Awoo.

The Cooking Topic.

King Frosty

I thought I was a beast cook, and though I've cooked alot of stuff seeing some of the other stuff you guys have made makes me retreat into my shell =(

It was suggested that I post this here rather than my own art topic. If that is the more appropriate place, feel free to move it there.

Me, makin' spaghetti n meatsauce.

Spadoogles and Murrbles.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I invented something, and I called it "if Ramen was a Mexican." Yup.

I made ramen the other day, and was like "needs moar." So I lined my bowl with tortilla chips, threw in chopped onions in my ramen while cooking it. Then I dumped it all in the bowl, and then slammed some caesar salad lettuce leafs in there, and

BAM

Tastes like a taco and ramen love child, <3.

*shut up, let me have this, >:U*

• Thumbs Up 3

So I invented something, and I called it "if Ramen was a Mexican." Yup.

I made ramen the other day, and was like "needs moar." So I lined my bowl with tortilla chips, threw in chopped onions in my ramen while cooking it. Then I dumped it all in the bowl, and then slammed some caesar salad lettuce leafs in there, and

BAM

Tastes like a taco and ramen love child, <3.

*shut up, let me have this, >:U*

D'uuhhh............well as long as you like it, lol x)

Food and cooking has always been a big thing in my house and is one of my passions in life. It's probably what's driven me to aim for a career in food writing. I learnt all my skills from my mum, who is a fabulous cook, and we have probably the world's largest array of cookbooks in multiple bookcases around the family room.

My favourite cuisine is Japanese, but I find it a bit complicated to cook. French food is amazing, as is Italian. I'm a sucker for pasta, bread, noodles, really any form of carbohydrate. It also has to be full of flavour, as bland food is pretty much torture for me.

Something I knocked up recently in a rush was this thingamajig:

UPAxK.png

I call it P-P-P-Pasta, as it contains a lot of P ingredients - Peas, Proscuitto and Parmesan. Follow along kids!

What you need:

Some pasta (preferably in a fun shape like shells or bowties)

4 slices of proscuitto (salty cured ham - can be substituted with bacon)

A clove of garlic

Light cream

Stock

Peas, cooked however way you cook peas

Grated parmesan cheese (best if you grate it yourself)

What you do:

First, get your pasta on the stove in some boiling water (cook enough for two people, plus a little extra). The packet of pasta usually tells you how long to cook it, so set a timer for that amount so you don't forget.

While that's doing its thing, chop up your proscuitto and garlic, bung it in a hot pan with some olive oil and fry it until the proscuitto is crispy and it smells awesome. Then, add 1/2 cup of the cream, with a splash of the stock to thin it out a bit. Once that's bubbling, wack in your cooked peas and as much (or as little) of the cheese as you want. Cook until everything is mixed in and hot.

Make sure you have a taste of your sauce! There's a reason all those TV chefs do it - it's how you check if your sauce is right or it needs more of one ingredient.

Once the pasta is done, drain the water away with a colander, add your hot pasta straight into the pan with the sauce and mix it all through. Then, all you have to do is dish it up and season with a little bit of cracked pepper.

Delicious! And easy too! And isn't that what we want in a recipe? ;)

That ramen dish looks absolutely delightful, LunarEdge!

Thanks I appreciate it smile.png

Here's another one I made recently. Spicy Spanish Popcorn Chicken w/Lightly seasoned mixed veggies on the side

The recipe will require:

Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast

Various Vegetables (Whichever you prefer, have to taste good raw)

Flour

Bread Crumbs (whichever flavor preferred)

Seasoning of choice

First, take boneless/skinless chicken breast and cut them into small pieces. Then season w/ preferred seasonings. I used garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and adobo. Then, pour flour and breadcrumbs into plate and take a packet or two of Sazon seasoning+pepper and spread it/mix it into flour/breadcrumbs. Pour Olive Oil into Pot and put burner on high to get the oil hot so when the chicken is ready to be deep fried, you can start right away. Make sure to add enough to fully submerge chicken into boiling oil.

Second, mix an egg or two into a bowl (however much you need) so the breadcrumbs and flour stay on the meat better.

