Awoo.

Hypersonic weapon: New US bomb kills long before you hear it

Mick

Hypersonic weapon: New US bomb kills long before you hear it — RT

The US Army has tested a hypersonic missile, which travels six times faster than the speed of sound. It is part of a larger plan to have the capability to strike any place on the planet within an hour.

Coming to a COD game in the near future.tongue.png

EDIT: Seriously though imagine putting a nuke in that missle!huh.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, it's not like they don't already have a bomb so powerful no one on Earth can be allowed to ever use it for fear of setting a precedent that would start a chain of events resulting in the destruction of civilisation as we know it.

Guess they really want super-advanced bombs that don't doom mankind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it's not like they don't already have a bomb so powerful no one on Earth can be allowed to ever use it for fear of setting a precedent that would start a chain of events resulting in the destruction of civilisation as we know it.

Guess they really want super-advanced bombs that don't doom mankind.

Wouldn't they doom mankind if they make it into a hypersonic nuclear ICBM!unsure.png

Six times faster than the speed of sound? Eggman seriously needs to see this.

No boost pad needed! biggrin.png

Edited by BW199148

Oh noes, then Sonic and his pals are in danger if he sees it! :P

So...

...anybody want to join me in digging a trench?

About 1,000 meters deep?

;_;

• Thumbs Up 4

Wouldn't they doom mankind if they make it into a hypersonic nuclear ICBM!unsure.png

No more than a regular nuclear ICBM. Somebody starts using those and it's Whoops Apocalypse.

Honestly, in terms power projection this doesn't mean that much.

Not to other potential superpowers at least. China still has their ASBM being a very high threat to supercarriers near their waters, but from what I've gathered they're still testing that. Of course I don't know much about global politics when it comes to military matters.

This also reminds me of the HTH-2 aircraft that the military lost contact with a few months back.

Sonic is fucked.

Does it use nothing but sound to kill? Holy shit, how loud can that be and how far can it travel?

So basically America is telling the other countries "don't tick us off or we'll blow you up in an hour"?

Oh God.

If America or any nation with a missile offensive system wanted to do that, they would just overwhelm the target with multiple launches.

Not to mention, a missile travelling at that speed would be drastically more expensive over say a typical cruse missile or any other type of standard weapon.

Such a weapon which is capable of hypersonic travel would most likely be used to hit targets based off intelligence e.g. "Gadaffi was spotted eating in *****" or for something which required an imediate responce. It wouldn't be something that would be used for bombing campaigns like we saw during the start of the Iraq war or even the air strikes in Lybia.

It's not like anyone should really be having sleepless nights about this. I remember back in the 90's there was people here in the UK practically panicking over a new bomb that the UK had created, it created a powerful vaccume which killed people not so much by the blast, but by the air escaping directly from a persons lungs. Yeah scary stuff, but nothing you should worry about.

If America or any nation with a missile offensive system wanted to do that, they would just overwhelm the target with multiple launches.

Not to mention, a missile travelling at that speed would be drastically more expensive over say a typical cruse missile or any other type of standard weapon.

Such a weapon which is capable of hypersonic travel would most likely be used to hit targets based off intelligence e.g. "Gadaffi was spotted eating in *****" or for something which required an imediate responce. It wouldn't be something that would be used for bombing campaigns like we saw during the start of the Iraq war or even the air strikes in Lybia.

It's not like anyone should really be having sleepless nights about this. I remember back in the 90's there was people here in the UK practically panicking over a new bomb that the UK had created, it created a powerful vaccume which killed people not so much by the blast, but by the air escaping directly from a persons lungs. Yeah scary stuff, but nothing you should worry about.

I always thought that the ultimate destructive threat to the world was God setting his farts on fire.biggrin.png

EDIT: Is this the missle? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-51

Edited by BW199148

That isn't a missile. That is really just an aerodynamic testing drone with a scramjet shoved into it. Think along the lines of the clay models that automotive companies use in wind tunnels.

Or when compared to just loading "normal" bombs into a B2 and doing flyovers, which have no greater chance of being intercepted by whoever is getting hit than a missile that goes a couple thousand MPH.

Basically, the United States (and several other countries, France and the U.K. included) already has the capability to completely obliterate most of the countries in the world before they would even know what happened simply using conventional weaponry. This won't change anything in that regard, and is really just the kind of thing that would be used for fast surgical strikes.

Edited by Tornado

Obliteration has always been around. Nowadays its all about precision. As Tornado says, fast and surgical strikes. Take out key areas and targets quickly and leave as little collateral damage as possible.

The US Army has tested a hypersonic missile, which travels six times faster than the speed of sound. It is part of a larger plan to have the capability to strike any place on the planet within an hour.

It is part of a larger plan to have the capability to strike any place on the planet within an hour.

Well, now we know what weapon MGS5 is going to center around.

Basically, the United States (and several other countries, France and the U.K. included) already has the capability to completely obliterate most of the countries in the world before they would even know what happened simply using conventional weaponry. This won't change anything in that regard, and is really just the kind of thing that would be used for fast surgical strikes.

I'm not that familiar with missile physics, but I imagine traveling 6 times faster than sound would make it harder to detect by sonar-based technology or at least have to be much closer to its destination before it can be picked up. I think that's pretty important, especially if the enemy has the means to shoot it down.

Edited by SuperStingray

I'm not that familiar with missile physics, but I imagine traveling 6 times faster than sound would make it harder to detect by sonar-based technology or at least have to be much closer to its destination before it can be picked up. I think that's pretty important, especially if the enemy has the means to shoot it down.

You can count on one hand the amount of countries that could detect a B2 before it would be far too late to do anything about it, let alone shoot one down.

Edited by Tornado

First, it's actually radar-based technology that detects missiles. Sonar is used for submarines underwater.

And I don't think it would be hard to detect, but it will be hard to intercept given how other countries wouldn't have means to hit it with something fast enough to reach it.

But even then, there are other ways to attack a target undetected. The B2 bomber as Tornado mentioned is one, then there's the F22 Raptor (which if I recall got cancelled due to it's high cost), both of which are stealth planes that wouldn't be easy to track by the time they've already hit their mark.