Awoo.

The Cooking Topic.

King Frosty

I'll take them now if you want. smile.png

....But I don't like honey ;w;

the fuck is wrong with your tastebuds?

Lol, I kid. All they honey does is make the crust better, as well as add some flavor, you barely taste it.

I'll make a video of how I make pizza and send it to you via skype.

When I left home and started living at my own apartment, I had to start fending for myself. The college campus food vendors only taste so good once you have them every time, and ordering Chinese and pizza is not only unhealthy, but very boring and expensive if you do it constantly.

So I decided to take up cooking. I had a friend of mine help teach me some basic and intermediate techniques.

Oh my gosh, I LOVE COOKING.

No, I don't think you understand. There is nothing like sitting down at the table and having a steaming plate of spaghetti with meatballs that you made with your very hands. I can't describe how cool it feels when I'm able to detail what ingredients are in my recipes.

I now am able to turn a bowl of ramen into fine Asian cuisine with the addition of vegetables and curry powder, and I love it.

And for a potluck at my church this Sunday, I'll be contributing a big pan of lasagna.

Delicious, hearty, meaty, cheesy lasagna.

lasagna.jpg

I am going to layer cheese, noodles, meat-sauce and vegetables in a way that would make you wish you were Italian.

For the cheese mixture, I'm blending ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and adding some basil and parsley with an egg to make it nice and creamy, and when I layer this lasagna, I'll also throw in slices of provolone for good measure.

For the meaty veggie sauce, I'm going with a blend of hot Italian sausage with garlic, mushrooms, and zucchini, and I'll be adding either a jar of marinara sauce or adding crushed San Marzano tomatoes if I'm feeling like a boss.

And because I want to, I'll roast some eggplant slices in the oven and layer the lasagna with THAT TOO, and I'll add spinach just because I can.

AND I'LL PUT IT IN THE OVEN AND MARK IT WITH AN

"S-RANK."

Do any of you guys love to cook? And if so, are you good at it? Have any recipes you want to share? Feel free to explain your recipes in anyway you wish. I don't have any measurements at the moment because I haven't factored it in yet, but hopefully I've started a good topic for us to exchange some good and delicious recipes and experiences.

DISCUSS!

Now THAT is a reply to a topic. Your absolute enthusiasm is so wonderful here.

I enjoy cooking as well. Mostly weird Greek stuff that I only make for the sake of trying something new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, that was a topic opener that showed up a wee minute or two before this thread's OP, so we had them merged. But yes, I love to cook.

OH! I made the lasagna the other day.

I had enough to make 2 deliciously delectable pans of homemade Italian goodness. Everyone who had some at the potluck liked it, and that made my day.

I'd have shown pictures, but I can't find my digital camera, and my phone won't send picture texts to email.

It's nice and yummy though! Promise!

Tomorrow, a friend of mine is coming over, and we're making cheesecake. What kind? I dunno, it must be a surprise if they're not telling me... I hope it's red velvet~

stephanies_cheesecake.jpg

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a great cook, but I'm trying to learn how to be better at it. I can do basic stuff like making eggs, baking cookies, etc, but I'm having trouble on the more advanced things, especially when it comes to making things from scratch. However, I am a good self-learner, so I'm hoping I'll become better at it in the future.

I can cook simple foods that I don't have to spend too much time in the kitchen and take a long time to cook. I can cook breakfast, burgers, steak done rare to well done, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. I would like to cook a whole Thanksgiving feast one day. That will be my biggest challenge ever.

Tomorrow, a friend of mine is coming over, and we're making cheesecake. What kind? I dunno, it must be a surprise if they're not telling me... I hope it's red velvet~

Red velvet cheesecake huh? You and me need to talk cooking in depth one of these days. Personally, I've never been too fond of red velvet. The chocolate taste is pretty negligible and the bright red food coloring scares me a bit. As a cheesecake it'd be very visually pleasing I think. Cheesecakes are always impressive.. even better that they are relatively simple to make.

