Awoo.

Thoughts about Knuckles the Echidna?

Kid Mind

A little forwarning, Knuckles tends to starts some fiery debates here unlike every other forum. We've kinda discussed him so much in and out that you're not going to get anything different if you read past topics on the character.

That, and some of us have become rather sick of talking about the character because of those debates to the point that he's almost surpassing Shadow in that regard.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Ya know let's make a game out of this, let's see how long we can go without mentioning the "You know what"

Mentioning what? Whisper it to me...

Edited by Abominal Taz

What you talkin' bout Shadic?

CSS knows what I'm talkin about, but I'm referring to the M.E. in regards to Knuckles, that tends to get brought up a lot in discussions about Knuckles, and I wanted to see what we can talk about without it involved.

They need to stop making Knuckles look stupid. And they need to tone down his anger issues.

I hate how his gullibility and anger have become his main character traits.

Archie is the only one who treats the character with any respect nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 4

I want to play as him again. No, I don't want to go treasure hunting or sword fighting with him, I want a typical Sonic stage that lets me glide around and climb up walls. I miss that, and I don't like how my second-favorite Sonic character (#1 being Sonic himself) keeps getting nothing more than cameos.

• Thumbs Up 2

I had a strange thought the other day...

Canonically, does Knuckles actually have a name? Consider the possibility that because he had spent most of his life isolated with absolutely no social contact, he had no use for a name, but when Eggman showed up in his life, either Knuckles or Eggman named him after his tribe: the Knuckles Tribe, as they are actually called. It'd make more sense then his tribe being named after him.

I had a strange thought the other day...

Canonically, does Knuckles actually have a name? Consider the possibility that because he had spent most of his life isolated with absolutely no social contact, he had no use for a name, but when Eggman showed up in his life, either Knuckles or Eggman named him after his tribe: the Knuckles Tribe, as they are actually called. It'd make more sense then his tribe being named after him.

Here's a weird one I came up with: "Fists 'Knuckles' Ferpunching"

EDIT: Coming up with this name took me about 4 seconds.

Edited by thebluehedgehog

Knuckles is pretty much my favourite these days. As a character I really loved his introduction in Sonic 3 and was even more excited to be able to play as 'Red Sonic' back in the day haha. As a kid that's what I called him for the first little bit :P. I really loved his comic book series when I was younger too, as well as really excited when I saw the Sonic OVA for the first time at a video rental store and he was on the front.

I vastly prefer his classic incarnation though, his proportions were a lot nicer and he just had a bit of an edge to his look. Now his head feels really tiny compared to his body and his hands got super long and flat and his eyes got all...elongated. He was fine in Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2, but afterwards the design just went south (06 being the worst to me for him). As a character too I prefer his old-school self. Knuckles wasn't portrayed as dumb in those games, he was simply tricked. The guy was smart - he had traps all over the island and always seemed to be one step ahead of Sonic until the very end. I really dislike the way he is portrayed now as being angry and dumb, I picture him more or less how the movie portrayed him which is with a bit of an attitude not unlike Sonic's but a little more rough around the edges.

As an extension of this though, I really enjoyed Chronicles story for the large emphasis it had on Knuckles and his people. The gameplay itself is mediocre and I know some people have issues with the story, but for me I loved it. In fact I'd really enjoy having Shade around as a character as well to at least add some further deepening of what is arguably the series most compelling (and understandable) backstory arc. Which I mean saying that doesn't really mean much since the writing has never been top tier, however it is a far cry above Shadow's mess of a backstory that I'm glad SEGA has moved past.

All in all though I am eager to see if Knuckles appears again in the games as a playable character. He is my go to character for Sonic 3 and Knuckles (even if that means I don't get to play Death Egg D: ) as well as one of my favourite designs in the series. In short - I think Knuckles is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

They need to stop making Knuckles look stupid. And they need to tone down his anger issues.

I hate how his gullibility and anger have become his main character traits.

Archie is the only one who treats the character with any respect nowadays.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's like Sega is trying to make him Shadow edgy(Scowling, being more distant towards people, a general douche) to make him less of a fool than he originally was in both Sonic Adentures and Sonic 06. They need to stop it. Theres only one Shadow and one Knuckles to portray.

Anyways, Knuckles was my favorite character before Shadow was invented because he was simply cooler than Sonic at the time, but now that I look at it, Knuckles was a total fandom whore back when the classics were big. I mean he got his own movie cameo, comic book story, and had more or less was the breakout character.

So yeah, thank god I saw the light when SA2 came out.

Anyways, Knuckles was my favorite character before Shadow was invented because he was simply cooler than Sonic at the time, but now that I look at it, Knuckles was a total fandom whore back when the classics were big. I mean he got his own movie cameo, comic book story, and had more or less was the breakout character..

• Thumbs Up 7

Knuckles use to be my favorite character before he lost all importance (now it's Sonic but it's hard for me to have a favorite character when the only important ones are hero, sidekick and villain). He's jumped from the main cast front seat to the supporting cast back seat after Heroes which is fine if SonicTeam WOULD LET THE GODDANG SUPPORTING CAST HAVE A LITTLE MORE IMPORTANCE THEN STATING THE OBVIOUS IN A BOSS BATTLE... sorry about that. Me liking his character was one of the reasons tolerated the hunting levels in the Adventures.

I hate how he was portrayed in Riders, though I love his interactions with other characters (Is that not strange?) The Riders games really started the "hur hur Knuckles is dumbass" And it kept going. I think it also established that Knuckles has a hot temper in that game too, which is cool by me but it doesn't mean he has to get mad at every single thing.

