Awoo.

Sonic Unleashed going Mobile

Gatestormer

Yup.

5 hours ago Gameloft updated their twitter blog with a suprising update.

Gameloft Twitter

Gameloft will be bringing Sonic Unleashed to mobile phones in June 2009.

Gameloft recently developd Assassin's Creed-Altaïr's Chronicles' for the iPhone, I don't know how that turned out or what their reputation is?

I'm not really sure what to say but this is incredibly shocking but highly interesting for me....Mobile phones could include the iPhone, so could we be seeing Unleashed on the iPhone and iPod Touch as well? If I'm honest I'm even wondering if this is some kind of joke...is it me or was April Fools a month ago? How are they gonna do it?

What version will it be based on?

Will it include the Werehog?

Will it have the 2D/3D switching?

Boost?

Cutscenes?

What will it be like?!

One thing's for certain, SEGA aren't finished with Unleashed yet...

Edited by ENVY16

What version will it be based on?

Neither. Sonic has to collect the Emeralds

Will it include the Werehog?

Probably not

Will it have the 2D/3D switching?

Sure it'll be 100% 2D

Boost?

Doubtful.

Cutscenes?

Ahahaha!

What will it be like?!

It'll share the name, and possibly level themes. It'll be like other run-of-the-mill phone games.

Edited by Blue Blood

One word..... LAME! Can't believe they would waste time and make a mobile version of this game and not even include the stuff that made the game fun, BOOST and 3D sections.

One word..... LAME! Can't believe they would waste time and make a mobile version of this game and not even include the stuff that made the game fun, BOOST and 3D sections.

They had to scale down the game for PS2 and Wii pretty drastically and they're current-gen consoles. You seem to be really overestimating the power of most people's mobile phones if you honestly expected 3D.

(This actually makes me a bit sad that my phone is so old... once this is out I can no longer say I've 100%'d both versions of Unleashed since there'll technically be a third =( That and I'm a total Unleashed fanboy so I want to play it regardless).

Edited by JezMM

Ok I'm in. I bought Unleashed on PS2, Wii and 360 and I'd definitely get this one if it's different enough. I wanna see it!

Eh, who cares =P SEGA isn't making it. More money for SEGA, fine by me, and who knows =P it might end up better then the Wii version.

They had to scale down the game for PS2 and Wii pretty drastically and they're current-gen consoles. You seem to be really overestimating the power of most people's mobile phones if you honestly expected 3D.

(This actually makes me a bit sad that my phone is so old... once this is out I can no longer say I've 100%'d both versions of Unleashed since there'll technically be a third =( That and I'm a total Unleashed fanboy so I want to play it regardless).

Oh, well when I saw mobile I was thinking I-phone and G1, not the other normal cellphones.

The first of these, releasing in June across the PAL territories, will be a mobile version of Sonic Unleashed, which Gameloft describes as a "high speed 2D side-scrolling adventure that stays true to what’s made Sonic such a popular and critical success over the years."

Sonic Unleashed for mobile lets users play as regular Sonic or night-born Werehog Sonic, up against regular villain Dr. Eggman in a quest to collect the Chaos Emeralds. The mobile edition of the game also promises a new Sonic "personality" with new skills.

partnership between Gameloft and SEGA® Europe Ltd.

"With so much entertainment on the go, it seems natural to provide fans with a mobile game based on the much loved Sonic brand," said Gary Rowe, A&R director for Sega Europe. "Gameloft’s unwavering commitment to quality mobile games combined with a successful track record of bestsellers and unmatched worldwide distribution make them uniquely qualified to develop Sonic Unleashed™ for mobile."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23504

If you're expecting an actual port you're pityfully mistaken. It'll probably be a simple 2D side scroller with edited SA sprites and levels themed after the console versions.

Ok I'm in. I bought Unleashed on PS2, Wii and 360 and I'd definitely get this one if it's different enough. I wanna see it!