May I suggest a kiwi coulis to sauce it? I always like a drizzle of something tart to cut back the richness of a cheesecake. It'd really lighten things up on the palette and makes it less cloy. I only suggested kiwi because it's in season now (where I am at least)!

Hope you create something wonderful!

• Thumbs Up 1

We ended up doing pumpkin cheesecake. It's chilling in the fridge at the moment, but we had some of the filling leftover that wouldn't fit in the pie crust.

Oh sweet goodness was it heavenly! I'm saving this diametrical disc of delicious delight for Thanksgiving, and it will be GLORIOUS.

I'm glad to hear it went well Indigo Rush. I'm sure it tastes delicious. If you can get some pictures I'd love to see them for some inspiration.

I was feeling kind of bored late last night so I decided to make some cinnamon rolls. The first rise of the dough finished at about 2am and I threw it in the fridge for its final rise so I could bake it off in the morning. I'm a real last minute baker. I'll do my best to not turn this into some personal blog but I love sharing what I do so I can get even more ideas.

cinnamonrollspatchblack.png

Enjoy looking at the pictures! This was my first time making cinnamon rolls. I was happy with the flavor of the dough but I feel like I could have lightened up the dough some more with some extra rising time (and I didn't moisten the ends that well.. blah!) I'm not very experienced with retarding dough. They were topped with a cream cheese frosting.

Any suggestions and tips (perhaps by Indigo Rush?) are welcome to help me improve my technique.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can tell I'm a daddy's girl, because my mum's a chef and I can't cook for shit. The most advanced thing I've ever cooked is bolognaise, and I've on;y ever done that twice outside of school. I just haven't been taught the skills as I was growing up...

• 2 weeks later...

plated.jpg

I have not made this.

square.jpg

...Yet.

http://www.cookingfo...se-marble-cake/

The best part is that most of the ingredients aren't actually that expensive.

Ingredients:

For the cream cheese batter:

• 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

For the chocolate batter:

• 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
    • 5 oz. (10 Tbs.) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
    • 3 large eggs
    • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
    • 1 Tbs. dark rum or espresso
    • 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
    • Pinch table salt
    • Cocoa powder for dusting

What do you think, ladies and gentlehogs? Should I go for it?

I found my camera, too... :3

Edited by Count Indigo of Marmesbury
  • Thumbs Up 1

Indy, I want that cake. I WANT IT.

Also gonna record cooking Christmas dinner in Dominican Republic, so hope everybody enjoys seeing that. :3

WOO a bump. I'll post my shitty pizza pics.

Okay, so, after I mix the crust and bake it for 3 minutes, i put some sauce and rings of pepperonis, and then I sprinkle some shredded parmesian

pics051.jpg

Then the mozzarella and another slight layer of parmesian.

pics052.jpg

Pop the bastard in for 9 minutes on 450F ( oven is messed up so I thought it was 425 :T)

AND VOILA

pics053.jpg

pics054.jpg

Edited by Solkia Clause
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pizzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Making me hungry, man. ;_;

Also.

Sorrel.

2d8f33a.jpg

Ingredients:

• 1 cup dried sorrel leaves

• 2 cinnamon sticks

• tablespoon cloves

• dash of nutmeg

• ounce (or 2) of ginger, sliced

• half peeled grapefruit

• 1/2 cup of sugar

• 4 cups BOILING water

• 1 tea-bag of cider mulling spices, for an extra kick.

I've had it once before. It tastes like Christmas.

This is my first time making it on my own. I'll let you know how it tastes when it's done brewing.

Edited by Holiday Rush

• 2 months later...

BABUMP.

So.

Guys.

I'm gonna post some of my famous Cupcakes or Fruit Salad in a week.

WHAT HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN COOKIN.