In my vision, I always thought of Knuckles as a gullible character. Only gullible because he gives people the benifit of the doubt and easily hands out trust, not because he's a dumb. He's that one friend that will do anything for you if you ask him but will get pissed later if he found out you was just messing with him or using him.

......Are you fucking serious? I am being so real right now when I say this, but you accuse Knuckles of being a fandom whore, but completely ignore Shadow's very obvious whoring after his debut?...I can't even fathom words to describe your fetish with Shadow; you bash one character depsite the very character you like is guilty of the same goddamn thing?

And that's what we call a hypocrite.

I find it interesting how he instantly flocks to the next coolest character after the other isn't so cool. Really brings out his mentality.

......Are you fucking serious? I am being so real right now when I say this, but you accuse Knuckles of being a fandom whore, but completely ignore Shadow's very obvious whoring after his debut?...I can't even fathom words to describe your fetish with Shadow; you bash one character depsite the very character you like is guilty of the same goddamn thing?

Would it make feel any better if I said Shadow was the biggest fandom whore to ever had been brought to the franchise? And thats where I stand? Calm down.

And that's what we call a hypocrite.

I find it interesting how he instantly flocks to the next coolest character after the other isn't so cool. Really brings out his mentality.

It hurts my brain.

Would it make feel any better if I said Shadow was the biggest fandom whore to ever had been brought to the franchise? And thats where I stand? Calm down.

No, you can't flip like that, I would believe you if you didn't act like such a fanboy towards Shadow in the past, but the fact that you're willing to deride Knuckles for being whored out when he was popular, but never mention or deride Shadow for the same thing, just tells me everything I needed to know.

1.Shadic was referring to the fandom whore issue.

2.Shadow's "flaws" as you call them all seem to boil down to "He should be moar important".

Come on guys, this isn't the topic. We've already derailed it enough, any further and the mods are sure to come.

Remember, this is about Knuckles, not Shadow. We know Knuckles hasn't been whored out to the same extent as Shadow has, nor are his more extreme fanboys any different, so it's really moot point to get on someone's case for a completely different character from the OP.

And Chaos Nightmare Moon, do us all a favor and LEAVE SHADOW OUT OF TOPICS THAT DON'T EVEN REFER TO HIM! Do that shit again, and I'm reporting the Mods each time you do it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 5

I like Knuckles because unlike Sonic he don't chuckle. Except that's total nonsense, because pretty much the very first thing he ever does is laugh at Sonic. What's up with that?

In all seriousness, though, Knuckles is one of my favourite characters and severely under-utilised. I wonder if SEGA reined him in a bit after all the complaining about him being in games with no proper explanation for why he was away from the ME and tagging along with Sonic? It's a shame, because his dynamic with Sonic is excellent. Friendly rivals to a tee. You can tell there's a great deal of mutual respect, no matter how begrudging, but there will always be that teasing edge, too. Sonic is such a cocky show-off and Knuckles is such a prideful creature that it's inevitable they'll set each other off at some point. Yet you can tell that they've both earned the respect of each other and would truly help each other out in an instant, even if deriding each other playfully the whole way.

I also really love that Knuckles has the whole tribal thing going for him. His mystical connection with the ME and his status as the last remaining echidna and last guardian is both fascinating and kind of sad. I'd love for him to get some more development. I think that as long as his hot-headed nature isn't misconstrued to make him seem like a total block-head, he'll be fine. I actually kind of like how 'simple' he is in some ways. He's not familiar with or fond of technology, and can seem kinda confused and frustrated by it (like how his head almost exploded when Tails tried to explain the floating mechanism behind the extreme gears), yet he has a deeper more intuitive wisdom. As long as he's written to reflect both sides, I'm cool with it.

So yeah, I really would like to see more Knux. Rad Red is awesome.

• Thumbs Up 4

I like Knuckles because unlike Sonic he don't chuckle. Except that's total nonsense, because pretty much the very first thing he ever does is laugh at Sonic. What's up with that?

In all seriousness, though, Knuckles is one of my favourite characters and severely under-utilised. I wonder if SEGA reined him in a bit after all the complaining about him being in games with no proper explanation for why he was away from the ME and tagging along with Sonic? It's a shame, because his dynamic with Sonic is excellent. Friendly rivals to a tee. You can tell there's a great deal of mutual respect, no matter how begrudging, but there will always be that teasing edge, too. Sonic is such a cocky show-off and Knuckles is such a prideful creature that it's inevitable they'll set each other off at some point. Yet you can tell that they've both earned the respect of each other and would truly help each other out in an instant, even if deriding each other playfully the whole way.

I also really love that Knuckles has the whole tribal thing going for him. His mystical connection with the ME and his status as the last remaining echidna and last guardian is both fascinating and kind of sad. I'd love for him to get some more development. I think that as long as his hot-headed nature isn't misconstrued to make him seem like a total block-head, he'll be fine. I actually kind of like how 'simple' he is in some ways. He's not familiar with or fond of technology, and can seem kinda confused and frustrated by it (like how his head almost exploded when Tails tried to explain the floating mechanism behind the extreme gears), yet he has a deeper more intuitive wisdom. As long as he's written to reflect both sides, I'm cool with it.

So yeah, I really would like to see more Knux. Rad Red is awesome.

I don't see the difference between this dynamic and Shadow, Mr. Mod.

Explain please.