This is why they make them, and I think it's a good idea. Especially if you don't have a handheld console and want to play Sonic on the go. Sure it won't be great, but it's something. Plus I'd rather play Sonic on my phone than mini-golf like my friend has on his phone (I just have an old Nokia so I have Snake lol).

Bah, I'd rather just play a sonic advance or sonic rush or rivals game on a handheld.

I've tried mobile platformers, and IMO, they suck. Especially if they're fast-paced platformers. Even though I liked Unleashed, I won't be trying this.

This is being made by Gameloft, a dedicated cell phone developer. Not Sonic Team.

I care as much about this as Diner Dash (Not at all).

I sincerely hope that there will be an iPod Touch/iPhone release.

Well, it's sure to be better than a normal mobile phone release.

Me too.

Can you believe it, I actually had a dream about this game last night. They brought out two versions of the game. The first was very much like Sonic Rush, the second game was a lot more like the Genesis Sonic's. My phone stopped playing the first game (which I really enjoyed) and so I had to play the second game only.

However, WWE wrestler Shawn Michaels had a competition where entrants could win a copy of the first game. There were about 10 people involved in this compo including myself, and we had to make the best mashed potato...

I almost won but my mashed potato disappeared from my plate (it vanished). That's it =D.

Anyway I'm expecting a Sonic Advance type game graphics wise. I can't wait to see this. It HAS to come out on iPod Touch (because that's all I've got).

I definately won't be playing it or buy it. (Don't do mobile games) But this looks like it might be interesting, if it's anything like Sonic Unleashed on the consoles. I'm rather eager to see what this'll turn out to be.

If it's Sonic Advance style I'm interested. There's no way it'll be released internationally (except for on iApplerelatedthing) or maybe a downloadable service version is on the cards (Wiiware/PSN/XBLAH anyone? Happened for FFIV-2, Crystal Defenders... and hopefully Before Crisis >_>)

Mmmn, I dunno if this is a good idea. The best I would hope for would be a simplified Sonic Rush. Which would be great, actually. But I doubt it'd come anywhere close in terms of quality. I'm even betting they keep the Werehog in because it's easier to make that way. I've got a cheap freebie phone, but maybe one of my cellphone fanatic friends will get this.

Edited by Badnikz

I absolutely don't know what to make of this. If they were making a DS or PSP version of Unleashed, I'd be interested. But I have my doubts about them doing the game on mobile phones instead. Until we've seen one or two screenshots of it, I can't see myself trying it out.

Can you believe it, I actually had a dream about this game last night. They brought out two versions of the game. The first was very much like Sonic Rush, the second game was a lot more like the Genesis Sonic's. My phone stopped playing the first game (which I really enjoyed) and so I had to play the second game only.

However, WWE wrestler Shawn Michaels had a competition where entrants could win a copy of the first game. There were about 10 people involved in this compo including myself, and we had to make the best mashed potato...

I almost won but my mashed potato disappeared from my plate (it vanished). That's it =D.

Wow. You have awesome dreams, sir.

Anyway, Sonic mobile games tend to be very sized down and not very deep, but they can be quite fun if done right (Sonic Jump anyway). It's just worth keeping in mind that this doesn't have to be a deep console port to at least provide a fun experience, even if all you're doing is collecting some rings and punching out a few badniks - it's all in the execution. (And I really don't know what to expect.)

Also, if this does actually end up on the iphone - it's a little less to worry about since it is fairly powerful compared to your run-of-the-mill mobile gaming hardware, it's even got a few games in full 3D. That's not to say having something like Unleashed running on it would be a good idea, but it has the most potential.

Release a DS & PSP version. That would be awesome.

Mobile.......I don't really think so. Might be bad, but hey, look at Zero Gravity. It was shun down for being a Riders sequal, but was awesome!

Might be bad, but hey, look at Zero Gravity. It was shun down for being a Riders sequal, but was awesome!

What does this have to do with mobile games, though?

^ Don't judge a book by its cover. Or what i meny was, we don't have any vids or screenshots. So it might suck, it might not.