I like cooking, and eating, the following things:

Mexican lasagna

Gyozas

Chickpea, shallots and hummus salad

Vegetarian lasagna

Stir fries with noodles or rice

Pizza either the proper kind or the puff pastry kind

Uh...that's all I can think of right now. That's all the stuff I'll make 'from scratch' but there's easy stuff I'll do a lot of the time too like:

Fajitas (with quorn chicken usually)

Quorn crispy chicken in wraps with salad, sour cream and jalapeños

Spaghetti Bolognese

Quiche with salad or chips

Quorn crispy chicken pr nuggets with chips and veg

etc

Now that we have a camera again I can try and take some photos. I want to make corndogs, leche flan, baked tofu in peanut sauce, falafel pie, Korean steamed cakes and buttermilk tofu with braised red cabbage, mash and gravy at some point.

Edited by Mollfie

Quack quack!

qwwx6x.jpg

mu7gz.jpg

THE FOLLOWING DINNER HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR ALL AUDIENCES.

CHRISTMAS EVE DINNER 2011.

STARRING SUCH TALENTS AS:

OUR HERO, THE ROAST DUCK, WITH HIS TRUSTY SIDEKICK HOMEMADE DUCK GRAVY.

OUR LEADING LADY, APPLE SAUSAGE STUFFING, MADE FROM SCRATCH WITH FRESH BAKED BREAD, DELICIOUS GREEN APPLES AND INCREDIBLE BASS SAUSAGE.

THE NEVER FORGETTABLE COLLARD GREENS.

THE CLASSIC SWEET MASHED POTATOES MIXED WITH BROWN SUGAR.

THE DYNAMIC DUO OF STEAMED BROCCOLI AND CARROTS.

LOVABLE CORN AND BEETS, CHOPPED UP AND SAUTEED IN OLIVE OIL WITH MUSTARD SEEDS AND JALAPENOS.

Oh, and SORREL, TOO!

(see last post if you do not know what this wonderful drink is)

AND WE WRAPPED UP THAT WINTER WITH SOME SMOOTH AND CREAMY MARKET EGGNOG.

...That feeling you get when you can never top this meal... :[

(Mostly because it took 3 awesome chefs to pull this off. Kudos to my pals in NC! Love ya~)

Also, the duck came with it's head on. Had to chop it off.

7nTnr.png

No, really. It was gross and awesome.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

I made a topic about exchanging recipes awhile back, good to know at least another topic about cooking is kicking off better than mine did XD

Here's a cheaper recipe I put together when I'm low on cash and have to feed multiple people (mainly myself, brother, girlfriend and father).

This recipe is copied/pasta'd from my own topic

This recipe will require...

* = optional

Ramen Noodles (Maurchen is the brand I use) ((Flavor doesn't matter))

Boneless Meat (Chicken, pork, steak) ((I usually use a 2pack of London Broil that usually cost around $9 USD))

Teriyaki (Thick or thin will do) ((I usually use Kikkoman brand))

*Mushrooms

*Other Veggies (frozen or not)

Process:

Cut up the meat into smaller dice pieces, put into pan with light butter.

Season meat while it's cooking with salt (I use sea salt), pepper, garlic powder or whatever else you like (Easy on the salt though, since teriyaki is salty to begin with)

Boil the water for the ramen while cooking the meat (I usually put the ramen in the pot when I first put water in so when it does come to a boil it's almost done). Don't use the Ramen packets for they are not needed, put them aside for a future ramen snack.

When meat browns put it on the outer side of the pan, add veggies now if you plan too (unless they are frozen veggies, then add them when you add the meat).

*Drain juices made by the meat if there's a lot, so it doesn't over power the Teriyaki.

When ramen is done, strain noodles and put in the middle of the meat in pan

After adding noodles, add Canola oil on top of it to prevent sticking and stir the noodles into the meat (vegetable oil and olive oil works too, just alters flavor a bit)

Add a bit of pepper and whatever other season you want (I usually add a bit more Garlic and Onion powder)

Add Teriyaki until desired taste.

Then....

ENJOY!!

This is how it should look while cooking (using chicken breast, boneless)

421399_2574415995563_1109211254_32019852_943255209_n.jpg

When it's done:

408795_2574423195743_1109211254_32019855_775975651_n.jpg

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 2

Been making Pizza bagels lately.

