Awoo.

The Cooking Topic.

King Frosty

Roast Dinner I made for Easter Sunday since it came out really nice looking before I started eating it lol.

tumblr_n4jxytaX1d1sqw90jo1_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

So...

8ejpFJX.png

Has anyone tried this?

I had a thought.

What if some of us did a thing where we made our own chili dogs and posted it here on SSMB? It could be a cool community activity. I mean, I certainly would opt to cook a chili dog or 2.. or 3... or 27..

• Thumbs Up 1

That'd be a fun activity.  Damn though simmer for 1 hour?  I dun think I have the patience to make home-made chilli.

I make my chilli dogs with vegetable chilli out of a can, veggie dogs, and I put crushed tortilla chips into the bun and a dollop of sour cream on top.  They're messy but delicious.

Of course, we could do whatever recipes we liked!

...brb, planning; have an idea, no promises~

• 3 years later...

Okay more than 3 years later I have a recipe now. In honor of Sonic Mania.

TROP032.png&key=4d642aaa09aef8cbef33638c

Hot Dog Chili

Meant for 8 chili dogs, but you might have leftovers.

Concept: You want a meaty sauce over your hot dog. You're going to cook the meat with some veggies and hot peppers if you like. I don't recommend beans, but if that's your jam, don't let me stop you from putting it on your toast. Kidney beans are the way to go for chili. Anyway, you don't want just any old chili. It needs to be able to sit on that dog and not splash everywhere. While there's no such thing as the correct chili, but for hot dogs, there are some rules if you want it to work. Here's my recipe.

1 pound of ground beef. (you might want to use less, but that's up to how much chili you want on that dog)
8 ounces of tomato puree. (buy a bigger can and add as much as it takes to get the consistency right)
1 yellow or white onion. (chop these babies up ahead of time)
??? Jalapenos and other hot peppers (this is totally up to you if you like it hot! chop 'em up though. less seeds means less heat.
Worcestershire sauce. (just a dab or two. or three.)
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder (to taste, up to you how much seasonings you want)
Cornstarch (1 tablespoon, maybe more, depending on how it thickens)

Brown the meat on med-high heat with the seasonings. Be modest with it, once you get the full pot boiling, taste test and add more seasonings if you want. If you have especially fatty meat (anything less than 90% lean) you're probably going to end up draining the fat. Save some fat in the pan so you can...

Saute the onions and peppers (if you have any) along with the seasoned meat. Add the onions and peppers just as the meat is browning, not fully pink, not fully cooked. Stir often. Then...

Add the tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. It should have the consistency of a sloppy joe. If it seems a little viscous, don't worry, you're cooking it down with...

Cornstarch. Get a tiny bowl and add some of the chili liquid and mix the cornstarch into it until it makes a pasty liquid. No lumps. Add in that liquid into the full chili pot. This will help thicken it up...

Give it a good stir. Let it sit on low. This is where you need to use your judgement. You want something thick and chunky, because this is sitting on a hot dog. Anything runnier could cause your hot dog to break apart. So if it seems too runny, let it cook down first. If it's too thick and chunky, add some more tomato puree. With chili, you need to eyeball it from time to time and taste test it, micromanage it, it's a lot of work to get it just right. But It's so worth it. The cooking on low process could take anywhere between an hour to several. For hot dogs, don't worry about cooking it for so long. An hour or two is okay. Just make sure it's the right consistency.
When you're done, you move on to the hot dog.

Boil that son of a gun until it's got a nice even temperature. Then broil it in the oven until one side is brown and almost burnt. Turn around and repeat for the other side. This is better than grilling, because cooking over an open fire gives it that good look, but it doesn't cook evenly. Boiling does, and all broiling for a minute or two will do is crisp up the outside.

Place the hot dog on the bun, add ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, more jalapenos, whatever you want. Chili goes on top. If you over do the chili, that dog will definitely break. Honestly, your dog will break no matter what, because that's life. Bring a napkin. It's okay.

Toast the bun with butter and cheese for top tier experience. I recommend sharp cheddar, pepper jack or monterray jack cheeses.

---

"But I don't have enough time for that!"

Yes you do.

But I'll bite.

