Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

All I have to say now is....

If this bill passes we might as well start calling ourselves communists.

Now I hope that Congress realizes that and what that means.

Edited by Nuclear Winter

Man if this passes....

This will pretty much be the first Online Civil War in the United States. We aren't China...we aren't just going to double over and accept this.

As jokingly as that sounds....stuff is going to get bad...

REAL bad.

I don't think Congress understands the power of internet and its anonymity. Microsoft created a monster that will never go away and they are going to have to deal with it.

Edited by V0YANT
  • Thumbs Up 6

What I don't understand is how this works. It's an American law, right? What would be with the rest of the world then?

A large amount of servers that international clients use for their own hosting are American, too (I believe the server that my own site resides on is in California). So not only will we be cut off from American sites and lose American clientèle, we could easily lose our own sites too if they are in breach of the ruling and hosted on US soil.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so confused sad.png

What's going on? Is the internet getting shut down?

Well basically the Government wants to stop Internet Piracy. Their solution? Censor up the internet.

Its a pretty flawed solution. We have the right to free speech so this really shouldn't pass or else they'll be violating our rights. Humanity should be opposing this bill because they really can't keep us quiet.

The internet will be pretty much clusterfucked. We wouldn't be able to do much because we appeantly are all pirates. But that'll only happen if the bill passes.

There was an article about the Chinese internet censorship, I have to go find it but what it was about how a test plane was shot out of the sky but it turns out that it was a scene from a movie. That's basically one of the things going to happen to the internet.

Edited by Nuclear Winter

This is that law that would erase 60% of the Internet, right?

Even if it passes, didn't Obama mention that he won't approve this law should it reach his desk?

A large amount of servers that international clients use for their own hosting are American, too (I believe the server that my own site resides on is in California). So not only will we be cut off from American sites and lose American clientèle, we could easily lose our own sites too if they are in breach of the ruling and hosted on US soil.

Does that mean SSMB could be shut down?

Does that mean SSMB could be shut down?

There is a possibility of that happening, yes.

But do you think that will happen? I don't.

I swear that if it does land on Obama's desk and he vetoes it, I will set a music video of him to the Eurythmics' 'I Saved The World Today' entitled 'I Saved The World (Wide Web) Today'. I will do this.

Obama won't veto it, as I mentioned on page 2

The source this claim stems from is a year old one that has no bearing on the current situation when the corporations supporting the bills are funding him, and when he was never against Counterfeit/Infringement bills like COICA to begin with.

Also, lest we forget, Obama withdrew said promise of a veto shortly thereafter.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, thanks for being a killjoy ): ... FINE. I'll set my video to pictures/clips of everyone who argued against the bill and whoever makes the final ruling decision.

... Boss Win Obama would have been better. *Sulks*

• Thumbs Up 1

Please, Obama is getting into a lot of trouble right now with the economic issues of North America, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want people raging on the streets for censoring the internet :|

This will be Veto'd. not only are you putting censors on social networking webpages, but it's also causing an epic chain of people being on the streets and shouting for this to be revoked due to it violating the first amendment. I'm pretty sure it won't happen.

• Thumbs Up 5

Pretty much what Shinigami said. Unless the goverment actually want people to rage and cause riots like theres no tomorrow they'd actually think about the consequences of letting the bill pass.

If it were to actually pass, then bring on the 2012 jokes.

Been watching the thing live. It's interesting, but I have to admit that the US system is a lot more boring than the UK one (where people can insult each other).

Anyway, someone tried to pass an amendment striking the definiton of a website as an IP address and they voted no on it. Which means that they can prosecute a internet fridge if the dynamic IP adress changes to that of an infringing one that belonged to someone else. Which is very stupid..

The only guy in the room who knows what he's talking about proposes worthy amendments, and the rest of these cunts vote NO because they don't know what the fuck they're even voting on.

Mr. Sanchez: Tying criminality to IP alone is retarded, as dynamic IP addresses render it pointless.

House: Fuck no, we want to sue everyone. Including your toaster.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised at the amount of abstentations in these votes. Most of the time in the UK you're expected to vote one way or the other, if a division is called.

Mr. Sanchez: Tying criminality to IP alone is retarded, as dynamic IP addresses render it pointless.

House: Fuck no, we want to sue everyone. Including your toaster.

To be fair, some sites do exist only as an IP as a way of getting past piracy laws. The problem is that no-one even tried to come up with a better plan than Mr. Sanchez's. They just ostritched the issue.

Edited by Gerku(snow)man