Why is it that the more unhealthy it is, the better it tastes? ;w;

Seeing pictures of people's cooking makes me happy. I haven't taken many pictures of my food lately out of laziness. One of my colleagues takes pictures of her food everyday. We try to bond over that whenever we have time to talk (which is never).

Here's a semi recent picture of something I made.

kimbap.jpg

No it's not sushi. It's actually its Korean cousin kimbap, one of my lazy meals. It's much less finicky in that I just shove in whatever I have on hand to clear out my fridge so there's really no recipe. Well.. you must have that pickled daikon (the yellow thing) for it to be truly kimbap I think.

For this one I used carrots which i cooked a bit, the daikon, imitation crab, and a mock tuna bulgolgi like mixture. Like I said, whatever I have in my fridge! Other things that would have been nice that I have used in the past are eggs (savory or sweet), spinach, avocado, or crisp pork belly.

My picture says food bloggy to me for some reason...

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

That ramen dish looks absolutely delightful, LunarEdge!

Also, lookie what I discovered:

COFFEE-'NILLA CAKE IN A MUG IN A MICROWAVE

DRY INGREDIENTS

2 tbs of flour

2 tbs of sugar

1-2 tsp of instant-coffee mix (NOT coffee grounds)

a dash (1/4 tsp) of baking powder

a dash (1/8 tsp) of table salt

WET INGREDIENTS

2 tbs milk (2% or otherwise)

3/4 tbs vegetable oil (or canola, or butter)

1/4-1/2 tsp of vanilla flavor extract

So you're sittin there wondering "boy am I hungry, it's 11pm and I would like something sweet and warm to keep me up while studying, but not so intense that I'll be up until 3am."

Well, here's your answer! Mix together those dry ingredients in a med-large sized coffee mug and then add the wet ingredients. make sure you blend it nice and smooth. You might get some small bits of insta-coffee or flour, but that's ok. We're then going to throw that sucker into the microwave and nuke it for one whole minute!

And... that's it! Obviously, if it's still too doughy, feel free to pop it in the microwave for another 10 or 15 seconds to fluff out those gooey bits. Or hey, maybe you like the gooey bits. Cook it less, then! There's no egg in it, so no need to worry about that pesky salmonella! Also, if the amount of coffee flavor isn't intense enough, there's no shame in adding more. Honestly I just gave a ballpark estimate for the coffee measurements.

Got the base recipe from here: http://recipes.spark...?recipe=1035841

Happy snacking!

(Also recommend a glass of milk or scoop of ice cream to go along with it!)

I ate it before I could think of taking a picture, so here's some random stock image I found:

IMG_4640.jpg

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Apologize for the lack of pictures like you all, but I wanted to leave a post here and bump.

This topic is awesome. I am a cooking freak.

Growing up I never was familiar with the kitchen, my mom wasn't a cook and we ordered in most I can remember.

But it is in fact tastier, cheaper, and fun to cook your own food. Here's what I'm best known for making...

- Various Lasagnas

- Stuffed Shells

- Awesome Pasta Sauce

- Fettuccine (and other) Alfredo

- Pasta Primavera

- Cajun Salmon Pasta

- Fried Chicken

- Chicken Schnitzel

- Chicken Soup

- Curry Chicken

- Potato Bhaji with Peas

- Rice and Beans

- Spanish (Mexican) Rice

- Different types of Chili

- Empanadas

- Tamales with corn husks

- Soft Pretzels

- French Fries

- Slow cooked Meats

- Steak on the stovetop

- Various Hamburgers

- Batter Fried Fish

- Baked Mac and Cheese

- Various Quiches

- Banana Bread

- Thanksgiving Turkey and Stuffing

- Korean Bulgogi and Galbi

- Korean Jjajangmyun

- Dukbokki with Fish Cakes

- Sushi and Kimbap

Um there is probably more. My weakness is definitely baking. I never experimented with yeast.

I think my menu is pretty unhealthy too, but I do have several salads I like to make!

Edited by Badnikz
  • Thumbs Up 1