Third, cut vegetables of choice. I personally cut up green peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic and green squash. Throw all into big bowl and lightly drizzle with Olive oil and Sea salt and mix evenly. No need to cook, the veggies taste fine as such.

Fourth, after seasoning the chicken mix the chicken in the scrambled up eggs then dip into flour/breadcrumb and apply evenly across each piece. Dip into hot/boiling oil (be careful not to burn yourself with splatter XD). Each batch of chicken should be done after 5-7mins. Put finished pieces onto plate with paper towel laid out so you can plot the excess oil.

Fifth, Enjoy~!

398918_3241873041572_1109211254_32218781_1159556801_n.jpg

Edited by LunarEdge

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I thought I'd share this here since everyone should try it

IMG_1912sm.jpg

The image should link to the full recipe but here is the simple version

Creamy Crock Pot Spaghetti

1 pound lean ground beef

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or salt

3 jars 26 ounce pasta sauce

1 pound spaghetti noodles

1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese

4 ounces cream cheese

1-2 cups chicken broth

1. Cook/brown beef into a medium skillet over medium heat until crumbled and browned Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Drain fat from pan if necessary.

2. Pour one jar of pasta sauce into bottom of crock pot on high heat. Break spaghetti noodles in half and place noodles over sauce. Pour cooked beef over noodles, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and top with cubes of cream cheese. Pour another jar of pasta over cream cheese, close lid and let cook on high for 3 hours. After 3 hours, give a good stir (will be thick) and add last jar of pasta sauce and 1-2 cups of chicken broth (more if you want a thinner sauce). Close lid and let cook another hour or until ready to serve.

Makes 10-12 servings

I skipped the chicken broth and instead added brown sugar mixed with water. My reccomendation is don't skimp on the sauce or you will have a very cheesy tasting pasta (which is still good). I only used 1 jar at first, but after taking it out of the crock pot and tasting it when I put away the leftovers I added another half a jar and it is yummy as can be.....and tastes great to heat up the second time around.

For New Years I'm making chile+cream cheese chip dip and crock pot meatballs which are just a jar of chile sauce, a jar of grape jelly, frozen meatballs, and however much coke you can fit in the crock pot between that. So good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It still baffles me how this recipe is going to take 3 jars of sauce, or better yet takes 4 hours for something that normally takes 8 minutes.

I didn't get any cream cheese, but I may just use more parmesian or something.

I thought I'd share this here since everyone should try it

IMG_1912sm.jpg

AHHHGH thank you Pelly!

I live in a rented basement and the condition from the family upstairs is that I cannot cook, because of a fire issue with a previous tenant. I posted a list in this topic because I love cooking, but I am reduced now to salads and bagels and microwavable shit. Thing is I have a crock pot. I've been wondering about pasta in it for weeks now. I am gonna use the fuck outta this recipe. I wonder if I can substitute the cream cheese for some kinda Spanish crema, like the Honduran or Mexican stuff. I've never been so excited for noodles in my life but I'm reaching some kinda breaking point here.

Edited by American Ristar

• 7 months later...

So I went ahead and made this today.

1003497_10201358110942132_1601704464_n.j

It tastes much better than you think it might.

CHICKEN AND WAFFLES FOR LIFE.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

That looks ludicrously unhealthy.

Guys guys guys

If you want to make some really good Japanese food, then you have to check out Cooking with Dog on YouTube. Their recipes are amazing~ me and my boyfriend have already used one of them (with slight alternations of course!) and it was great! Oh, and there's a cute poodle in it too! Here is the recipe we used. ^^

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7fZjiLV36c

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend showed me that, actually... and when I saw the title of the show and saw the puppy there, I was wondering which part of Asia this video was being broadcast from - "Cooking with dog?! But... but I don't want to eat a cute poodle!" D: 

Syntax fail on my part. :P

I made the shepherd's pie from Scott Pilgrim for dinner tonight, we've had it a few times and it's always yummy. It's from volume two (I think), but to give you an idea of what's in it:

tumblr_l16mffPfo01qz7iaw.jpg

Takes about 30 minutes to put together? Plus when Stephen Stills tells you to make something, you make it.

I don't have any photos of the one I made because, well, we ate it.

• Thumbs Up 1