freedom there is here and how nicely everything works. They definitely have got my money on this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the same E3 gameplay demo, this time with a frame-rate test.

There is the occasional frame-rate drop when the sand storm hits (after the gameplay starts) and when Snake arrives at Mother Base on the chopper. Other than that it's a rock-solid 60 fps. Very impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mL4Su2Q9Tc