Awoo.

Rouge the Bat Discussion

Chaos Nightmare Moon

Maybe for me, she's is the first independant cool and tough female character in the series before Blaze came. I'd like to discuss her character for all its worth, I mean she rivaled Knuckles in SA2 and his the leader of Team Dark, but now she's more like some sidekick to the big boys or playing with either Shadow or Knuckles as a love interest.

Who wants her to have a big role in the games again?

She's unique. She was presented as a kinda sexy character and even in one of Knuckles's themes he called her sexy. Ah good old times when Sonic games weren't for little children and sonicteam had guts to make something like that..

She's unique. She was presented as a kinda sexy character and even in one of Knuckles's themes he called her sexy. Ah good old times when Sonic games weren't for little children and sonicteam had guts to make something like that..

.....nnnnnot reeeeeaalllly.....

Candy_Kongkingofswing.jpg

.....nnnnnot reeeeeaalllly.....

God, why, oh why did you upload this?! Really, looks disgusting.

Rouge, however, looks pretty.

Oh yeah, I appreciated that in generations she says something like "Think you can dodge mah bombs?" xD

And yeah, her new VA is so much better than the previous one. Almost as great as her Sa2/SH VA.

Edited by ArtFenix

As with Omega, Rouge can't seem to show up without being almost literally right next to Shadow. And that's terrible. Both Omega and Rouge should be able to do their own crap and interact with other characters other than (in Rouge's case) Knuckles.

More about Rouge herself, I always liked her, much more than those who only go "HAWT B3WBS" and leave it at that. I'm not sure what it is, but as with common characters Robotnik and Tails and not-common-at-all characters Marine and Johnny, Rouge is simply one of those ones that tend to make me smile whenever she shows up. Just a charming character IMO.

So I'm totally okay with her continuing to show up in the future. Just let her (and Omega) have their time away from Shadow.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Maybe because she feels more..mature? And I'm not talking about her appearance, but her attitude, what she says and stuff like that. I think she's almost the only character who never was annoying [blaze is like that too and Omega to some extent].

I don't mind Rouge really, like her new voice. They need to actually DO stuff with her though, she's never really done all that much. I know nobody does much anymore, but even the Chaotix have had their moments (finding Eggman locked up in Heroes, the accidental thing they did in Shadow which made the recording play), whereas Rouge just mostly tags along with Shadow without really doing anything. I guess the same could be said of Tails with Sonic, but I point to the Adventure games where he has his own moments, and he's always been the sidekick. Rouge was kind of just doing her own thing in Adventure 2, and acted as the brains in Team Dark in Heroes (they need to bring the cunning aspect back), but now... meh. It seems like she would have tried to do stuff in 06, but that felt incomplete all round and I reckon there's a fair chance cutscenes are outright cut out for time in that game. Maybe have her and Knuckles bicker even though she wants his grapes and he wants her gems and everyone knows it wink.png

Then again she calls Sonic "Big Blue" when you rescue her in Generations as Modern... she wants Sonic's chilli dog too!

Innuendo aside, got potential, never used that well. Just like almost everyone else, really.

Edited by Semi-colon e

People seem to forget she appeared in Colors DS and Rivals 2 without Shadow and worked fine.

In Rivals 2 she was with Knuckles though.

To be perfectly honest, I find it easier for Rouge to contribute when Team Dark as a whole are involved; people seem to forget that Rouge has appeared in every game Shadow has been in, and half of those games they're both doing their own thing without one being tied to the other. The only time Rouge is just a sidekick to Shadow is in 06, and that's it, in Heroes she's clearly the one leading, in Free Riders, she once again is leading, so....yeah, Rouge has contributed plenty to the games she's in(Bar 06 and Shadow's game), she may not be as prominent as Shadow or Knuckles, but she has a decent track record all things considered.

She may have teamed up with Knuckles in Rivals 2, but she had enough interaction with others without Knuckles even being around.

Maybe because she feels more..mature? And I'm not talking about her appearance, but her attitude, what she says and stuff like that. I think she's almost the only character who never was annoying [blaze is like that too and Omega to some extent].

That could be it. Because she's old, she doesn't fit in with the story as well. Also, I for one found it kind of weird that she literally goes and shakes her tits at robots in Generations. It's just clearly they do have the guts, but I'd like her to just be in the story, and as the sexy, cunning, female treasure-hunter, not a freaking stripper (though that's partially due to her voice. :P)

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge could've been such a cool character, but it all just...fell apart. She's sneaky, manipulative, and perfectly willing to work both sides to get what she wants. She's selfish enough that she can't be entirely trusted (especially when jewels are her obsession and a particular set of jewels is important to almost every game in the series), but she's not evil and she'll put the "treasure hunting" aside when there's something bigger at stake. If they had ran with this, we could've had a character with some real friction against the heroes even though she's never really against them in the bigger picture.