There's a short cut. Not as tasty, but it can get you that correct consistency for little effort.

w5NHIBt.png

See this tin of chili?

See how there's a hot dog on it?

LIES AND SLANDER

You put that on a hot dog it'll slop all over and give you depression. Here's what ya do.

Grab a half a pound of ground beef, brown it with the seasonings mentioned in the other recipe, and add onions and peppers. Now, normally you add tomato puree, right? Well this time, add the canned chili. No need for tomato, cornstarch, sauces, etc. This covers the consistency problem. It will take about half an hour of cooking on medium to low heat. Not as tasty, but there you are. Canned chili is supposed to have meat in it, but the meat is not really... there. So the ground beef we add will give it the substance it so dearly needs. Same rules for hot dogs and buns apply here. 

Enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Don't forget to make your Mania Dogs on Mania launch day. And serve them up with a side of stuffed nachos, for true Mania authenticity.

• Nice Smile 3

I am going to make a vegan version of that plus blue color dye to give it that Sonic feel

On 4/26/2014 at 9:36 PM, Indigo Rush said:

So...

8ejpFJX.png

Has anyone tried this?

I had a thought.

What if some of us did a thing where we made our own chili dogs and posted it here on SSMB? It could be a cool community activity. I mean, I certainly would opt to cook a chili dog or 2.. or 3... or 27..

This looks like a great menu to try this weekend, I hope that I will be able to perfect the dish this time. 

On 8/6/2017 at 5:07 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Okay more than 3 years later I have a recipe now. In honor of Sonic Mania.

TROP032.png&key=4d642aaa09aef8cbef33638c

Hot Dog Chili

Meant for 8 chili dogs, but you might have leftovers.

Concept: You want a meaty sauce over your hot dog. You're going to cook the meat with some veggies and hot peppers if you like. I don't recommend beans, but if that's your jam, don't let me stop you from putting it on your toast. Kidney beans are the way to go for chili. Anyway, you don't want just any old chili. It needs to be able to sit on that dog and not splash everywhere. While there's no such thing as the correct chili, but for hot dogs, there are some rules if you want it to work. Here's my recipe.

1 pound of ground beef. (you might want to use less, but that's up to how much chili you want on that dog)
8 ounces of tomato puree. (buy a bigger can and add as much as it takes to get the consistency right)
1 yellow or white onion. (chop these babies up ahead of time)
??? Jalapenos and other hot peppers (this is totally up to you if you like it hot! chop 'em up though. less seeds means less heat.
Worcestershire sauce. (just a dab or two. or three.)
Garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, chili powder (to taste, up to you how much seasonings you want)
Cornstarch (1 tablespoon, maybe more, depending on how it thickens)

Brown the meat on med-high heat with the seasonings. Be modest with it, once you get the full pot boiling, taste test and add more seasonings if you want. If you have especially fatty meat (anything less than 90% lean) you're probably going to end up draining the fat. Save some fat in the pan so you can...

Saute the onions and peppers (if you have any) along with the seasoned meat. Add the onions and peppers just as the meat is browning, not fully pink, not fully cooked. Stir often. Then...

Add the tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. It should have the consistency of a sloppy joe. If it seems a little viscous, don't worry, you're cooking it down with...

Cornstarch. Get a tiny bowl and add some of the chili liquid and mix the cornstarch into it until it makes a pasty liquid. No lumps. Add in that liquid into the full chili pot. This will help thicken it up...

Give it a good stir. Let it sit on low. This is where you need to use your judgement. You want something thick and chunky, because this is sitting on a hot dog. Anything runnier could cause your hot dog to break apart. So if it seems too runny, let it cook down first. If it's too thick and chunky, add some more tomato puree. With chili, you need to eyeball it from time to time and taste test it, micromanage it, it's a lot of work to get it just right. But It's so worth it. The cooking on low process could take anywhere between an hour to several. For hot dogs, don't worry about cooking it for so long. An hour or two is okay. Just make sure it's the right consistency.
When you're done, you move on to the hot dog.

Boil that son of a gun until it's got a nice even temperature. Then broil it in the oven until one side is brown and almost burnt. Turn around and repeat for the other side. This is better than grilling, because cooking over an open fire gives it that good look, but it doesn't cook evenly. Boiling does, and all broiling for a minute or two will do is crisp up the outside.

