Awoo.

Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car

Mick

Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car

WakuWakuSonic.png

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not. I don't think it has. What does everyone here think of the Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car? I think it's really odd. I had no idea this existed. It was released in December 1991. It's a game intended for children and they get into this car. Sonic is a police officer and keeps the city safe from Eggman.

screen.jpg

Click here for more info

How can we form an opinion of the game fully when I doubt anyone here has ever seen one in real life, let alone played it?

Well, it would have certainly been interesting to see Rouge go from sultry black woman to high schooler in Waku Waku back in 1991, Jayhawker. :/

Missed the Rouge topic, I guess?

So, I guess the only reason anybody even knows about this game's existence is because of Gems Collection?

I found out about when I was looking up Sonic games. It was just there and I was curious about it. Not many people really don't know about it and much more don't even know about the gameplay at all. We only got some info on it but not much outside its plot. :P

It has to be the most unusual Sonic game out of all the Sonic games. I would have had a blast if I was 5 at the time it was released and lived in Japan.

I remember a technical manual for this game/ride thing being on eBay a while ago. That's how I found out about it, actually. Hah. Too bad done of us have played, or likely ever will play, it. I bet it's hilarious XD

I am secretly hoping to find it in some old junk store while I am in Japan, although I think it's just a dream as I suspect large things like that when they reach their time to be gotten rid of are destroyed rather than kept as second hand, which is a shame.......though actually owning the thing would be awesome!!

I remember a technical manual for this game/ride thing being on eBay a while ago. That's how I found out about it, actually. Hah. Too bad done of us have played, or likely ever will play, it. I bet it's hilarious XD

Yeah I think I told you about that one, I seem to remember we were chatting about the Tails Eggman BJ pin and it randomly popped up. =p

Almost bought the thing myself, but these manuals don't usually contain anything of interest other than error codes and how to fix them. Quite boring really.

I knew about this years ago, long before Mega/Gems collection came out, it's quite an odd machine, from what I remember you drive around solving crimes/arresting people for stuff like speeding, theres not much of Sonic in the game.

Also there was an actual Waku Waku unit for sale many months ago... but... it was broken.

A lot of you should be excited to know that I found a video of Waku Waku Patrol Car in action!

It was filmed by a SEGA-16.com writer who sadly passed away a few years ago (the guy with the moustache). This was one of his final videos, and its a really awesome treat. The gameplay kicks in at 8:15, but the whole video is worth a watch, as are his other videos in Japan:

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dude! That's awesome! Thanks for the vid!

You know what would've been awesome, porting (somehow) this as an unlockable to something like Sonic generations or some other future compilation game!

I'd love to be able to play something like this and SEGA Sonic arcade, Knux Chaotix and all the other rare obscure games somehow!

Dude! That's awesome! Thanks for the vid!

Sure thing! :) I found that earlier video this year. It's a real treat to see it in action, its actually quite an awesome piece of "merch", what with the cab itself being an object outside the game itself. The Green Hill music made me smile. Well, now we know where in Japan one of those exist. Makes me wonder if any TSS members live in Japan, and if they'd make the trek to see this thing and fully document it (tons of photos, HD video of a playthrough).

Edited by Barry the Nomad

THAT HEDGEHOGS DRIVING A CAR!

Also he's spin attacking the cars if you look closely! That game looks so epic, the fact the whole car moves too! Amazing.

I'll bet with somebody who can read Japanese, and a few screengrabs, we could figure out how the thing actually plays.

Sure thing! smile.png I found that earlier video this year. It's a real treat to see it in action, its actually quite an awesome piece of "merch", what with the cab itself being an object outside the game itself. The Green Hill music made me smile. Well, now we know where in Japan one of those exist. Makes me wonder if any TSS members live in Japan, and if they'd make the trek to see this thing and fully document it (tons of photos, HD video of a playthrough).

I'm living in Japan at the moment, but I doubt I'll be going anywhere near there unfortunately :(

I love how you can just stumble across awesome rare old stuff anywhere here though!!

I'm living in Japan at the moment, but I doubt I'll be going anywhere near there unfortunately sad.png

I love how you can just stumble across awesome rare old stuff anywhere here though!!

If you can't get to Sonic Waku Waku Patrol Car, let Sonic Waku Waku Patrol Car come to you! Commit a crime (ideally steal an emerald, or build an evil robot modeled after an animal) then await the sirens and Green Hill theme. :D

If you can't get to Sonic Waku Waku Patrol Car, let Sonic Waku Waku Patrol Car come to you! Commit a crime (ideally steal an emerald, or build an evil robot modeled after an animal) then await the sirens and Green Hill theme. biggrin.png

I do fancy myself as a Nack the Weasel type! biggrin.png And who could resist sirens like that! Edited by The-Master-Board

Fffffffffffff. I want to play that Mario pinball machine. Hell, I want to own it.

I'd figure that someone would've ripped the game from a used machine and posted it as an arcade ROM already, but figuring that the machine is quite rare is probably the reason why SEGASONIC the Hedgehog is more readily available than this game.

I thought those were the same people who posted up a video of the Sonic Popcorn machine, but I was wrong.