But, it didn't happen that way. All the focus was on Shadow, and Rouge ended up coming along for the ride. She became a part of his story rather than having one of her own. In Heroes she found Shadow in the first scene, then was basically irrelevant from then on. In ShtH...well, duh. In '06, the first thing we find out is that she needs to be rescued, and once Mephiles comes in The Shadow Show kicks into full gear again. Past that, the games don't really care about anyone but Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and any new characters in the game.

• Thumbs Up 5

She may have teamed up with Knuckles in Rivals 2, but she had enough interaction with others without Knuckles even being around.

That kinda was my point in my original post; She can appear with Shadow, but she should have her own goal separate from his so its not a cop out.

Rouge could've been such a cool character, but it all just...fell apart. She's sneaky, manipulative, and perfectly willing to work both sides to get what she wants. She's selfish enough that she can't be entirely trusted (especially when jewels are her obsession and a particular set of jewels is important to almost every game in the series), but she's not evil and she'll put the "treasure hunting" aside when there's something bigger at stake. If they had ran with this, we could've had a character with some real friction against the heroes even though she's never really against them in the bigger picture.

But, it didn't happen that way. All the focus was on Shadow, and Rouge ended up coming along for the ride. She became a part of his story rather than having one of her own. In Heroes she found Shadow in the first scene, then was basically irrelevant from then on. In ShtH...well, duh. In '06, the first thing we find out is that she needs to be rescued, and once Mephiles comes in The Shadow Show kicks into full gear again. Past that, the games don't really care about anyone but Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and any new characters in the game.

To be fair, Rouge more or less had her own story in sonic battle where she fought Eggman and Sonic and co. It was one game, but it still counts. But yeah, I agree, ST have a nack for taking potentially great characters and running them into the ground, and then forgetting they exist.

That could be it. Because she's old, she doesn't fit in with the story as well. Also, I for one found it kind of weird that she literally goes and shakes her tits at robots in Generations. It's just clearly they do have the guts, but I'd like her to just be in the story, and as the sexy, cunning, female treasure-hunter, not a freaking stripper (though that's partially due to her voice. tongue.png)

Come on, man, don't lie, you love her new sexy voice, don't you? ^_^

[it's much better than her 06 voice where it felt like she was every day]

• Thumbs Up 2

Come on, man, don't lie, you love her new sexy voice, don't you? happy.png

[it's much better than her 06 voice where it felt like she was every day]

Yes, yes I do. :P The point is, now that they have a perfect voice for her, they need to bring back her old personality to go with it. It's the perfect combination!

Yes, yes I do. tongue.png The point is, now that they have a perfect voice for her, they need to bring back her old personality to go with it. It's the perfect combination!

When did she ever change?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I like how Rouge interacts with Team Dark, but she's more fitting as an "I work alone" character. I liked her SA2 portrayal because while she was officially working for G.U.N. and acting as a double agent for Eggman, she really had her own agenda, but like with Shadow, I still think her best appearance was in Sonic Battle. (Seriously, that game was a gold mine for character development in this series.) She was cold, task-oriented and manipulative but still showed her true colors with Emerl and Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

she was officially working for G.U.N. and acting as a double agent for Eggman,

Fun Fact. Rouge didn't work for GUN in SA2. She worked for the President.

(Seriously, that game was a gold mine for character development in this series.)

*spits out soda*

Rouge may be the only example where this sentence would actually make sense in reference to Sonic Battle. As fun as its storyline was, it may well have been worse than Heroes from a character development standpoint.

Battle had everything Rouge needed though. Shadow was her sidekick for a while, she got her own spotlight and explored her own motives. There was some flirting, some thieving and they even gave her a club to call her own. It was great.

Fun Fact. Rouge didn't work for GUN in SA2. She worked for the President.

I thought GUN was under the president's command?

Oh well, either way it goes we know she was agent working for someone.

Like Shadow, I am completely indifferent to Rouge. The more I think about it, I realize that I don't really care about most of the characters created after Sonic Adventure, with exceptions. I love Blaze and Emerl (One-shot character or not) and hate Marine and Chip. Everyone else is just...meh. Put them in the game, don't put them in the game, whatever is fine with me.

Edited by Speederino

I dont really have a lot of opinions about Rouge. I have never found her interesting, but neither do i dislike her. To me, she's one of those complete "meh" characters.

I do appreciate though that she, along with Omega, gives Shadow his own little "family" that he actually seem to care about. It humanizes his character a whole lot. Hmm... maybe the "family" metaphor for this group can be taken almost litteraly. Shadow is the daddy, Rouge is the mommy, and Omega is the child. Omega is quite young after all, considering that within the series timeline he was probably created, like, a year ago at most. And his fascination with violence is of course something very normal for a little boy. Oh, and the GUN Commander is the grandpa, who is to old and weak to go out with the rest of the family on their fun little trips, but enjoys hearing about it once they get home again.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought GUN was under the president's command?

Oh well, either way it goes we know she was agent working for someone.

Well, GUN is presented as some kind of global military force, so their direct relation to the president is hazy at best.

Rouge has bounced around from being a renowned government spy to a GUN agent.