Place the hot dog on the bun, add ketchup, mustard, relish, onions, more jalapenos, whatever you want. Chili goes on top. If you over do the chili, that dog will definitely break. Honestly, your dog will break no matter what, because that's life. Bring a napkin. It's okay.

Toast the bun with butter and cheese for top tier experience. I recommend sharp cheddar, pepper jack or monterray jack cheeses.

---

"But I don't have enough time for that!"

Yes you do.

But I'll bite.

There's a short cut. Not as tasty, but it can get you that correct consistency for little effort.

w5NHIBt.png

See this tin of chili?

See how there's a hot dog on it?

LIES AND SLANDER

You put that on a hot dog it'll slop all over and give you depression. Here's what ya do.

Grab a half a pound of ground beef, brown it with the seasonings mentioned in the other recipe, and add onions and peppers. Now, normally you add tomato puree, right? Well this time, add the canned chili. No need for tomato, cornstarch, sauces, etc. This covers the consistency problem. It will take about half an hour of cooking on medium to low heat. Not as tasty, but there you are. Canned chili is supposed to have meat in it, but the meat is not really... there. So the ground beef we add will give it the substance it so dearly needs. Same rules for hot dogs and buns apply here. 

Enjoy.

@Indigo Rush: alright so I figured a lot of this stuff out by now, but there's one thing I'm unclear on: where do you transfer from cooking the meat with fat in a pan, to the pot you're going to be boiling the chili in? Ir is it cooked in the pan itself with the fat? If not, do you need to add any water for the puree and stuff to boil without burning, and how much if so?

Cook the beef and drain the fat out from the main pot and into a separate waste, you'll want to wait for it to cool before you trash it, because it'll be hot enough to burn through the plastic.

I hadn't considered transferring it from the pan to a separate pot, that's a good idea. Go for it!

Either way, don't drain it in the sink, because the fat would solidify and clog up the plumbing, bad news!

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Cook the beef and drain the fat out from the main pot and into a separate waste, you'll want to wait for it to cool before you trash it, because it'll be hot enough to burn through the plastic.

I hadn't considered transferring it from the pan to a separate pot, that's a good idea. Go for it!

Either way, don't drain it in the sink, because the fat would solidify and clog up the plumbing, bad news!

Alright, yeah I live in the country so disposing of it won't be much of an issue for me.

So the puree is liquid enough to boil without any water or fat, then? I haven't exactly cooked with puree before so I wouldn't know, lol, just trying to make sure of the specifics ahead of time before I dive into it

4 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Alright, yeah I live in the country so disposing of it won't be much of an issue for me.

So the puree is liquid enough to boil without any water or fat, then? I haven't exactly cooked with puree before so I wouldn't know, lol, just trying to make sure of the specifics ahead of time before I dive into it

The tomato puree is plenty liquid enough. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

US7Jl4j.jpg

I've done it...

Was not expecting the chili to be that thick, or the amount of puree to be used so little, lol. To be honest the amount was far too small for me, and there was barely any liquid to speak of to drain into the cornstarch. Just added more puree and maybe half a cup of water, and it worked out well enough, though. Must be a difference in brand consistancy or something...

YNOMoiz.jpg

And man, these taste good. I've eaten some good hot dogs before, but good gravy, following the cooking instructions for the hot dogs just made those alone taste a thousand times better, and the toasted, buttered buns.... Oh man. This is the way I'm preparing all my hot dog buns from now on, lol. The chili tastes really good as well, though I think the taste is a bit off. I don't do much cooking, but maybe if I cook this a few more times I'll get a hold of the taste that I want out of it. The peppers sound like a good addition in hindsight, as well.

Really great recipe overall, and I get to eat them just before Mania releases, as well!

W1dOxtB.jpg

Thanks for the recipe, @Indigo Rush! It's way past cool delicious!

Also yes I made a normal ketchup and mustard hot dog alongside them. What's wrong with that >:V

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are mine:

tYCOySK.jpg

Made with homemade chili. My peppers of choice were jalapeno, red chili peppers, and habanero!