Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

By far two of the most dangerous and harmful bills introduced today, not only to US citizens but to the entire world, are Protect-IP and SOPA, proposed censorship systems for the internet based on the interests of the entertainment industry. It sounds ridiculous, especially because you probably haven’t heard of it before, but they’re very real.

The MPAA, RIAA, Hollywood knows that they have been flying in CEOs of as many companies as possible, recruiting people to get petition signups at malls in California, and here’s the big point— they know they have gotten their message through to Congress — the worst bill in Internet history, the one where government and their corporations get unbelievable power to take down sites, threaten payment processors into stopping payment to sites on a blacklist, and throw people in jail for posting ordinary content is about to pass before the end of this year. The only thing that is going to stop Hollywood from owning the Internet and everything we do, is if there is a big surprise Internet backlash starting right now.

PROTECT IP (S. 968)/SOPA (HR. 3261) creates the first system for Internet censorship - this bill has sweeping provisions that give the government and corporations leeway and legal cover for taking down sites “by accident,” mistakenly, or for NOT doing “enough” to protect the interests of Hollywood. These bills that are moving very quickly through Congress and can pass before Christmas aim to give the US government and corporations the ability to block sites over infringing links posted by their users and give ISPs the release to take any means to block peoples’ sites, including slowing down your connection. That’s right, some say this bill is a workaround to net neutrality and is bigger than net neutrality.

boingboing.com

And this is how it will affect you:

Let’s make one thing clear from the get-go: despite all the talk about this bill being directed only toward “rogue” foreign sites, there is no question that it targets US companies as well. The bill sets up a system to punish sites allegedly “dedicated to the theft of US property.” How do you get that label? Doesn’t take much: Some portion of your site (even a single page) must
  • be directed toward the US, and either

• allegedly “engage in, enable or facilitate” infringement or

• allegedly be taking or have taken steps to “avoid confirming a high probability” of infringement.

If an IP rightsholder (vaguely defined – could be Justin Bieber worried about his publicity rights) thinks you meet the criteria and that it is in some way harmed, it can send a notice claiming as much to the payment processors (Visa, Mastercard, Paypal etc.) and ad services you rely on.

Once they get it, they have 5 days to choke off your financial support. Of course, the payment processors and ad networks won’t be able to fine-tune their response so that only the allegedly infringing portion of your site is affected, which means your whole site will be under assault. And, it makes no difference that no judge has found you guilty of anything or that the DMCA safe harbors would shelter your conduct if the matter ever went to court. Indeed, services that have been specifically found legal, like Rapidshare, could be economically strangled via SOPA. You can file a counter-notice, but you’ve only got 5 days to do it (good luck getting solid legal advice in time) and the payment processors and ad networks have no obligation to respect it in any event. That’s because there are vigilante provisions that grant them immunity for choking off a site if they have a “reasonable belief” that some portion of the site enables infringement.

eff.org

This is a huge deal, guys. If this bill passes, sites like tumblr, youtube, and megaupload could be taken down.

More information:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2011/11/infographic-effects-of-the-int.php

http://americancensorship.org/

This is

It does. :/ The thing is, the party has been pushing bills like this for years, including the ACTA. They could be focusing on far more important issues than this.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is going a bit too far considering what it could affect.

I can understand the intentions, but for some reason when it comes to this in politics they seem to be completely ignorant of how far this could stretch. I may very well be exaggerating this, but really, they should at the very least know how broad their proposals would be covering.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Straw man fallacy is in effect: by distorting the opposing party and making them seem weaker to make it that much more refutable.

BULLSHIT!

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the exact same shit everybody criticizes the Chinese government for. How could anybody in the government support this? Just knowing that this idea managed to get this far, in a country where free fucking speech is supposed to be a guaranteed right, infuriates me.

I'd normally dismiss this as another shitty attempt at censorship that will never get passed like all the other times these bills have been proposed, but the fact that the committee is stacked five to one in favor of it rather caught my attention. The fact that something so blatantly unconstitutional could possibly even be considered seriously disgusts me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Er, I don't understand. Could anyone sum this up, please ?

Well basically the Government wants to stop Internet Piracy. Their solution? Censor up the internet.

Its a pretty flawed solution. We have the right to free speech so this really shouldn't pass or else they'll be violating our rights. Humanity should be opposing this bill because they really can't keep us quiet.

The Supreme Court hasn't quite had a perfect run with making good decisions, though the current justices probably wouldn't let this go through considering they've ruled against every similar bill.

Another one of these? Didn't we have one last month too that went nowhere?

Yeah, they've tried it several times and it has never worked.

Okay, i appreciate the sentiments behind the opposition and all, but it gets annoying when you start to throw up pop-ups while I'm browsing other sites. Stop it, anti-bill people. >:/

I had listened to the talks that went on today, and a LOT of people who are the decision makers on this act know very little. One older gentleman assumed that typing “free J Edgar movie” into google, and clicking a YouTube link that in turn directed users to a movie download site was Google and YouTube making it easy to find a download version of the movie. However, I tried that very same thing and it does not take you to the movie, it takes you to a spam site that tries to make you fill out a survey. It’s still shady, and needs to be cleaned up by YouTube, but it was not an easy way to find a movie for free. So their little attempt to make Google and YouTube look bad was a fail.

Also, nobody but Google knew what DNS was and how it would be affected by this bill. Pitiful.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 9

Thankfully, if it DOES pass the Senate, Obama will Veto it.

The source this claim stems from is a year old one that has no bearing on the current situation when the corporations supporting the bills are funding him, and when he was never against Counterfeit/Infringement bills like COICA to begin with.

Thankfully, if it DOES pass the Senate, Obama will Veto it.

It probably won't, it hasn't in the past.

I thought obama supported the bill?