Awoo.

Stop Online Piracy Act & Protect IP Act

Mega

oh its just at senate level? You know how much shit passes by the senate? Noway congress will let this go through....I would be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, people keep misinterpreting the vote. It's only a vote to take it out of committee and into the full house of reps. Then it will have to go through Congress. So this is only Doomsday Zone Act I, not Doomsday Zone Act III.

• Thumbs Up 1

They won't be back until after Christmas, which gives the Anti-SOPA brigade time to rally the troops. Hooray.

• Thumbs Up 2

In a little more detail:

Breaking SOPA News of the Day: After Thursday’s 11-hour hearing on over 50 amendments to the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act, the House Judiciary Committee was expected to approve the sending of the unaltered legislation to the floor.

But, in an optimistic twist, today’s hearing was abruptly adjourned, with the future of the so-called “Internet Blacklist Bill” suddenly less certain.

Despite the act’s supporters in the Judiciary Committee outweighing its skeptics by a margin of nearly two to one, SOPA’s author, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX), agreed to consider speaking with cybersecurity expects about the bill’s potential impact.

83 prominent Internet inventors and engineers recently published an open letter to Congress, insisting that both SOPA and its Senate counterpart PIPA “will risk fragmenting the Internet’s global domain name system (DNS) and have other capricious technical consequences.”

NetCoalition is encouraged that Chairman Smith is considering the requests of many on the committee that additional hearings be conducted, particularly on the issue of Internet security, in order that the committee be fully briefed on the potentially serious and negative consequences that the proposed legislation would create,” said NetCoalition executive director Markham Erickson.

Though SOPA proponents appear to be softening their steadfastly pro-industry stance on certain issues, it remains likely that an amended bill will be approved as soon as the committee reconvenes, which could be as early as next week.

The Senate’s anti-piracy legislation left committee a while ago, and is expected to be voted on early next year.

[thehill / wired / deadline.]

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not sure how much this decision will effect the UK.

I've been checking all the news shows and non that I found talked about this. They mostly talked about the Euro crisis, a couple of middle-aged murderers, a local murder suicide, and America's second smallest new born baby.

I for one am glad that the guy who created this thing is taking the extra step in order to see just how much this will effect the Internet for us USA users; its certainly better than pushing it through (if at all, which it won't) without any sort of consultation with the experts on the issue, because nothing good comes of that. seriously; no matter how well intentioned it may be if you were to do such a thing, the results can have little to no effect at all, or be utterly disastrous.

Edited by Shinigami
  • Thumbs Up 2

Uh oh.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111216/03275317104/how-sopa-20-sneaks-really-dangerous-private-ability-to-kill-any-website.shtml

In the end, despite vigorous attempts by Polis and Rep. Lofgren to explain why this was so problematic, the Committee basically just ignored the whole thing and rejected the amendment. End result: SOPA 2.0 contains a crazy scary clause that's going to make it crazy easy to cut off websites with no recourse whatsoever. And this part isn't just limited to payment providers/ad networks -- but to service providers, search engines and domain registrars/registries as well. Yes. Search engines. So you can send a notice to a search engine, and if they want to keep their immunity, they have to take the actions in either Section 102©(2) or 103©(2), which are basically all of the "cut 'em off, block 'em" remedies. That's crazy. This basically encourages search engines to disappear sites upon a single notice. It encourages domain registries to kill domains based on notices. With no recourse at all, because the providers have broad immunity.

It's this kind of insanity that should terrify people about this bill moving forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

This will only circle down into the Government controlling the internet MORE from now on instead of the people... that's all it is.

This country is slowly ...VERY slowly dissolving into China Territory and if this does INDEED pass it will be a pretty obvious jump among the public people not only in the US, but around the world.

I really happy the world is a lot more "nerdy" nowadays...the US could have down this maybe 10 years ago....but not now... everyone will know how blatant of a rip this will be to peoples rights.

I'm sure if the branches could burn the constitution they would do it in a heart beat.

Edited by V0YANT